Everton 2-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Think there is far too much negativity, poor first half much better 2nd but Everton away is not easy for anyone and they have spent massively, yet didn't look much than us without our 3 main signings.

People need to chill its early days, with those 3 in next week I think we'll be fine.

We move onto the next one but no doubt we will get the excuses in ie Everton spent loads of money blah blah.

Only Richarlison played out of the players they signed I think, so that's no excuse. We were simply second best and very poor and resorted to dirty tactics because it was the only way we could handle them.

Think there is far too much negativity, poor first half much better 2nd but Everton away is not easy for anyone and they have spent massively, yet didn't look much than us without our 3 main signings.

People need to chill its early days, with those 3 in next week I think we'll be fine.

Better second half!!!!!!!!!!!

What game were you watching, for the last 30 mins we barely touched the ball due to the tactical mastery of our manager.

If Ings had of scored his chance in the first half would you consider that a great half too.

There was no reason to blame anyone in 16-17, we achieved our aim.

17-18 was the manager, the players and, principally, the board/recruitment department.

Most people were saying Pellegrino was the worst manager in our history? If that was true, and we had poor recruitment, and we had poor players, how were we not 10 points adrift at the bottom of the table?

Got better as the game went on, but the subs were terribble. Pierre needed to come on for one either Lemina or Romeu who were both on red cards. This meant that we lost the midfield after we scored.

Long should only come on if everyone else in the squad is sick. He offered even less than Charlie Austin.

On the poasitive side ings looks good.

We need to work out who partners Vestegard and the build from there.

PS Lee Mason gave us nothing. ripping someones shirt with your follow through has to be dangerous play !

Looking at that realistically, we lost, which

We usually do at Everton and it could have been worse.

But for various reasons we were without four likely starters, including two CBs. That wasn't the manager's fault by I was sure by his choices to replace those four. Would have liked to see Bednarek but probably in a three, which we inexplicably dropped today. I can only assume the plan all week was to switch to a back four including Vestergaard and when he was I'll it was a choice of abandoning the change or hoping two of Stephens, Hoedt and Bednarek could do the job, and they couldn't.

I didn't disagree with JWP for Armstrong but wish we'd gone 4231 rather than the two strikers, especially when one was the static Austin. If we're going 442 please can we see Gabbiadini with Ings? Why couldn't we have given Sims or Hesketh a chance today?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Or in our case, loan Hoedt out to another club because we massively overpaid for Lazio's 4th choice CB.

Remember, our recruitment team is the envy of the world.

A weird Scottish midget in an oversized suit, a never-has-been and never-will-be smug football executive and a team of nerds with Macs looking at FIFA ultimate team cards to pinpoint our next signing.

Great algorithm.

Reasons to be positive.... None of Gabbi, Vest, Yoshi, Elmo or Armstrong stared and all 5 would have improved that team.

Why Hughes sent Long on for Austin I don't know. If anything it's quite worrying, as if Hughes has completely run out of ideas and just sent someone on to run around.

Oh well, we're always sh*te at Goodison.

Centre defence looked awful today. Both Stephens and Hoedt were poor, but Hoedt was worse. In the first half it seemed like with every attacking set piece for the home team, an Everton head got to the ball first. Undone by a training ground free kick on the first goal, in which Morgan set up Theo to score, and then opened with ease for the second goal, with Richarliason jumping all over Cedric to score from Theo Walcott’s cross.

I’d start Vestergaard (assuming he’s recovered from his illness) and Yoshi over Hoedt and Stephens. Bednarek may well be better in the centre of defence than Hoedt.

Saints looked better in the second half, but after Ings’ goal the substitutions seemed to suck all momentum out of the team. Long and Gabbiadini were pretty anonymous. Ings and Austin at least had some decent chances in the first half.

Idrissa Guaye looked excellent for them in midfield.

Most people were saying Pellegrino was the worst manager in our history? If that was true, and we had poor recruitment, and we had poor players, how were we not 10 points adrift at the bottom of the table?

The early part of the season was down to the fact that he hadn't properly implemented his tactics. And we still had VVD.

Jesus, this forum sucks the soul out of you. More attacking threat than we've seen in the previous two years away to Everton where we NEVER win. The big V back, try Ings and Gabbi from kick-off and start with the intensity we had in the second half and we'll be fine.

Totally agree.

Remember, our recruitment team is the envy of the world.

A weird Scottish midget in an oversized suit, a never-has-been and never-will-be smug football executive and a team of nerds with Macs looking at FIFA ultimate team cards to pinpoint our next signing.

Great algorithm.

2exx8qo.jpg

I see all the anti Hughes folk are coming out of the woodwork now. Bit odd.

He's not the problem, it's players like Hoedt who are the problem.

Can't really see many of those?

Or do you mean if you question a managers decisions that makes you anti them?

Personally I felt Hughes' team selection and tactics were confusing today. To not be allowed to question them for fear of being branded anti Hughes is a bit strange no?

I don't want him out. Maybe he shouldn't have stayed on from the end of last season but he has and I accept that. I want him to do well a it means we do well. But if he makes mistakes I won't just ignore them and put my head in the sand. We won't improve if we do that.

Second half we had a decent spell. Then we changed things around and it all fizzled out. We didn't even really get a goal chance after that.

Ref was crap. Didn't give us a thing today. But then again Mason never does. I'd like to see stats on the games where he's been our ref. Having said that we are just not good enough and never will be with a defensive partnership which includes Hoedt and Stephens. They are utter rubbish and would struggle in the National League. I felt that the team that started today wouldn't get anything from a ground where we are notoriously bad at getting anything. Yoshi must wonder what the hell he has to do to get in the team. Yoshi and Vetsegaard would be my choice. Midfield of Romeu, Armstrong, Moi and Hodj, with Gabbi and Ings up front would be better defensively and going forward.

Is Hughes still finding out about players or does he honestly believe that the team he picked today would be our best chance of a result? If so, then I fear for us as we'll struggle to defend and score if Hoedt, Stephens and Austin start every game.

Reasons to be positive.... None of Gabbi, Vest, Yoshi, Elmo or Armstrong stared and all 5 would have improved that team.

Why Hughes sent Long on for Austin I don't know. If anything it's quite worrying, as if Hughes has completely run out of ideas and just sent someone on to run around.

Oh well, we're always sh*te at Goodison.

Why hughes sent for Long was bad but why Hughes thinks throwing extra attackers on and losing any semblance of midfield control was a sensible idea is far far worse. Chump management 101.

Will give MH benefit of the doubt considering he has not had the chance to play his first choice CB pairing (yosh and vest)

CA a passenger unless he gets tap ins delivered to him on a plate. Swap him with Gabbj and start with Yosh and Vest, we should be fine. Lower half finish, nothing more. Hopefully get a target man in Jan

Sat on bus back into city. Haven’t got me reading glasses so apologies if any errors. I’m as blind as Mason without them .

Poor first half, defensively shocking . Both full backs poor, particularly Bertrand

Much better second half, nice to see a bit of nastiness. Game it a go, could have pinched something at the end. Bertrand played well second half , as did Redmond . Ings stand out player & I thought Lomg gave us some presence up top. Play like we did second half and we’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Injuries and illnesses handicapped us with last years team.

Everton even with all their millions spent could only just beat last years 17th place team.

Get our new boys fit and providing crosses to Ings and we'll be cruising.

Charlie Austin is doing a great impression of Micky Evans....Austin is done. Should no longer be first choice striker.

Missed Vesty today, had he played in sure it would have been different. I take positives from the 2nd half and that we came out fighting. We had chances, Ings was bright. Need more from Romeu, Redmond, Lemina. JWP can’t get into the team purely for dead ball situations. He must offer more.

Hojbjerg can’t be far off.

Vardy suspended for next week. Big, big game. Need 3 points

Will give MH benefit of the doubt considering he has not had the chance to play his first choice CB pairing (yosh and vest)

CA a passenger unless he gets tap ins delivered to him on a plate. Swap him with Gabbj and start with Yosh and Vest, we should be fine. Lower half finish, nothing more. Hopefully get a target man in Jan

Why is that his preferred CB pairing?

Everton have a Top 8 squad, so the result was neither bad nor unexpected.

The original game plan went down the sh*tter with Vestergaard's illness, but Hughes's Mistake #1 was pairing Stephens and Hoedt, and leaving Yoshida on the bench. That contributed to a(nother) poor first half. Yet again, Cedric gets done like a kipper on a ball that wasn't even that high, and by a guy hardly known for his aerial prowess. Hughes really, really needs to start Yoshida, or these problems will continue.

After that first half I thought we did okay, although the 'distribution' from the two CBs consisted of inaccurate hoofing. Playing it out from the back with those two paired together just ain't gonna happen.

Hughes's Mistake #2 was putting Long on ahead of Gabbiadini, which created Mistake #3 - trying to play with three up when Everton just wanted to play ball retention. If he'd used that first sub on Gabby we could easily have got something.

There were positives for those willing to see them. We weren't playing away to a bottom half side.

Everton have a Top 8 squad, so the result was neither bad nor unexpected.

The original game plan went down the sh*tter with Vestergaard's illness, but Hughes's Mistake #1 was pairing Stephens and Hoedt, and leaving Yoshida on the bench. That contributed to a(nother) poor first half. Yet again, Cedric gets done like a kipper on a ball that wasn't even that high, and by a guy hardly known for his aerial prowess. Hughes really, really needs to start Yoshida, or these problems will continue.

After that first half I thought we did okay, although the 'distribution' from the two CBs consisted of inaccurate hoofing. Playing it out from the back with those two paired together just ain't gonna happen.

Hughes's Mistake #2 was putting Long on ahead of Gabbiadini, which created Mistake #3 - trying to play with three up when Everton just wanted to play ball retention. If he'd used that first sub on Gabby we could easily have got something.

There were positives for those willing to see them. We weren't playing away to a bottom half side.

I thought Everton were very average. I don’t see them pulling up many trees this season.

Stephens and Heodt generally mean we have to score twice to get anything

This was the case today despite Everton not needing to be that good.

Thought Austin was terrible, can’t see him really being any more than an impact player at the moment.

Decent 2nd half though but feel we have wasted pre season with the 5 at the back. Has to be 433/4231

I thought Everton were very average. I don’t see them pulling up many trees this season.

Yep, they weren’t great but I suppose they didn’t have to be.

You could kind of see they were a bit of a team though.

So glad West Ham are continuing the lolz. Pellegrini :lol:

What exactly did the ref do wrong other than not sending off Lemina for a blatant second yellow?

Blatant yellow ? If Mason didn’t give it, it certainly wasn’t blatant !

Nothing particularly ‘game changing’ but every 50/50’ went their way !

Blatant yellow ? If Mason didn’t give it, it certainly wasn’t blatant !

Nothing particularly ‘game changing’ but every 50/50’ went their way !

Clearly i was watching a different game as i saw saints kicking lumps out of everton & justifiably getting booked. Lemina getting booked, then being called for a second(if debatable foul), then hauling down an everton player for a third one when he lost control of the ball.

Only one 50/50 with redmond seemed to be harsh against us imo

Clearly i was watching a different game as i saw saints kicking lumps out of everton & justifiably getting booked. Lemina getting booked, then being called for a second(if debatable foul), then hauling down an everton player for a third one when he lost control of the ball.

Only one 50/50 with redmond seemed to be harsh against us imo

Indeed, I thought we were lucky to finish the game with 11 players. Alehouse football in the first half. Better in the 2nd but Everton lost their compusure when Morgan went off, Davies has no discipline, rushes about like a blue arsed fly and we exploited that quite well.

Just to note Everton have spent about £140 million over the last 6 months, and 3/4 of our major signings were basically out today, so they narrowly beat last years 17th placed team (+Ings) at home, think we;ll be fine. if you look at probably West Ham and Everton being rated 'best of the rest' and neither looks much cop, plus big spending Wolves and Fulham have not started excellently either.

I’m more worried that we are off to bad start again this season and puts pressure now on for result against Leicester. Not surprised by defence problems, we saw the same in Vigo game and BMG game. Not addressed problem of HOW to defend never mind WHO is picked for defence.

We are going to have to score a lot this year to get wins

Just to note Everton have spent about £140 million over the last 6 months, and 3/4 of our major signings were basically out today, so they narrowly beat last years 17th placed team (+Ings) at home, think we;ll be fine. if you look at probably West Ham and Everton being rated 'best of the rest' and neither looks much cop, plus big spending Wolves and Fulham have not started excellently either.

Richarlison was the only Everton player on the field today that didn't play for them last season I believe. They may have spent a lot of money lately but like us they haven't got it onto the pitch yet. In fact at least some of Saints signings have played at least 1 game so far.