Everton vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

I think that's positive from Hughes..shows he isn't as stubborn as some believe.

Stephens and Hoedt did OK in some games last season so not sure why such a big downer on them?

Have you actually seem Hoedt play he runs like Bambi on ice and is always prone to at least 1 or 2 costly mistakes each game. had one last week at home to Burnley where he passed the ball back into his own penalty area and they almost scored as a result, would of preferred Maya or Jan in for him........but we'll see, hope i'm wrong

Not a fan of the lineup or bench

Disappointing that there is no vestergaard. Though there could have been worse games to be without him. I'd prefer yoshi for hoedt.

What is long doing making the bench? Disappointing that he's persisting with him rather than giving anyone else a chance.

Also assume armstrong can't be fully fit or else he would be starting

Anyone know why Yoshida is not getting picked? Fitness concerns after World Cup?

If not for fitness reasons, I don’t get how anyone can think Stephens and Hoedt are a better bet in centre defence than Yoshida, very odd.

The midfield boys are going to need to have a very good day to protect that defence, but feel we could be a threat going forward with this line up. Hopefully JWP can help get better service to Austin so may see more of him this week.

Hughes more or less said he'd pick horses for courses. Certainly isn't Aintree with that line-up.

I just hope Armstrong, Vestergaard, Gabbiadini & Yoshida are incapacitated in one way or another 'cos if Hughes thinks the blokes he selected are better than them then we are in big trouble.

I was optimistic for a 0-0 with a late chance of a winner, totally deflated now. Definitely not going for it today.

Hughes more or less said he'd pick horses for courses. Certainly isn't Aintree with that line-up.

I just hope Armstrong, Vestergaard, Gabbiadini & Yoshida are incapacitated in one way or another 'cos if Hughes thinks the blokes he selected are better than them then we are in big trouble.

I was optimistic for a 0-0 with a late chance of a winner, totally deflated now. Definitely not going for it today.

Armstrong went off vs Burnley with an injury and Vestergaard is ill.

Is it just Saints lineups that get some of your knickers in a twist or are people like that for everything?

Maybe it’s some sort of anxiety disorder. Talking to your doctor might help.

Do you think it’s a good idea playing Stephens and Hoedt at centre back in a 4 man defence?

Okay, we're going to get annihilated.

See you next week.

Yep, I’d take a 4-0 defeat and prepare for Leicester. Anything less than 3-0 would be a decent effort and GD could be important at the end of the season in staying up. Gao, Reed and Kreuger are just about to find out what the PL is about.

Utterly confused about Bednarek. Everyone sang his praises when he played last season. He had a good world cup, now neither Hughes nor anyone here seems interested in him.

I would rather have Bednarek in than Hoedt, but more confused about Yoshida being left out to be honest.

well given injuries/travel to vest + Mo, not the worst line up. I do agree the only question marks are

Why Austin not Gabbi

Why JWP not Armstrong

Why Stephens not Yoshi

Armstrong is the biggest loss of those (for JWP). Gabbiadini can be hit or miss. Yoshida I would prefer you stephens but he has had some decent games.

well given injuries/travel to vest + Mo, not the worst line up. I do agree the only question marks are

Why Austin not Gabbi

Why JWP not Armstrong

Why Stephens not Yoshi

Armstrong is the biggest loss of those (for JWP). Gabbiadini can be hit or miss. Yoshida I would prefer you stephens but he has had some decent games.

Because Armstrong went off injured in the game vs Burnley and isn't fully fit.

Yep, I’d take a 4-0 defeat and prepare for Leicester. Anything less than 3-0 would be a decent effort and GD could be important at the end of the season in staying up. Gao, Reed and Kreuger are just about to find out what the PL is about.

Our fans FFS. Fck off and do some shopping.

Looking at that lineup, I'm going for 4-0. :-(

Are these overly negative pre-match predictions done for superstitious purposes?

Dunno why the negativity - i think it'll be a close game. Providing we frustrate them we could get a point. Hoedt selection still baffles, but if he performs badly he'll be out of the side. I like the fact Ings is in, he'll be a pain for Everton to deal with. Some set piece delivery by JWP could cause Everton problems. The problem for Everton is they've spent lots of money and the expectation is huge, so we have to keep tight and frustrate their fans and hit on the break in the second half as they get more desperate for a goal. The key is not to concede early.