#LaLiga and RELEVENT partner to promote soccer in the US and Canada.

Saint IQ

So La Liga are playing a 39th league game which will be played in North America for the next 15 years.

https://www.laliga.es/en/news/laliga-and-relevent-partner-to-promote-soccer-in-the-us-and-canada

Will the EPL follow suit?

I think it’s going to happen, nicely coincides with the facts that were released this week. The premier league does not need match day fans to make profit. :(

Personally I'd rather the top 6 p1ss off with the rest of Europe's plastic mega clubs then it'll make all the other leagues more interesting and competitive.

To be honest I'm long past caring. I'm sure the PL will follow suit eventually, though they may be annoyed they aren't part of the "groundbreaking" first deal. Maybe the PL will sign a deal to play an extra game in China, would hardly be the biggest surprise in the world.

Absolutely inevitable that the premier league will follow suit, and makes the likelihood of a European (or world) super league even higher too.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i honestly think you might see the big clubs "brands" leaving their countries completely. What difference does it make to the owners of Liverpool if they play in Liverpool or Sydney? Or for Manchester United if they play in Manchester or New York?

I can full well imagine a world where they all globe trot ground to ground in a league with no promotion or relegation and a season played out across the world for tv revenue.

Absolutely inevitable that the premier league will follow suit, and makes the likelihood of a European (or world) super league even higher too.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, i honestly think you might see the big clubs "brands" leaving their countries completely. What difference does it make to the owners of Liverpool if they play in Liverpool or Sydney? Or for Manchester United if they play in Manchester or New York?

I can full well imagine a world where they all globe trot ground to ground in a league with no promotion or relegation and a season played out across the world for tv revenue.

Fingers crossed it happens soon, would be the best thing to ever happen.

And would leave the rest of us to it.

The big issue with the 39th game has always been how do you not make things unequal? Every team playing every other team home and away is totally balanced but happens if you add an extra game? If two teams are battling relegation and one has to play a team of a similar level while the other is playing Man City then that is a huge advantage.

Is it a 39th game? (i.e. a round of matches) or just a single game from an existing round. I read it as the latter as both that article above and the BBC article refer to 'match' not 'matches'. In that case it will be more like the NFL games played in London where a team has to give up a home game. You can see it now, there's no way Barcelona, Real Madrid or Athletico Madrid will be asked to give up a home game. It will be one of the smaller teams who will give up little gate income for a large wedge of TV cash. Sad.

Is it a 39th game? (i.e. a round of matches) or just a single game from an existing round. I read it as the latter as both that article above and the BBC article refer to 'match' not 'matches'. In that case it will be more like the NFL games played in London where a team has to give up a home game. You can see it now, there's no way Barcelona, Real Madrid or Athletico Madrid will be asked to give up a home game. It will be one of the smaller teams who will give up little gate income for a large wedge of TV cash. Sad.

Absolutely. If it were to come here, it certainly won't be Liverpool who'd have to give up a home game, but you can bet your arse that Saints home to Man City would be played in Seattle or something.

The big issue with the 39th game has always been how do you not make things unequal? Every team playing every other team home and away is totally balanced but happens if you add an extra game? If two teams are battling relegation and one has to play a team of a similar level while the other is playing Man City then that is a huge advantage.

I'd guess you'd go by the previous league placings. 1st v 2nd down to playoff winner v 2nd in championship

No it wouldn't, it would be a disaster for Saints! Their income would fall significantly and the quality of players we could attract would also decline.

You are assuming that peoples enjoyment is based purely on big name players ...it isn't I got plenty of enjoyment out of games watching Danny Butterfield and Dean Hammond as I did watching VVD and Mane.

You are assuming that peoples enjoyment is based purely on big name players ...it isn't I got plenty of enjoyment out of games watching Danny Butterfield and Dean Hammond as I did watching VVD and Mane.

I made no mention of that. I was talking about the quality of the football. If the "big clubs" leave the league, Southampton's income will fall sharply and we'd be watching a lower standard of footballers.

I made no mention of that. I was talking about the quality of the football. If the "big clubs" leave the league, Southampton's income will fall sharply and we'd be watching a lower standard of footballers.

Your mistake is think we care. We've all seen lower standards of players in the past, and you know what i enjoyed football a hell of a lot more then than i do now we're in the lopsided, biased from the start money league that is the premier league.

I watch Saints for Saints, not for who we're playing, and i'd rather watch a more competitive Saints side (and league) without "better" players than what we get served up currently.

Which matters how? Real saints fans would go regardless of the league or quality of players because its our club and we want to support them. We where in the PL allegedly watching PL players last season at it was about as enjoyable as getting your scrotum waxed.

Which matters how? Real saints fans would go regardless of the league or quality of players because its our club and we want to support them. We where in the PL allegedly watching PL players last season at it was about as enjoyable as getting your scrotum waxed.

without the money, could sell Staplewood for housing bar a small corner (and rent that bit)

could get a nice sponsor on board to over the short fall, something lilke TitanBet...big letter across the roof of SMS maybe

Your mistake is think we care. We've all seen lower standards of players in the past, and you know what i enjoyed football a hell of a lot more then than i do now we're in the lopsided, biased from the start money league that is the premier league.

I watch Saints for Saints, not for who we're playing, and i'd rather watch a more competitive Saints side (and league) without "better" players than what we get served up currently.

Exactly this. Thank you.

without the money, could sell Staplewood for housing bar a small corner (and rent that bit)

could get a nice sponsor on board to over the short fall, something lilke TitanBet...big letter across the roof of SMS maybe

Why would we need to? If the big boys **** off to form a super league we and the 14 other clubs will just end up in the same boat as the football league sides. That be a period of re-adjustment but hardly a massive drama.

Why would we need to? If the big boys **** off to form a super league we and the 14 other clubs will just end up in the same boat as the football league sides. That be a period of re-adjustment but hardly a massive drama.

and we heard from Eric that t he club drew up big plans for cut backs had we got relegated last season.

Remember when the corners of SMS were permanently closed? Think Staplewood would function as is? We would still lose players as we do....

all WITH parachute payments

and we heard from Eric that t he club drew up big plans for cut backs had we got relegated last season.

Remember when the corners of SMS were permanently closed? Think Staplewood would function as is? We would still lose players as we do....

all WITH parachute payments

We aren't talking about relegation we are talking about the situation we and 14 other clubs would be in if the big boys left and the PL died. I'm challenging MLTs assertion I would be a disaster because we would see a lesser quality of football than now. It would make **** all difference to me I'd still be a saints fan and go and watch them. I'm guessing you wouldn't?

We aren't talking about relegation we are talking about the situation we and 14 other clubs would be in if the big boys left and the PL died. I'm challenging MLTs assertion I would be a disaster because we would see a lesser quality of football than now. It would make **** all difference to me I'd still be a saints fan and go and watch them. I'm guessing you wouldn't?

will be like relegation. Sky and overseas TV companies are not going to throw us billions of £££££ if the big boys are not there

I'm not sure the quality of football would drop much... if the top teams form their own league, we would still have access to the same players. Yes money might go down but those players would have to take a pay cut as they aren't going to get money elsewhere. We can still employ the same tactic now, getting young players and then seeing them leave for the big teams, making money in the process.

will be like relegation. Sky and overseas TV companies are not going to throw us billions of £££££ if the big boys are not there

But who cares?

It would only be like relegation from an income/spotlight perspective, and why should we be bothered about that? We're only props for the big clubs anyway. We would still be playing in the top tier of English football, thus not like relegation.

But who cares?

It would only be like relegation from an income/spotlight perspective, and why should we be bothered about that? We're only props for the big clubs anyway. We would still be playing in the top tier of English football, thus not like relegation.

it will be like relegation as the TV money would drop by...dunno, a relegation amount.....maybe?

We will still lose players, SMS will probably have the corners closed for good. Staplewood would probably wind right down as it is vast for a club NOT getting the current level of finance.....

It is not a 39th game, it will be a regular game, but will definitely never be an El Clasico. Its also not yet set when this will start, only that it will happen at some time in the not too distant future. Quite honestly the US is welcome to it, whether they will be enthused by standard La Liga matches, which for the most part are deadly dull, is debateable. Can't see the PL sanctioning a regular PL match in this way, but the 39th round makes some sense.

No it wouldn't, it would be a disaster for Saints! Their income would fall significantly and the quality of players we could attract would also decline.

Totally disagree with you. I think the evenness of competition is more important than the quality of player. I enjoy my lad's school football more than some PL games.

it will be like relegation as the TV money would drop by...dunno, a relegation amount.....maybe?

We will still lose players, SMS will probably have the corners closed for good. Staplewood would probably wind right down as it is vast for a club NOT getting the current level of finance.....

Yes that's what I said - "only like relegation from an income perspective", but not from a football perspective. Everything you talk about is related to income, but that will be the same for every team, so from a competition perspective it will be unchanged.

Yes that's what I said - "only like relegation from an income perspective", but not from a football perspective. Everything you talk about is related to income, but that will be the same for every team, so from a competition perspective it will be unchanged.

yes, got you.

I listened to talkSport pontificating about this game, and they were all saying it will be a big boy playing against a lesser team who can offer them a decent match, rather than el Classico. Not the best clubs playing each other. The arrogance was amazing - some little club doing Real/Barca and the TV companies a favour. Their biggest match shipped overseas and **** the local fans who may or may not be ST holders, while the big boys keep their biggest games in Spain.

Horrendous greed pandering to arm chair supporters who might see "their" team once in their life. Screw those who actually live in and around where the club comes from and go week in, week out.

Do wonder whether it'll be the big boys who jump first, or whether it'll be the likes of Celtic, Ajax, Copenhagen, Benfica etc who are all big fishes in small, restrictive ponds and can see the gap growing between them and the elite, and wonder whether it's worth being part of an Atlantic League like has been mooted before.

Edited by GGalpin

I listened to talkSport pontificating about this game, and they were all saying it will be a big boy playing against a lesser team who can offer them a decent match, rather than el Classico. Not the best clubs playing each other. The arrogance was amazing - some little club doing Real/Barca and the TV companies a favour. Their biggest match shipped overseas and **** the local fans who may or may not be ST holders, while the big boys keep their biggest games in Spain.

Horrendous greed pandering to arm chair supporters who might see "their" team once in their life. Screw those who actually live in and around where the club comes from and go week in, week out.

If the PL get on board you just know it will be:

PL: "We've picked out Manchester United vs Watford as a possible fixture to play in the US"

MU: "Sorry but we don't want one of our home games to be played away from Old Trafford"

PL: "Ok, fair enough, Watford v Manchester United then?"

MU: "Sounds good"

WF: "Hang on a sec..."

PL: "That's decided then."

There was a similar thread on here a while back, where the usual suspects were discussing the top 6/8 breaking away and forming a Euro Super League.....the amount of posters that assumed that once they were gone, we would start being there or there abouts with regards to winning league titles, was very funny.

It's a subjective opinion - there's no right or wrong. I think I'd enjoy football far more if the top four sod off and I wouldn't miss them either. Neither do I cheer or follow bank statements so income falling wouldn't bother me particularly. Of course the quality of player may dip but that would be compensated by games (and seasons) being significantly more competitive. That might not float your boat but I like it (and it seems so do a lot of other people). Have to say that none of our seasons in the prem have matched the excitement of our L1 and Championship promotion seasons but it's all opinions.....

If the PL get on board you just know it will be:

PL: "We've picked out Manchester United vs Watford as a possible fixture to play in the US"

MU: "Sorry but we don't want one of our home games to be played away from Old Trafford"

PL: "Ok, fair enough, Watford v Manchester United then?"

MU: "Sounds good"

WF: "Hang on a sec..."

PL: "That's decided then."

This is true.....but only if part of the regular season. If it was a 39th game, who plays who? The idea is that it has to be meaningful as fans aren't as interested in meaningless friendlies.

It would be more interesting to see what reaction would be garnered from a ManU/Liverpool game being held in USA. Who exactly is going to benefit from all this? I suspect not the loyal supporter who trundles a long to the grounds in England, week in week out. And if we start mucking about playing games all over the world, how long will it then be before Celtic and Rangers join the PL. You start mucking about with what you have, you might as well carry on and totally muck things up. Or is that a bit too fanciful?

Sports fans in the US seem to accept moving games for some reason, but I don't think English fans will take too kindly. You really think Liverpool fans will just roll over, even for an away game? Man Utd fans too, they have an excellent away following. Even more so if they take away one of their home games.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction from Spanish fans. I hope they protest/riot.

Christ, did you work on the remain campaign? The corners of sms were closed permanently because we weren't even close to selling out the ground, not because our income dropped.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

I'd have much rather relived the promotion season in league one than that sh1te that was served up last season. The quality of football was better.

Spain is doing it to "catch up with the Premier League". If the Premier League is already ahead... they don't need to catch up. Nor will this really help Spain catch-up/overtake the PL.

To clarify, I'm talking about the deal for the extra league game. I agree the PL is generally in the front seat otherwise. As yet no agreement for a PL game in the US or elsewhere (regular league game or the famous 39th game).

It is not a 39th game, it will be a regular game, but will definitely never be an El Clasico. Its also not yet set when this will start, only that it will happen at some time in the not too distant future. Quite honestly the US is welcome to it, whether they will be enthused by standard La Liga matches, which for the most part are deadly dull, is debateable. Can't see the PL sanctioning a regular PL match in this way, but the 39th round makes some sense.

The 39th game makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

I can see it becoming a bit like Formula 1 (and as boring) with an elite group of clubs playing a round of matches against each other in a different country each week......

I can see it becoming a bit like Formula 1 (and as boring) with an elite group of clubs playing a round of matches against each other in a different country each week......

Yup totally agree, and what i was alluding too, i think it's highly likely that if they can get away with it they'll go down that route, financially it makes a lot more sense to them.