Saints U23s v Zagreb U23s - live stream

trousers

I watch a fair few of these games and never get the feeling any of the players are banging on the door to be picked for the 1st team.

Same. Both full backs have something about them though, particularly Valery who is a prospect.

Valery about the only one who looks remotely like making it out of that bunch.

Disappointed with Sims.

Christoph Klarer was our most dominant defender and as he was the youngest player in the team, he looks a very good prospect and I think he's going to make it all the way to the first team. Valery is a decent player but he's a bit error-prone defensively.

Prime example of a player who did enough to get involved in the first team, then got overlooked in favour of really poorly performing players and now looks lost.

Must be fairly demoralising knowing there's little pathway to the first team now. People will also choose the simplistic if you're good enough you play bull****, but it's down to managers having the balls to play them, coach them and develop them. Timing is really important. Sims and Gallagher should have been played a lot more, Long, Davis, Redmond a lot less. But there we go.

Is amazing really. Youngsters find it harder than ever to come through, clubs spend bigger fortunes than ever, yet half the premier league is absolute dross and terrified to play football.

Why do you say Valery looks lost? He's a kid with promise who's learning his trade. He's not ready for premier league football. To say he's been overlooked is ridiculous.

The pathway for the youngsters isn't blocked. None of them are good enough. You keep on about Gallagher and Sims but if you saw the u23 last night and compare it to Ings and Redmond on Sunday you'd understand why Gallagher and Sims aren't playing.

Why do you say Valery looks lost? He's a kid with promise who's learning his trade. He's not ready for premier league football. To say he's been overlooked is ridiculous.

The pathway for the youngsters isn't blocked. None of them are good enough. You keep on about Gallagher and Sims but if you saw the u23 last night and compare it to Ings and Redmond on Sunday you'd understand why Gallagher and Sims aren't playing.

I think he was talking about Sims.

I think he was talking about Sims.

Spose he could be, but the point applies to him. He looked very average last night. You set the world alight in the u23's you probably get a chance. You look average and you won't. He looked average.

Of course the pathway is blocked. So much deadwood in the squad and the managerial turnover meaning there is little incentive to take a risk on a young player.

Who's good enough, and who are they better than?

It’s difficult to tell until they get a few games, some players just take to it? Therein lies the problem, every point vital so managers can’t afford the risk of trying them out.

(* Poch an exception, he has the cajones to blood young players)

Well Redmond was atrocious last season. Sims most definitely should have played more then. When he did he looked ok.

Gallagher most certainly deserves an opportunity ahead of 2 goals in 2 years long. Gabbi wasn’t great last season either and Austin was injury prone. It was embarrassing that the club loaned him out and spent 20m panic buying in Jan.

if there are injuries/suspensions/poor form i’d Much prefer a chance going to an academy player to try and prove himself rather than such a bloated squad that even making the bench seems a Herculean achievement.

Well Redmond was atrocious last season. Sims most definitely should have played more then. When he did he looked ok.

Gallagher most certainly deserves an opportunity ahead of 2 goals in 2 years long. Gabbi wasn’t great last season either and Austin was injury prone. It was embarrassing that the club loaned him out and spent 20m panic buying in Jan.

if there are injuries/suspensions/poor form i’d Much prefer a chance going to an academy player to try and prove himself rather than such a bloated squad that even making the bench seems a Herculean achievement.

Redmond was shocking last season. It's now this season. Redmond was excellent second half on Sunday. I've seen nothing in Sims in either 1st team football, or the times I've seen him in the u23's, to suggest he's at the level Redmond was against Burnley and/or that he'll improve our starting 11. Sure he's capable but let's not kid ourselves.

Tell me when Sims has shown the ability to do better than Redmond last week, or otherwise has shown he'll improve our team.

"Gallagher deserves a chance" has been done to death but not one person has pointed to anything other than a few goals at Blackburn a couple of years ago in the championship as a reason to support it. All this "Gabbi was rubbish" doesn't actually make Gallagher suddenly good enough or better. I mean Puel was a crap manager for us so anyone else must have been better right? Oh yeah....

I'm guessing that most of the people saying give the kids a chance have never watched a reserve or u23 game. I've watched many. The kids that have a future stand out at that level. Lallana was leagues above his peers. Le Tiss and Shearer before him. They make the game look easy and the premier league standard has increased massively since.

The coaches and managers see these kids in the u23 games. They see how they do on loan. They'd play the youngsters if they were good enough. After all the kids aren't coached, nurtured, and paid to be released to go ply their trade at Yeovil but the reality is that is the best most of them can expect.

There's too much ****** and sentiment on here.