Saints 1-2 Foxes - Post Match

Saint86

Presumably you've forgotten how well we played before that.

Moderately well. We played moderately well before that. Better than in other games, certainly, but considering how bad we've been for two years, that's not a great recommendation. Fact is we didn't create a lot before the goal, and once Leicester woke up and started pressing us, we had no answers.

Moreover, when Hughes made his first move to change the game before the sending off, he made the wrong decision with his substitutions, as he's done in all three games this season.

I don't get the freaking out - even though we lost. There was a fair bit to like about our performance today, especially down the left with Bertrand and Redmond. Lemina was excellent, and PEH was good until his brain f*rt.

But Cedric is a bigger liability than Hoedt. He gives us very little going forward, which has long been the case, and all we're left with is his defensive 'contribution' - consistently getting done in the air for goals.

Still trying to figure out why Yoshida is so poorly regarded. He's the kind of defender who makes the big guys look better than they really are, and we really need him back there.

It's just the usual nutters like adrian who get a hard on for getting managers sacked. Best to ignore them.

Stupid errors cost us.

Moi took Cedric out for their equaliser, Vestegaard waving his foot at the winner and Hoj deciding to dive instead of just falling over.

We were much the better team before we gifted them a goal.

I don't like Long, but he was OK in the first half , but disappeared after that. Having said that, I would much rather go for a bit of intellegence and have Gabbi and Ings starting.

Can anyone tell me anything that Cedric does even remotely well? I can’t think of a player so regularly at fault for goals we’ve conceded in our history.
Tbf hoedt isn't much better & was very close to an own goal today

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don't think Hughes did anything wrong at all. Not his fault that our esteemed right back can't defend and a player already on a yellow decides to dive.

He took of Ings and put on the immobile Austin which killed all attacking momentum. That was a bad decision.

It's just the usual nutters like adrian who get a hard on for getting managers sacked. Best to ignore them.

Adrian’s convinced the squad quality is on a par with previous successful seasons and it’s only held back by the manager. That view is looking sillier and sillier by the day but he’s too proud to admit it.

Relatively good performance up until they equalised then both fans and players knew what was coming and confidence, effort and application seemed to fall off a cliff edge!

We are so so fragile, I hope it’s a hangover from last season because if it’s not then we are in for a long season.

What’s so frustrating is I thought we were better than Leicester for large periods.

Lemina and Redmond both looked good, we looked better with hoj in midfield more industrious than last week, created some good chances should have put the game to bed then as soon as they scored all the good work was undone and we reverted to being as poor as last season.

The sad thing is, I thought Leicester were terrible on the day - and we still couldn't win.

11 games (2 wins, 9 points) into the reign of the mighty Mark Hughes, he hasn't got a clue of his best team or the right tactical approach for our resources. The omens aren't great.

When you've got no injuries, have spent £50m on the squad in the summer, and three games into the season Shane Long's starting, you know things are looking seriously bleak.

Hojbjerg's blatant dive should be rightfully condemned by the manager (though history suggests he'll blame the officials as usual). A rotten day at the office. Again.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Yoshi for Hoedt next match.

Gabbi and Ings both starting please.

And ffs, if we are going to play for corners, player JWP. We didn't get one chance from a corner today.

Vest had a free header and put it wide - all other corners were well delivered, but carry on.

Hughes just isn't a good manager hence why he has been sacked pretty much everywhere he has been.

He did ok keeping us up. But shouldn't have been kept on. 2 wins was hardly setting the world alight. 9 points from 33 is just plain awful.

The team set up is all wrong, the tactics are wrong, the players don't look like they have a clue what they are being asked to do.

His style of football just isn't suited in this day and age to the PL. He is from the Pullis, Pardew, Fat Sam etc era. Football has moved on. As a person he seems a nice guy, he talks a lot of sense. He just can't walk the walk.

You mean apart from the first 55 minutes?

Different from last year where a lot of defeats were down to sheer lack of quality. This was down to blunt laziness and stupidity instead.

Although I didn’t like the initial line up I think the first 55 mins showed Hughes had it right, even if the subs were strange.

Højbjerg needs to be taken out and shot for that though. Clean through but opts to back up to try and draw a foul which telegraphed to the ref what he was about to do, then blatantly dives on a yellow card.

Although on refllection opting to risk a sending off, rather than taking a shot when through on goal is about the most Saints thing I have ever seen.

Lazy defending for their equaliser, sleeping for their winner.

Players let Hughes down today.

We have played 3 games Ffs, yeah not great but people are saying it is an easy start as not playing top 6 teams but the 3 we have played could end up being the 7th, 8th and 9th teams this season quite easily. Let’s see where we are end of September.

Some positives in there but overall not good, heads are going to drop if we don't get some points on the board and if\when they do we will be in the brown stuff.

First thing that badly needs addressing is goals so Gabbi on for 'no goals' Long please. When you need to dig yourself out of a hole the last thing you want is a 'striker' that never scores. Play him elsewhere but please put someone up front who knows how to score.

3 points dropped today.

Vest had a free header and put it wide - all other corners were well delivered, but carry on.

Leicester defended our corners pretty comfortably and we failed to generate a single chance that went between the white posts... I can tell you now that is not effective.

I am not sure what people were expecting this year? We are in a slump second only to Huddersfield and just because the season restarts and we are level on points it doesn't mean we are suddenly better than last year.

I didn't think today was too bad, played some OK football at times but the lack of a cutting edge, the lack of any mental strength to see out a game and the lack of confidence remain from las year.

If we don't start winning at home soon we really will be in trouble. I said it before, and lighthouse disagrees, but every team will be looking at us thinking they have a chance of three points at present. That brings it own issues as even Cardiff aren't going to be afraid to play us and will be targeting our game as a "must win".

quite baffling selections from hughes now.

1 why do we keep only playing 2 cms and giving up the centre of the park?

2 gabbi and armstrong looked our best players pre season gabbi seems to be 4th choice striker (must be getting really frustrated) whilst armstrong since picking up a injury hardly to be seen

3 where the hell is yoshi?

Bertrand, is not the player Hughes, should have chosen as Captain. He is incapable of leading. Yoshi is far superior and leaving him out of the team is Hughes biggest error.

We have advanced little from last season and once again we are incapable of scoring and collapse defensively.

We remain relegation fodder without drastic change in tactics and team selections

G3s in

Some very strange team selection, and what on earth has Joshi done to be completely blanked?

Anyway I fear this more of an psychological issue - we are now a club with no identity, no real owner (who seems to care - bit like a jacket you bought in haste, and when you get home you think **** me why did I buy that, and stays in the wardrobe), no one in charge (who carries the can). Players so low on confidence, who would p*ss in their pants if you said boo to. We need some leadership and balls pretty dam quick (PDQ).

Relegation would not solve anything, unless there is a complete change top to bottom. In nearly 30 years of supporting Saints, I can honestly say I am not looking forward to our next game - name one person in our club that would "die in the ditch" for Saints right now. I just hope I am still around for our eventual revival, which will come, but not for a long long time if the present structure in in place.

I don't think the players or management are the fundamental issue - it's the ownership, accountability and ambition. Just think how you would feel, if the owner of your business never showed up, or told you his plan for the business, or frankly gave a dam, but said carry on as you were working for the clueless management I inherited, and your job is safe no matter how you perform. Oh and we will sell the best players at the first opportunity, but oh dear we have totally run out of those - ah well just what you like.

He took of Ings and put on the immobile Austin which killed all attacking momentum. That was a bad decision.

It was. Very. We were losing momentum and beginning to be overrun (yet again) in midfield. Lobbing big Charlie On was a worrying attempted solution which didn’t work. Agree though that there is f’all that Hughes can do about Hoj deciding to act the ****.

The sad thing is, I thought Leicester were terrible on the day - and we still couldn't win.

11 games (2 wins, 9 points) into the reign of the mighty Mark Hughes, he hasn't got a clue of his best team or the right tactical approach for our resources. The omens aren't great.

When you've got no injuries, have spent £50m on the squad in the summer, and three games into the season Shane Long's starting, you know things are looking seriously bleak.

Hojbjerg's blatant dive should be rightfully condemned by the manager (though history suggests he'll blame the officials as usual). A rotten day at the office. Again.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

The worry is that it is not only the poor Prem results but we were taken to the cleaners by B/Mgladbach, outplayed in the first half v Ceta Vigo (when they had their first team on the pitch) and spanked by Derby.

OK these were only pre season games but the pattern is there and there has been somewhere near £50m spent on transfers with no real sign of improvement at the moment

As has been said consistently we have a bloated squad of quite average (at best) players, all on very decent wages and an owner who has mortgaged the club to pay for its purchase.

I suppose these challenges are always going to face a club of our size and stature but I feel worse about the situation now (having experienced such a good upward trajectory in recent years) than when the club faced similar challenges in the past

we don't lose that game with 11 men on the pitch
Disagree. We didn't lose that game due to going down to 10 men. We lost it due to inept defending. Sure, going down to 10 men dented our chances of winning but we can't pin the defeat on Hojbjerg IMO.

When we scored I thought we’d go on to win comfortably. Stupid stupid stupid to trust this team of mentally weak losers.

Me too. At that point there was not even the slightest sign that Leicester would win. They were **** and we were good. Yet it all flipped round virtually from the second we scored. I remember feeling the same when we went 2 nil up against Chelsea last season.

We completely deserved to get relegated last season so it’s not exactly a surprise. Hoedt and Austin were pathetic again. Neither are anywhere near the required standard.

Plus points were Lemina, Redmond and Bertrand.

We’re just bang average.

Disagree. We didn't lose that game due to going down to 10 men. We lost it due to inept defending. Sure, going down to 10 men dented our chances of winning but we can't pin the defeat on Hojbjerg IMO.

Disagree If we have 11 on the pitch Maguire doesn't have the option to push up like he did and get into a goal scoring position if we have two up top.