Other Prem Teams - General Chit Chat

Batman

LOL Behave. Would you want Shane Long or Luke Shaw trying to work out what life saving medical help you need? Or Sadio Mane and Jordon Henderson trying to cut you safely out of crashed car while not giving you spine trauma....

Matty Targett with the epidural.

I hate that argument. If you can get people from around the world to pay millions to watch doctors and nurses then they can have the same salary. Being a premier league footballer is just as skilled if not moreso and there is so much money in the game because of its universal appeal.

Exactly this - as with all jobs, it’s supply and demand. Premier league players? 800chosen from around the world?

Doctors, nurses, police, firemen, medics etc? Hundreds of thousands in the UK alone.

Lots of people could be trained to be our well respected emergency response professionals.

Virtually no one makes it as a premier league player. It’s all about individual skills, excellence, fitness, coordination. Most people couldn’t even get close.

Top tennis players, golfers, F1 drivers, film stars, all earn amazing wages because they are top of the tree. The best, in their field. We should say well done, you’ve made it, good luck to you.

But people cant, jealousy shines through and it becomes “ too much, unfair, doctors, nurses etc”

Because deep down, we all know people who are police, doctors, nurses etc. They do a fab job, but it’s not beyond lots of people.

Top level football player, entertainment industry, loads of cash due to its popularity? Name your price. Market forces, supply and demand. That’s life.

Exactly this - as with all jobs, it’s supply and demand. Premier league players? 800chosen from around the world?

Doctors, nurses, police, firemen, medics etc? Hundreds of thousands in the UK alone.

Lots of people could be trained to be our well respected emergency response professionals.

Virtually no one makes it as a premier league player. It’s all about individual skills, excellence, fitness, coordination. Most people couldn’t even get close.

Top tennis players, golfers, F1 drivers, film stars, all earn amazing wages because they are top of the tree. The best, in their field. We should say well done, you’ve made it, good luck to you.

But people cant, jealousy shines through and it becomes “ too much, unfair, doctors, nurses etc”

Because deep down, we all know people who are police, doctors, nurses etc. They do a fab job, but it’s not beyond lots of people.

Top level football player, entertainment industry, loads of cash due to its popularity? Name your price. Market forces, supply and demand. That’s life.

Daleks above all humans.

I hate that argument. If you can get people from around the world to pay millions to watch doctors and nurses then they can have the same salary. Being a premier league footballer is just as skilled if not moreso and there is so much money in the game because of its universal appeal.

Skilled in a different way, with a completely unjustifiable salary and a completely unfulfilling prophecy. "I saved x, y, z lives" versus "yeah, er, ugh, yeah, I scored some goals that yeah, ugh, won a cup, ugh"

Well they waived any deduction when Pompey were in the PL, they have never been ready for the PL

Don't forget pompey are still the only club to have a points deduction applied when going into administration after a date in March in the current season, rather than having it carried over like we did.......

Skilled in a different way, with a completely unjustifiable salary and a completely unfulfilling prophecy. "I saved x, y, z lives" versus "yeah, er, ugh, yeah, I scored some goals that yeah, ugh, won a cup, ugh"
The salary is not unjustified for the reasons I already stated. Like it or not the huge amount of money is in the game and thus the massive wages can be afforded by clubs. Now would I personally prefer that players are paid less? Of course I would but does that mean that clubs are not perfectly entitled to pay those huge amounts? Absolutely.

Because compared to doctors, nurses, firemen who actually do a worthwhile job just for doing something we would all love to do and get paid millions for is madness.

Its not aimed just at Zaha btw

What job do you do? I hope you don't get paid more than the lowest paid Nurse? If you do get paid more, unless you are saving lives in your own job, you should give the extra to charity. This will ensure your moral code is upheld.

I understand your point of view regarding the economics of football totally. But lets not pretend for one second that being genetically predisposed as an incredible athlete is a skill. Technical ability is one thing of course. But most footballers at top level are fit athletes with a decent touch, playing in a system that they have had drilled into them.

E.g. you can teach a GK or a CB to be a surgeon, they won't be as good of course.... but you can't teach a brain surgeon to be 6ft 4in, agile and strong - they either genetically have it or don't. There are players like Messi which if anything prove the point. He is not physically exceptional, but is regarded as a special player because of his ability, nothing else. There are not many players at top level that are there for skill alone.

Edited by Saint86

I understand your point of view regarding the economics of football totally. But lets not pretend for one second that being genetically predisposed as an incredible athlete is a skill. Technical ability is one thing of course. But most footballers at top level are fit athletes with a decent touch, playing in a system that they have had drilled into them.

You can teach a GK or a CB to be a surgeon - but you can't teach a brain surgeon to be 6ft 4in, agile and strong - they either genetically have it or don't.

you could teach a surgeon to be a winger though, right?

What job do you do? I hope you don't get paid more than the lowest paid Nurse? If you do get paid more, unless you are saving lives in your own job, you should give the extra to charity. This will ensure your moral code is upheld.

Why? do you ? Yes I do give a lot to charity thanks and thats a fcking stupid statement because I think a footballer earns too much money I should donate money to charity christ that is such a stupid post...well done you sanctimonious pr1ck.

Edited by Give it to Ron

Why? do you ? Yes I do give a lot to charity thanks and thats a fcking stupid statement because I think a footballer earns too much money I should donate money to charity christ that is such a stupid post...well done you sanctimonious pr1ck.

Lol..I earn lots more than a nurse but no I don't donate it to charity. However I am not the one posting that doctors and nurses should be paid more than footballers.

The doctors/footballers argument is about the lamest argument in the world..makes me laugh that those who make that argument think that it's ok for them to earn more than a nurse but not for Zaha, or a film star, or a cricketer, or a politician etc to earn more....

The issue I have with the amount of money being paid to footballers is that it is the quality/level has not significantly improved (in some cases it is exactly the same players) in what, 10 years? Ok, so at the moment Manchester City play some scintillating stuff, but were 10th placed Newcastle from 2018 any better than 10th place West Ham in 2008? Also the amounts in question are extreme. Zaha isn't earning more in a month than most people earn in a year, he is earning more in a WEEK!

You hear a lot about what the increase in revenue into the PL (and football in general) will do, but ultimately teams just splurge it all on higher transfer fees and more importantly, higher player wages. I'm not sure there is ANY extra money going into anything which genuinely improves the game. No significant investment in grassroots, no reduction in ticket prices, no improvement in infrastructure at or near the stadium... instead it's just more money in the pockets of players and their agents, who have done nothing to earn such an increase other than being in the right industry at the right time.

Lol..I earn lots more than a nurse but no I don't donate it to charity. However I am not the one posting that doctors and nurses should be paid more than footballers.

The doctors/footballers argument is about the lamest argument in the world..makes me laugh that those who make that argument think that it's ok for them to earn more than a nurse but not for Zaha, or a film star, or a cricketer, or a politician etc to earn more....

The point was and is despite you and Hypo missing the fact that wages are too high for what they do - disregarding houses, cars, kit etc provided free as well - we now have players earning vast amounts of money - where does it stop? clubs are in danger of imploding look at Villa big club on the verge in summer because their wage bill was unsustainable.

Where do I say its ok for me to earn more than a nurse? Who mentioned actors? cricketers?

You do it seems....Naomi House and Jacks Place could do with your support as you earn far more than a nurse...you dont want to be a hypocrite do you?

The point was and is despite you and Hypo missing the fact that wages are too high for what they do - disregarding houses, cars, kit etc provided free as well - we now have players earning vast amounts of money - where does it stop? clubs are in danger of imploding look at Villa big club on the verge in summer because their wage bill was unsustainable.

Where do I say its ok for me to earn more than a nurse? Who mentioned actors? cricketers?

You do it seems....Naomi House and Jacks Place could do with your support as you earn far more than a nurse...you dont want to be a hypocrite do you?

What clubs are in danger?

Villa's issue was about FFP, less so about going pop

Go do some research...I have already shown you to be wrong....

you showed me Villa. Granted.

So, what other clubs are in danger of going pop? I have looked but cant find much really.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

You need to look up what a hypocrite is..I think you are struggling with that...

If what you say is true.....and your posts were all about how much footballers earn and how those poor clubs might go bankrupt then why...oh why...did you even bring up doctors and nurses then?

I couldn't care if palace go bust... And I don't care if villa go bust. Even if they do another club will just replace them and someone else wil pay Zaha 100k a week.

Football is absolutely awash with money. Clubs don't need fans to make money anymore. If you don't understand why Zaha can earn that sort of money then you are struggling with economics generally.

XXX

you showed me Villa. Granted.

So, what other clubs are in danger of going pop? I have looked but cant find much really.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Birmingham are another one....hangover from Saggy Chops

The #BCFC wage bill surged 47% (£7.2m) from £15.3m to £22.5m in 2016/17 with playing staff up 30 to 94. Also included severance payments to managers and possible bonus payment to Redknapp for avoiding relegation. This has increased the wages to turnover ratio from 104% to 128%.

Have a look at Swiss Ramble....

QPR are dead if Fernandes stops bailing them out look at their wage bill to turnover....Bournemouth they couldnt renew contract of a coach due to finances yet pay Defoe 130kish

What do you think bankrupted the Skates?

Leeds were another with massive wage bill and bailed out by Radrozani - although they have trimmed that right down now.

Edited by Give it to Ron

I always find it odd that when "underpaid and vital" jobs are listed, it always tends to be nurses and firemen, never sewage workers. But surely, having decent sanitation and a clean water supply is pretty damned vital?

As others have said, salaries don't hinge merely on how "important" we consider a job to be, but crucially on how many people are able to carry out the task. If there are many millions of people who can, in theory, become nurses, this will mean nursing salaries aren't particularly high. Brain surgeons and top-flight footballers will be paid more - very few people are able to carry out the tasks needed for the job.

If we started paying nurses £1mpa, we would - unsurprisingly - get way, way more applications to be a nurse than we need.

The current system (basically letting the market sets wages) means people are incentivised to go and take jobs which are appropriate to their skills and where their unique skills are most highly valued by others.

Birmingham are another one....hangover from Saggy Chops

The #BCFC wage bill surged 47% (£7.2m) from £15.3m to £22.5m in 2016/17 with playing staff up 30 to 94. Also included severance payments to managers and possible bonus payment to Redknapp for avoiding relegation. This has increased the wages to turnover ratio from 104% to 128%.

Have a look at Swiss Ramble....

QPR are dead if Fernandes stops bailing them out look at their wage bill to turnover....Bournemouth they couldnt renew contract of a coach due to finances yet pay Defoe 130kish

What do you think bankrupted the Skates?

Leeds were another with massive wage bill and bailed out by Radrozani - although they have trimmed that right down now.

but none (as far as I have read) are in danger of going pop. Which was the point you were making

Pompey were as close as it came. How long ago now was that?

Then go back to wimbledon for it actually happening (I think)

but none (as far as I have read) are in danger of going pop. Which was the point you were making

Pompey were as close as it came. How long ago now was that?

Then go back to wimbledon for it actually happening (I think)

No what I actually said was "clubs are in danger of imploding look at Villa big club on the verge in summer because their wage bill was unsustainable."

They were on the verge couldnt pay their tax bill of £2m for a while due to wages.

A lot of clubs are bailed out by owners now as mentioned look at QPR.

Sunderland...https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/league-one-finances-and-why-cutting-sunderland-s-wage-bill-will-be-a-top-priority-for-stewart-donald-1-9162094

Last club I think were Rushden but that may have been non-league.

No what I actually said was "clubs are in danger of imploding look at Villa big club on the verge in summer because their wage bill was unsustainable."

They were on the verge couldnt pay their tax bill of £2m for a while due to wages.

A lot of clubs are bailed out by owners now as mentioned look at QPR.

Sunderland...https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/league-one-finances-and-why-cutting-sunderland-s-wage-bill-will-be-a-top-priority-for-stewart-donald-1-9162094

Last club I think were Rushden but that may have been non-league.

But that will happen regardless.

I would do my entire weekly shop at Marks and Spencer. All of it, even the washing up liquid and that. Every week.

I thought it was just me and the missus that fantasised about being so rich you food shopped at M & S

Bobby Madley quits as PL ref - some say he’s been hounded out.

He may have made some very questionable decisions against us in games, (his glorious assist at Burnley last season almost affords him cult status from Saints fans), you would hope that it is personal circumstances and not being hounded out. Need a few more of these youngsters on the whistle as they are more likely to keep up with the game.

West Ham Directors must have a sound proof room they step into, just to laugh their heads off at what a bonkers deal they have

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45208151

Tell me I have read that right; West Ham are willing to pay for the pitch surround, but someone else has ruled that the London Legacy lot who lease the stadium to WHU for £2.5m per year will have to pay for it!!!!!!

West Ham Directors must have a sound proof room they step into, just to laugh their heads off at what a bonkers deal they have

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45208151

Tell me I have read that right; West Ham are willing to pay for the pitch surround, but someone else has ruled that the London Legacy lot who lease the stadium to WHU for £2.5m per year will have to pay for it!!!!!!

Yep, quite unbelievable really. All those additional costs that the LLDC are covering probably work out to about the same as the rent they're getting :rolleyes::x

I don't care who starts it, but I am going to be thoroughly disappointed if we don't hear the following chant at the next home game aimed at Sammy Saint

"He's coming for you, he's coming for yooooouuu, Bobby Madely, he's coming for you!"

Twitter is wonderful at times.

Real Sociedad are interested in signing Everton's Spanish striker Sandro Ramirez. The 23-year-old moved to Goodison Park last summer but was sent out on loan to Sevilla.

It seems Everton's black box is more than capable of misfiring. It also seems to make them pay £10m more than the real value of any player they look to purchase. Williams, Keane, Tosun, Sigurdsson, Bolassie etcetera,etcetera, etcetera.