Put our CBs in the order you think they belong.

norwaysaint

average

ˈav(ə)rɪdʒ/Submit

noun

noun: average; plural noun: averages

a number expressing the central or typical value in a set of data, in particular the mode, median, or (most commonly) the mean, which is calculated by dividing the sum of the values in the set by their number.

"the proportion of over-60s is above the EU average of 19 per cent"

synonyms: mean, median, mode, midpoint, centre; More

an amount, standard, level, or rate regarded as usual or ordinary.

"underground water reserves are below average"

synonyms: normally, usually, ordinarily, generally, generally speaking, in general, for the most part, in most cases, as a rule, typically; More

the apportionment of financial liability resulting from loss of or damage to a ship or its cargo.

reduction in the amount payable under an insurance policy, e.g. in respect of partial loss.

adjective

adjective: average

constituting the result obtained by adding together several amounts and then dividing this total by the number of amounts.

"the average temperature in May was 4°C below normal"

synonyms: mean, median, medial, middle

"the average temperature in May was 4°C below normal"

of the usual or ordinary amount, standard, level, or rate.

"a woman of average height"

synonyms: ordinary, standard, usual, normal, typical, regular, unexceptional

"a woman of average height"

having qualities that are seen as typical of a particular person, group, or thing.

"the average lad likes a good night out"

mediocre; not very good.

"a very average director making very average movies"

synonyms: mediocre, second-rate, uninspired, undistinguished, ordinary, commonplace, middle-of-the-road, mainstream, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, unmemorable, indifferent, humdrum, nothing special, everyday, bland, run-of-the-mill, not very good, pedestrian, prosaic, lacklustre, forgettable, amateur, amateurish; More

antonyms: outstanding, exceptional

verb

verb: average; 3rd person present: averages; past tense: averaged; past participle: averaged; gerund or present participle: averaging

amount to or achieve as an average rate or amount over a period of time; mean.

"annual inflation averaged 2.4 per cent"

calculate or estimate the average of.

"the women earned only £35 weekly when their seasonal earnings were averaged out"

result in an even distribution; even out.

"it is reasonable to hope that the results will average out"

result in an average figure of.

"the cost should average out at about £6 per page"

HTH

Hello Mr Logic from Viz.

And yet he's played all of both games this season and 30 odd games last season. So what's being said here is that the managers don't know what they're doing right? I blame fantasy football myself, fans become imbibed with their own opinions.
You did see our performances and results last season didn't you?

Vestergaard, obviously

Yoshida

Bednarek

Hoedt

Stephens

Yoshida was immense for Japan during the World Cup, he really has improved a lot since he first joined. I like Bednarek too.

Hoedt has his good moments but he's a liability. Young enough to improve, but not alongside Stephens.

What exactly does that mean? Compared to what? "Average" is a term football fans often use but doesn't really make sense without explanation as it isn't being used in a mathematical sense.

Christ, this reminds me of a Viz character from the 1980's. If Mr Logic did football message boards then this is the sort of offering we'd see.

Christ, this reminds me of a Viz character from the 1980's. If Mr Logic did football message boards then this is the sort of offering we'd see.

Never mind he’s completely wrong. The word has a meaning -i.e. “mediocre; not very good“- that is widely used and understood. Hence why you’ll find that definition (among others) in the dictionary.

Vestergaard, and then Yoshida are ahead of the others in my book.

Bednarek is unproven but having been selected for his national team I think he has potential and a bit more about him than the other remaining CB's.

Difficult selecting between JS & WH. Strangely I think either could progress playing alongside a more experienced CB to lead the back four, but both have costly errors in them. Selection between these two might depend if you want a right or left sided CB.

I think it’s pretty hard to judge our new centre half on the back of one game. Let’s hope he’s as good as some of you think .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, seems a bit premature to be saying he's "clearly" our best centre back... here's hoping it proves to be the case, but at the moment I'd put Yoshida at the top of the list just because at least I know what he has to offer.

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

Chuckle Brothers.

For me sums up our problems, when Yoshida is rated as the best centre back at the club. He has gone from 3rd choice to 1st choice in 2 years, and its not because he's suddenly got better.

Agreed, seems a bit premature to be saying he's "clearly" our best centre back... here's hoping it proves to be the case, but at the moment I'd put Yoshida at the top of the list just because at least I know what he has to offer.

Vardy on Vest would have been instructive. Still Iheanacho should be a test.

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

Chuckle Brothers.

For me sums up our problems, when Yoshida is rated as the best centre back at the club. He has gone from 3rd choice to 1st choice in 2 years, and its not because he's suddenly got better.

Except he has. Your point is still valid that someone of Yoshida's level shouldn't be our best CB, but I think it does him a disservice to assume he is the same player of 2 or 3 years ago.

I think its more people are hoping Vesty is better than what we have. The rest of them have ranged from terrible, to **** poor to passable last season. If our new CB turns out to be worse than the current lot we are in big trouble this season.

Some interesting comments on here but I think we're missing something. It's all well and good rating players individually, but football is a team game and it's how players perform with those alongside them is what's important.

Let me give you all an example from our past. There's a player featured on the banner at the top of this page who at times was seen as hero, and many times as a villain. Claus Lundekvam.

Remember how many mistakes he made when he first joined. He dithered like no defender we've ever seen, or see since. He's the only defender I've ever seen take 3 touches of the ball on our own goal line when trying to control it rather than just clearing it. He was an utter bombscare. Yet when Michael Svensson jioined and actually organised him and told him what to do, they became one of the best CB partnerships we've had in our recent past.

So assuming we're playing a back 4 with Cedric and Bertrand as the full backs, at the moment I would say our best pairing looks like Vestergaard and Yoshida, although I wouldn't mind seeing how Vestergaard would go paired with Bednarek or, dare I say it, Stephens. Hopefully Vestergaard, once he gets fully settled, can become that organiser that we need.

I’d go for one big guy and one quick guy in a back 4:

Big guy choice:

1st Vestergaard

2nd Bednarek

3rd Hoedt

Quick guy choice:

1st Yoshida

2nd Stephens

I wouldn’t write any of them off yet. Everyone seems to accept that Badnarek at 22 is a young talent who will improve. Stephens is 23 and Hoedt is 24 - all still young for defenders.

Some interesting comments on here but I think we're missing something. It's all well and good rating players individually, but football is a team game and it's how players perform with those alongside them is what's important.

Let me give you all an example from our past. There's a player featured on the banner at the top of this page who at times was seen as hero, and many times as a villain. Claus Lundekvam.

Remember how many mistakes he made when he first joined. He dithered like no defender we've ever seen, or see since. He's the only defender I've ever seen take 3 touches of the ball on our own goal line when trying to control it rather than just clearing it. He was an utter bombscare. Yet when Michael Svensson jioined and actually organised him and told him what to do, they became one of the best CB partnerships we've had in our recent past.

So assuming we're playing a back 4 with Cedric and Bertrand as the full backs, at the moment I would say our best pairing looks like Vestergaard and Yoshida, although I wouldn't mind seeing how Vestergaard would go paired with Bednarek or, dare I say it, Stephens. Hopefully Vestergaard, once he gets fully settled, can become that organiser that we need.

Agree. I’d be interested to see Stephens alongside someone like vestergaard partnership might work at some point.

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Hoedt

Bednarek/Stephens

Not sure about Bednarek... I saw him play right back at Fulham in January where he kept Sessegnon quiet, and for Poland in the World Cup with differing results, but he also came in at the tail end of last season and did well. Likewise I've seen Stephens have both good games and not-so-good games. Hard to choose between them. On the few times I've seen Hoedt play he's not been as bad as others have made out, although that's not based on this season so far as I've so far worked every game. However, I think there's to much readiness to knock our own players on this forum when we should be getting behind them, irrespective of their talents. Heck Benali would be vilified if he were playing nowadays.

That said, I certainly feel we'd still have Bednarek, Stephens and Hoedt in the squad had we got relegated last season, which perhaps says a lot about what I think of their standard, however all are fairly young and can improve: I just feel Yoshida and Vestergaard are our obvious first choice pairing.

I'm assuming Vestergaard is first for most, but let's see the rest rated 1-4 out of:

Yoshida

Hoedt

Stephens

Bednarek

I'm assuming that the mantra that we shouldn't judge a player on the strength of one game also applies to Vestergaard's only league game for us against Burnley's powder-puff attack, arguably the weakest attack in the league? The same would apply to the game in which he was awful against his old club in a pre-season friendly. So, it is clearly far too soon to say wheher he is either the best or the worst of our central defenders. Let's hope for the best if he plays against Leicester. We've seen a lot more of Yoshida and Hoedt and on the evidence so far, I'd prefer to see Yoshida in our team. But, Hughes seems to think otherwise so, again, let's wait and see. It would probably be better to revisit this thread in a month or two, when we'll have seen a bit more of our new players.

So the same people getting upset with Hughes being critiqued after 11 games are happy to sign off Big Besty after just one game :lol:

CBs at SFC are a little bit ****..... I couldn't rate them 1-5 as genuinely think they are all equally average/poor (excludes Big V as too early to review.... As always I will give it 10 games minimum)

In Les we trust

The fact that Burnley, even with their style of play barely won a header in our box, yet a week later minus Vestergaard, Everton won about 6 in the 1st 30 minutes, tells me that we need to keep

him fit at all costs!! At least he missed out on getting the mandatory booking just for wearing a Red and White shirt by Mason!!

He also seems to be the leader/organiser figure we need, and I just loved the old school, crazy, nothing will get past me, warrior look with totally dishevelled hair and bloodied face. Chuck him another raw steak!!

Our other organiser (just forgets to organise his own positioning at times though!!) and leader in defence, and who has pace and experience as well, Yoshida, is getting better each week, by not playing and thus not being associated with a poor performance, the latter could be said of Bednerak as well.

I suppose it is dependent on formation played and horses for courses on opposition, which was why it seemed strange Maya didn't get a start against a more pacy and movement team on Saturday.

I would like to see Bertrand earning his Captain's Band and be constantly on their case and shaping up and tracking players better and Cedric to actually do anything at all, to help out the CB's.

What's clear is that three of our defenders, who are regularly in the first team are seen by large proportions of our fanbase to be weak at best and a liability at worst. The only player most people think is definitely good enough has played a total of one match. The only other player seen as a competent choice isn't widely rated as being particularly good, just "good enough".

Our good teams in the past always have always been built around a strong, regular defensive pairing. We'll be a weak team until this is sorted properly, I think.

Clearly watching a different game than most others then.
No, I just wouldn't put him in the 'absolutely pathetic' bracket. He's not the best, I've noted his weaknesses, I don't deny that he has mistakes in him. But unlike some on here I'm not really one to vilify players for being crap. No professional player sets foot on a football pitch with the intention of playing badly, so I'm willing to cut the guy some slack, and give him time to improve.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Top post Sir...completely agree with your point on partnerships etc. IMO, if Vestergard and Yoshi can’t sort it out at CB then no other pairing can...height and experience...that’s crucial, but also being able to anticipate and react quickly is hugely important and unfortunately I don’t see these traits in Hoedt or Stephens. Bednarek is slightly better, but still not of a level on his own to cut it at Prem level.