Ebenezer Cobb Morley 187 today......... well ok would have been!

John Boy Saint

Whilst we are twiddling our thumbs waiting for the next game, looking out at the pouring rain.

I was searching something on t'internet just now and on Google Chrome you often get a cartoon (Google Doodle) depicting a notable event, or person, from this day in history, above the search box. Today's "Doodle" was football themed "whats that all about?", so clicked it:

Ebenezer Cobb Morley 187th Birthday....................... Who? Clicked again and learned something new.

"What has this got to do with Saints" I hear being muttered, well nowt directly as he didn't play on the wing for us in the late 1800's, more football in general.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/ebenezer-cobb-morley-football-rules-laws-game-barnes-google-doodle-a8492781.html

His original draft of 23 rules included a provision allowing players to “hack the front of the leg”, a controversial line that one FW Campbell of Blackheath felt was essential to promote “masculine toughness”. Another adherent suggested that without hacking tackles, “you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and it will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week’s practice”.

I wonder what he would have made of the modern game, and that Neymar fellow.

Interesting fact that has next to nothing to do with saints :lol:

"you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and it will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week’s practice"

Without doubt, I give you an 1800's Brexit voter - Superb foresight as well ;)

Interesting fact that has next to nothing to do with saints :lol:

"you will do away with the courage and pluck of the game, and it will be bound to bring over a lot of Frenchmen who would beat you with a week’s practice"

Without doubt, I give you an 1800's Brexit voter - Superb foresight as well ;)

He would probably approved of our Ale House team. There that's Saints related.

Which Saints players of the past would fit into an Ebenezer Cobb Morley Team?

He would probably approved of our Ale House team. There that's Saints related.

Which Saints players of the past would fit into an Ebenezer Cobb Morley Team?

A couple of my favourite ever Saints players surely would: Mark Dennis and Jimmy Case; Franny and Terry Hurlock would fit in too.