Nathan Redmond

Dusic

Worked hard to get fit before pre season (others could take note) and has looked good so far this season, playing a bit more direct.

The only player we have capable of beating a man and I think he has a good shot on him as well and could score goals when confidence is high.

A must pick for me. Agree?

Fans should get behind him because he is a massively key player for us.

He has always had talent, just had it knocked out of him - particularly last year. If Hughes can give him the confidence (and he's been talking him up), then that potential can be a very potent weapon for us.

The new Henry :lol:

**** me, give it a rest.

Why is it that during every single Redmond thread somebody thinks it’s funny to bring this up. It’s ****ing tiresome.

Fair play to the guy, he’s looked pretty decent in both games so far this season. Hasn’t stopped a few supporters still moaning about him, but I’m sure the vast majority will respect the fact he’s knuckling down and working at his game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's had more chances than most and no doubt he'll continue to frustrate saints fans.

He's a constant moaner and his passing and decision making is sometimes very poor.

In the Premier league he averages a goal ever 10 games and an assist every 15 games, that's pretty poor especially when you consider his more forward role in recent years.

When he gets the ball I never expect much good to come from it. On that respect he's very consistent

Hope he can improve but expecting more of the same.

Read somewhere that he went away and trained alone all summer before heading to Saints training. Good attitude that, wish a few others had followed suit.

I don`t get why he cops so much abuse on here. I guess some people need a whipping boy. This year it seems to be Hoedt who is nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out.

I think he (Redmond) will be one of our better players this year.

Read somewhere that he went away and trained alone all summer before heading to Saints training. Good attitude that, wish a few others had followed suit.

I don`t get why he cops so much abuse on here. I guess some people need a whipping boy. This year it seems to be Hoedt who is nowhere near as bad as some on here are making out.

I think he (Redmond) will be one of our better players this year.

I very much agree with your first and last paragraphs and the first two of your middle. I was frustrated with Nathan’s moaning on the lurch and blaming others but he’s worked on that and has put in a shift in both games which not everyone can say. Finally taking players on which is good to watch for a fan who grew up in the era of Danny Wallace.

You are totally wrong on Hoedt though. Have you seen him play live? I thought Jakobson’s place in our worst ever XI was never in doubt but this guy deserves it more for his sustained commitment to ****tiness and it appears from the other thread a rank attitude too. Hope he goes before August Europe window closes. If he plays v Leicester and has another shocker, the crowd will turn.

I very much agree with your first and last paragraphs and the first two of your middle. I was frustrated with Nathan’s moaning on the lurch and blaming others but he’s worked on that and has put in a shift in both games which not everyone can say. Finally taking players on which is good to watch for a fan who grew up in the era of Danny Wallace.

You are totally wrong on Hoedt though. Have you seen him play live? I thought Jakobson’s place in our worst ever XI was never in doubt but this guy deserves it more for his sustained commitment to ****tiness and it appears from the other thread a rank attitude too. Hope he goes before August Europe window closes. If he plays v Leicester and has another shocker, the crowd will turn.

I’m genuinely confused about people rating Hoedt. I take it these people have never kicked a ball before.

I’m genuinely confused about people rating Hoedt. I take it these people have never kicked a ball before.

I didn`t say in my post that I rated Hoedt. Just that he isn`t as bad as some are making out. Yes, he`s been poor and deserves to sit out the team.

That Mark Hughes who picks him every game, WTF does he know ? He hasn’t kicked a ball, unlike that great player Crabby. He’s only played for 3 of the worlds biggest teams, whereas Crabby has played for the Dog & Duck , and also writes posts on a football forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Mark Hughes who picks him every game, WTF does he know ? He hasn’t kicked a ball, unlike that great player Crabby. He’s only played for 3 of the worlds biggest teams, whereas Crabby has played for the Dog & Duck , and also writes posts on a football forum

Are you suggesting that no great managers have ever picked a player that hasn't been that good? A manager's judgement isn't flawless.

Well if you want to use that "logic"... Mark Hughes kicked a ball better than you ever could... and Hoedt has started every Premier League game whilst Hughes has been at the club! ;)

Sure Hoedt has had some horror moments and can make some daft decisions, but there is a decent centre back hidden somewhere in there. His flaws are ones that could still be coached out of him... like what happened to Yoshida where he is now a lot better than when he joined us aged 24 (same age as Hoedt is now).

Edited by Matthew Le God

Are you suggesting that no great managers have ever picked a player that hasn't been that good? A manager's judgement isn't flawless.

No I’m suggesting that posters shouldn’t start questioning whether people have “kicked a ball”, just because they have different opinions on a player. Particularly when the manager picking them is one of the best players of his generation.

I want to like him, but he is to inconsistent for me, don't care if he can play like Henry for half a second, what he does for the other 89 min 59 and a half secs is normally just bad.

Put in a decent performance against Burnley, and was are worst attacking player against Everton the game after and made more mistakes than any other player on the field.

I think Redmond should have gone out on loan and we kept Sims lol

**** me, give it a rest.

Why is it that during every single Redmond thread somebody thinks it’s funny to bring this up. It’s ****ing tiresome.

Fair play to the guy, he’s looked pretty decent in both games so far this season. Hasn’t stopped a few supporters still moaning about him, but I’m sure the vast majority will respect the fact he’s knuckling down and working at his game.

:lol:

What a wally

No I’m suggesting that posters shouldn’t start questioning whether people have “kicked a ball”, just because they have different opinions on a player. Particularly when the manager picking them is one of the best players of his generation.

Even when they think pony like Stephens being better than Maguire?

I wish his brain would work a bit faster. He has looked much better this season, and doesn't constantly break up attacking moves,

by passing back to the halfway line (probably what he was told to told by the previous 2 clowns).

There are still times though when he gets the ball to feet near the box .... and just stops, rather than going for the jugular .... and then does a floaty chip or very casual telegraphed pass which are easily defended.

looks like he has been given licence to roam as well, so we are not stuck with the constant cut inside to his right foot all the time .... but I guess this doesn't help the cover for which ever defender he is supporting!!

I wish his brain would work a bit faster. He has looked much better this season, and doesn't constantly break up attacking moves,

by passing back to the halfway line (probably what he was told to told by the previous 2 clowns).

There are still times though when he gets the ball to feet near the box .... and just stops, rather than going for the jugular .... and then does a floaty chip or very casual telegraphed pass which are easily defended.

looks like he has been given licence to roam as well, so we are not stuck with the constant cut inside to his right foot all the time .... but I guess this doesn't help the cover for which ever defender he is supporting!!

and this is the problem with him, he has the ability but he is to slow for a fast run at defender type player, he can do it, but then his brain is just to slow to think of what he is doing while also looking for team mates, I don't think he will get much better than he already is as I don't see him ever learning any sort of composure / vision and ability to pass the ball or finish the chances he gets ( and this shows as even JWP scored more goals and more assist than him with less time on the field than Redmond).

As every one says how bad JWP is and should be playing in the championship, god knows how bad Redmond is if he cant out perform JWP over a season in which he gets 2x as many mins :D.

Already after Redmond 2 games and JWP 60 mins ( 1 game ) JWP has already created more scoring chances and at least had a shot at goal, against what can be considered a far far far better team than Burnley, and Redmond played this game too but did nothing all game and was the worst player on the pitch...….

Already after Redmond 2 games and JWP 60 mins ( 1 game ) JWP has already created more scoring chances and at least had a shot at goal, against what can be considered a far far far better team than Burnley, and Redmond played this game too but did nothing all game and was the worst player on the pitch...….

This is just complete pony. No way Redmond was the worst player on the pitch Saturday, no way at all. That’s the problem with some of our supporters, they’re blinded by their own prejudices. The bloke has played ok this season, excellent against Burnley & half decent at Everton. Not that people like you will acknowledge it.

This is just complete pony. No way Redmond was the worst player on the pitch Saturday, no way at all. That’s the problem with some of our supporters, they’re blinded by their own prejudices. The bloke has played ok this season, excellent against Burnley & half decent at Everton. Not that people like you will acknowledge it.

Southampton: McCarthy (6), Cedric (5), Stephens (5), Hoedt (5), Bertrand (5), Ward-Prowse (6), Lemina (5), Romeu (5), Redmond (5), Austin (5), Ings (6).

Subs: Long (6), Gabbiadini (5), Armstrong (n/a).

Lets see, Cedric, Stephens, Hoedt, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu, Redmond and Austin all got a 5, JWP Ings and McCarthy was are best 3 players...…… Redmond made more misplace passes than the full Saints team put together, he also lost possession the most. I repeat, against Everton, Redmond was are worst player.

Redmond played this game too but did nothing all game and was the worst player on the pitch...….

This is just complete pony. No way Redmond was the worst player on the pitch Saturday, no way at all. That’s the problem with some of our supporters, they’re blinded by their own prejudices.

Seems like the independent reviewers are also "prejudice"....

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284756/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Everton-Southampton

He was taking risks, trying to take people on, of course at times he was going to give the ball away, but he also got past defenders and opened them up. I'd rather he took risks, he's been playing far too safe, especially in the previous season.

but he created nothing, no chances created the full game against Everton 2 games played 2 chances created both against a poor Burnley side, JWP 60 mins 5 chances created and at least 2 should have been goals had Austin and ings both put the 6 yard out corners by him in the net, he at least had an effort on goal in this time against a much stronger team in Everton in which Redmond did nothing all game but put his own team on the back foot, how many chances you think JWP would have created against Burnley had he played? I reckon more than Redmond, I think Tadic would have torn Burnley a new back end too but ofc he is not here any more.

Redmond, is not as good a JWP stats prove it as over the time Redmond has been here JWP has been the more consistent and more creative player even though he has played far less mins than Redmond, yes Redmond has 3 more goals to his name, but he also has a hell of a lot more mins on the field than JWP.

Well if you want to use that "logic"... Mark Hughes kicked a ball better than you ever could... and Hoedt has started every Premier League game whilst Hughes has been at the club! ;)

Sure Hoedt has had some horror moments and can make some daft decisions, but there is a decent centre back hidden somewhere in there. His flaws are ones that could still be coached out of him... like what happened to Yoshida where he is now a lot better than when he joined us aged 24 (same age as Hoedt is now).

When he said people that rate him are ones who have probably never kicked a ball before he was talking about people like you pal.

but he created nothing, no chances created the full game against Everton 2 games played 2 chances created both against a poor Burnley side, JWP 60 mins 5 chances created and at least 2 should have been goals had Austin and ings both put the 6 yard out corners by him in the net, he at least had an effort on goal in this time against a much stronger team in Everton in which Redmond did nothing all game but put his own team on the back foot, how many chances you think JWP would have created against Burnley had he played? I reckon more than Redmond, I think Tadic would have torn Burnley a new back end too but ofc he is not here any more.

Redmond, is not as good a JWP stats prove it as over the time Redmond has been here JWP has been the more consistent and more creative player even though he has played far less mins than Redmond, yes Redmond has 3 more goals to his name, but he also has a hell of a lot more mins on the field than JWP.

What a pile of pony.

I’d be interested to know if you watched the whole game or are taking your judgements from highlights & others opinions. Because the people stood near me thought he did ok, and having a few bevies in The central in town afterwards so did a couple of Evertonians. If you genuinely think he was worse than Austin, Wes, Cedric, OR & Stephens than you can’t really have been paying too much attention to the game.

Stats prove nothing, but here’s one for you. 3 managers, all of whom played for top European sides, 2 of which played for Barcelona ffs, didn’t agree with your opinion that “Redmond is not as good as JWP”.

Southampton: McCarthy (6), Cedric (5), Stephens (5), Hoedt (5), Bertrand (5), Ward-Prowse (6), Lemina (5), Romeu (5), Redmond (5), Austin (5), Ings (6).

Subs: Long (6), Gabbiadini (5), Armstrong (n/a).

Lets see, Cedric, Stephens, Hoedt, Bertrand, Lemina, Romeu, Redmond and Austin all got a 5, JWP Ings and McCarthy was are best 3 players...…… Redmond made more misplace passes than the full Saints team put together, he also lost possession the most. I repeat, against Everton, Redmond was are worst player.

Just to add to this, whoscored rated JWP against Everton at 7.4, Redmond got a 5.62 and a 6.66 against Burnley.

JWP consistently gets slated for not contributing much, despite him last season doing more than any of our other midfielders in terms of goals/assists/chances created, even better than Tadic if you look at that contribution against minutes played.

Redmond for me just doesn't contribute very much. JWP managed 5 key passes, 1 dribble, 1 shot and lost the ball twice in 84 minutes, whilst Redmond has managed just 1 key pass, 2 shots, 2 dribbles, lost the ball 3 times and also had 2 bad controls in 180 minutes.

And don't get me wrong I think JWP needs to do more to get into that team, but Redmond is way behind him IMO.

Whoscored pretty much sums him up for me -

Nathan Redmond's Style of Play

Likes to cut inside

Likes to do layoffs

That is what he does most of the time, cuts inside and lays the ball off. He is consistent in his failure to offer very much in an attacking sense.

Why is comparing Redmond and JWP even a thing? They are in the team for different reasons and have a totally different role.

Of course a player like Redmond will lose the ball more than JWP, just like Ozil would more than Xhaka, Sanchez more than Fred, Sane more than Fernandinho.

Why is comparing Redmond and JWP even a thing? They are in the team for different reasons and have a totally different role.

Of course a player like Redmond will lose the ball more than JWP, just like Ozil would more than Xhaka, Sanchez more than Fred, Sane more than Fernandinho.

Exactly. I want (and I think Hughes wants, and we all want) Redmond to be taking player on and beating them, and then creating chances. In doing so he is likely to lose the ball more often. If Hughes is doing his job properly the team is set up to understand that, and who bomb's on to take advantage, and who prepares for a turnover.

Coz they often play in the same position, albeit offering very different skills and qualities from that position.

Then it's just a lazy comparison.

Not necessarily pal. If you’re playing one on the flank or wing, as both JWP and Redmond have done, then you’re forced to choose between the two players: are we more likely chances for Austin or Ings if Redmond is running at and getting behind defenses or JWP is whipping crosses from deeper positions or linking up intelligently with the fullback? Both players offer a solution to our wingplay which is -or should be- an important source of chances and goals.

What a pile of pony.

I’d be interested to know if you watched the whole game or are taking your judgements from highlights & others opinions. Because the people stood near me thought he did ok, and having a few bevies in The central in town afterwards so did a couple of Evertonians. If you genuinely think he was worse than Austin, Wes, Cedric, OR & Stephens than you can’t really have been paying too much attention to the game.

Stats prove nothing, but here’s one for you. 3 managers, all of whom played for top European sides, 2 of which played for Barcelona ffs, didn’t agree with your opinion that “Redmond is not as good as JWP”.

you really think Pep thinks Redmond is a good player? you really think he was praising Redmond when he was up in his face shouting and grappling him like some rag doll was cause he was not being a top player? SERIOSULY If pep thought Redmond was so SPECIAL why did Pep not jump to grab him at City? why has no top 6 club looked at him?

JWP considering the mins he gets out performs Redmond really badly at Redmonds JOB while also playing in a none favoured position and gets far less mins than Redmond. Redmond may look better on the ball, but as a player, he is behind JWP and it hurts ppl to admit that JWP is becoming a good player, Last two seasons JWP has been the 2nd most creative player behind Tadic and still PLAYED HALF TADICS MINS AND REDMONDS!!!!!!! ( not including Bertrand even though he is are most creative player but not counting defenders )

Also add what tajjuk said how long you going to argue Redmond is better than JWP when stats and recent performances say other wise?

I don't care how many step overs a player can do or how he goes past players, as I don't count 1 man as a team, I count the players who play more like a team and Redmond falls way short of a team player.

you really think Pep thinks Redmond is a good player? you really think he was praising Redmond when he was up in his face shouting and grappling him like some rag doll was cause he was not being a top player? SERIOSULY If pep thought Redmond was so SPECIAL why did Pep not jump to grab him at City? why has no top 6 club looked at him?

JWP considering the mins he gets out performs Redmond really badly at Redmonds JOB while also playing in a none favoured position and gets far less mins than Redmond. Redmond may look better on the ball, but as a player, he is behind JWP and it hurts ppl to admit that JWP is becoming a good player, Last two seasons JWP has been the 2nd most creative player behind Tadic and still PLAYED HALF TADICS MINS AND REDMONDS!!!!!!! ( not including Bertrand even though he is are most creative player but not counting defenders )

Also add what tajjuk said how long you going to argue Redmond is better than JWP when stats and recent performances say other wise?

I don't care how many step overs a player can do or how he goes past players, as I don't count 1 man as a team, I count the players who play more like a team and Redmond falls way short of a team player.

Erm, I think he was referring to Koeman and Hughes.

They are both midfielders who often play in wide positions, whos jobs are to create chances for our forwards and contribute with some goals of their own.

Just because they have different styles is not relevant when the job they need to do is the same.

Redmond's style may well see him lose the ball more, but it also isseeing him not contribute much in terms of chances. assists or goals either. If JWP is offering more in terms of chances created and goals AND is better at keeping the ball then that is just a further positive in his direction.

And again as I said further up, I think JWP should be contributing more and he needs to nail down a spot in the side, but he's IMO he deserves to be ahead of Redmond at this moment.

What on Earth are you waffling on about. Who said anything about Pep. How the **** would anyone know what he thinks of our players, it’s not his job to pick one over the other.

Did you watch the whole 90 mins on Saturday, because I’m surprised anyone would claim Redmond was the worst player on the pitch. Did you shut your eyes when Wes, Cedric or Rom went anywhere near the ball.

Erm, I think he was referring to Koeman and Hughes.

Redmond was not here when Koeman was manager, so he cant be meaning Koeman surely? I cant remember once when Koeman put Redmond out above Mane and Tadic like ever...…………………. Koeman left Southampton 14 June 2016, Redmond signed On 25 June 2016 and didn't make his debut till 13th August 2016 in a match that he scored his first goal for us under Puel, since then, he has gone on to score 8 goals and 4 assist in the EPL for us in 70 apps.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Redmond