Alexandre Jankewitz

del boy

Never know if deals like this ever happen.

All went quiet on the 'Real Madrid' wonder-kid we were set to sign. (Although, in fairness I'm sure the report said it would happen in September).

Shame some of our young players like Sims, Hesketh, McQueen, Gallagher, Taggart, and many more waiting in the wings are not going to get a chance.

This is not a dig at Hughes, I think it’s a lack of quality around these young players that could help them make the step up.

Liverpool and Spurs are bedding many young kids in the game and we’ve suddenly stopped doing it.

The one thing I’ve missed being a Saints supporter is watching your very own making the grade.

Shame some of our young players like Sims, Hesketh, McQueen, Gallagher, Taggart, and many more waiting in the wings are not going to get a chance.

This is not a dig at Hughes, I think it’s a lack of quality around these young players that could help them make the step up.

Liverpool and Spurs are bedding many young kids in the game and we’ve suddenly stopped doing it.

The one thing I’ve missed being a Saints supporter is watching your very own making the grade.

Good point.

I'm pretty sure the club would love to have academy players flooding into the first team again.

The academy no doubt scrutinises every aspect of a players development - but maybe we have to face facts that they simply are not good enough.

If Hughes thought Sims would make more impact than whoever was currently playing, then he'd be in. If Gallagher was likely to score more goals than our current forwards, he would be in the team by now. Players like Shaw and Lallana were good enough to be selected in preference to whoever was in the 1st team before them. This lot...aren't.

It's a hard life for these lads. Once you get to 23/24 at a club like Saints and haven't progressed from the development squad then you might as well up sticks and leave - at least on loan. Otherwise you are condemned to this half-life of occasional bench time, and the odd U23 game in front of 20 people and 300 internet fans.

HITC in that article do not claim to be the original source and in the first sentence of the article they even link to where they got the story from.

Perhaps the original source (Tuttomercato) will at some point revise their original article by replacing Southampton with Wolverhampton...

Sure. We might have, we might not have. Who knows how hard we tried? Who knows what Wolves offered? I'm afraid that "losing out" to competitors for academy players doesn't really get me too bothered. I find it almost like the club signing the player (us included) likes to crow about how wonderful they are as some sort of PR exercise, regardless of what the actual facts are. If and when he makes the Wolves first team in 2 or 3 or more years time we can all go on about "what if".

Sounds very promising...though how do we buy him outside of the window?

I'd imagine a deal can be struck any time. It just can't be formalised until the window is open. I'm sure contracts and fees etc can be signed and agreed at any time with a view to a move on Jan 1st or whenever.

• 2 weeks later...
The club clearly think it's a big deal as they've run about 6 articles on it today.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-29/video-matt-hale-alex-jankewitz-signing-saints

Good interview with academy manager Matt Hale about the move.

Ross Wilson has his say: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-08-30/video-ross-wilson-alexandre-jankewitz-academy-signing

• Lighthouse changed the title to Alexandre Jankewitz