Privatised prisons

whelk

Am I missing something but prison and probation service seems royally screwed since privatisation. Why the hell are such services privatised? I just don’t get it

Officially it saves money and improves efficiency. In reality, it's another example of allowing public money to be leached away by the relatives and ex school chums of our Political masters.

Officially it saves money and improves efficiency. In reality, it's another example of allowing public money to be leached away by the relatives and ex school chums of our Political masters.

I can see the efficiency benefits. You don’t need so many prison officers if make the environment so terrifying that they don’t leave the office. A few more suicides might help as well

Whether they’re private or public, soft arsed liberals & pinkos have screwed our prisons. An ex prison officer works for me & the stories he tells would make you hair curl (if you have any). The only thing the authorities are interested in is controlling them by any means. This mainly involves turning a blind eye to all sorts of practises that mean prisoners don’t kick off. Probation is a ****ing joke, it’s just a tick box exercise and has been for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can I ask a quick question, why are they allowed TV's etc in Prison? Isn't it meant to be a punishment, something that takes away all the freedoms of normal life? Bellends.
I think there's a few studies about incentives for good behaviour and privileges leading to better outcomes.

Whether they’re private or public, soft arsed liberals & pinkos have screwed our prisons.

There must be another cliche or two you could have managed to fit in.

Our ever increasing prison population in ever more crowded and squalid prisons doesn't seem to be working very well, if re-offending rates are anything to go by. But then with the resources cut and the prisons full of people with poor education and mental health problems, rehabilitation doesn't seem much of a priority. Any training done seems to be how to improve your criminal techniques.

Wasn't it Failing Grayling who suggested prisoners not be allowed books? That man is so stupid he'd weld the safety valve on a pressure cooker.

There must be another cliche or two you could have managed to fit in.

Our ever increasing prison population in ever more crowded and squalid prisons doesn't seem to be working very well, if re-offending rates are anything to go by. But then with the resources cut and the prisons full of people with poor education and mental health problems, rehabilitation doesn't seem much of a priority. Any training done seems to be how to improve your criminal techniques.

Wasn't it Failing Grayling who suggested prisoners not be allowed books? That man is so stupid he'd weld the safety valve on a pressure cooker.

should be more like a military prison. Re-offending rate/returning to jail (as you say) is pretty much at 0%

should be more like a military prison. Re-offending rate/returning to jail (as you say) is pretty much at 0%

The problem is people are hardened criminals by the time they get to prison. They’ve been given such soft sentences previously that they’re past the stage they can be helped. I bet reoffending rates wouldn’t be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

The problem is people are hardened criminals by the time they get to prison. They’ve been given such soft sentences previously that they’re past the stage they can be helped. I bet reoffending rates wouldn’t be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

I know people who have done time in both military prison and civilian jail.

Both for pretty lame stuff in the grand scheme of things... the person who came out of the civvy lock up said it was alright and a bit of a laugh at times. Those who I know who have been to Colchester have said it was horrendous and they never want to go back...

Been done in the 1970s LD, and didn’t work then. In principle I agree sentences for those prisoners who pose a clear risk to the public and will be hardest to reform should be a lot longer but are people happy to pay the extra tax to cover it? Costs over £40k a year on average to keep someone behind bars, a lot of money. Government guidelines on sentencing, both Tory and Labour, have been discouraging JPs and to a lesser extent judges from putting people away in guidelines due to the cost and that I am ITK on.

I bet reoffending rates wouldn’t be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

Already been tried by Thatcher. Detention centres with mindless military-style discipline mainly for juveniles and young adults, 90% of which were in there for nicking something.

One inmate said: “I can’t say whether I’ll go out and pinch again or not, but I can tell you that drilling hasn’t made any difference. It makes me better, I think. I enjoy it, it passes the time more quickly and it makes us fit. Next time, we’ll just run faster from the coppers won’t we?”

Some of these centres are now being investigated as part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.

Already been tried by Thatcher. Detention centres with mindless military-style discipline mainly for juveniles and young adults, 90% of which were in there for nicking something.

One inmate said: “I can’t say whether I’ll go out and pinch again or not, but I can tell you that drilling hasn’t made any difference. It makes me better, I think. I enjoy it, it passes the time more quickly and it makes us fit. Next time, we’ll just run faster from the coppers won’t we?”

Some of these centres are now being investigated as part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.

He will never embrace anything progressive as all about pride and ego. Probably thinks the death penalty and internment works. No clue that if you don’t respect people it gets worse as all about being tough never mind the evidence that this is rarely effective,

Likes of him don’t like paying taxes for a better society either as all about them rather than any concern for helping others.