Hughes out...

Unbelievable Jeff

Because if I replaced my missing window pane with chipboard, one (yes, you) could legitimately argue that I had replaced my window.

I would argue that there is a distinction between replacement and substitution.

Ignore MLG - he’s playing you like a fiddle. Why do you think he’s sponsored by Glasgow/Heisenberg?

but we miss our still-to-be-replaced 70m cb.

What do you think Vestergaard is? Ok he isn't as good as van Dijk, but he is still his replacement.

Because if I replaced my missing window pane with chipboard, one (yes, you) could legitimately argue that I had replaced my window.

Who are you suggesting we could have realistically signed to replace world record fee defender van Dijk and it count as a replacement?

Who are you suggesting we could have realistically signed to replace world record fee defender van Dijk and it count as a replacement?

I really don’t know. The point here was that Hughes has a substantially weaker back line than last year and he should be cut some slack, whether or not he is a route-one dinosaur.

I really don’t know. The point here was that Hughes has a substantially weaker back line than last year and he should be cut some slack, whether or not he is a route-one dinosaur.

Van Dijk was only here half a season last year, and he wasn't particularly good - especially with the fact that apparently he was being disruptive...

So you only disliked Pellegrino because his football wasn't as route one expansive as MH, and the players also massively under-performed for Pellegrino as well?

Dael Fry

You may not have heard of him but watch him over the next couple of years and you will see what I mean. There's no finer young central defender out there. Our own Christoph Klarer will be ready in a couple of years too. In fact, I'd have been tempted to play him alongside Yoshida at Brighton tonight. Great players break into the first team at a very young age.

Fry's international honours so far:

England U-17

UEFA European Under-17 Championship: Winner 2014

England U20

Tournoi Under-20 Four Nations: Winner 2017

FIFA Under-20 World Cup: Winner 2017

England U21

Toulon Tournament: Winner 2018

Toulon Tournament: Best XI 2018

Van Dijk was only here half a season last year, and he wasn't particularly good - especially with the fact that apparently he was being disruptive...

So you only disliked Pellegrino because his football wasn't as route one expansive as MH, and the players also massively under-performed for Pellegrino as well?

Those are the main reasons, yes.

He played dull, defence-first football, and the players did indeed underperform under his management.

Hughes may not be a world beater, but he kept us up last season, and deserves at least half a season off the back of that achievement. Can’t understand your desire to change manager 3 games in, although I may have changed my mind after 20.

He played dull, defence-first football, and the players did indeed underperform under his management.

Hughes may not be a world beater, but he kept us up last season, and deserves at least half a season off the back of that achievement. Can’t understand your desire to change manager 3 games in, although I may have changed my mind after 20.

Jeff's point of view though is that if you strongly believe that we WILL be in trouble after 20 games, why wait to make the change? Palace were criticised for ousting de Boer so early last season, we gave Pellegrino until March. Who made the better decision?

While I share some of his concerns, I think Jeff is being a little premature in blaming our defeats on Hughes' inability to coach a defence. Can he really be responsible for Cedric heading the ball in the air and then running away from it? Or Hojbjerg deciding to dive when on a yellow card? Now, of course, maybe he can - if he has instilled a bit more cynicism into our play, who's to say he doesn't encourage other forms of, essentially, cheating? And while it seems harsh to blame a manager for the second goal when Vestergaard could have blocked it, the fact our players were so deep MIGHT also be a product of poor coaching.

Jeff's point of view though is that if you strongly believe that we WILL be in trouble after 20 games, why wait to make the change? Palace were criticised for ousting de Boer so early last season, we gave Pellegrino until March. Who made the better decision?

While I share some of his concerns, I think Jeff is being a little premature in blaming our defeats on Hughes' inability to coach a defence. Can he really be responsible for Cedric heading the ball in the air and then running away from it? Or Hojbjerg deciding to dive when on a yellow card? Now, of course, maybe he can - if he has instilled a bit more cynicism into our play, who's to say he doesn't encourage other forms of, essentially, cheating? And while it seems harsh to blame a manager for the second goal when Vestergaard could have blocked it, the fact our players were so deep MIGHT also be a product of poor coaching.

In fairness to Jeff, he didn't wait for the defeats to start blaming Hughes.

He took us from 17th to 17th, and I have made my decision based on 9 games last season, this pre-season, and this season. Half a season of Hughes will see us relegated.

He took us from 17th to 17th, and I have made my decision based on 9 games last season, this pre-season, and this season. Half a season of Hughes will see us relegated.

17th - 17th given the run in we had was a good achievement. Was he supposed to beat Arsenal away and Chelsea or City at home then to do well in your opinion?

17th - 17th given the run in we had was a good achievement. Was he supposed to beat Arsenal away and Chelsea or City at home then to do well in your opinion?

We collapsed against Chelsea. We were awful against West Ham. We struggled past an utterly appalling Swansea team. We only stayed up because the teams below us were so bad. 2 wins and 8 points in 9 games is relegation form.

UJ was only following the bookies lead which had Hughes in the second position of the Sack race.........I wonder how many clowns put a few quid on that.........I am amazed he was even so high in the running, given that since Cortese left the building we have dilly dallied on pulling the trigger

Personally I don’t get the Hughes bashing, the bloke has done more since he has been here than the last 2 incumbents did since we lost the EFL Cup.

People can prattle on about being 17th when he took over and being 17th when the season ended, if we had stuck it out with the last numpty till the seasons conclusion, that would have been us on Sky tonight playing away at Millwall.

Still I guess it’s the disposable world we live in, if it doesn’t work straight away take it back or throw it out, no point trying to fix it.

UJ had been resolute in his concern about Hughes. It doesn’t matter, even if you don’t agree, he at least has his reasons. Even starting this thread after 3 games, while it seems ridiculous, is at least consistent with his concerns.

However, I don’t think this thread should be bumped after every match, by the pro-Hughes after a win or anti-Hughes after a defeat. It’s predictable but also pointless. Let’s wait until we have 8-10 games on the board, and have a better idea of what kind of season we are in for.

UJ was only following the bookies lead which had Hughes in the second position of the Sack race.........I wonder how many clowns put a few quid on that.........I am amazed he was even so high in the running, given that since Cortese left the building we have dilly dallied on pulling the trigger

Personally I don’t get the Hughes bashing, the bloke has done more since he has been here than the last 2 incumbents did since we lost the EFL Cup.

People can prattle on about being 17th when he took over and being 17th when the season ended, if we had stuck it out with the last numpty till the seasons conclusion, that would have been us on Sky tonight playing away at Millwall.

Still I guess it’s the disposable world we live in, if it doesn’t work straight away take it back or throw it out, no point trying to fix it.

Definitely wasn't following the bookies, I have never wanted him here, since we were potentially appointing him in March.

That's why this thread is certainly not premature.

Definitely wasn't following the bookies, I have never wanted him here, since we were potentially appointing him in March.

Whatever your views on him calling for board to sack him after losing two games 2-1 is fcking stupid just after being given a contract (a show of faith)So totally premature and pathetic whatever your consistent views have been.

Edited by whelk

Implausible Jeff should try looking up 'premature' in a dictionary. If he now wants the team to fail so he can feel good about not wanting Mark Hughes as manager, he should take a close look at whether he is really a supporter of the club.

Whatever your views on him calling for board to sack him after losing two games 2-1 is fcking stupid just after being given a contract so a show of faith. So totally premature and pathetic whatever your consistent views have been.

I didn't create the thread with the thought that the club WOULD sack him though, and we all know no-one cares at the club, but it is my opinion that I want him out based on his time at the club so far.

Following his appointment last season, did we improve our performances? Did those improved performances gain us enough points to stave off relegation? Have our performances this season so far been an improvement on most of the performances under pellegrino last year? The answer to all of those questions is yes.

Following his appointment last season, did we improve our performances? Did those improved performances gain us enough points to stave off relegation? Have our performances this season so far been an improvement on most of the performances under pellegrino last year? The answer to all of those questions is yes.

Correct on all counts

Spot on. Apart from West Ham away, even when we’ve lost we’ve put in a performance.

Thinking back to the Chelsea and Arsenal defeats, we would never have put up that much fight with Pellegrino in charge. We would never have held out against Bournemouth and Swansea like that. Hughes has been a big improvement and continues to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. It’s only those with a pre-defined hatred of Hughes who are unable to accept it. We are far from perfect and there’s many aspects of our play that need improving, but at least under Hughes you feel like more is being done to address our weaknesses and there’s no doubt that the spirit being shown on the pitch by the players is better, and has been even in the games we’ve lost.

There is an easy answer. All go away and don't post on this thread, leave it dormant, to fall away down the forum topic listings.

Until it is really needed. Because as sure as eggs are eggs this thread will be require legitimately, history tells us that premiership managers rarely stay in jobs for more than two years.

So perhaps all go away and come back later on.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think this just shows where the club is right now, very much a middling club, nothing special anymore after the excitement of promotion and not being scared to ‘have ago’ and challenge other teams to being more established and always selling the best players. To compound it, there is no more exciting talent coming through or being given a chance, the same with the manager.

I think this just shows where the club is right now, very much a middling club, nothing special anymore after the excitement of promotion and not being scared to ‘have ago’ and challenge other teams to being more established and always selling the best players. To compound it, there is no more exciting talent coming through or being given a chance, the same with the manager.

Well, I you are implying we are going to settle for mediocrity in one of the hardest leagues in the world, then I would say that this shows ambition from a relatively small club.

So your justification for Hughes is that the performances are better than under Pellegrino. Even though Pellegrino is apparently the worst manager we've ever had as a club?

Not a ringing endorsement is it?

So your justification for Hughes is that the performances are better than under Pellegrino. Even though Pellegrino is apparently the worst manager we've ever had as a club?

Not a ringing endorsement is it?

More that I/we don't have faith in the club being successful with an unusual appointment, added to the fact that given our position in the table, player quality and lack of support/commitment from the owners, we are not likely to attract anything more than average or unproven managers right now anyway.

I think most people found the appointment of Hughes in the first place "uninspiring but probably the only option", and since then have changd to "he's made some improvements, so better the devil you know".

I get that you think that somewhere along the line there are/were better options that also weren't risky, but for the reasons above you can see why people accept Hughes for the time being and are prepared to give him more time.

I have never liked MH as a manager....always found him a bit dour and boring. I have, however, quite taken to him since he has been here....certainly an improvement on the previous two managers, so I am prepared to give him time. Mind you I was accused of issuing a cry for help (for some reason) and being ****ed for questioning the validity of this thread last night....so what do I know....??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The problem with that analogy is that Westergaard functions as a CB - and a pretty good one - while your window would be useless as such.

I have never liked MH as a manager....always found him a bit dour and boring. I have, however, quite taken to him since he has been here....certainly an improvement on the previous two managers, so I am prepared to give him time. Mind you I was accused of issuing a cry for help (for some reason) and being ****ed for questioning the validity of this thread last night....so what do I know....??

dave jones would have been an improvement in the dour and boring stakes.

See, you don't even know what you were being accused of - you still ****ed? Go back and read what you wrote, and what I wrote on this thread and the match thread.

This is the most ridiculous thread I have ever seen on this forum. ****ing lunacy.

Yes, you're right. Its quite amusing though. Its also a good idea why slack-jawed yokels shouldn't run football clubs but should instead restrict their football-related activities to posting random ******** on a forum. The forum has a purpose: therapty and an outlet for idiots. OK, thats two purposes.