Hughes Post Match Comments

Dusic

I thought it would be good to have a thread showing Mark Hughes reaction to our performances: win, lose or draw.

To ensure full representation I have taken the comments in full from the BBC Sport website.

Might be interesting if any themes emerge across the season and to see if people agree or disagree with how the Gaffer has seen the game.

----------------

18th Aug - Everton (1-2)

For the most part we did OK, I thought we had the better general play and chances created. Unfortunately we found ourselves two down.

It was not a particularly poor first half and the second half we got a goal back which was important. It was a very stop-start game and the referee allowed it to be fragmented."

On goalscorer Danny Ings:*"I am delighted he is off the mark and get the momentum building. His transition to be a Saints player will be very smooth."

On a late challenge by Pickford on Ings:*"The keeper is lucky to stay on, he carries on with his boot. I am surprised the referee did not see that or it warrant any further punishment. It was a little bit like his [the referee's] performance."

-----------

12th Aug - Burnley (1-1)

"I was a bit concerned that Burnley had more competitive games albeit a tough trip in Europe.

"We didn't get them on the back foot and they had control in the first half and caused us problems. We changed it in the second half and controlled it. We had any number of chances to win the game.

"You saw Danny's clever play today, linking and retaining possession. He allowed us to move further up the field and that augurs well. We're looking forward to getting him up to speed."

------------

Personally agree with Burnley comments but not the ref blaming from yesterday - he referee IMO had no outcome on the result.

The ref was crap but he’s got to pay more attention to his poor team selections so far. They’re more of a reason as to why we’ve looked iffy.

Totally agree

I believe he does not know his first team. Pre season was wasted to a degree with the constant 5 at the back

As for Pickford, IMO it wasn't a red but a yellow and free kick would be fair, any other area on the pitch by another player thats a free kick.

Rubbish, it’s not a yellow elsewhere or just a free kick it’s a red. If that was an outfield player that would have been a straight red, no questions asked no doubt about it. If a centre half tackles like that, he’s off. End of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rubbish, it’s not a yellow elsewhere or just a free kick it’s a red. If that was an outfield player that would have been a straight red, no questions asked no doubt about it. If a centre half tackles like that, he’s off. End of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we are back with the incredible inconsistent officiating, after a decent world cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45241638

Gareth Crooks has added his thoughts to the matter (see comments on why he picked Jordan Pickford in his team of the week!?)

Yea ...of course it's perfectly reasonable to go in with your studs up 3 foot off the ground with sufficient force to slash someone's back and shred an opponent's shirt .. Be*lend !

Dermot Gallgher says the referee made the right decision in his weekly 'Ref Watch' spot on Sky Sports

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11477502/ref-watch-kenedy-kick-is-a-red-card-offence-says-dermot-gallagher

Everton 2-1 Southampton

INCIDENT: Jordan Pickford should have been sent off, according to Southampton manager Mark Hughes, after the Everton goalkeeper caught Danny Ings in clearing a ball in the second half. Pickford escaped without punishment.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Correct decision

Pickford clashes with Ings

DERMOT SAYS: "I don't think this is a foul. The player gets the ball quite clearly. The goalkeeper goes to win the ball, he gets the ball and he's in the air, and his boot catches the shirt. I don't think any referee is going to give a foul for that.

"The goalkeeper has to go for the ball and he's cleared the ball. He's got tangled up in the shirt, and the referee was right to play on."

Dermot Gallgher says the referee made the right decision in his weekly 'Ref Watch' spot on Sky Sports

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11477502/ref-watch-kenedy-kick-is-a-red-card-offence-says-dermot-gallagher

Everton 2-1 Southampton

INCIDENT: Jordan Pickford should have been sent off, according to Southampton manager Mark Hughes, after the Everton goalkeeper caught Danny Ings in clearing a ball in the second half. Pickford escaped without punishment.

DERMOT SAYS: "I don't think this is a foul. The player gets the ball quite clearly. The goalkeeper goes to win the ball, he gets the ball and he's in the air, and his boot catches the shirt. I don't think any referee is going to give a foul for that.

"The goalkeeper has to go for the ball and he's cleared the ball. He's got tangled up in the shirt, and the referee was right to play on."

Hang on so if an outfield player goes to play a ball gets to it first but then follows on into another player with his studs up the ref wouldn't give it as a foul?

Hang on so if an outfield player goes to play a ball gets to it first but then follows on into another player with his studs up the ref wouldn't give it as a foul?

It's even worse than that, you can see he shifts slightly to make sure he catches him with the follow through. Utterly disgusting.

Everton 2-1 Southampton

I assume he said that Vardy should not get sent off then

I assume he said that Vardy should not get sent off then

Agree with both comments. EXCESSIVE FORCE overrides "whether he got the ball."

Dermot Gallagher has time on his hands now to keep up with the current laws of the game.

He contradicted himself today when asked if he knew what was his best XI "I have a pretty good idea". Last week he said he didn't have a best XI as such just a solid 25 man squad from which to pick a side each week depending upon the oppo.

Er, players back late from WC still having an impact whilst others have disappointed by not realising the full potential he had hoped for from them...

Starting to blame the players then for our poor start, not his training methods, playing style or tactical nous. OK, Mark we'll take that with a wee pinch of salt then.

He contradicted himself today when asked if he knew what was his best XI "I have a pretty good idea". Last week he said he didn't have a best XI as such just a solid 25 man squad from which to pick a side each week depending upon the oppo.

Er, players back late from WC still having an impact whilst others have disappointed by not realising the full potential he had hoped for from them...

Starting to blame the players then for our poor start, not his training methods, playing style or tactical nous. OK, Mark we'll take that with a wee pinch of salt then.

Well he may have a better idea after two games than he does after one - which would be better than still not knowing.

Well he may have a better idea after two games than he does after one - which would be better than still not knowing.

Exactly

If he is still saying that in October with us just struggling to tread water and he has been seen to do anything apart from stand around with his hands in his pockets then it’s time to start researching the hardware catalogue for timber and nails for a gallows.

Anyway I don’t think the PC police have issued a ban on subtle motivational mind games, “er yes my starting XI is firmly cemented in my mind” cue pipe and comfy slippers for those starting Saturday thinking their appearance bonus is secured till Christmas, whereas those who don’t play Saturday or make the bench, think ho hum and coast through training losing their edge.

Your boring

Southampton manager Mark Hughes:*"We were excellent first half. We got our noses in front with a fantastic goal from Ryan but if we managed that game better, we could have come away with something.

"At that point, I thought the only winner was us, but momentum shifted and that was a really hammer blow to lose at the end."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45230640

Nothing of note this week.

What did he say about Hojberg diving? In the past with other clubs I've always hated how he had blinkers regarding referees decisions whether they went for him or against him and regardless of whether they were blatantly wrong or not. Would be embarrassing if he tried defending Hojberg.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

What did he say about Hojberg diving? In the past with other clubs I've always hated how he had blinkers regarding referees decisions whether they went for him or against him and regardless of whether they were blatantly wrong or not. Would be embarrassing if he tried defending Hojberg.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

He tried to defend Hojbjerg by saying there was contact, and that his first yellow wasn’t a yellow despite it being for an accumulation of fouls of which 2 could have been yellows in themselves. It was embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He tried to defend Hojbjerg by saying there was contact, and that his first yellow wasn’t a yellow despite it being for an accumulation of fouls of which 2 could have been yellows in themselves. It was embarrassing.

I thought he tried to 'protect' Hojberg a bit in his comments on MOTD. The suggestion that he 'picked up' a knock some distance out was quite fanciful, bordering ridiculous in my book. But I'd rather he didn't go full 'Mourinho' on one of our players in public and caused a major media circus. I suspect he might have had a few stronger words in the dressing room for PEH, and that's fine by me.

Before the lynch mob go overboard about his comments yesterday, they were probably a little better thought out than Adkins after Rodriguez incident at Aston Villa where we were awarded a penalty after there appeared to be no contact. Something to the effect of 'well, if he'd made contact he would have gone down.. so he went down anyway...' okay the last part is my summary and take on it, but it seemed even more embarrassing than Hughes response yesterday.

What did annoy me yesterday though was the Solent interview with Hughes where Adam Blackmore avoided the obvious questions that supporters would have liked a response on: Hughes view on the incident and sending off, why no Gabbiadini or Yoshida especially with the close of the transfer window this week. Sounded to me if it was pre-agreed that these topics were off limits.

I thought he tried to 'protect' Hojberg a bit in his comments on MOTD. The suggestion that he 'picked up' a knock some distance out was quite fanciful, bordering ridiculous in my book. But I'd rather he didn't go full 'Mourinho' on one of our players in public and caused a major media circus. I suspect he might have had a few stronger words in the dressing room for PEH, and that's fine by me.

Before the lynch mob go overboard about his comments yesterday, they were probably a little better thought out than Adkins after Rodriguez incident at Aston Villa where we were awarded a penalty after there appeared to be no contact. Something to the effect of 'well, if he'd made contact he would have gone down.. so he went down anyway...' okay the last part is my summary and take on it, but it seemed even more embarrassing than Hughes response yesterday.

What did annoy me yesterday though was the Solent interview with Hughes where Adam Blackmore avoided the obvious questions that supporters would have liked a response on: Hughes view on the incident and sending off, why no Gabbiadini or Yoshida especially with the close of the transfer window this week. Sounded to me if it was pre-agreed that these topics were off limits.

Blackmore‘s gone back to being supportive of almost everything the club and Hughes are doing now since Pellegrino was sacked, he let Reed and Kruger off very lightly by deflecting questions or changing them so they weren’t so harsh, he’s been very supportive of the way the teams played or been set up despite it clearly not working. He’s just a yes man for the club basically but fair enough as he works for the BBC and doesn’t support the club, at least Leitch has more of a backbone.

Blackmore‘s gone back to being supportive of almost everything the club and Hughes are doing now since Pellegrino was sacked, he let Reed and Kruger off very lightly by deflecting questions or changing them so they weren’t so harsh, he’s been very supportive of the way the teams played or been set up despite it clearly not working. He’s just a yes man for the club basically but fair enough as he works for the BBC and doesn’t support the club, at least Leitch has more of a backbone.

This is probably the trade off for the fans forum, we'll give you access but don't question us too much..

it took a while last season for him to believe MP should be gone.

Remember about october last year, Le Tiss and himself mocked fans who thought MP was going to send us down and wanted a change early on

it took a while last season for him to believe MP should be gone.

Remember about october last year, Le Tiss and himself mocked fans who thought MP was going to send us down and wanted a change early on

At least with matt you could make the argument that he doesn't see that many games and so probably has a bit of a false impression. Adam watches every game...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What do we think for Saturday?

A.) We were just a bit leggy from Tuesday night and gave them too much space. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

B.) We are conceding goals a bit too readily at the moment. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

C.) We just haven't quite got that confidence in front of goal at the moment. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

... or maybe :

D) It's clear that I'm not up to this PL manager lark, so, after reflection, and in fairness to the club and the fans, I've decided to render my resignation. It's the only honorable thing to do. Furthermore I don't think it's right that I take the remainder of my contracts salary, as receiving money for nothing is tantamount to theft in my book. I would also like to state for the record that myself and Charlie Austin are in a relationship and will remain so for the the foreseeable future (chuckles)... I hope !

What do we think for Saturday?

A.) We were just a bit leggy from Tuesday night and gave them too much space. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

B.) We are conceding goals a bit too readily at the moment. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

C.) We just haven't quite got that confidence in front of goal at the moment. But I am seeing good signs that we will get the points we deserve soon.

D.) I always knew it was on the cards, performances haven't been matched by results this season, but I think 6-0 is a fair reflection of the game. I am really made up for Charlie and Shane they have been working really hard on the training ground and really deserved their Hattricks today. It was a fantastic defensive display by Wesley he had Martial, Lukaku and Rashford in his pocket all game long. It was great display by Nathan to, he was my man of the match, it takes a real special player to get six assists in 90 minutes. All in all we are very happy and hopefully this will push us on to a long winning streak.*

* if Carlsberg did football matches for saints fans