Thread: Privatised prisons

Default Privatised prisons

Am I missing something but prison and probation service seems royally screwed since privatisation. Why the hell are such services privatised? I just donít get it

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Am I missing something but prison and probation service seems royally screwed since privatisation. Why the hell are such services privatised? I just don’t get it
    Officially it saves money and improves efficiency. In reality, it's another example of allowing public money to be leached away by the relatives and ex school chums of our Political masters.

Dogma. Public services which by their nature are monopolies shouldn’t ever be privatised

I think it's brilliant that we have introduced choice into the sector so that inmates feel empowered to shop around and select the prison most appropriate to their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Officially it saves money and improves efficiency. In reality, it's another example of allowing public money to be leached away by the relatives and ex school chums of our Political masters.
    I can see the efficiency benefits. You donít need so many prison officers if make the environment so terrifying that they donít leave the office. A few more suicides might help as well

6. Default

Whether theyíre private or public, soft arsed liberals & pinkos have screwed our prisons. An ex prison officer works for me & the stories he tells would make you hair curl (if you have any). The only thing the authorities are interested in is controlling them by any means. This mainly involves turning a blind eye to all sorts of practises that mean prisoners donít kick off. Probation is a ****ing joke, itís just a tick box exercise and has been for many years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Probation is a ****ing joke, itís just a tick box exercise and has been for many years.
    The probation service is privatised. A vast loss-making, target-missing, care-avoiding private enterprise.

Can I ask a quick question, why are they allowed TV's etc in Prison? Isn't it meant to be a punishment, something that takes away all the freedoms of normal life? Bellends.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Can I ask a quick question, why are they allowed TV's etc in Prison? Isn't it meant to be a punishment, something that takes away all the freedoms of normal life? Bellends.
    I think there's a few studies about incentives for good behaviour and privileges leading to better outcomes.

Whether theyíre private or public, soft arsed liberals & pinkos have screwed our prisons.
    There must be another cliche or two you could have managed to fit in.

Our ever increasing prison population in ever more crowded and squalid prisons doesn't seem to be working very well, if re-offending rates are anything to go by. But then with the resources cut and the prisons full of people with poor education and mental health problems, rehabilitation doesn't seem much of a priority. Any training done seems to be how to improve your criminal techniques.

Wasn't it Failing Grayling who suggested prisoners not be allowed books? That man is so stupid he'd weld the safety valve on a pressure cooker.

Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    There must be another cliche or two you could have managed to fit in.

Our ever increasing prison population in ever more crowded and squalid prisons doesn't seem to be working very well, if re-offending rates are anything to go by. But then with the resources cut and the prisons full of people with poor education and mental health problems, rehabilitation doesn't seem much of a priority. Any training done seems to be how to improve your criminal techniques.

Wasn't it Failing Grayling who suggested prisoners not be allowed books? That man is so stupid he'd weld the safety valve on a pressure cooker.
    should be more like a military prison. Re-offending rate/returning to jail (as you say) is pretty much at 0%

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
    The probation service is privatised. A vast loss-making, target-missing, care-avoiding private enterprise.
    Itís been like that for years & years, was like it before privatisation.

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    should be more like a military prison. Re-offending rate/returning to jail (as you say) is pretty much at 0%
    The problem is people are hardened criminals by the time they get to prison. Theyíve been given such soft sentences previously that theyíre past the stage they can be helped. I bet reoffending rates wouldnít be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

Given the appallingly low rate of crime prosecutions, re-offenders can reasonably assume they'll get away with whichever is their misdemeanor of choice. The risk of being put back in the jug wouldn't register.

Default Privatised prisons

The problem is people are hardened criminals by the time they get to prison. Theyíve been given such soft sentences previously that theyíre past the stage they can be helped. I bet reoffending rates wouldnít be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

I know people who have done time in both military prison and civilian jail.

Both for pretty lame stuff in the grand scheme of things... the person who came out of the civvy lock up said it was alright and a bit of a laugh at times. Those who I know who have been to Colchester have said it was horrendous and they never want to go back...

The problem is people are hardened criminals by the time they get to prison. They’ve been given such soft sentences previously that they’re past the stage they can be helped. I bet reoffending rates wouldn’t be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.

Been done in the 1970s LD, and didn’t work then. In principle I agree sentences for those prisoners who pose a clear risk to the public and will be hardest to reform should be a lot longer but are people happy to pay the extra tax to cover it? Costs over £40k a year on average to keep someone behind bars, a lot of money. Government guidelines on sentencing, both Tory and Labour, have been discouraging JPs and to a lesser extent judges from putting people away in guidelines due to the cost and that I am ITK on.

I bet reoffending rates wouldn’t be so high if after the first time you were caught, the short sharp shock of a prison sentence awaited you.
    Already been tried by Thatcher. Detention centres with mindless military-style discipline mainly for juveniles and young adults, 90% of which were in there for nicking something.

One inmate said: “I can’t say whether I’ll go out and pinch again or not, but I can tell you that drilling hasn’t made any difference. It makes me better, I think. I enjoy it, it passes the time more quickly and it makes us fit. Next time, we’ll just run faster from the coppers won’t we?”

Some of these centres are now being investigated as part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.

Never understood the point in just locking up petty criminals.
    Make them do something useful, like picking all the fruit & veg that our Eastern European brethren did previously.
    No picky, no eaty.

Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    Already been tried by Thatcher. Detention centres with mindless military-style discipline mainly for juveniles and young adults, 90% of which were in there for nicking something.

One inmate said: ďI canít say whether Iíll go out and pinch again or not, but I can tell you that drilling hasnít made any difference. It makes me better, I think. I enjoy it, it passes the time more quickly and it makes us fit. Next time, weíll just run faster from the coppers wonít we?Ē

Some of these centres are now being investigated as part of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
    He will never embrace anything progressive as all about pride and ego. Probably thinks the death penalty and internment works. No clue that if you donít respect people it gets worse as all about being tough never mind the evidence that this is rarely effective,
    Likes of him donít like paying taxes for a better society either as all about them rather than any concern for helping others.