Put our CBs in the order you think they belong.

norwaysaint

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt

Not a great fan of Vestergaard cos of his lack of pace and speed on the turn, but he just about comes in second as he's decent in the air.

Hoedt is a shocking player and if Vestergaard is in the side, either Stephens or Bednarek are better options imo than him.

Why does them not being good enough for a top 6 team mean it doesn't matter what order they should be in at Saints?

Because they're all average and placing them in a hypothetical pecking order is pointless. The manager picks whoever he thinks is best for the job in hand on the day and our opinion makes no difference.

Because they're all average and placing them in a hypothetical pecking order is pointless. The manager picks whoever he thinks is best for the job in hand on the day and our opinion makes no difference.

Weird post. Why have any sort of opinion then since it’s always gonna be the managers choice in the end.

Because they're all average and placing them in a hypothetical pecking order is pointless.

What exactly does that mean? Compared to what? "Average" is a term football fans often use but doesn't really make sense without explanation as it isn't being used in a mathematical sense.

The manager picks whoever he thinks is best for the job in hand on the day and our opinion makes no difference.

Of course not... BUT... isn't the point of football club fan internet forums to discuss things about a club?

What exactly does that mean? Compared to what? "Average" is a term football fans often use but doesn't really make sense without explanation as it isn't being used in a mathematical sense.

Of course not... BUT... isn't the point of football club fan internet forums to discuss things about a club?

That’s a bit rich coming from the one person who jumps on anyone who dares to have an opinion differing yours.

average

ˈav(ə)rɪdʒ/Submit

noun

noun: average; plural noun: averages

a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

"the proportion of over-60s is above the EU average of 19 per cent"

synonyms: mean, median, mode, midpoint, centre; More

an amount, standard, level, or rate regarded as usual or ordinary.

"underground water reserves are below average"

synonyms: normally, usually, ordinarily, generally, generally speaking, in general, for the most part, in most cases, as a rule, typically; More

the apportionment of financial liability resulting from loss of or damage to a ship or its cargo.

reduction in the amount payable under an insurance policy, e.g. in respect of partial loss.

adjective

adjective: average

constituting the result obtained by adding together several amounts and then dividing this total by the number of amounts.

"the average temperature in May was 4°C below normal"

synonyms: mean, median, medial, middle

"the average temperature in May was 4°C below normal"

of the usual or ordinary amount, standard, level, or rate.

"a woman of average height"

synonyms: ordinary, standard, usual, normal, typical, regular, unexceptional

"a woman of average height"

having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person, group, or thing.

"the average lad likes a good night out"

mediocre; not very good.

"a very average director making very average movies"

synonyms: mediocre, second-rate, uninspired, undistinguished, ordinary, commonplace, middle-of-the-road, mainstream, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, unmemorable, indifferent, humdrum, nothing special, everyday, bland, run-of-the-mill, not very good, pedestrian, prosaic, lacklustre, forgettable, amateur, amateurish; More

antonyms: outstanding, exceptional

verb

verb: average; 3rd person present: averages; past tense: averaged; past participle: averaged; gerund or present participle: averaging

amount to or achieve as an average rate or amount over a period of time; mean.

"annual inflation averaged 2.4 per cent"

calculate or estimate the average of.

"the women earned only £35 weekly when their seasonal earnings were averaged out"

result in an even distribution; even out.

"it is reasonable to hope that the results will average out"

result in an average figure of.

"the cost should average out at about £6 per page"

HTH

Vestergaard thus far seems to make a difference as while i'm sure we'll find out he's not perfect either over a longer period of games, he does seem to actually be able to communicate/lead the backline which since fonte/van Dijk haven't appeared good on that front.

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt

That still doesn't answer the question as I asked, "compared to what?" Plus if it is a mean average, being in the middle is not bad.

Compared to the rest of our defenders, which is what this thread is about.

That still doesn't answer the question as I asked, "compared to what?"

Compared to the rest of our defenders, which is what this thread is about.

:rolleyes::mcinnes:

How can they be average compared to themselves? That is nonsensical!

They need to be compared to something else for an average to work.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Vest + Yoshi is clearly going to be the best partnership

Some posters seem to have not really considered that Yoshi has improved a lot since he was first with us. He still has the odd mistake, yes, and can get bullied a bit against bigger strikers, but he is pretty reliable now and one of our most experienced players, plus now at around the peak age for a CB. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet and the captain in my view

Hoedt can be awful at times and Stephens switches off too much and gets dominated in the air. But both are still young and need to be playing alongside someone more experienced

Bednarek showed promise at the end of last season but seems to get done for pace too easily and is young. We need to see more of him at some point

I'm assuming Vestergaard is first for most, but let's see the rest rated 1-4 out of:

Yoshida

Hoedt

Stephens

Bednarek

For me it depends who they are playing with. I rated Stephens more than Yoshida as a partner to Van Dijk, but I wouldn't want Hoedt and Stephens playing together in a million years.

For me assuming number 1 is Vestergaard

Yoshida

Stephens

Bednarek

And I'd never play Hoedt with Vestergaard.

Of our current selection of centrebacks, any pairing that includes Yoshida is better than any pairing without him. He is therefore the first choice CB for me, regardless of his individual ability.

I personally would rate the rest as follows:

1. Yoshi

2. Vest

3. Bedna (really good and totally under appreciated)

4. Hoedt

5. Stephens (versatile enough to be tried elsewhere and still young)

How anyone can rate Hoedt is beyond me, I'm guessing he must be like VVD in training.

Blokes a clown.

Saying "Hoedt is nowhere near as bad as many on here make him out to be."

Is NOT the same as saying "I rate Hoedt" or that "he is as good as van Dijk or Alderweireld etc". There is a significant difference!

I do think if Saints are able to stamp out the mistakes and improve his decision making like they did with Yoshida, then Hoedt does have a lot going for him. However many Saints fans appear to overlook his qualities and write him off on the basis of a few **** ups.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Saying "Hoedt is nowhere near as bad as many on here make him out to be."

Is NOT the same as saying "I rate Hoedt" or that "he is as good as van Dijk or Alderweireld etc". There is a significant difference!

I do think if Saints are able to stamp out the mistakes and improve his decision making like they did with Yoshida, then Hoedt does have a lot going for him. However many Saints fans appear to overlook his qualities and write him off on the basis of a few **** ups.

Has zero qualities. Mess.

This , Hoedt is easily our worse Cb has far too many mistakes and lapses of concentration that cost us goals !

And yet he's played all of both games this season and 30 odd games last season. So what's being said here is that the managers don't know what they're doing right? I blame fantasy football myself, fans become imbibed with their own opinions.

Vestergaard

Hoedt

Yoshida

Stephens

Bednarek

Hoedt is nowhere near as bad as many on here make him out to be.

He's a hell of a lot worse than Yoshida. Yoshida is pace 16. Hoedt is pace 8.

Yoshida is positioning 13. Hoedt is positioning 9.

Yoshida is leadership 16. Hoedt is leadership 4.