Redmond

Dazza82

He gets a hell of a lot of stick on here and at St Mary's.

I thought he was Really good today not scared to take on his man or men in some cases and was a real threat for us today! Long may that continue

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

likewise, thought he was a lot better then usual today, but still thought on a lot of occasions he takes too long to release the ball and takes too many touches
he holds the ball so that he can put a player in on goal. You just don't seem to want to give him the credit he deserves

I thought he caused them lots of problems in both halves. He is the one player that gets me off my seat in excitement, once he has gained some more confidence and the crowd support him, you will see a fantastic player come through

The word is that he could be the 'new Thierry Henry' :):):)

Most of the stick he gets is justified based upon his past performances. Let's be honest, our last two managers haven't exactly got the best out of him. Hopefully, Hughes is going to help him become the player that we need him to be.

The penny might have dropped that he needs to perform to stay in the side. Did well today, seemed to spark into life after going on that decent run on the 35 min mark.

I thought he caused them lots of problems in both halves. He is the one player that gets me off my seat in excitement, once he has gained some more confidence and the crowd support him, you will see a fantastic player come through

Hmm, not sure about that. Definitely one of his better performances, and looks like the coaches have encouraged him to be brave, use his pace and take people on. He will be far more effective for this IMHO. But sadly I doubt he'll ever be a top star. In the first couple of minutes he made a poor decision to retain the ball instead of lay it off to Bertrand, leaving Bertrand stranded and us exposed. We got away with a throw in whereupon he decided to berate Bertrand for his cock up

Later in the first half he lost possession by trying to flick the ball behind him onto the left wing ... To s non existent player, clearly forgetting he was the left sided forward at that stage. The nearest player (Bertrand again) was fully 30 yards away. Just two examples I know in an otherwise decent display, but that level of footballing brainlessness, plus his attitude of blaming others will hold him back from ever becoming a truly top player IMHO.

I'm one of his biggest detractors on here but felt he really shaped up well today. Don't know if it's just the confidence to take defenders on or whether he's previously been playing as he's been instructed to, bit whatever happened today, I hope we see a lot more of it. His decision-making and final pass still needs work but credit where it's due, he was massively improved today.

I thought he did quite well, but I didn't see the first 30 minutes...

My frustration with Redmond normally coincides with him playing on the left. He always seems better when he plays centrally or even on the right, so he doesn't constantly cut back inside instead of taking anyone on.

I thought he did quite well, but I didn't see the first 30 minutes...

My frustration with Redmond normally coincides with him playing on the left. He always seems better when he plays centrally or even on the right, so he doesn't constantly cut back inside instead of taking anyone on.

Agree completely. Very, very frustrating to see him run down the left, turn round and pass it back to someone else. Today he was popping up everywhere and mixing things up a lot, much improved and hopefully gets a couple of goals soon to get some more detractors back onside.

Of course, no Redmond thread can be complete without the obligatory New Henry mention.

I despair at a handful of the planks near me moaning about him today. He hits one poor pass straight out of play and they’re on his back , Lamina did the same earlier and not a peep out of them. Had he been a new signing and played like he did today everyone would be wetting themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no fan of Redmond to say the least, not seen anything up to this point to suggest he is good enough to be anywhere near the team. But credit where it's due, he was good in the second half and caused Burnley a few problems.

If he could play like that more often he'd go a long way to changing my opinion of him.

Of course, no Redmond thread can be complete without the obligatory New Henry mention.

I despair at a handful of the planks near me moaning about him today. He hits one poor pass straight out of play and they’re on his back , Lamina did the same earlier and not a peep out of them. Had he been a new signing and played like he did today everyone would be wetting themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, you know fans want he to do badly just to prove their own prejudices.

???????????/

You talk as if he is an 18 yo youngster. He's had years to develop his game and become a 'fantastic' player so not much chance he'll get any better or more consistent than we have seen over the past years.

Of course if his starting place is under threat as it is you would expect him to up his game but doubtful he can keep up the high energy display we saw today for long before he lapses into his old petulant distracted self. He's in danger of being left behind with the likes of Elyonoussi, Armstrong & Ings as competition.

???????????/

You talk as if he is an 18 yo youngster. He's had years to develop his game and become a 'fantastic' player so not much chance he'll get any better or more consistent than we have seen over the past years.

Of course if his starting place is under threat as it is you would expect him to up his game but doubtful he can keep up the high energy display we saw today for long before he lapses into his old petulant distracted self. He's in danger of being left behind with the likes of Elyonoussi, Armstrong & Ings as competition.

Well his place is not under threat from those players. He is a decent player but it is buffoons like yourself who have such mind-sets that are so embedded you cant give him the credit he deserves.

I'm with OldNick on this one. Redmond is one of the few players we have who will run at a player with the ball. Lemina will to a certain extent but he seems to twist and turn players on his shoulder rather than run directly at them. Ings seems he might do it as well, but not at the same level Redmond does.

A positive post!

giphy.gif

I say it how it is.

if we go into games set up like we did yesterday, we will get smashed and hughes will be out of a job soon enough

We looked like a Koeman side after we switched formations

That does not mean it will work every week or 3 at t he back should be ditched forever....just the players we have, it is blindingly obvious a 433/4231 is better for us. Gets us in the game in midfield and allows more of our better players on the pitch in their more favoured positions

Well his place is not under threat from those players. He is a decent player but it is buffoons like yourself who have such mind-sets that are so embedded you cant give him the credit he deserves.

Well said..I read some reports on here and wonder if some go to the game - no matter how some play they slag them off with pre-conceived opinion on a player - Romeu for example - yesterday we were over run yet he blocked - broke it up - got in the way as a shield yet was apparently rubbish despite the fact we had no outlet when we did have the ball.

When we had a 4 sometimes 5 to cover the space we couldnt do with 3 he played even better.

Stephens is another didn't put a foot wrong yesterday in either position.

Redmond had the best game I have seen him have for Saints some of his runs were great and that through ball was superb.

Hoedt is now the whipping boy yet yesterday didnt do too much wrong - he is no VVD but he did ok clean sheet against a tough forward line.

I applaud Dyche for not settling and pushing 2 up front - played some good stuff first half but couldnt cope with our change.

Moi loves a tackle!

I say it how it is.

if we go into games set up like we did yesterday, we will get smashed and hughes will be out of a job soon enough

We looked like a Koeman side after we switched formations

That does not mean it will work every week or 3 at t he back should be ditched forever....just the players we have, it is blindingly obvious a 433/4231 is better for us. Gets us in the game in midfield and allows more of our better players on the pitch in their more favoured positions

You're right, it isn't a black and white decision between 3 or 4 at the back. In his post match comments yesterday Hughes highlighted that part of the issue was the back three not working out who was to push out and engage. The switch to 4 meant is was easier to engage earlier and win the ball higher up the pitch. In turn that brought our more forward players into the game.

I am certain Hughes will persevere and will seek to iron out the issues we saw yesterday.

Redmond was pretty good

The whole team was pretty good after the formation change

I thought Redmond was one of the better players in the first half as well (not saying much).

But it's amazing what can happen when you have pace and actually commit/run at defenders.....for the last two years he's just stopped and gone backwards due to Puel and MP's coaching, now....hopefully....he has someone who actually coaches his ability correctly.

You're right, it isn't a black and white decision between 3 or 4 at the back. In his post match comments yesterday Hughes highlighted that part of the issue was the back three not working out who was to push out and engage. The switch to 4 meant is was easier to engage earlier and win the ball higher up the pitch. In turn that brought our more forward players into the game.

I am certain Hughes will persevere and will seek to iron out the issues we saw yesterday.

Now this is the pertinent bit. I think our last 2 managers persevered with a system that didn't work for too long and were too inflexible. You can take a horse to water, but if it isn't going to drink there's no point flogging it. I'm guessing/hoping that Hughes has been around the PL for long enough to know to be flexible.

One Swallow springs to mind.

I wouldn't say he was MOTM he did lots of what we know he can do, but you could still see steam exhausting from his ears as the cogs whirred round between his ears thinking what to do next.

Whether this is a carry over from last year, when he and others were taking positional instruction from the touchline when defending opposition free kicks outside the box, but yesterday Burnley had a free kick just outside the box and he visibly sought, and received, advice from one of our coaches as to where to stand.

Certainly looked better than he did last season, so hopefully he will deliver what he often tempts us with this season.

At the end of the day Pep can't be wrong. His judgement of Redmond as a good player, that was harnessed frustrated him as a coach. We don't know what Pellegrino made him do, but it was definitely against Redmond as a player.

It seems to me that MH can see his positives and is willing to give him his wings.

At the end of the day Pep can't be wrong. His judgement of Redmond as a good player, that was harnessed frustrated him as a coach. We don't know what Pellegrino made him do, but it was definitely against Redmond as a player.

It seems to me that MH can see his positives and is willing to give him his wings.

Pep did not single out redmond for being a good player. It was a poor passive aggressive rant at how we played, which nearly denied them a win.

That situation with Pep was the biggest load of ******** I'd ever heard. If he thought Redmond was that good then he'd have signed him. He was annoyed that little old Southampton had nearly nicked a point off of his superstars, and tried to make himself look good by saying it was a compliment to Redmond. As per, all the media outlets lapped it up.

Such a frustrating player when on form and confident he looks almost unstoppable but too often he runs up blind alleys and looses the ball or lazes it into the crowd, if Hughes can get him playing anything like consistently well then we will have a very good player on our hands.

Such a frustrating player when on form and confident he looks almost unstoppable but too often he runs up blind alleys and looses the ball or lazes it into the crowd, if Hughes can get him playing anything like consistently well then we will have a very good player on our hands.

Agree he could be a decent player. He looks to be a bit trimmer and more in shape than last season. I like the way he took on the defence in the second half, needs to find that killer pass at the end of it or shot on target.

Also notice that he and Bertrand actually passed to each other in the 2nd half. Often wondered last season if there was a problem between them as they never seem to pass and return to each other.

That situation with Pep was the biggest load of ******** I'd ever heard. If he thought Redmond was that good then he'd have signed him. He was annoyed that little old Southampton had nearly nicked a point off of his superstars, and tried to make himself look good by saying it was a compliment to Redmond. As per, all the media outlets lapped it up.
Yep of course week on week Pep goes out and has a long rant at a player. Redmond the season before caused them loads of problems but under Pellegrino was held back. You believe what you want, but to me Pep wouldn't single out a single opposition player for no reason

He was still being slagged off on the foot bridge post match, the words 'what did Redmond do today' were offered at least twice! :rolleyes:
same mindset as the ones who used to complain about MLT being a luxury player. God the debates I had about him before the Ball days.

Pretty much everything good he did was central, but his starting position for us has always been wide where his lack of sustained pace is a real problem. Those flashes yesterday might be just that, but assuming they really do illuminate where he's most dangerous, I'm still not sure where he fits into the starting 11. #10 is the obvious position, but his passing is pretty gash and he'd be keeping Armstrong out of the side.

It wasn’t just first half or after the change of formation either, he looked brighter and got in behind people a couple of times in the first as well. Him & Armstrong were just about the only positives in a poor first half. With those two & Elyounoussi it looks like we may finally start getting behind sides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much everything good he did was central, but his starting position for us has always been wide where his lack of sustained pace is a real problem. Those flashes yesterday might be just that, but assuming they really do illuminate where he's most dangerous, I'm still not sure where he fits into the starting 11. #10 is the obvious position, but his passing is pretty gash and he'd be keeping Armstrong out of the side.
I liked Armstrongs performance, but he is pedestrian pace wise. Lets see him after a few games before crowning him king