Nathan Redmond

Dusic

Not necessarily anything wrong with highlighting his lack of goals and assists, but to single out Armstrong's strike as a stick to beat him with is laughable. Only someone who doesn't grasp the game beyond the realms of their fantasy football team would dispute that Redmond played a significant (at least as significant as Obafemi) role in that goal.

Not necessarily anything wrong with highlighting his lack of goals and assists, but to single out Armstrong's strike as a stick to beat him with is laughable. Only someone who doesn't grasp the game beyond the realms of their fantasy football team would dispute that Redmond played a significant (at least as significant as Obafemi) role in that goal.

Yeah I’m far from being a fan of Redmond but don’t criticise the player on the odd occasion that he does actually contribute something useful.

Brighton away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny enough, we are yet to play away at Brighton in the EPL, in the cup yes, but I did stat the post before in the EPL only, I know that is hard for some to grasp, so ill repeat, 0 assists 0 goals in the EPL.

Funny enough, we are yet to play away at Brighton in the EPL, in the cup yes, but I did stat the post before in the EPL only, I know that is hard for some to grasp, so ill repeat, 0 assists 0 goals in the EPL.

But people don't care whether he happened to touch the ball last before someone else kicked it in the goal - they are watching the games (not just reviewing the assist column afterwards) and are encouraged with his recent performances after more than a season of him being terrible.

If Ward-Prowse came into the team and started playing like Redmond has, people would be giving him credit regardless of the number of assists he'd managed to get in that time. If you want to focus on statistics, perhaps 'Key Passes' is more telling - i.e. the final pass leading to a shot on goal - because it's not really his fault if the next guy misses, is it? Most players (including Redmond normally) get 1 a game. Against Man Utd, Redmond had 3, bettered only by Marcus Rashford. Against Fulham, Redmond had 3, joint best on the pitch alongside Targett.

But people don't care whether he happened to touch the ball last before someone else kicked it in the goal - they are watching the games (not just reviewing the assist column afterwards) and are encouraged with his recent performances after more than a season of him being terrible.

If Ward-Prowse came into the team and started playing like Redmond has, people would be giving him credit regardless of the number of assists he'd managed to get in that time. If you want to focus on statistics, perhaps 'Key Passes' is more telling - i.e. the final pass leading to a shot on goal - because it's not really his fault if the next guy misses, is it? Most players (including Redmond normally) get 1 a game. Against Man Utd, Redmond had 3, bettered only by Marcus Rashford. Against Fulham, Redmond had 3, joint best on the pitch alongside Targett.

Well I am glad you asked...

He's played a rather pathetic 22 key passes (not xGs passes that is, still working on that) in 14 games, has a 50% shots on target ratio (a massive 5), and for all his 'pace' and 'trickery' has a HUGE 53% conversion of dribbles. The guy is bog average. Plain and simple. Oh and of course the two statistics all the sympathisers want to seemingly overlook; 0 goals and 0 assists.

Edited by Greedyfly

JWP has a far better chances per 90 min than Redmond, I have had this discussion before in the JWP topic. Just for the record though, This season JWP has 4.1 per 90 min Redmond 1.2 ( not including Sub apps which is only fair as Redmond has started every game so far while JWP just 2.and Obi 2.0 per 90 min.

If JWP had played in every game so far this season, I reckon he would have at least 1 assist to his name by now, Redmond and JWP are both drawing on 2nd assists at 1 a piece but 1 player has had 14 games to get that 1 while the other has had 2 and just to put some prospective on that for you, Redmond has had 1243 mins JWP 199 mins.

if JWP come into the team and started playing like Redmond with the rest of his own ability's on top of Redmonds ………. only in a fantasy world......

JWP has a far better chances per 90 min than Redmond, I have had this discussion before in the JWP topic. Just for the record though, This season JWP has 4.1 per 90 min Redmond 1.2 ( not including Sub apps which is only fair as Redmond has started every game so far while JWP just 2.and Obi 2.0 per 90 min.

If JWP had played in every game so far this season, I reckon he would have at least 1 assist to his name by now, Redmond and JWP are both drawing on 2nd assists at 1 a piece but 1 player has had 14 games to get that 1 while the other has had 2 and just to put some prospective on that for you, Redmond has had 1243 mins JWP 199 mins.

if JWP come into the team and started playing like Redmond with the rest of his own ability's on top of Redmonds ………. only in a fantasy world......

But I wasn't talking about the last 14 games, I was talking about the last 2, which are the games he has received most credit for. I've never been a huge fan of Redmond tbh, but I'm not going to refuse to acknowledge that he's playing well because it doesn't fit with how I felt about him earlier in the season (or especially last season).

He is good up to the final third where he is appalling! Has no football brain & has the worst decision making ever! If RaHa can get him making the right decisions in the final third he'd be a hell of a player!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

But I wasn't talking about the last 14 games, I was talking about the last 2, which are the games he has received most credit for. I've never been a huge fan of Redmond tbh, but I'm not going to refuse to acknowledge that he's playing well because it doesn't fit with how I felt about him earlier in the season (or especially last season).

Oh right ok fair enough, so lets just use the last 3 games then even though JWP has only appeared once in the last 3 games ( against Spurs )...…. JWP 5 key passes, JWP 90 mins. Redmond 6 key passes, Redmond 270 mins, This is just the stats for 1 game for JWP against spurs today, A far better team than United and Fulham.

So, As you said, if JWP come in and created 3 chances in a game, he would be respected as playing well yeah? as Redmond managed 6 over 2 games and JWP managed 5 in 1 game against a far better team, I guess we can agree that JWP is in fact rather creative and makes a lot of chances for other member's of the team whilst his contribution goes unnoticed by many.

just for giggles Lets add JWP only other 2 starts for the season in the league to bring him level on mins with Redmond on 270 mins, 3 key passes vs City, + 5 key passes v Everton, gives JWP a total of 13 key passes.

now lets not forget Redmond has now played all 15 matches in the league playing every min so far so is 100 % match fit, while JWP is probably not even close to full match fitness yet.

For the season so far, Its Redmond winning on 22 key passes for the season, JWP is rather close behind on 20 key passes. Redmond has had 1333 mins in 15 apps JWP has had 289 mins total 3 starts 3 subs...….. Work it out.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/105172/Show/James-Ward-Prowse

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/86425/Show/Nathan-Redmond

Edited by Mosin
to add links on details of post.

Let's remember that almost every single chance JWP creates is from a set-piece. The guy is legitimately terrible, far too slow and weak for this league. Needs to be sold as soon as possible so we can stop wasting minutes on him due to the obsession that he may eventually become useful in open play.

Let's remember that almost every single chance JWP creates is from a set-piece. The guy is legitimately terrible, far too slow and weak for this league. Needs to be sold as soon as possible so we can stop wasting minutes on him due to the obsession that he may eventually become useful in open play.

You cant use that argument as Redmond has taken majority of all free kicks in advanced positions and corners this season. Ohh 3 of JWP 5 today was in open play, Just saying... Redmond managed a huge 0 only player in midfield with that amount too I might add.

You cant use that argument as Redmond has taken majority of all free kicks in advanced positions and corners this season. Ohh 3 of JWP 5 today was in open play, Just saying... Redmond managed a huge 0 only player in midfield with that amount too I might add.

Neither of those things are even almost true, Redmond has taken one corner in the last 8 matches. If you believe that JWP provides something more than Redmond when the balls in play, then you’re blinded by wanting an academy graduate to succeed.

Oh right ok fair enough, so lets just use the last 3 games then even though JWP has only appeared once in the last 3 games ( against Spurs )...…. JWP 5 key passes, JWP 90 mins. Redmond 6 key passes, Redmond 270 mins, This is just the stats for 1 game for JWP against spurs today, A far better team than United and Fulham.

So, As you said, if JWP come in and created 3 chances in a game, he would be respected as playing well yeah? as Redmond managed 6 over 2 games and JWP managed 5 in 1 game against a far better team, I guess we can agree that JWP is in fact rather creative and makes a lot of chances for other member's of the team whilst his contribution goes unnoticed by many.

just for giggles Lets add JWP only other 2 starts for the season in the league to bring him level on mins with Redmond on 270 mins, 3 key passes vs City, + 5 key passes v Everton, gives JWP a total of 13 key passes.

now lets not forget Redmond has now played all 15 matches in the league playing every min so far so is 100 % match fit, while JWP is probably not even close to full match fitness yet.

For the season so far, Its Redmond winning on 22 key passes for the season, JWP is rather close behind on 20 key passes. Redmond has had 1333 mins in 15 apps JWP has had 289 mins total 3 starts 3 subs...….. Work it out.

How about adding, missing complete open goal 3 yards out to that.

To be honest I think both players might be involved under Ralph, I don't think they are competing for the same position.

Redmond is pretty much are only attacking player with pace that can also do stuff with the ball, he just needs to find more product in the final third.

But I think JWP would have impressed after last nights game and IIRC from what I read Ralph values good set pieces as he thinks they can make a difference in close games, he commented about how many set piece goals there were in World Cup. JWP + Vestergaard should be a source of goals for us IMO. He will have also impressed with his work rate and stamina.

Whoscored had JWP and Davis as basically our best two players.

I'd love to know what your motivation is for posting these drivel stats. It's obvious you rate JWP mightily - anyone who has watched Saints games this season and last can see that Redmond is a much more effective attacking player.

Redmond is a much more effective attacking player.

That is factually incorrect, you are not an effective attacking player if you don't score, assist or create chances.

People can waffle on about how Redmond looks all they like, the cold hard facts are that he has played almost every game this season and he ZERO goals and assists.

Whatever people think about JWP is pretty much irrelevant, they are conning themselves about Redmond.

Cedric has a goal and 2 assists this year, our under performing right back has been a far more effective attacking player than Redmond. Obefami has just 91 minutes of game time has least managed an assist FFS.

Basically the stats show how flawed people's opinions are.

JWP played a great first time pass round the defence for Gabbi last night in the first half, probably our clearest opportunity created from open play? thought he had a good game personally, and we should’ve scored twice from his deliveries.

That is factually incorrect, you are not an effective attacking player if you don't score, assist or create chances.

People can waffle on about how Redmond looks all they like, the cold hard facts are that he has played almost every game this season and he ZERO goals and assists.

Whatever people think about JWP is pretty much irrelevant, they are conning themselves about Redmond.

Cedric has a goal and 2 assists this year, our under performing right back has been a far more effective attacking player than Redmond. Obefami has just 91 minutes of game time has least managed an assist FFS.

Assists are a terrible stat because it relies on another player. A player can do all the hard work to set the chance up but if the guy trying to score can't finish ( not exactly an uncommon occurrence in our team) it counts for nothing. Chances created is probably a much better stat to basis things on.

Obefami's assist for example only came out of Redmond's hard work and dribbling skills.

His shooting is poor though he should be scoring more.

This is why stats don’t work or paint the full picture..

Let’s take Armstrong’s goal against United, for example. Good skill and feet from Redmond who took out 3/4 United players and then laid the ball off to Obefami who got the assist for playing in Armstrong.. the reality is, Redmond done all the hard work there, but doesn’t get credited for an assist or ‘key pass’.

Whilst I’m not Redmonds greatest fan, it’s clear from watching he’s our most effective player at the moment. He might not get key passes or assists, but he creates space for others, such as Armstrong and our CF as he pulls 1 or 2 odefenders out of the game.

Credit where it’s due, Redmond has been very good this season, more effective than JWP has ever been, IMO

Jeez is Mosin still bigging up the one trick pony JWP??

In open play JWP offers nothing! No killer pass, no killer cross .... just a standard 10 yd back pass or 10 yd cross field ball!

You say that, but he did play one delightful through-ball to Gabbi last night, who unfortunately made a total hash of controlling it.

But aside from that, JWP's overall contribution was poor. He's just too lightweight. Watching him and Targett marking Kane and Dier at set pieces was literally like watching men vs boys.

I truly hope that JWP improves under the new maanger. He obviously has talent, but needs to learn how to make decisive passes rather than safe backwards and sideways ones. A very positive manager may well get him playing, and he is still youngish

JWP 20 key passes, 1 2nd assist 300 mins played 17 corners taken. Redmond 22 key passes 1 2nd assist, created 0 chances from 10 corners 1333 mins played.

And Redmond is more creative :mcinnes:

Numptys.

I have to ask, but dont take iss wrong but is JWP emotionally involved with you? Ifso can you please tell us how many assists you and him have together

I have to ask, but dont take iss wrong but is JWP emotionally involved with you? Ifso can you please tell us how many assists you and him have together

No, but can you please refrain from posting homophobic comments. I find them offensive and its against forums rules. please follow this link so you may familiarise your self with the rules.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/announcement.php?f=5&a=1

I truly hope that JWP improves under the new maanger. He obviously has talent, but needs to learn how to make decisive passes rather than safe backwards and sideways ones. A very positive manager may well get him playing, and he is still youngish

Considering JWP has the highest forward pass % in the team and had last season, and the season before, shows me you have 0 idea what the hell you are going on about, please take your self to whoscored or to http://www.squawka.com/en/news/ which will happily confirm this. Running with the ball and then doing nothing is the biggest SKILL Redmond has, Remind what Long is good at?

Nathan is a dribbler, James is a passer - well done, really had no idea that was the case.

This is why stats don’t work or paint the full picture..

Let’s take Armstrong’s goal against United, for example. Good skill and feet from Redmond who took out 3/4 United players and then laid the ball off to Obefami who got the assist for playing in Armstrong.. the reality is, Redmond done all the hard work there, but doesn’t get credited for an assist or ‘key pass’.

Whilst I’m not Redmonds greatest fan, it’s clear from watching he’s our most effective player at the moment. He might not get key passes or assists, but he creates space for others, such as Armstrong and our CF as he pulls 1 or 2 odefenders out of the game.

Credit where it’s due, Redmond has been very good this season, more effective than JWP has ever been, IMO

Actually your comment shows how opinions are so subjective and don't paint a clear picture at all, whereas stats do paint a better picture IMO.

Took out 3/4 players? Not really, he showed some good feet to go inside one but then got a bit of luck as Fellaini actually got a foot on the ball but it bounced straight back into Redmond's path. Then he basically kept going sideways

Look at the positions when Redmond pokes the ball through to Obafemi -

MxA6our.png

Obafemi is facing away from goal with two players on his back, Cedric has run offside and is covered by Young, Matic is basically covering the left back position.

What exactly has Redmond's run created there? Not much, Man Utd have 4 players goal side against our 2 and he's given the ball to our player with his back to the goal and 2 Utd players on his back very close to him.

What actually creates the goal is -

1. Obafemi's first touch that wrong foots the two guys on his back,

2. His good feet that takes him away from Fellaini,

3. Then his good though ball

4. Matic being sucked in, when he was in a perfectly good position to pick up Armstrong

5. Armstrong's run.

6. Poor defending from Man Utd, there are actually a catalogue of errors there, both centre backs get suck to Obafemi, Herrera doesn't get back goal side and dives in earlier on, Pogba is jogging back, the left wing back is completely missing from the picture and Matic also gets sucked in paying no attention to Armstrong.

Not a huge amount to do with Redmond at all. His main contribution was probably drawing I think either Herrara or the left back into a lunge that left him out of position, but even then Matic was covering and Utd had 4 players in good positions to stop the goal.

Where is the space he created? He dragged a couple of players with him but even then Fellaini managed to get back in to try and make another tackle on Obafemi, when Obafemi plays the ball through he has about 6 Utd players in very close proximity, it's his quick control, turn and pass that creates the goal.

Obafemi is the one with the assist.

Pretty much what Redmond did was what he always does, cuts inside, runs out of ideas and plays a fairly simply pass to one of his teammates.

Even if he is playing better, making some good runs etc. he very clearly needs to do a lot lot more.

Edited by tajjuk

Redmond does create chances. We miss a lot of them, including him. But he drags defence all over the place, beats a man and creates space for others.

Agreed he needs to get back scoring or be out the team but he does offer something, and we need his pace.

We have Armstrong supporting and he'll score a few, we just need someone else with Redmond and Ings in attack who can score regularly and has pace. Not easy to find.

Agree we need his pace, but this is a bit like Sterling at the World Cup, most people recognised his work rate and his runs, but he was still not contributing goals and assists, and when he got into good positions he did not produce a final ball or finish, you can't have an attacker that just doesn't score or create very much, it becomes rather pointless if he creates space or gets into good positions but then does very little with it. It becomes especially more problematic when your other forwards are hardly prolific either. Sterling had Kane, Ali and Lingaard to pick up the slack, plus England were very threatening from set pieces.

I mean to be honest we don't really have anyone else, JWP IMO is not an option there which is why I find this debate a little odd, they are completely different players, and IMO both can have a role to play, both need to contribute more and both need to kick on in their careers.

I just find it odd people are so harsh on JWP and give Redmond such a free pass when he has not produced anything really for 18 months. I also consistently see the argument that Redmond must be good because he keeps getting picked, but then so does Hoedt and he is hated on here by often similar people.

We'll just have to see how the new manager uses them or if they use them, and also whether he can get more out of these two young players who have not fulfilled their potential.

No, but can you please refrain from posting homophobic comments. I find them offensive and its against forums rules. please follow this link so you may familiarise your self with the rules.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/announcement.php?f=5&a=1

Why is that Homophobic? I had thought you were a girl. You give many posts with the gushing worship of a young girl of about 16-18.So dont jump to your own assumptions

Why is that Homophobic? I had thought you were a girl. You give many posts with the gushing worship of a young girl of about 16-18.So dont jump to your own assumptions

Now now Nick that's just being sexist boys can do gushing worship as well.

In fact when I was around 16-18 I used to do a lot of gushing worship mostly over the pages of Razzle magazine...

Do we all know that effective wing play is more about dribbling and drawing multiple players from their positions?

Some do. Which is when his dribbling and wing play stats are also **** you have to probably conclude that really, he's a bit ****.

Some do. Which is when his dribbling and wing play stats are also **** you have to probably conclude that really, he's a bit ****.

How can you produce stats for dragging players out of position? Utter mess.

I’m willing to bet JWP will play less under another new manager.

Interesting debate. I am not into stats. Rightly or wrongly I judge a player on what I see and trust my judgement. The word `effective' is obviously critical to the argument. Ultimately we need forward players to create chances and score goals, so if they are not doing that, then they are not `effective'. There are counter's to this argument. If someone creates chances and his teammate does not take them, does that not undermine his ability to produce a registered `assist'? Obviously quality (weight) of pass is important, so part of getting no assists might be his own doing. I know their are goal and assists stats, but I am not sure I've seen chances created stats. If they exist, how is Redmond fairing there?

Like most, I've been critical of Redmond at times. His lack of direct running and attempts to take a man on have left me frustrated, as has coming back onto his favoured right foot (I still don't understand why he is ever played on the left). This season I've seen a change. He looks extremely confident and has beaten so many opponents its not true. It happens so often you almost don't acknowledge them. I guess you are thinking "so what, if there are no assists or goals, what's the point?" and my reply would be that it keeps possession, helps release pressure on the defence, enables us to manoeuvre the ball int the final third without the need to just lump it in a hit and hope fashion. He is a great outlet. Our only outlet. He's become our only flair player. He might not be the best out there, but he's the best we have got. You might regard that as a sorry state of affairs, and you might be right, but for me he's been the only bright spark in games.

What hasn't changed is his final ball. It's a bit like Rahim Sterling's shooting in the past - lots of scuffs, under hit, lacking in conviction and full of muddled thinking. A lot of that is because he is often on the left and he has no left foot. At other times there is no one there or they are marked. He tries to thread the eye of the needle too much too. Far far too many crosses never get where they need to. The upside to this is he is getting in dangerous areas, he's thinking about the delivery (perhaps overthinking) and we at least have a player willing to dribble with the ball.

I've seen improvement. There needs to be a lot more, but our failings aren't down to him, which is not something I would have said last season.

Edited by Chez

I just find it odd people are so harsh on JWP and give Redmond such a free pass when he has not produced anything really for 18 months.

some point out the failings of both. Don't think Redmond has had a free pass. Fans have slated him on here and booed him at games. Not sure JWP has received that kind of hostility.

Redmond shows that pace isn't everything and JWP shows that you are nothing if you cant get round the pitch quickly. Combine the two and you have a player.

New manager wants players with pace. So JWP won’t be playing then. Redmond will shine. [emoji41]

More mess.

Redmond doesn't actually have any pace. He's actually not that rapid. He also doesn't drag players out of position because they know he'll run down a blind alley. The only reason he's ever gotten a look in is because he's English. If he was foreign he would have been left out in the rain after his dismal performances with Norwich.

Funny how Boufal was never afforded this kind of patience or loyalty.

Also this isn't advocating the inclusion of JWP either, who's also average.

To be fair both are average prem players and we are a below average team so we're getting exactly what we deserve but lets not actually pretend either are any good, we've been doing that for years and with little to show for it.

some point out the failings of both. Don't think Redmond has had a free pass. Fans have slated him on here and booed him at games. Not sure JWP has received that kind of hostility.

Redmond shows that pace isn't everything and JWP shows that you are nothing if you cant get round the pitch quickly. Combine the two and you have a player.

This is basically it, yeah. But I have to say Redmond gets more of a free ticket than most and has never produced anything to suggest he's a competent Prem midfielder.

More mess.

Redmond doesn't actually have any pace. He's actually not that rapid. He also doesn't drag players out of position because they know he'll run down a blind alley. The only reason he's ever gotten a look in is because he's English. If he was foreign he would have been left out in the rain after his dismal performances with Norwich.

Funny how Boufal was never afforded this kind of patience or loyalty.

Also this isn't advocating the inclusion of JWP either, who's also average.

To be fair both are average prem players and we are a below average team so we're getting exactly what we deserve but lets not actually pretend either are any good, we've been doing that for years and with little to show for it.

I’m a massive fan of Boufal. But as usual fans don’t like his sort of player.

What I’m saying is, I’d rather have Redmond on the right or left of my midfield than JWP. And sadly I’d rather have Lemina or Hojberg over him, and Armstrong over him.

Simple as this.

I’m a massive fan of Boufal. But as usual fans don’t like his sort of player.

What I’m saying is, I’d rather have Redmond on the right or left of my midfield than JWP. And sadly I’d rather have Lemina or Hojberg over him, and Armstrong over him.

Simple as this.

Lol probably saying the same thing then. TO be honest I'd rather have Boufal than either and then Armstrong. The rest though are just so embarrassingly poor it's not worth arguing about.

Lol probably saying the same thing then. TO be honest I'd rather have Boufal than either and then Armstrong. The rest though are just so embarrassingly poor it's not worth arguing about.

Exactly this. From what I’ve seen of Rabbit Hutches tactics I can see Boufal coming back.

McCarthy

Cedric whoever whoever Bertrand

Hoj Lemina Armstrong

Boufal Redmond

Ings

That can be 4-3-3, 4-2-2-2

Exactly this. From what I’ve seen of Rabbit Hutches tactics I can see Boufal coming back.

McCarthy

Cedric whoever whoever Bertrand

Hoj Lemina Armstrong

Boufal Redmond

Ings

That can be 4-3-3, 4-2-2-2

Not enough protection of the defence there. I'd like to see romeu back and in form.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond