Saints 1-2 Foxes - Post Match

Saint86

Just seen MOTD as I was working yesterday. Have to say

1. Definite dive, Hojbjerg is a plank.

2. Can't believe people are blaming Hoedt for the first goal more than Moi. A sliding tackle on the half way line went to a Leicester player. So what? We still had plenty of other players who should have dealt with that afterwards.

3. What Moi and Cedric were doing I have no idea, it's basic communication stuff. If nothing else, can we spend an hour in training teaching our players to shout, "MINE!!!" Cedric should have been heading that ball out for a throw in and Moi nowhere near it.

4. Maguire was Austin's man for the winner but even having only been on for 25 minutes he looked like he was running through knee deep treacle. Vest... Was he not paying attention or what? It was the last chance in injury time, Maguire was obviously going to have a pop.

They're wrong and so are you.

Show any other ratings then, cause im finding 0 others that say different

Southampton (4-4-2): McCarthy 5.5; Soares 6, Vestergaard 5.5, Hoedt 6, Bertrand 6.5; Redmond 6, Hojbjerg 4.5, Lemina 6, Elyounoussi 6 (Romeu 79); Long 5.5 (Armstrong 86), Ings 6 (Austin 69, 6)

Subs not used: Gunn, Stephens, Davis, Ward-Prowse

Scorers: Bertrand 52

Booked: Bertrand, Hojbjerg

Sent off: Hojbjerg 77

Manager: Mark Hughes 5.5

Leicester (4-2-3-1): Schmeichel 6; Amartey 6, Morgan 7, Maguire 7.5, Chilwell 7; Mendy 6, Ndidi 6; Ricardo 6, Maddison 6 (Ghezzal 78), Gray 6.5 (Okazaki 88); Iheanacho 6 (Albrighton 67, 6)

Daily Mails ratings, So Sky and Daily mail wrong, your right...

Just found this...

Player Ratings

Starting XI: McCarthy (6); Cedric (6), Vestergaard (6), Hoedt (4), Bertrand (7); Elyounoussi (6), Lemina (7), Hojbjerg (6), Redmond (8); Long (6), Ings (7).

​Substitutes: Austin (6), Romeu (6), Armstrong (N/A).

Link?, no link no believe...……..

Show any other ratings then, cause im finding 0 others that say different

Southampton (4-4-2): McCarthy 5.5; Soares 6, Vestergaard 5.5, Hoedt 6, Bertrand 6.5; Redmond 6, Hojbjerg 4.5, Lemina 6, Elyounoussi 6 (Romeu 79); Long 5.5 (Armstrong 86), Ings 6 (Austin 69, 6)

Subs not used: Gunn, Stephens, Davis, Ward-Prowse

Scorers: Bertrand 52

Booked: Bertrand, Hojbjerg

Sent off: Hojbjerg 77

Manager: Mark Hughes 5.5

Leicester (4-2-3-1): Schmeichel 6; Amartey 6, Morgan 7, Maguire 7.5, Chilwell 7; Mendy 6, Ndidi 6; Ricardo 6, Maddison 6 (Ghezzal 78), Gray 6.5 (Okazaki 88); Iheanacho 6 (Albrighton 67, 6)

Daily Mails ratings, So Sky and Daily mail wrong, your right...

Why do you care what a disinterested, distracted, perma-****ed, slob of a journalist thinks? You've seen these people on TV, right?

I know more than them.

Just found this...

Player Ratings

Starting XI: McCarthy (6); Cedric (6), Vestergaard (6), Hoedt (4), Bertrand (7); Elyounoussi (6), Lemina (7), Hojbjerg (6), Redmond (8); Long (6), Ings (7).

​Substitutes: Austin (6), Romeu (6), Armstrong (N/A).

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1284768/Live/England-Premier-League-2018-2019-Southampton-Leicester

3rd place now says different to u

you dont believe that people have different opinion to you?

yeah sure, but I don't see what some ones opinion has to do with official statistics though, no source is saying Redmond was are best player, every source I can find says differently, and my opinion was he was not are best player either, in my opinion it was Lemina.

yeah sure, but I don't see what some ones opinion has to do with official statistics though, no source is saying Redmond was are best player, every source I can find says differently, and my opinion was he was not are best player either, in my opinion it was Lemina.

Redmond had a great first half, as direct as he has been and causing issues with his quick movement - he tailed off a little though. Lemina was ok, but struggles to impose himself and seems to shrink when the going gets tough - as do many of our other players.

Redmond had a great first half, as direct as he has been and causing issues with his quick movement - he tailed off a little though. Lemina was ok, but struggles to impose himself and seems to shrink when the going gets tough - as do many of our other players.

cant argue, but I think Redmond down fall was he created nothing again and for 3 games now In a row, yes he looks a threat with his running but that is as far as it goes as he has no end product.

The reason we lost that game was because collectively the team sat back and played far too deep, not pressing when they had the ball. This was true of several passages of play during the game but obviously certainly for McGuires winner where nobody went out to challenge him (probably should have been Vestergard). Nobody putting their b*ll*x on the line for the team or club.

The reason we didn’t win the game is more complex. For whatever reason Ings was less mobile. Long starting may have worked, but once again it didn’t....he has lost his way completely. Austin adds nothing now unless he is served a scoring chance on a plate...but we don’t create those type of chances because we’re so pedestrian in attack. Redmond has no end product still and Ely shows no signs of being any better. Our central midfielders are generally too scared to move forward into attack, because doing so will almost certainly cause an issue if the opposition break.

A quick word on Hoj. I really like this guy...he has balls in the tackle, works tirelessly across a huge area of the pitch, puts his heart and soul into a game AND tries to affect the game positively. His first yellow was as soft as you’ll ever see...very early in the game...so even if he did dive, it should never have resulted in a sending off. Placing himself in the box to invite a challenge was the right thing to do and in the split second that he was confronted by two defenders he chose the wrong time to go down. That’s not something to be crucified over when most of the game you’ve played like Trojan.

I don’t understand why Yoshi is not being selected...he would be my choice next to Vestergard. I would not play Romeu with Lemina again...it doesn’t work.

The worry for me is that we seem to have had the easiest set of opening fixtures we could hope for two of which have been at home and have amassed just one point and scored two goals. Compare our fixtures with Huddersfield who have faced Chelsea and Man City, Brighton who have faced Man Utd and Liverpool, West Ham have faced Liverpool and Arsenal, and even Cardiff have 2 points despite only one home game and two away. Bournemouth and Watford have both come flying out the blocks. Why do we always seem weeks behind everyone else having wasted the preseason?

The reason we lost that game was because collectively the team sat back and played far too deep, not pressing when they had the ball. This was true of several passages of play during the game but obviously certainly for McGuires winner where nobody went out to challenge him (probably should have been Vestergard). Nobody putting their b*ll*x on the line for the team or club.

The reason we didn’t win the game is more complex. For whatever reason Ings was less mobile. Long starting may have worked, but once again it didn’t....he has lost his way completely. Austin adds nothing now unless he is served a scoring chance on a plate...but we don’t create those type of chances because we’re so pedestrian in attack. Redmond has no end product still and Ely shows no signs of being any better. Our central midfielders are generally too scared to move forward into attack, because doing so will almost certainly cause an issue if the opposition break.

A quick word on Hoj. I really like this guy...he has balls in the tackle, works tirelessly across a huge area of the pitch, puts his heart and soul into a game AND tries to affect the game positively. His first yellow was as soft as you’ll ever see...very early in the game...so even if he did dive, it should never have resulted in a sending off. Placing himself in the box to invite a challenge was the right thing to do and in the split second that he was confronted by two defenders he chose the wrong time to go down. That’s not something to be crucified over when most of the game you’ve played like Trojan.

I don’t understand why Yoshi is not being selected...he would be my choice next to Vestergard. I would not play Romeu with Lemina again...it doesn’t work.

Hojbjerg’s yellow was fully deserved pal. It was for an accumulation of fouls, including one on Chilwell (13mins) where his studs were partly showing. Lucky to escape a yellow for that challenge alone.

cant argue, but I think Redmond down fall was he created nothing again and for 3 games now In a row, yes he looks a threat with his running but that is as far as it goes as he has no end product.

Although he did fire in several quality crosses with his left foot - particularly in the first half. Not as effective in the second half when he seemed to switch to the right wing. I thought Lemina was quality for most of the game; Bertrand good as well.

Cedric again caught out unable to head the ball properly, like last week you have to question whether he’d have been in that position had we played 3 centre halves. Hughes seems to have torn up 3 at the back which solidified us last season, on the basis of one poor half against Burnley.

That said we were excellent first half, particularly Redmond. I haven’t read the comments on here as I’m not sure my blood pressure will take it, but no doubt some will refuse to accept he played well. He has definitely upped a level this season.

At the end of the day, Cedric, PEH & Vestergaard made major mistakes that cost us.

Our home form is woeful, but I’m pretty confident we can turn it round. Last year we were deservedly getting beat, this we’ve played ok and could have won both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

.............for McGuires winner where nobody went out to challenge him (probably should have been Vestergard). Nobody putting their b*ll*x on the line for the team or club.

That was poor but when you see the highlights Armstrong is certainly trying hard and he was furthest away when McGuire started his run. Schoolboy football from the other defenders after Cedric had lost it. Stephens needs to play there next game or go 3 at the back.

I think most of us feel the same about PEH but trust me that was a dive of epic proportions and frankly he was lucky to stay on the pitch after 2 reckless challenges earlier in the game. His card was well and truly marked by the Ref before that dive. He deserved to go can't have any complaints about that. However that's football and at least he was in the box which was a rarity for our powder puff forwards.

Hopefully Hughes will use Tuesday to try out Gunn, Yoshida, Gallagher, JWP, Gabbadini, and Targett. I've got a feeling that could be a stronger team.

Cedric again caught out unable to head the ball properly, like last week you have to question whether he’d have been in that position had we played 3 centre halves. Hughes seems to have torn up 3 at the back which solidified us last season, on the basis of one poor half against Burnley.

That said we were excellent first half, particularly Redmond. I haven’t read the comments on here as I’m not sure my blood pressure will take it, but no doubt some will refuse to accept he played well. He has definitely upped a level this season.

At the end of the day, Cedric, PEH & Vestergaard made major mistakes that cost us.

Our home form is woeful, but I’m pretty confident we can turn it round. Last year we were deservedly getting beat, this we’ve played ok and could have won both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nutshell.

I always wondered who the fck looks at some journo’s ratings out of 10.

Now I realise it is important to some.

Bet the same fans get excited when Garth Crooks reveals his team of the week as well so you can work out who played well? Heaven forbid you made your own minds up.

Hopefully Hughes will use Tuesday to try out Gunn, Yoshida, Gallagher, JWP, Gabbadini, and Targett. I've got a feeling that could be a stronger team.

Good shout, I'd say Armstrong as well. JWP if nothing else will give us a good set piece delivery so Vest may get chances from corners. Our build up play in the 1st half yesterday was quite good, and I can't remember a half where we dominated as much, but apart from Ings turn and snap shot not one real chance created. Why we got rid of Tadic I don't know, seems to be SFC policy each year to move our best players out. I like Austin's attitude but he's just not good enough or fit enough and will only do well if presented with a few good chances, which we cannot seem to create at the moment. Leicester didn't win that game, we lost it due to defensive errors which makes it all the more frustrating. Its very early but we need points and quickly. Having seen MOTD I was harsh on McCarthy for the 1st goal, but feel he could have reacted quicker for Maguires shot, which admittedly went through two defenders legs - Sunday league stuff.

I've been a Saints fan for 26 years, there have certainly been much worse times than yesterday.

Just something desperately frustrating about a player like Harry Maguire scoring a 25 yarder in the very last minute of the game to win it. Fair play to him but seriously?!

I've been a Saints fan for 26 years, there have certainly been much worse times than yesterday.

Just something desperately frustrating about a player like Harry Maguire scoring a 25 yarder in the very last minute of the game to win it. Fair play to him but seriously?!

You would mind a centre back trying to have a pop from there (if anyone) at the time in the game..

The ball went through both Romeu and Vest.

Comical really

Fortunately I was working yesterday so I was spared the misery of a last minute goal to take the point away, but it seems a very long time ago we had any kind of a run of form of wins. In fact, just checking back through the seasons, March of Puel's reign looks OK on paper, but really it was the tail end of the last Koeman season we really strung some wins together.

My initial optimism about this season has very quickly dried up. I would have hope for 4 or more points so far, and we have 1, we need a couple of wins soon or we'll be fighting at the bottom all season.

I still back Hughes, but he frustrates me by not picking our strongest side. In fact, like Pellegrino before him, I don't think he even knows what his strongest side is. There seems to be a worrying lack of confidence around us at the moment, and it's difficult to see where we can turn it around. Still, on the plus side only 3 games have gone. We may yet click.

I had to log in to ask. What kind of idiot thinks the opinion of some muppet who writes for a newspaper is an 'official' and thus officially-binding *opinion* (try understanding the word) and which means that someone who e.g. at the match can't think otherwise?

Answer: you (apparently).

I think I'll have to even stop using this forum as a source of anything and stick with Hughes' 'objective' opinion e.g. PEH didn't blatently dive.

Although he did fire in several quality crosses with his left foot - particularly in the first half. Not as effective in the second half when he seemed to switch to the right wing. I thought Lemina was quality for most of the game; Bertrand good as well.

Even Hughes felt the first yellow was harsh. I trust his judgement and indeed my own, over yours. Sonny.

Even Hughes felt the first yellow was harsh. I trust his judgement and indeed my own, over yours. Sonny.

Manager claiming decision awarded against the team is harsh. What a shocker. I have some magic beans to sell if you’re interested.

Manager claiming decision awarded against the team is harsh. What a shocker. I have some magic beans to sell if you’re interested.

Have you watched it? If you have you would agree that it was harsh.

Try that instead of attempting to use bellitling wit all the time

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Have you watched it? If you have you would agree that it was harsh.

Try that instead of attempting to use bellitling wit all the time

The yellow was for an accumulation of fouls (having been warned), including one on Chilwell (13mins) where his studs were partly showing. PEH was lucky to escape a yellow for that challenge alone.

It looked to me like the ref indicated 2 with his fingers when he booked him for the first time.

In any case what sort of ****ing idiot dives like that when they’re on a booking anyway? That booking could have been the least deserved in the history of football, but it’s still a booking. Diving the way he did gave the ref absolutely no alternative at all. I hope some of the players gave him both barrels afterwards. Pathetic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first booking was a bit soft, but still arguably a booking on its own - it's a "coming together" until Hojbjerg reaches out and grabs Maddison, stopping him from advancing. I agree there's not much to it, but seen yellows given for it. Add to that the fact he had, as others have pointed out, already been warned about earlier an foul, not sure there can be any complaints.

Thought it was bad Hughes tried to make excuses for it, but I'm hoping that was just him not wanting to criticise players in public and in reality he was livid.

Eh? I was responding to Mosin's claim that Redmond "didn't do much" against Leicester, not judging the merit of Hoj's misdemeanours.

Sorry, was not commenting on your post...something is not right with the site...you can see that I replied to another post, not yours??? Weird.

High crosses into their box first half played into the hands of their centre backs so we end up with a series of corners rather than goal scoring opportunities. Ings is too short and while Long wins headers with his back to goal he doesn’t get on the end of many crosses.

The one occasion Ings was played to feet first half resulted in a goal attempt. He got a half chance second half with a ball to feet. Bertrand’s goal was from a low cross. For all the high press, high energy, possession, especially first half, which was impressive, the final ball into the box was ineffective.

For an intelligent bloke, Hoijberg can be a bit of an idiot on the pitch. Pathetic dive on Saturday reminded me of his long late run up the pitch at goodison last season only to boot the ball into touch and cede possession.

High crosses into their box first half played into the hands of their centre backs so we end up with a series of corners rather than goal scoring opportunities. Ings is too short and while Long wins headers with his back to goal he doesn’t get on the end of many crosses.

The one occasion Ings was played to feet first half resulted in a goal attempt. He got a half chance second half with a ball to feet. Bertrand’s goal was from a low cross. For all the high press, high energy, possession, especially first half, which was impressive, the final ball into the box was ineffective.

For an intelligent bloke, Hoijberg can be a bit of an idiot on the pitch. Pathetic dive on Saturday reminded me of his long late run up the pitch at goodison last season only to boot the ball into touch and cede possession.

been like that for several seasons now its fine when you've got Lambert (or to a less extent Pelle) leading the line but we haven't had a player like that for ages yet we still play kike we do. I'd much rather the full backs got to the byline and put in low cut backs to feet.

been like that for several seasons now its fine when you've got Lambert (or to a less extent Pelle) leading the line but we haven't had a player like that for ages yet we still play kike we do. I'd much rather the full backs got to the byline and put in low cut backs to feet.

Agree, especially as we’ve now bought Armstrong and Elyanoussi who it seems can both strike a ball.

I think I am not alone in thinking we have desperately missed a proper target man.

Austin may have fitted the bill a few years back but he is a busted flush now

Ings, Gabbi, Long are not target men but old fashioned inside forwards.

why on earth did we persist with the sh1t floated corner when it clearly wasnt working

i remember first game burnely mo came on and we were actually dangerous from corners for once when he hit them with some whip and panash

Well, one of them led to a free header for Vestergaard. Floated corners are probably just as effective as whippy ones, I'd wager.

I think I am not alone in thinking we have desperately missed a proper target man.

Austin may have fitted the bill a few years back but he is a busted flush now

Ings, Gabbi, Long are not target men but old fashioned inside forwards.

While a agree that a target man such as Pelle would suit a current style, most of the successful teams at the moment do not have one. Our problem is that we play as though we have a target man and need adapt our style to create chances for the more mobile type of striker such as Ings or Gabbi. If we want to try playing with a target man - how about Sam Gallagher alongside Danny Ings?

While a agree that a target man such as Pelle would suit a current style, most of the successful teams at the moment do not have one. Our problem is that we play as though we have a target man and need adapt our style to create chances for the more mobile type of striker such as Ings or Gabbi. If we want to try playing with a target man - how about Sam Gallagher alongside Danny Ings?

Of the top 6?

Lukaku

Kane

Giroud/Morata