Hughes Excuse Tracker

Dusic

Not a slight on Hughes whatsoever, but thought it might be interesting to track his reasoning when we don't play particularly well, to see if any themes emerge across the season which might indicate where any problems are within the side.

So far:

July 21st - Derby County (0-3)

Reason: Derby further ahead than us in pre season/ tough schedule for Chins trip

4th Aug - Borussia Monchengladbach

Reason: Hot conditions/three games in a week

12th Aug - Burnley (0-0)

Reason: Burnley sharper due to EL matches played

Not sure if I can edit so feel free to update as/when needed

He’s not offering an opinion.... he’s merely cataloguing, then seeing if there is any correlation.

So what was wrong with those then? In a day where there is social media, tv, radio, OS , Sky clamouring for any soundbite of info

Hughes offered his reasons why the game didnt go so well....again I can't see whats wrong with his reasons look pretty reasonable to me.

So what was wrong with those then? In a day where there is social media, tv, radio, OS , Sky clamouring for any soundbite of info

Hughes offered his reasons why the game didnt go so well....again I can't see whats wrong with his reasons look pretty reasonable to me.

Don’t you think it’s interesting that all those reasons have nowt to do with the way we played pal?

No one has said anything is wrong with them!!! Jesus.

Some managers keep it positive for social media, but tell the team exactly what they think. I think Hughes is this type of coach. Its probably a better way to go than just bashing players publicly.

That’s the way Fergie did it and Hughsie spent a lot of time with him.

Has he ever said :-

"We were outclassed by a better team"

"We cocked up big time in preparation"

"I have no idea"

"We were bloody poor throughout the team"

Sounds the sort of thing Mourino would say about his owm players, don't want ouir manager to go down that line

Surely we want gems like Brian Clough is said to have come out with after Forest in their pomp got soundly beaten, might have even been by us!!!?

Apparently he stood by the dressing room door as the household name players traipsed forlornly in to the dressing room and said "sorry" to each of them. Then stood in the centre of the dressing room and said "I am so sorry lads, this afternoons result was totally my fault and I take full responsibilty..............because obviously I named the wrong team to play"

Wow this thread is a s**t show already. Our fans bicker more than wet spam fans I swear.

Keeping this thread on topic. I will be interesting to observe any correlation or semblance of. Although its clear sparky is not afraid of changing formation and tactics which pellegrino was to stubborn/stupid to do. I think we will hear more honesty from Hughes post game than pellegrino and hope Hughes gives the players a right good b*locking outside public view instead of criticising them in the public eye. The media would have a field day. Can we just support the f*cking team guys we've played one bloody game and already this place is a dump.

No, it’s the inference.

The very first line says not a slight on Hughes so there’s no implication of blame that’s all being done by the reader of the thread.

Exactly. Most people don't actuslly read it but just react to the thread title.

Personally I think all the excuses sonfsr have been good, mostly valid ones (aside from maybe BM game).

Over the season will be good to see what comes up, i.e many managers say "we started slowly", "not enough intensity" etc but rarely say the team was outplayed or I got the subs wrong.

Purely observational.

I find it interesting that when Saints were in the Europa league it was a curse. A guarantee of a poor season based on playing Thursday nights every week. Every team that’s been in the Europa league has struggled...

For Burnley, it was a blessing, an advantage, having played extra games. So what’s it to be?

Exactly. Most people don't actuslly read it but just react to the thread title.

Personally I think all the excuses sonfsr have been good, mostly valid ones (aside from maybe BM game).

Over the season will be good to see what comes up, i.e many managers say "we started slowly", "not enough intensity" etc but rarely say the team was outplayed or I got the subs wrong.

Purely observational.

Exactly.

I find it interesting that when Saints were in the Europa league it was a curse. A guarantee of a poor season based on playing Thursday nights every week. Every team that’s been in the Europa league has struggled...

For Burnley, it was a blessing, an advantage, having played extra games. So what’s it to be?

An advantage at the very start of the season, when you have a better competitive edge, and thereafter a disadvantage due to reduced recovery time, I should think.

He gets a bit more grace for me - turning around 2 years of turgid rubbish will not happen overnight. That said I’m concerned that we are lowering possession and passing stats without increasing goals or chances. The world has moved on from possession at all costs football, but is this team more exciting and attacking ? After £50m net investment I think we are entitled to judge those metrics come Dec.

No, it’s the inference.

The very first line says "not a slight on Hughes.. but" so there’s no implication of blame that’s all being done by the reader of the thread.

I've corrected the quote: the use of the word "but" is a typically English way of saying something but meaning the opposite. Like starting your comments with "With respect...", which translates to "With no respect..."

They have their work cut out with young Master Redmond then! :p
I have played football and sport with many players whose will to win makes them demonstrative, didn't matter to the rest of the teams as they knew that it was the burning desire. Itss like water off a ducks back, in fact it did drive some of the lazy don't really care players on

Updated list:

Reason: Derby further ahead than us in pre season/ tough schedule for Chins trip

4th Aug - Borussia Monchengladbach (0-3)

12th Aug - Burnley (0-0)

18th Aug- Everton (1-2)

Reason: Referee allowed them too many free kicks and we didn't defend set pieces well enough. Hard to get back into the game as they went down easily in the second half whenever there was contact. Low quality game overall.

Updated list:

4th Aug - Borussia Monchengladbach (0-3)

12th Aug - Burnley (0-0)

18th Aug- Everton (1-2)

Reason: Referee allowed them too many free kicks and we didn't defend set pieces well enough. Hard to get back into the game as they went down easily in the second half whenever there was contact. Low quality game overall.

Sad tw_———at

How did the referee allow them too many free kicks? It isn't his fault our players were so keen to give away stupid fouls.

about 40% of them were not fouls imo. Everton had a clear strategy to win on set pieces, and everytime they got near the final third they would go to ground. Richarlison, clearly has some talent, but spent a lot of time rolling on the floor, clearly he cannot handle pain very well. Everytime he goes down, their forum shat themselves because he looked like he might be dying, only for him to be up and running 30 seconds later!