Other Prem Teams - General Chit Chat

Batman

I see spurs ground is not going to be ready by the time stated.

Just heard on the radio that it should come with a 4 point deduction according to Premier League law...

any ideas if true? would be hilarious if so

Place your bets on the PL waiving the deduction.

After all, this is Spurs, not Saints or another "small" club.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Place your bets on the PL waiving the deduction.

After all, this is Spurs, not Saints or another "small" club.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well they waived any deduction when Pompey were in the PL, they have never been ready for the PL

I know none of this is revelatory, but I spoke to someone in the construction sector involved in the Spurs' stadium and it was never ever ever going to be ready for the start of the season or even the September games. They obviously didn't advertise this at the time because that would cause concern and would impact on season ticket sales.

Basically Spurs panicked around the start of the year realising they were miles behind schedule and started hiring extra contractors to help out. This caused costs to spiral and has obviously had an impact on their ability to act in the transfer market.

The club and the league agreed they would start their 'home' games after the October international break, subject to safety sign off September/October time. Even then, the stadium will be unfinished and there will be exposed concrete etc. If they fail that test then they're looking at a 2019 start date

Bit of a nightmare really

I see spurs ground is not going to be ready by the time stated.

Just heard on the radio that it should come with a 4 point deduction according to Premier League law...

any ideas if true? would be hilarious if so

There is a PL Rule (K.6), but PL rules do not specify the exact sanction.

A friend of mine is a Spurs season ticket holder, he went on a Tour of their new stadium yesterday said it was all pretty impressive, so obviously something is working in there.

Took loads of photos but was told not to post them on social media which he has respected. Plus being a successful local businessman he isn't going to give himself negative press by being exposed as doing so.

Because compared to doctors, nurses, firemen who actually do a worthwhile job just for doing something we would all love to do and get paid millions for is madness.

Its not aimed just at Zaha btw

Wages have never ever ever been about who works the hardest doing a ‘worthwhile’ job.

then it has been nuts for about 30 years.....

Nope not really just last 5 years gone mad was reading how much MLT earnt and nowhere near today.

Ok lot more money in game today and rewards higher but do you think a wage cap would be better for everyone except agents?

I am not disputing that Zaha hasn't earnt his new contract just maybe trying to comment on the overall subject of footballers wages.

Nope not really just last 5 years gone mad was reading how much MLT earnt and nowhere near today.

Ok lot more money in game today and rewards higher but do you think a wage cap would be better for everyone except agents?

I am not disputing that Zaha hasn't earnt his new contract just maybe trying to comment on the overall subject of footballers wages.

why no wage cap when we were paying Beattie £20k a week 15 years ago?

that was relatively mental then compared to nurses and policemen

A friend of mine is a Spurs season ticket holder, he went on a Tour of their new stadium yesterday said it was all pretty impressive, so obviously something is working in there.

Took loads of photos but was told not to post them on social media which he has respected. Plus being a successful local businessman he isn't going to give himself negative press by being exposed as doing so.

On the basis that you can get live streams of the work being carried out both inside and outside of the stadium, I think he is safe to stick a few pics on social media!

Months away from being completed; the City game now clashes with the NFL and they might have to play at Twickenham. Utter joke.

Haven’t Spurs only got cover for this year to play home games at Wembley? They have now triggered the clause in the contract with Wembley.

Strange not to have it for the whole season if there are regs to say only one stadium can be used for home games and if there were major concerns that WHL would not be ready in time.

Zaha new contract reputed to be 130k a week ...wow football really is nuts. Good player but wages have gone mad.

It will help to keep the price high for the eventual inevitable sale...

PARISH REACTION

Here's what Crystal Palace chairman Steve Parish has had to say...

“Wilf grew up a stone’s throw from Selhurst Park from the age of four, and has been with the club since he was 12. This agreement is yet another example of his lifelong commitment to the club, and our commitment to him. This is an amazing day for everyone here at Palace, our supporters and of course Wilf – and is richly deserved."

Seems that he has forgotten his ill fated Man utd signing..... :rolleyes:

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Because compared to doctors, nurses, firemen who actually do a worthwhile job just for doing something we would all love to do and get paid millions for is madness.

A few years ago a load of wage slips for Liverpool players found their way into the public domain, loads of folks were getting heated in the media about the monthly salary John Arne-Riise was getting (somewhere around £130k pm), there were many discussions, most in disgust at such an obscene pay packet. The Nurses comparison was used endlessly, then someone piped up and said don't look at his gross pay look at his net pay, then look at the amount of tax and NI he is paying then over the course of the year and how many Nurses could be employed by his deductions alone.

But back in the totally removed from reality world of Football, Zaha's £130k per week looks an absolute bargain for what he gives to Palace when compared to the £500k (nett) a week Sanchez is getting at United.

A few years ago a load of wage slips for Liverpool players found their way into the public domain, loads of folks were getting heated in the media about the monthly salary John Arne-Riise was getting (somewhere around £130k pm), there were many discussions, most in disgust at such an obscene pay packet. The Nurses comparison was used endlessly, then someone piped up and said don't look at his gross pay look at his net pay, then look at the amount of tax and NI he is paying then over the course of the year and how many Nurses could be employed by his deductions alone.

But back in the totally removed from reality world of Football, Zaha's £130k per week looks an absolute bargain for what he gives to Palace when compared to the £500k (nett) a week Sanchez is getting at United.

It's a good counter-point - I see what Ron is saying, and I morally agree. However, the tax take from PL is huge, it must be one of the top ten generators for the treasury, and doesn't require a lot of public expenditure in but helps spending back out the other side of health and education.

That's not to say I like the modern game from that perspective, but it is a fair observation.

I think I am right in saying they didnt get a single point when Zaha wasnt playing and injured.....again my post was more about the amount ...as for Sanchez that 500k is madness...miserable git too just like Mourinho this year.

A few years ago a load of wage slips for Liverpool players found their way into the public domain, loads of folks were getting heated in the media about the monthly salary John Arne-Riise was getting (somewhere around £130k pm), there were many discussions, most in disgust at such an obscene pay packet..

He deserved that month though for that own goal at SMS just brilliant back header :-)

This wages nonsense is unsustainable. The bubble will burst. I just wish it'd happen sooner rather than later so that we can focus on football rather than product placement, sponsorship deals, Cars, WAGS and Tattoos.

been said every year for the last 20 years

Amazon, facebook etc are only just getting interested

They may well sell truffles in their fromaggerie in the concourse.

Ooo how civilised........Just think a nice bit of Eppoises bought there before the match should be just about spot on after being in my pocket and transported across London to Waterloo. By the time I get off my curiously empty train carriage at Basingstoke Station it should be bloody glorious. :D

I hate that argument. If you can get people from around the world to pay millions to watch doctors and nurses then they can have the same salary. Being a premier league footballer is just as skilled if not moreso and there is so much money in the game because of its universal appeal.

The one thing I don't buy, is that players have to have big wages because their career is short. It might well be short, but it doesn't preclude them from getting another job after they hang their boots up. Someone like Armstrong has a law degree - that's someone players should look up to.

I hate that argument. If you can get people from around the world to pay millions to watch doctors and nurses then they can have the same salary. Being a premier league footballer is just as skilled if not moreso and there is so much money in the game because of its universal appeal.

LOL Behave. Would you want Shane Long or Luke Shaw trying to work out what life saving medical help you need? Or Sadio Mane and Jordon Henderson trying to cut you safely out of crashed car while not giving you spine trauma....

If you cannot provide a ground to host your match, then you should play your home match at your opponents ground. eg last season, we should have played West Ham at SMS twice, not changed it to suit them and their arrangements.
Agree with this. Playing games away initially while waiting for work to be completed could actually give that team an unfair advantage at the business end of the season, and be detrimental to other teams at the same time. They've had Wembley, now they are looking for further leeway, **** poor planning.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk