Nathan Redmond

Dusic

What on Earth are you waffling on about. Who said anything about Pep. How the **** would anyone know what he thinks of our players, it’s not his job to pick one over the other.

Did you watch the whole 90 mins on Saturday, because I’m surprised anyone would claim Redmond was the worst player on the pitch. Did you shut your eyes when Wes, Cedric or Rom went anywhere near the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes was at both games, but just to save any more arguments, Redmond was the best player at Everton, he created all the chances we failed to score and never gave away possession or misplaced a pass, all the time while this was going on, JWP did the opposite.

Redmond was not here when Koeman was manager, so he cant be meaning Koeman surely? I cant remember once when Koeman put Redmond out above Mane and Tadic like ever...………………….

Are you a parody account?

First Pep, now Koeman, who will it be next, Cruyff?

He never picked Redmond over Mane or Tadic either.

how many chances you think JWP would have created against Burnley had he played? I reckon more than Redmond, I think Tadic would have torn Burnley a new back end too but ofc he is not here any more.

Here we go with the 'I miss Tadic' comments. Hugely inconsistent player, and didn't contribute with chances in our draw and loss with Burnley last season, so what made you think he'd have 'torn Burnley a new back end'. Ridiculous.

Redmond offers a threat and direct running. Tadic offered creativity. JWP offers delivery of a cross and dead balls.

These are all different attributes and cannot really be compared because their best features were so different, but I'm not gonna sit here and act like Tadic was this god of a player who would immediately walk through any organised team with a solid defensive block like Burnely because in the last few seasons, he hasn't.

Shows how poor we are when Redmond is the best player we have.

Ridiculous comment, players can improve, players form will fluctuate along with their confidence.

Redmond has the potential to be a top premier league player, I hope he's given the chance and encouragement to achieve that under Hughes.

Are you a parody account?

First Pep, now Koeman, who will it be next, Cruyff?

He never picked Redmond over Mane or Tadic either.

I was replying to Greenridge who said you was referring to Koeman, I just sated that Koeman was not even manager of Saints when we brought Redmond, unless you think he was too? :blush: whooopssssss….... please go read post #46

As you said, Redmond much better player than JWP cause his assists and goals and his losing possession and his 100 % passing accuracy and his tackling and his interceptions and his general attacking intelligence is just miles ahead of any body in the league that even Sky sports and every one could not see how he was so great at a 10 / 10 rating against Everton they are all so blind his highest rating any where in the world he got was a 5.6. but ok, your right, Redmond 10 % must start every game cause he is miles ahead of every thing we have even though every one but Redmond has at least created more than 2 chances in 30 mins + of time on the field.

An attacking inside forward who cant create chances and cant score goals and cant cross and cant pass and has 0 vision. Yep, must be Redmond.

He's going to turn 25 before the end of this season. This is Redmond's absolute prime - he might improve his game by a couple of percent here and there, but this is to all intents and purposes as good as he's ever going to get.

The fact that we don't have many other options in the squad aside from him shouldn't distract from the fact that he's a huge downgrade in attacking productivity compared to Lallana, Mane and now Tadic.

yes was at both games, but just to save any more arguments, Redmond was the best player at Everton, he created all the chances we failed to score and never gave away possession or misplaced a pass, all the time while this was going on, JWP did the opposite.

Someone must have been dropping vodka shots into your pre match pints!!!

Classic Saints fans getting all excited about a player that runs about a bit.

He has no end product.

look back at your post history. All negative, slagging players and the club. Best you go and support a top 4 team where you can lap up world stars. No doubt you'd mock them as well.

I was replying to Greenridge who said you was referring to Koeman, I just sated that Koeman was not even manager of Saints when we brought Redmond, unless you think he was too? :blush: whooopssssss….... please go read post #46

As you said, Redmond much better player than JWP cause his assists and goals and his losing possession and his 100 % passing accuracy and his tackling and his interceptions and his general attacking intelligence is just miles ahead of any body in the league that even Sky sports and every one could not see how he was so great at a 10 / 10 rating against Everton they are all so blind his highest rating any where in the world he got was a 5.6. but ok, your right, Redmond 10 % must start every game cause he is miles ahead of every thing we have even though every one but Redmond has at least created more than 2 chances in 30 mins + of time on the field.

An attacking inside forward who cant create chances and cant score goals and cant cross and cant pass and has 0 vision. Yep, must be Redmond.

WTF are you on about. Have you been drinking or is English not your first language.

He's going to be 25 before the season ends. He's not going to improve much from this point on - 25 isn't young in modern football.

I disagree. Some players peak young, but there’s a clear trend for players to peak later and play longer.

Raheem Stirling had all the weaknesses Redmond had until the last 18 months or so. Now he’s first choice in a team that won the league. Redmond and Stirling were both born in 1994.

Adam Lallana didn’t peak until his mid-20s (despite seeing 3 players younger than him peak in their teens and get big money moves - Walcott, Bale and the Ox).

Redmond drives me mad, but he could become a good player if he was coached right.

Raheem Stirling had all the weaknesses Redmond had until the last 18 months or so. Now he’s first choice in a team that won the league. Redmond and Stirling were both born in 1994.

Seriously? Sterling was already a more dangerous player than Redmond will ever be when he was still a teenager. They may or may not have similar deficiencies in decision making and finishing, but one of them has world class pace and the other doesn't.

Seriously? Sterling was already a more dangerous player than Redmond will ever be when he was still a teenager. They may or may not have similar deficiencies in decision making and finishing, but one of them has world class pace and the other doesn't.

I’m not saying Redmond is as good as Sterling, I’m saying he’s still young enough to learn and improve like Sterling has done.

Sterling was sold for about £20m which was massive fee at that time, so obviously looked a better player

Lots of players improve with age, they get better the more experienced they get. Some players evolve and their game changes, as they rely on their pace and athleticism less. Clearly it’s less likely that a player like Redmond will, as many of his type don’t but to say he’s at his peak now and won’t get better by much is clearly nonsense. Some players make massive leaps in their late 20’s.

He’s clearly looking better this season than last, although it’s really too small a sample to really judge. The thing is, had he been a new signing this summer people would be saying he looks like a promising buy, based solely on those 2 games. Of course they won’t accept he’s done ok because it’s Redmond. Some of our supporters can’t contemplate that they’re wrong about him, so are unwilling to give the guy a break.

My personal view of Redmond is that he's struggled to find a way to progress from his early days as a pro. Basically he's been a near-on first team regular since he was 17, and you don't have to look far to find quotes talking about how good he was when he first played for Brum.

He's still had a more than decent career with plenty of PL football, but

I think it's noticeable how Hughes has tried to build him up in recent times with some of his quotes. The impression I get is that he's taken the fans' stick to heart too. It is a difficult cycle to break but if he can produce more then fans will get behind him I'm sure. Tadic at the end of last season is a great example, he took plenty of stick earlier on but really sorted his form out and was arguably the main reason we stayed up.

Completely different. Lambert always had the talent, he never had the opportunities.

Redmond has had the opportunities he doesn't have the talent.

Exactly - Redmond made his PL debut at 19 and but for relegation his first season, has been in the top division ever since. Why anyone thinks he's going to suddenly develop pace and vision (the two things he manifestly lacks) at this stage is beyond me, since they're pretty much the only two things you can't teach.

Exactly - Redmond made his PL debut at 19 and but for relegation his first season, has been in the top division ever since. Why anyone thinks he's going to suddenly develop pace and vision (the two things he manifestly lacks) at this stage is beyond me, since they're pretty much the only two things you can't teach.

Pace again. Pace pace pace pace pace. He may not be Mane quick, but he's quick enough. And to suggest that no-one develops vision with maturity is manifestly ridiculous.

Lots of players improve with age, they get better the more experienced they get. Some players evolve and their game changes, as they rely on their pace and athleticism less. Clearly it’s less likely that a player like Redmond will, as many of his type don’t but to say he’s at his peak now and won’t get better by much is clearly nonsense. Some players make massive leaps in their late 20’s.

He’s clearly looking better this season than last, although it’s really too small a sample to really judge. The thing is, had he been a new signing this summer people would be saying he looks like a promising buy, based solely on those 2 games. Of course they won’t accept he’s done ok because it’s Redmond. Some of our supporters can’t contemplate that they’re wrong about him, so are unwilling to give the guy a break.

Some people on this forum are more concerned about being proven right than wanting the team and our players to do well. Very bizarre attitude, why people can't accept that he has improved and still will improve is beyond me.

Why anyone thinks he's going to suddenly develop pace and vision (the two things he manifestly lacks) at this stage is beyond me, since they're pretty much the only two things you can't teach.

Whilst you can’t develop pace, not that anybody said you could, but you can absolutely learn vision. What do you think, players like Bally & Le Tiss never got better at seeing things the older & more experienced they were. KDB never had the vision at Chelsea he’s got now, Ryan Giggs started as a flier, developing his vision as his pace went, so you’re talking pony on that front.

I’m not even convinced by your argument about his pace anyway. He seems pretty quick to me, above average I’d have said. He may not be an out and out flier but he’s no slouch either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people on this forum are more concerned about being proven right than wanting the team and our players to do well. Very bizarre attitude, why people can't accept that he has improved and still will improve is beyond me.

and how many mins, games and seasons do you think he should get given to show he can do it?

Pace again. Pace pace pace pace pace. He may not be Mane quick, but he's quick enough. And to suggest that no-one develops vision with maturity is manifestly ridiculous.

Not if you have reached the peak of your mental capacity............with pace to burn ability to run with the ball but when faced with a strapping defender or 2, stop and decide what to do, playing professional football for nye on 8 years and at the highest level l, cruising past such an obsticle should be a natural default setting that requires the need for not a single brain cell to be cooked.

Why do people get excited about Josh Sims, because when the box approaches he doesn’t brake and think, he drives into the box and at defenders, the boy is a mere green nipper. His debut game v Everton, latter stages gets the ball and runs at Ashley Williams an experienced defender, Williams was a rabbit in the headlights, there was no data on this lad running at him. Sims had Williams on toast ball one side of him, player the other and the pair met on the other side of Williams. Redmond time and time again run at the box the oppos player data for defenders says “Redmond.....just stand up and look big, he will stop running at you”, just take the risk Nathan you have the build and pace, worse that can happen is you get clattered and win a free kick or penalty.

Anyone on here who can not relate to that last bit must fall asleep when the ref blows for kick off. Hopefully this extra training will pay off and he has a stormer this season.........just don’t play him on the left, causes too much smoke to come out of his ears!

Redmond isn't that fast, I'd say he was about average for a premier league footballer, but he has a great change of pace. It's one of the reasons that he stands defenders up then bursts past them, he hasn't got the raw pace to take them on in a sprint.

Burst is arguably more important than straight speed.

Redmond isn't that fast, I'd say he was about average for a premier league footballer, but he has a great change of pace. It's one of the reasons that he stands defenders up then bursts past them, he hasn't got the raw pace to take them on in a sprint.

Yes that is a useful distinction. He may or may not be average in terms of top speed as a previous poster claims but he’s certainly above average when it comes to getting past an opposing player, even if he’s no Ronaldo. I’d say he’s the best we have at Saints when it comes to that skill, even if the competition isn’t that stiff!

KDB never had the vision at Chelsea he’s got now, Ryan Giggs started as a flier, developing his vision as his pace went, so you’re talking pony on that front.

And you're basing that on his 3 appearances for Chelsea?

You clueless Wally.

Completely different. Lambert always had the talent, he never had the opportunities.

Redmond has had the opportunities he doesn't have the talent.

Redmond has the talent but he doesn’t have the temperament, at the moment. Gets frustrated very quickly, influenced by the crowd and suffers from confidence issues. One moment summed him up a while back. He did well to beat a player had two or three chances to use the ball the crowd got on his back and he clearly got annoyed and end up smashing the ball ten yards straight at one of the opposition losing possession. There is definitely a good player there but they need to do a lot of work with him around his decision making and mentality.

Whilst you can’t develop pace, not that anybody said you could, but you can absolutely learn vision. What do you think, players like Bally & Le Tiss never got better at seeing things the older & more experienced they were. KDB never had the vision at Chelsea he’s got now, Ryan Giggs started as a flier, developing his vision as his pace went, so you’re talking pony on that front.

I’m not even convinced by your argument about his pace anyway. He seems pretty quick to me, above average I’d have said. He may not be an out and out flier but he’s no slouch either.

Nah. Le Tiss was obviously a special player with incredible passing range and vision from his late teens. KDB went to Wolfsburg and was immediately one of the best players in the German league at 21/22. Giggs clearly could always pick a pass, and came to rely on his inherent skill more as his world class speed went (though let's not kid ourselves, he was a much better player when he was fast).

I've no idea why this is so controversial - once an attacking player is in their early-mid twenties, in the overwhelming majority of cases improvement is incremental rather than profound. Redmond is now 24, and has a mediocre record at this level. In four year's time, his level will be mediocre plus or minus about 5-10%.

As for people saying he bursts past defenders - what have you been watching for the past two years?

Redmond has the talent but he doesn’t have the temperament, at the moment. Gets frustrated very quickly, influenced by the crowd and suffers from confidence issues. One moment summed him up a while back. He did well to beat a player had two or three chances to use the ball the crowd got on his back and he clearly got annoyed and end up smashing the ball ten yards straight at one of the opposition losing possession. There is definitely a good player there but they need to do a lot of work with him around his decision making and mentality.

Agree, imo he’s best when he picks the ball up deeper and runs at players.

For me, he’s been unlucky to have played under to very negative, no risk, keep ball at all cost managers and it’s sucked all the life out of him.

I’ve been very impressed from what I’ve seen this season (comparing to the Redmond of old) and you have to say fair play.

Agree, imo he’s best when he picks the ball up deeper and runs at players.

For me, he’s been unlucky to have played under to very negative, no risk, keep ball at all cost managers and it’s sucked all the life out of him.

I’ve been very impressed from what I’ve seen this season (comparing to the Redmond of old) and you have to say fair play.

[emoji106]

Be great if all these Redmond sympathisers could pop together a YouTube highlights reel of his best bits?

I've obviously missed alot of the majestic stuff that "Henry" has been delivering this past 2 seasons.

If possible keep the video below 30-40 minutes as I do have a short attention span

He was poor last season but then who wasn't? In his first season under Puel he contributed 7 league goals and a 1 in the cup which isn't to shabby imo ( especially given the general low scoring records of our players in recent seasons). Last season dented his confidence a lot I reckon but if Hughes can get up back up to the level Puel did and contributing around 8 goals this season he be a useful part if the squad.

He was poor last season but then who wasn't? In his first season under Puel he contributed 7 league goals and a 1 in the cup which isn't to shabby imo ( especially given the general low scoring records of our players in recent seasons). Last season dented his confidence a lot I reckon but if Hughes can get up back up to the level Puel did and contributing around 8 goals this season he be a useful part if the squad.

8 goals 1 assist In his first season for us in 50 apps, so im guessing around 4.2k mins

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond