Nathan Redmond

Dusic

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a possible ankle/achilles injury tonight. Not good at all.

First name on the teamsheet and a massive factor in our attacking play.

Hoping for good news...would be a massive blow if he is out for a decent while.

It didn’t look great from where I was sat. He was clearly in a lot of pain and was clutching his ankle. It didn’t appear to be an impact injury as there was no one near him. Fingers crossed it’s not as bad as it looked at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There would be swelling though with something like an ACL, no swelling according to Ralph. I ruptured my Achilles a few years back, no swelling, walked off the pitch but the damage was done. Fingers crossed it’s just a sprain.

Torn Achilles are nasty (again can occur through noncontact). If you’re a professional sportsman, they’re probably harder to make a full recovery from than doing your ACL. But hopefully the lack of initial swelling is a positive sign.

It's a loss, but would have been a bigger lost last year, we have Djenepo and Boufal pushing for a start, its probably the area we have the best strength in depth.
Better options yes, but Redmond is by a mile our best attackig player, plays 90mins every week and can play wide or central.

Hopefully the Intl break comes at a good time but if he is out for more than a month or so, it will almost certainly impact our league position.

It definitely looked ankle rather than knee. May have turned it, in which case it's a sprain - 1-3 weeks, rather than ligament tear 6+ weeks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was thinking that, nasty sprain, but hopefully back playing in a month or so. Fingers crossed he's back for the Sheff Utd game, however unlikely.

Well it was bound to happen eventually.

We got very lucky last season that he didn't miss a single game through injury - which is very rare for a player in his position especially who relies on bursts of pace and is most likely to get fouled.

I say lucky because we had no depth in that position last season, and would have had to play JWP, Armstrong or Sims in his place - none of which would have been able to offer anything like his attacking threat.

At least this season we have other options, with Djenepo and a seemingly rejuvenated Boufal able to play that role.

Hopefully this will all be a moot point and Redders won't be out too long though.

Well it was bound to happen eventually.

We got very lucky last season that he didn't miss a single game through injury - which is very rare for a player in his position especially who relies on bursts of pace and is most likely to get fouled.

I say lucky because we had no depth in that position last season, and would have had to play JWP, Armstrong or Sims in his place - none of which would have been able to offer anything like his attacking threat.

At least this season we have other options, with Djenepo and a seemingly rejuvenated Boufal able to play that role.

Hopefully this will all be a moot point and Redders won't be out too long though.

I think you're pretty spot on. Injuries are to be expected, at least over 2 or 3 seasons! So it was bound to happen. And as you say, LW we have Djenepo and Boufal.

No that’s scuffer Adams
How we needed a few quick mis-hit scuffs! Our shots were too considered and cleanly hit. The keeper had time to anticipate and set himself fir the saves. Except for Long's, which of course just missed.

Edited by Shroppie
Swear filter!

May be grasping at straws here but the Mail claims Hasenhuttl is unsure whether Redmond will play united on Saturday. You'd think if it was a serious injury he would be definitely ruled out for the weekend.
He said that straight after the game. Presumably he will update tomorrow but I would think best case scenario is he will be back for the Sheff Utd game.

Whilst I don’t want redmond hurt.. it’s kinda exciting times to see what boufal and djenepo can do with starts now both have higher ceilings then redders anyway.. I wouldn’t worry too much

Yes it would be if Djenepo was not injured as well

In that case just play Boufal behind two strikers, or just off one if we're going more defensive. It's time to commit to playing Boufal regularly and letting him run the attack.
I'd like to think that would work but I think he's still too much of a free spirit to be the lynchpin of the attack. If he has the ball, he can make things happen, or lose it, but patience and finding a killer ball are not his strong suits.

Think we need Armstrong and/or JWP to be pulling the strings.

I'd like to think that would work but I think he's still too much of a free spirit to be the lynchpin of the attack. If he has the ball, he can make things happen, or lose it, but patience and finding a killer ball are not his strong suits.

At the moment JWP is struggling to pull the strings on his boots.

At the moment JWP is struggling to pull the strings on his boots.

Behave. JWP is disliked by fans who want cruyff turns, hard tackles or running around like a headless chicken. He's a decent footballer who's played well this season.

It’s not like redmond ever is greedy makes bad decisions or loses the ball when trying to beat a man, kinda crazy the way he escapes any criticism these days when making these mistakes but boufals are highlighted.

Still think one massive difference is boufal can beat players much easier whilst redmond looks best when picking up the ball in pockets of space which doesn’t really involve beating a man so much

It’s not like redmond ever is greedy makes bad decisions or loses the ball when trying to beat a man, kinda crazy the way he escapes any criticism these days when making these mistakes but boufals are highlighted.

Still think one massive difference is boufal can beat players much easier whilst redmond looks best when picking up the ball in pockets of space which doesn’t really involve beating a man so much

Find pockets of space is a skill - it requires movement and awareness.

Find pockets of space is a skill - it requires movement and awareness.

Probably also due to the hasenhuttl style, now we play on the counter when we win the ball he has space to run into .. last time Wheb bouf and redmond played under Pellegrino it was slow attack all opposition defence back made this harder to do.. can’t see why boufal couldn’t be great at the same

• 2 months later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond