Saints 1-2 Foxes - Post Match

Saint86

I too thought that this was a pretty good performance. The only weaklings were Ings (who I understand was struggling with a massive blister) and Cedric; I would consider Stephens for right-back (as an aside, I always thought that Pied made a decent fist of wing-back, but he is gone now - I haven't seen enough of Valery to comment). Hojbjerg played the midfield general extremely well, though of course, if he dived, that tarnishes his report. I will say that the referee seemed extremely keen to book him and delighted in sending him off - did Pierre roger his missus or something?

Leicester were clearly targetting Saints' right side (Puel has the inside skinny, after all); Cedric is a known weak-link that is increasingly obvious to all.

Hoedt has a lot of talent and showed it on a number of occasions, but his frequent brain-farts are a worry. If he can cut these out, he could be a hell of a defender.

I thought Long was brilliant, as long as he was not considered as a goal-scorer. He occupies a fairly unique role as super-pest - can Saints afford to give a place in the 11 to such a player? I reckon yes.

Elyounoussi is clearly a player, though he has little pace, so trying to skin Leicester's full-back was ill-advised, something which seemed to drive Hughes to distraction. Self-awareness may be lacking there.

Austin, reasonable record notwithstanding, is not fit (pun intended) to grace a Premiership field.

Lemina played extremely well, I suspect his game is better partnered with Hojbjerg than with Romeu; love the latter but he and Mario don't work.

Overall, lots of positives to take from today's performance.

I forgot to add that I suspect Yoshi to be this season's Billy Big-Balls, which would be terribly disappointing.

Hughes comments about Moss at the end of last season at Everton may have an effect of his decisions lol

we have the same points achieved against these 3 teams as we did last season.

I have seen the penalty / sending off and the ref was right it seems to me.

All those calling for Hoj , however well he played doesn’t make up for his dive.

Palace away next, tough game.

I never wanted Puel sacked and so feel we are reaping what we sowed. It was the same as when Nicholl was sacked, we got rid of a good man as we had been spoilt

Les ,Ralph and Wilso should hang their heads in shame.

As for the black box, I can only assume Stevie Wonder is reading the information and the button showing ‘players with pace’ is broken,

I too thought that this was a pretty good performance. The only weaklings were Ings (who I understand was struggling with a massive blister) and Cedric; I would consider Stephens for right-back (as an aside, I always thought that Pied made a decent fist of wing-back, but he is gone now - I haven't seen enough of Valery to comment). Hojbjerg played the midfield general extremely well, though of course, if he dived, that tarnishes his report. I will say that the referee seemed extremely keen to book him and delighted in sending him off - did Pierre roger his missus or something?

Leicester were clearly targetting Saints' right side (Puel has the inside skinny, after all); Cedric is a known weak-link that is increasingly obvious to all.

Hoedt has a lot of talent and showed it on a number of occasions, but his frequent brain-farts are a worry. If he can cut these out, he could be a hell of a defender.

I thought Long was brilliant, as long as he was not considered as a goal-scorer. He occupies a fairly unique role as super-pest - can Saints afford to give a place in the 11 to such a player? I reckon yes.

Elyounoussi is clearly a player, though he has little pace, so trying to skin Leicester's full-back was ill-advised, something which seemed to drive Hughes to distraction. Self-awareness may be lacking there.

Austin, reasonable record notwithstanding, is not fit (pun intended) to grace a Premiership field.

Lemina played extremely well, I suspect his game is better partnered with Hojbjerg than with Romeu; love the latter but he and Mario don't work.

Overall, lots of positives to take from today's performance.

Very sensible post

I genuinely have no idea what austin brings to the table anymore.

Lemina and Redmond were superb today, Berty played well.

Hojbjerg was having a good game but had now put himself back a few spaces with that embarrassing dive.

I like Long. Works his nuts off, Ings was just off it a tad today.

2 wins in 11 for old Sparky - he needs to find his best XI and stick with it. It’s already becoming worrying and we’ve played 3 games.

Cedric is gash, how on Earth he is a Euro winner with Portugal is beyond me. Can’t wait till january when he can go fourth and multiply. Play Target right back.

At last, having been at the game today this is the first summary that gets close to reflecting my view of events. I also thought Ings did not play as well as previously, maybe his paring with Long dosn’t suit his game. Perhaps he would have started alongside Gabbi if he had been available.

I knew at about 85 mins that Saints would let in the winner, so predictable. Hughes is clueless about starting line-ups and subs.

There are a number of suspicious goings on at the club with the leavings-out with no explanations.

I can't understand why everybody didn't stay and boo the team to the nth degree, plus call for Reed and Professor Unwin to p*ss right off.

If any Saints fan enjoyed that funeral, stop yourself breathing. Leicester had 4+ fast attacks, Saints have had nil fast attacks in the last 2 seasons.

When was the last time Saints got ANY side whatsoever OFFSIDE? Hoedt is utter shiite, as is Austin(I got the ball and then I fell over again)

With the very expensive loans out and the mediocre rubbish left behind, how can you people not demand to the nth degree for Reed and Freddie to feck off.

What the Effing hell is wrong with you so-called Saints fans. I have demanded rid of those two self-interested Amateurs for 2 years now.

AND I have written more than once to the Saints Website demanding that they be sacked. Multiply that by 10,000 and see what happens.

Ah I have just remembered, Sheeple baa lambs. COYR. Thick and thin Up or down, All very well but you don't have to pretend to enjoy that last 2 years garbage.

I am still a Saints fan from 1960, but I ain't enjoying it at the moment.

Pretty good performance? Unlucky? Get real. When we play our next home game at St Mary's, it will be 10 months since lthe last time we saw our team win a home league game. There's nothing pretty good or unlucky about that.

The way our club is being run is disastrous.

Edit: That's a bullsh*t stat.

Edited by Jonnyboy

Pretty good performance? Unlucky? Get real. When we play our next home game at St Mary's, it will be 10 months since lthe last time we saw our team win a home league game. There's nothing pretty good or unlucky about that.

Am I reading this wrong?

We beat Bournemouth in April.

You missed the crucial win over Bournemouth then that helped us stay up?

The last time we won a league game at home was Bournemouth in April

It'll be five months

I knew at about 85 mins that Saints would let in the winner, so predictable. Hughes is clueless about starting line-ups and subs.

There are a number of suspicious goings on at the club with the leavings-out with no explanations.

I can't understand why everybody didn't stay and boo the team to the nth degree, plus call for Reed and Professor Unwin to p*ss right off.

If any Saints fan enjoyed that funeral, stop yourself breathing. Leicester had 4+ fast attacks, Saints have had nil fast attacks in the last 2 seasons.

When was the last time Saints got ANY side whatsoever OFFSIDE? Hoedt is utter shiite, as is Austin(I got the ball and then I fell over again)

With the very expensive loans out and the mediocre rubbish left behind, how can you people not demand to the nth degree for Reed and Freddie to feck off.

What the Effing hell is wrong with you so-called Saints fans. I have demanded rid of those two self-interested Amateurs for 2 years now.

AND I have written more than once to the Saints Website demanding that they be sacked. Multiply that by 10,000 and see what happens.

Ah I have just remembered, Sheeple baa lambs. COYR. Thick and thin Up or down, All very well but you don't have to pretend to enjoy that last 2 years garbage.

Until your very last sentence I thought you were. 12 year old kid. That about sums up the incoherent tosh that you have just spouted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either way, our home form is a joke and it has been since our win against Leicester at St. Mary's when VvD got injured in Jan 2017...

Since that win it's been:

Played: 31

Won: 6

Drawn: 11

Lost: 14

Goals For: 26

Goals Against: 42

That's including the three cup games in that time against Arsenal, Watford and Wolves. Fortress St. Mary's.

Either way, our home form is a joke and it has been since our win against Leicester at St. Mary's when VvD got injured in Jan 2017...

Since that win it's been:

Played: 31

Won: 6

Drawn: 11

Lost: 14

Goals For: 26

Goals Against: 42

That's including the three cup games in that time against Arsenal, Watford and Wolves. Fortress St. Mary's.

Yeh that's not good at all.

And today was one of our better home performances in that time.

There's nothing true about it, either.

Are you some kind of benjamin button, little fella? Your mental age the inverse of your physical appearance?

Edited by shurlock

I thought that we were decent in the first half and in the second half leading up to Bertrand’s excellent goal.

Then we shot ourselves in both feet with stupid individual errors. Cedric ****ting the bed for the first Leicester goal, fresh from being jumped over by Richarliason for Everton’s second goal last weekend. Hoj thinking he was Neymar. The winning goal going right through Vestergaard. Hoedt made a few errors again today.

Lemina and Redmond stood out with good performances, which were wasted because of mental lapses by their teammates.

Very frustrating result. Disagree with starting Long over Gabbiadini, and not even putting Gabbiadini and Yoshi on the bench. I’ve pretty much lost patience with Cedric. I’d try Targett ahead of him next game if I was the manager (his dead ball deliveries would help considering we had at least 10 corners today with no result) but the manager is Hughes and he will start Cedric again.

Didn’t see the game (apart from MOTD) so appreciate reading the comments - obviously you have to filter the extreme ones out before getting a sense of how we actually played.

Sounds like there are some positives. But the concerning thing is that the “if only” comments seem to be all too common nowadays. There’s always some small margin for why we lost, but football is won and lost at the margins, it’s not a good sign to always be on the wrong side of them.

Although I do see a squad short of confidence and mediocre on quality, I don’t think it’s abject. Hughes appeared to rejuvenate the squad when he joined and it still seems like the team have the right attitude, but a manager also, whether through tactical or mental work, has to improve the players at these said margins. If you roll your eyes or have a facepalm when watching the goal your team has conceded, that is an individual mistake/lapse. If you find yourself doing it multiple times every game, it’s more than that.

Also found Hughes’ defence of the sending off a bit cringeworthy. No defence for Hojbjerg’s dive.

Moi Elyanoussi worried me. His speed of thought seems really slow. Time and time again he had a wiling runner (at one point it was Vestergaard) and he failed to even attempt a very simple through ball.

Hopefully it was just this game and won’t be a problem with this guy.

Moi Elyanoussi worried me. His speed of thought seems really slow. Time and time again he had a wiling runner (at one point it was Vestergaard) and he failed to even attempt a very simple through ball.

Hopefully it was just this game and won’t be a problem with this guy.

Thank you might find it’s coming to terms with the pace and style of the Premier League, There was one moment when Elyanoussi had the ball and he thought he had time........when the ball was taken away from him he was like “oh I didn’t expect that”!

I thought we played some good football, way way better to watch than the slow-paced cautious tripe of the last two seasons. The results will come, though it's hard to take a sucker punch from a side managed by the dirge-bag Puel. Cedrics headed clearance wouldn't have been far enough if the game had been played in a lift shaft, and **** knows what Moe was doing. He had a poor game as well. If Cedric and Moe had played as well on the right as Redmond and Bertie did on the left we win that two or three nil. Cedric is becoming a liability at the back in the air and offers absolutely nothing going forward.

So Targett in for Cedric at right back for me as a permanent change, Moe will come good with a better player behind him. I can see why Hughes started Long - just wanted someone with the pace to get to the ball and hold it up. Long is one of the fastest players in European football. Second only to Arjen Robben I recall - Google it. With the first sub I thought Hoj should have gone off to be replaced by Austin, but if Ings was injured, fair enough.

I trust Hughes to get it right. He is getting there. Can't see top half this season, but would be staggered if we have a worse season than last year. Let's see where we are after 10 games.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

Thank you might find it’s coming to terms with the pace and style of the Premier League, There was one moment when Elyanoussi had the ball and he thought he had time........when the ball was taken away from him he was like “oh I didn’t expect that”!

Hope he learns quick. Vestergaard had barreled forward and no one picked out his run into the box. Ings made 2 or 3 that would have been very dangerous had Moi fed him the ball.

The attacking play and transition seems much much better but the defence are a shambles. I like Hughsie but I can’t fathom why he wasted the whole preseason on a back 5/3. It’s like we’re having a second preseason now trying to get the back 4 drilled. Odd.

We started really welll and got into some great positions but just didn’t have the quality of the final ball. Redmond and Bertrand were very good and the midfield balance seemed better. Right side was a concern with moi and Cedric not really being in the game. If moi was purchased for pace it was evident he didn’t have much. Time will tell. I didn’t get the tactics with long. He’s quick and Morgan and mcguire Are not but he hardly played on their shoulder and was often far to deep when we did get the ball to really pressure them.

Hughes can only work with what he was although surprised that maya nor gabbi were on the bench unless injured.

I think we’re in for another uninspiring season though... a bloated squad full of average players. Can only blame the owner and board for that... how reed is still there is very surprising.

Beginning to think there's some sort of St Mary's hoodoo. Even that win against Bournemouth had an element of luck. Opposition seem to like playing there, especially with their supporters camped behind a goal.

Solution. Stick another tier on the gasworks end and plonk the away fans up there well away from the pitch. Mind you we might be back in Div 1 before that ever happens at this rate.

Hoedt was sh1te, again. At fault for the first goal initially though everyone wants to blame Cedric because he’s small.

Luckily for Champions League Wesley, he was rarely tested in this game or he’d have looked even sh1tter.

If this was one of our better performances in recent times and people feel buoyed by this then they’ve very short memories. It was only 4 seasons back that we’d genuinely give any side a game; we had a solid spine (Forster aside) complimented by genuine pace. We could hold possession, but also had the option of going direct with Pelle.

Our recruitment since the summer of Puels tenure has been nothing short of fkkkking disgraceful.

Beginning to think there's some sort of St Mary's hoodoo. Even that win against Bournemouth had an element of luck. Opposition seem to like playing there, especially with their supporters camped behind a goal.

Solution. Stick another tier on the gasworks end and plonk the away fans up there well away from the pitch. Mind you we might be back in Div 1 before that ever happens at this rate.

Must be the Pompey shirt under the pitch.

Sort of pleased I missed this one. Positives seem to be that we looked lively and played well until the equaliser, and but for Hojbjerg's brain fart we should have won. Negatives are we have a disorganized defence, especially weak at RB, and have no confidence. Think there are some issues with unsettled/insecure players. Seems we're still desperate to reduce the wage bill, thanks to Carrillo, Boufal and Forster. This means we may listen to offers from abroad for players I'd like to keep, mainly Gabbiadini and Yoshida.

After next week, hopefully things will settle down. I want to see Yoshida in the team with Vestergaard and Gabbiadini with Ings or Long, who I still think contributes to urgency and pace.

Keep the faith. A couple of wins and a settled team will make all the difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sort of pleased I missed this one. Positives seem to be that we looked lively and played well until the equaliser, and but for Hojbjerg's brain fart we should have won. Negatives are we have a disorganized defence, especially weak at RB, and have no confidence. Think there are some issues with unsettled/insecure players. Seems we're still desperate to reduce the wage bill, thanks to Carrillo, Boufal and Forster. This means we may listen to offers from abroad for players I'd like to keep, mainly Gabbiadini and Yoshida.

After next week, hopefully things will settle down. I want to see Yoshida in the team with Vestergaard and Gabbiadini with Ings or Long, who I still think contributes to urgency and pace.

Keep the faith. A couple of wins and a settled team will make all the difference.

Without Hojbjerg’s brain fart, we wouldn’t or shouldn’t have won. They were the better side after the equaliser -Lemina, in particular, made a critical block. In all likelihood, the game would have petered out and ended a draw.

I don't just think its about a settled team, I mean JWP created 3 clear cut chances against Everton and gets dropped for this game, admittedly we did look better ( but we all know Leicester game plan is to sit back soak up pressure and hit ppl on the break ) and Redmond had a slightly better game ( although most of this was down to Bertrand ), but we went from 3 clear cut chances to 0 again just like at Burnley 0 clear cut chances, plenty of attacking football, but 0 end product the final ball into the box was bad all game even the 12 corners did not have any real quality on it, so I have to question why are best passer is not on the field.

Redmond ratings now, 6 - 5 - 6 and ppl think he is playing good.

Just want to add, is any one shocked the only goal we have came off a JWP corner?

I know Bertrand score din this game but no one assisted it, which is why it was such a good goal

Edited by Mosin

Cording to radio Ings had a massive blister on his foot, so thats why he wasn’t great. Why start him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would a professional sportsperson who doesn't run marathons have a massive blister on his foot? I mean its's not like he can't afford well fitting, made to measure shoes or boots is it. Could be from wearing flip flops on beaches these last 18 months I suppose.

I don't just think its about a settled team, I mean JWP created 3 clear cut chances against Everton and gets dropped for this game, admittedly we did look better ( but we all know Leicester game plan is to sit back soak up pressure and hit ppl on the break ) and Redmond had a slightly better game ( although most of this was down to Bertrand ), but we went from 3 clear cut chances to 0 again just like at Burnley 0 clear cut chances, plenty of attacking football, but 0 end product the final ball into the box was bad all game even the 12 corners did not have any real quality on it, so I have to question why are best passer is not on the field.

Redmond ratings now, 6 - 5 - 6 and ppl think he is playing good.

MoTM was between Redmond and Lemina, you complete div.

MoTM was between Redmond and Lemina, you complete div.

Southampton: McCarthy (6), Soares (5), Vestergaard (6), Hoedt (6), Bertrand (7), Hojbjerg (4), Lemina (7), Long (6), Ings (6), Elyounoussi (5), Redmond (6).

Subs: Austin (6), Romeu (n/a), Armstrong (n/a)

Leicester: Schmeichel (7), Chilwell 7), Morgan (6), Maguire (8), Mendy (7), Ndidi (7), Pereira (7), Amartey (6), Gray (7), Maddison (7), Iheanacho (5).

Subs: , Albrighton (6), Okazaki (n/a), Ghezzal (n/a)

Man of the match: Harry Maguire

Yep Bertrand and Lemina

Feel like an idiot now do we?

Southampton: McCarthy (6), Soares (5), Vestergaard (6), Hoedt (6), Bertrand (7), Hojbjerg (4), Lemina (7), Long (6), Ings (6), Elyounoussi (5), Redmond (6).

Leicester: Schmeichel (7), Chilwell 7), Morgan (6), Maguire (8), Mendy (7), Ndidi (7), Pereira (7), Amartey (6), Gray (7), Maddison (7), Iheanacho (5).

Yep Bertrand and Lemina

Those ratings are wrong. HTH.

Yep Bertrand and Lemina

So what? One person’s opinion - for all I know they could be equally as stupid as you :lol: