Ben Arfa

Evil Monkey

I was under the impression Premier League clubs couldn't sign anyone, even out of contract players, after last Thursday...

...unless you mean in January, in which case I hope not. Talented but there's better out there.

I was under the impression that clubs are free to sign any player out of contract at anytime.

MLG will probably know for sure, but I did find this link (albeit in the Mirror) that says we can't sign free transfers until January.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-deadline-day-can-free-13044460 I'm sure I read it somewhere else earlier in the summer too. However we did sign Caceres outside a window so either the rules have changed or it's all nonsense and we can still sign out of contract players. I'm not au fait with the rules, I just go by what I read.

MLG will probably know for sure, but I did find this link (albeit in the Mirror) that says we can't sign free transfers until January.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/transfer-deadline-day-can-free-13044460 I'm sure I read it somewhere else earlier in the summer too. However we did sign Caceres outside a window so either the rules have changed or it's all nonsense and we can still sign out of contract players. I'm not au fait with the rules, I just go by what I read.

I guess you mean free agents (as per the article) rather than free transfers. As you say, no incomings of any description till the January window according to that article.

We're still trying to dig ourselves out of the huge hole created by signing several "all talent, no temperament" players, so it would defy belief if we were to do it again. If Hughes couldn't handle Boufal, he won't succeed with Ben Arfa, and I don't think he'd relish being expected to spend time on it.

Think that article is wrong, would be a big change if true.

I think the article is wrong as well, regarding free agents. I have checked the Premier League handbook and there does not seem to be anything to prevent the signing of free agents that has been added since last year. But I think the issue of signing Ben Arfa is nonsense, its just arisen from some fan who is wishing that we might sign him. He's only linked because he was linked when Puel was here, seems more likely to me that he would go to Leicester if he wants to get back into the PL. He's also not our sort of signing anyway. There is also the matter of having space for him in the squad. We already have 30 over 21 players, so need to not register at least 5 of them (or get them loaned or sold to a non-PL team) just to get to the limit of 25.

Think that article is wrong, would be a big change if true.

Fair enough, wouldn't be the first time i was led astray by something I've read, apparently there are also ladies wanting to have sex with me in my area...

In which case, I'd rather have this chap https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/balazs-dzsudzsak/profil/spieler/35004 than Ben Arfa. Was a decent player not so long ago and had a good Euros a couple of years back.