Redmond

Dazza82

I liked Armstrongs performance, but he is pedestrian pace wise. Lets see him after a few games before crowning him king

Redmond isn't quick either. I'm not saying he's slow - just average. Very, very rarely see him outstrip anyone for flat out pace, same as most of the rest of our squad.

But you're absolutely right that Armstrong hasn't done enough yet either way. Still, we bought him to play in central attacking midfield, so we should probably at least give him a run there before letting Redmond (who has has several years now to regularly put in meaningful performances) to nip in ahead of him.

Its almost like our fans were oblivious to how negative our previous two managers were?

We have decent attacking players. They had bad games because we played with 10men behind the ball even when attacking...

Yeh couldn't agree more with this. Redmond is one of the players who will benefit with the shackles taken off a bit.

Well his place is not under threat from those players. He is a decent player but it is buffoons like yourself who have such mind-sets that are so embedded you cant give him the credit he deserves.

No need for rudeness. One half decent performance does not make an average player into a superstar and it doesn't matter which player we are talking about.

Can someone please define what they mean by pace? If you just want flat out pace, sign Usain Bolt and be done with it.

Movement, team shape, and speed of pass are much more important qualities in the team. The ball can move much faster than anyone can run.

I'm not saying we don't need at least one player who can stretch a defence, but lack of pace does not make a bad player. MLT, Pirlo and many many more effectively prove the point.

Yeh couldn't agree more with this. Redmond is one of the players who will benefit with the shackles taken off a bit.

You could be right, but he was pretty mediocre before he joined us, so I'm not really expecting him to flourish all that much beyond what we've already seen. Redmond's problem is he doesn't have any outstanding qualities - he's not particularly quick, not especially tricky or inventive, and he's not a great finisher or passer. You need to be better than average in at least one of those categories to have a reliable attacking impact on games, and he's just middling in all of them.

Can someone please define what they mean by pace? If you just want flat out pace, sign Usain Bolt and be done with it.

Movement, team shape, and speed of pass are much more important qualities in the team. The ball can move much faster than anyone can run.

I'm not saying we don't need at least one player who can stretch a defence, but lack of pace does not make a bad player. MLT, Pirlo and many many more effectively prove the point.

I think you've answered your own question. Having a player with pace (and some footballing ability, obviously) also changes the complexion of the game because the opposition can't afford to ignore that threat by committing players forward or playing a high line.

I think you've answered your own question. Having a player with pace (and some footballing ability, obviously) also changes the complexion of the game because the opposition can't afford to ignore that threat by committing players forward or playing a high line.

I noticed a criticism of Armstrong because of pace, and another of Redmond. I just don't think that they're valid criticism in isolation.

If only we still had Jonno Quick.

Still needs to learn to pass. Anyone can run at someone.

Looool. Keeping the ball under control, whilst running at pace and beating a man (top level defenders) is arguably one of the hardest skills as a footballer.

Looool. Keeping the ball under control, whilst running at pace and beating a man (top level defenders) is arguably one of the hardest skills as a footballer.

Well if he's that good then maybe he should have mastered the art of passing by now. On the list of hard football skills that must rank somehow near the bottom yes?

Or, more likely, he's a greedy little cvnt.

Well if he's that good then maybe he should have mastered the art of passing by now. On the list of hard football skills that must rank somehow near the bottom yes?

Whether you like him as a player or not, any objective observer would struggle to find evidence for your final sentence.

No need for rudeness. One half decent performance does not make an average player into a superstar and it doesn't matter which player we are talking about.
You are correct, whilst I didn't mean to be rude, but frustrated with the typical nonsense about him I read on here. We as fans put extra pressure on players by the constant moaning from the stands, that doesn't help the player and so he is more likely to hide or make a mistake. Get behind him and help him to evolve/improve. On sunday he was one of the outstanding players. Cheer him instead of moan at him.

Someone might have the time to look up his pass accuracy and compare to similar players. As when MLT was overlooked by England ( I'm not saying they are the same BTW) as he was said to be wasteful , he said something on the lines of if you want me to make 3yard passes I will do that 100% of the time, but he wanted to make more telling passes

The constant carping about some of our players is disappointing. People who have used this thread to criticise Nathan Redmond should look at his record. He made his top level professional debut at the age of 16 and has represented England at all levels from under 16's to the full national team. That doesn't necessarily make him as good as some of the world class players in The Prem, bought in by other clubs for multi-million-pound transfer fees, but some of the comments on here by people who would struggle to kick a football are simply absurd. Claiming he can't pass the ball must rank as one of the silliest. Our players are constantly assessed by professional coaches and all are here because of their ability to play at Premier League level. Teams in the Championship would gratefully take any of them, because our squad are so much better than most players at the level below. There needs to be a bit more appreciation for what we have.

Indeed - something made abundantly clear by how rarely Redmond takes on and beats anyone at pace (or by standing them up for that matter).

Verlaine is just another with the prejudice so ingrained he cant see. Just look at Sundays game and he best players multiple times

I acknowledged earlier in the thread that Sunday was Redmond's most effective game in a long, long time. Considering there was still precious little end product to show for it provides ample proof that I'm right about him. Moreover, Redmond wasn't so much beating people against Burnley as he was driving them back towards their own goal. Carrying the ball forward with purpose is something the team has lacked, so I'm glad to see it, but I've no idea what you were watching if you thought Redmond repeatedly beat his man and got in behind during the game.

I acknowledged earlier in the thread that Sunday was Redmond's most effective game in a long, long time. Considering there was still precious little end product to show for it provides ample proof that I'm right about him. Moreover, Redmond wasn't so much beating people against Burnley as he was driving them back towards their own goal. Carrying the ball forward with purpose is something the team has lacked, so I'm glad to see it, but I've no idea what you were watching if you thought Redmond repeatedly beat his man and got in behind during the game.
No he didn't beat his man he beat 2 or 3 at a time. Burnley are so well drilled, at any time there is a chance of an effort on goal there are 3 or 4 back on the goalline or throwing themselves at the ball. They are a real unit and very hard to attack, our new winder got into position to shoot and each time a defender threw himself at the ball to stop the shot coming in.

In this current climate, if you are English and play well for 5-10 games in the Prem, you tend to get a call up to the England squad...

I wonder how many Englishmen started last season thinking that if they had a good season, they would be going to a World Cup.

I wonder if not getting anyway near that squad would be a kick up the backside for people like Redmond (Could probably included JWP)