Mark Hughes - Fan Oppinons (August 2018)

Saint86

I really can’t see anyone sacking Hughes if we never won a game in the first ten.

That would be three failures appointed and Goa will not do

nothing to move on Reed and Ralph as he has no knowledge of football at all.

Gao has zero knowledge, Ralph is a hockey coach and Les is Les.

Blind leading the blind leading the blind.

I think he's dire.

I wanted to like him, tried to be positive but the Stoke mess was there for all to see. Yes we stayed up, but he won 2 games, that's all. We were lucky everyone else was so rubbish. Performances were still often awful.

Biggest problem is he seems clueless about his team and approach. Played a good line up to take on burnley against everton, and a good line up to take on everton against burnley! Just seems to be no thought to it. Endless changes, hoping something will come off more through luck than judgement. Persists with Long, no idea why. Ignores Gabbiadini and Gallagher, loans out Sims.

I just can't see him lasting here. Hopefully we'll scrape a few wins to make it far easier for the next guy coming in but would be surprised if he's manager come the end of the season. Just want us to actually get our identity back of decent football and opportunities for youngsters. If their path is blocked by decent players performing well, fine, but these days the path is blocked by underperforming dross.

I was excited to see Gabbiadini, Elyounassi and Ings play together in a 433. The signing of Armstrong seems to free things up for a more attacking 433 with him ahead of Hojbjerg and Romeu. Already accepted that will never happen. We'll moan about signings, but it's futile if the manager can't get the best out of what he has anyway. My enthusiasm completely went out the window when I saw his opening day line up.

2 wins in 10 for Hughes and 8 goals in those games for us. Just not at all convinced he knows how to win games at this level anymore.

Presumably if he’d played Sims, Hesketh, Gallagher, Jones, Valery etc and got worse results you’d be spunking all over his performance and he’d be the best manager of all time because he’d be doing what you DEMAND he did. Play the youngsters FFS

I have to say upon reading most of the above, seems a fair few folks have gotten so use to the failings of the club over the last 2 managerial appointments that its almost ingrained in the psyche that as everything goes in 3s the same applies to Southampton managerial appointments Adkins - Pochettino - Koeman.......Oops: Puel - Pelligrino - "ah Hughes is bound to follow". Let the Witch hunt commence!!..........Its like the voice you hear behind you in the stand who moans every week (5-0 up and that same voice is still moaning) its like a default setting.

We are a mere 2 games in, first half we were not at the races v Burnley but much improved second half, again Saturday absolute pants first half, better second half with only 2 of the 4 players we bought to improve us able to make a contribution. The number of Hughes threads on here that are ultimately placing him under the microscope, anyone would think that we had just replaced Sir Alex Ferguson with David Moyes!

Of course the Manager has to take flak for poor performance of the team.

However this is the third Manager who is struggling with our squad of well paid 'stars'

Puel and Pellegrino both adopted careful strategies whereas Hughes is trying to push on a bit in an endeavour to score more goals.

Unfortunately all three Managers have suffered from a lack of quality of the playing staff.

Was it dear old Les that said we had one of the best midfields in the League a season or two back.

I would seriously question that statement and the lack of quality in this area of the pitch impacts on the deficiencies in central defence and upfront.

Really don't feel we can call it yet. Last year was a pretty clear survival brief with a low morale mess of a team, now he is starting his first season doing things as he intends it to be. We've shown problems and we've shown potential. We won't know properly for another ten games or so. His past record? Well, as has been shown, it depends how you read it. Lots of good seasons, a couple of poor ones, so take your pick and judge his record through your choice of spectacles. Strachan was poor everywhere but here, Redknapp generally did okay everywhere but here, Koeman was arguably one of our best ever managers, but failed at Everton horrifically, so is he great or terrible? It's not that easy to judge.

You could make it up and he has. Hughes has managed us for 17 games now, not 2.

Hes also managed 7 clubs over the last 19 years so reasonable that some would be able to have an opinion on him

I know opinions are over rated on here but you could give it a try.

Herewith my opinion :

You have manipulated the stats to suit your agenda - he has managed for 10 competitive games, 8 of which were with an inherited and dispirited squad, 5 of which were away from home. These matches included Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea. Without his impact and man management skills we would have been relegated. He richly deserved the opportunity to continue with us and this season is a new start for which he should be given some time and leeway to find his best team and system, particularly with new signings on board !

Also I strongly believe that incessant criticism (particularly when allied to manipulated statistics) causes undue negativity and serves no useful purpose except of course, to massage the egos of website trolls !

HTH

Herewith my opinion :

You have manipulated the stats to suit your agenda - he has managed for 10 competitive games, 8 of which were with an inherited and dispirited squad, 5 of which were away from home. These matches included Man City, Arsenal & Chelsea. Without his impact and man management skills we would have been relegated. He richly deserved the opportunity to continue with us and this season is a new start for which he should be given some time and leeway to find his best team and system, particularly with new signings on board !

Also I strongly believe that incessant criticism (particularly when allied to manipulated statistics) causes undue negativity and serves no useful purpose except of course, to massage the egos of website trolls !

HTH

Spot on assessment but please don`t quote the troll as several of us are using the ignore function for him

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC