Hughes out...

Unbelievable Jeff

Jeez this site should be called Saints f ü č k W I t s

This ain’t buying success delivered by tomorrow on Amazon Prime.

There was nowt wrong with today’s team until we scored, Ryan told them to concentrate but we went into frightened Turtle mode, Leicester changed gear.

Bench did look powder puff, but according to Merrington both Gabbi and Yoshida were going through a vigorous fitness test well before the team came out for the warm up.

Mope same stuff every week - at least Hughes is at least trying something different.

Lke I said elsewhere let’s see September out before building the gallows.

There was nowt wrong with today’s team until we scored, Ryan told them to concentrate but we went into frightened Turtle mode, Leicester changed gear.

Bench did look powder puff, but according to Merrington both Gabbi and Yoshida were going through a vigorous fitness test well before the team came out for the warm up.

Mope same stuff every week - at least Hughes is at least trying something different.

lets see September.....

so basically, another 4 games and we wont be a bunch of f u c k w i t s?

#finemargins

Hughes wasn't to blame as such, biggest mistake he did was take off Ings, should of taken off Long or even Hojberg, lucky last week Lemina didnt get sent off and this week it was Hojberg doing 3-4 bad tackles in the first half alone.

For me you can only justify sacking a manager after signing them to a long term deal if he loses 4 games in a row and we play **** in all 4 with a fully fit or close to fit squad.

Yeah, he's trying something ****ing different every half an hour.

That's the problem...

I was discussing Hughes with a mate and fellow Saints fan, he wasn't keen on getting Hughes long term, with the argument that it wasn't a "Saints appointment", and that we should be looking for an up-and-coming foreign manager, as we have done in the past. I can understand this view and would generally be onside with it, but the problem is that Saints are not currently the attractive proposition they were when Puel and Pellegrino took over.

So the foreign appointment would have to be an even bigger gamble than we might have done in the past - i.e. someone with an even dodgier track record than Puel or Pellegrino. I know this all comes down to scouting, but would you trust the current regime to get it right, given the recent appointments/signings?

Unbelievable Jeff has been consistent in his concern/criticism of Hughes from the start, and I think it's fair to raise the issues he has. However it does feel a bit like he is reluctant to give any credit and only too quick to play the "I told you so" card as soon as anything goes remotely awry. Did he credit with Hughes for us staying up? I'd imagine not, even though I couldn't see us getting those results we did against Bournemouth or Swansea, nor putting in the performances against Everton, Arsenal & Chelsea if Pellegrino had remained. If we finish 10th, you get the feeling that Jeff would just say "we would've finished 7th if Hughes wasn't in charge". I know his counter argument would be "but we won't finish 10th, so that's irrelevant", but it's the difference between someone raising a legitimate point and someone being hellbent on being right (and I say this as someone who also raised concerns about Stoke's defensive problems).

I also raised a concern about Stoke's slow starts to the season under Hughes, and it looks like that's happening with us too. We clearly weren't helped by the decision to go to China, but I still find it frustrating when the team hasn't had as rigorous a pre season as other teams appear to have done.

Yeah, he's trying something ****ing different every half an hour.

That's the problem...

What cobblers.......every half hour!

The last 2 incumbents did eff all by comparison aside from just shuffle the deck chairs and everybody moaned, we have been beaten twice at home now by a team managed by a bloke who was one of the deck chair shufflers and major squad rotators. New Season Ticket sales looked to be falling off a cliff, the club phoned a few long term non renewers, they said I won’t renew while Puel is here 8 weeks after the end of the season Claude gets shown the door, next Charlie into the hot seat has an absolute car crash of a game v Wolves 2nd string in the league cup and continues to re enact the slow motion car crash until one trip through the windscreen too many at Newcastle. Ultimately both of them made tweaks but they were almost indistinguishable from what was not working before........now we have a bloke who is trying to find a formula that works by making noticeable changes and a few numpties don’t like that so 3 games into the season Mark Hughes is crap let’s just chuck him in the bin; oh and have a 3rd ex manger drawing a monthly wage from Saints as we pay off their contracts!

Lets not forget penultimate game of last season playing a game that was pretty much winner takes all to remain sitting at the top table, defender gets a knock the other 2 would have replaced him like for like. Hughes tossed a coin and replaced him with Gabbiadini, not only were Saints fans going blimey, seasoned commentators on the game were also going blimey! And it worked.

When the team was announced at 2pm yesterday I had a quick peek on the Saints Web match thread, quite frankly many comments were pathetic there were people opening up veins with rusty razor blades all over the place. On the whole there was nothing wrong with the team selected through my (obviously stupid eyes) it looked positive. But as I have already said once we scored something in the team changed, we still had the same players on the pitch who were playing probably the best football we have seen for quite a while.

So a question to all the clever clogs on this thread who wish to to lubricate the revolving door spindle, on Wednesday morning after we have stumbled out of the league cup and for once Kruger and Reed actually to something quickly and pull the trigger on Sparky. Who do you suggest Saints employ to steer the club onwards and upwards?

You have rubbed the lantern (and probably something else) and the Football Genie has popped out: Who would you realistically like to be stood in the technical area at Selhurst Park next Saturday afternoon in charge of the team?

You can rip as much of the whatsit out of me and this post as you wish, I don’t care.............even more so if you don’t answer the question.

We all believe that we have the answers. We all have different versions of a best XI, formation, tactics, etc. Truth of the matter, we aren't in training. We would like to think that we could polish the turd and make it shiny. It's still a turd..

The Southampton way is to buy (or train) young players and sell them for higher rates (and repeat). That has worked great....to an extent. For every good buy, we have a bad buy. No one swoops in to buy the players who don't progress. And they stay on high wages. We are always buying to replace. Sometimes we make a great buy (VvD, Mane) and they move on quickly for a huge fee. We have some that come in a do a job for us (Tadic) and move on for a minimum fee. We have guys who come in and play well, get a big wage and fade out (Forster, Long). Now we have a little transfer money but have too many players (some on high wages). We have a ton of players who we can't move on. We can't give some of them away.

Everyone wants to get rid of Hughes? I say, put him on the banner! He willingly came here. We has very little room to bring in players he needs and is limited on wages he can offer. He is handcuffed by the terrible choices of Reed. We are paying ex managers to not coach for us. We are paying high wages for a 3rd keeper.

Hughes is the best we can do/hope for. He is doing his best to polish this turd. But regardless of how shiny he gets it, its still a turd.

I was discussing Hughes with a mate and fellow Saints fan, he wasn't keen on getting Hughes long term, with the argument that it wasn't a "Saints appointment", and that we should be looking for an up-and-coming foreign manager, as we have done in the past. I can understand this view and would generally be onside with it, but the problem is that Saints are not currently the attractive proposition they were when Puel and Pellegrino took over.

So the foreign appointment would have to be an even bigger gamble than we might have done in the past - i.e. someone with an even dodgier track record than Puel or Pellegrino. I know this all comes down to scouting, but would you trust the current regime to get it right, given the recent appointments/signings?

Unbelievable Jeff has been consistent in his concern/criticism of Hughes from the start, and I think it's fair to raise the issues he has. However it does feel a bit like he is reluctant to give any credit and only too quick to play the "I told you so" card as soon as anything goes remotely awry. Did he credit with Hughes for us staying up? I'd imagine not, even though I couldn't see us getting those results we did against Bournemouth or Swansea, nor putting in the performances against Everton, Arsenal & Chelsea if Pellegrino had remained. If we finish 10th, you get the feeling that Jeff would just say "we would've finished 7th if Hughes wasn't in charge". I know his counter argument would be "but we won't finish 10th, so that's irrelevant", but it's the difference between someone raising a legitimate point and someone being hellbent on being right (and I say this as someone who also raised concerns about Stoke's defensive problems).

I also raised a concern about Stoke's slow starts to the season under Hughes, and it looks like that's happening with us too. We clearly weren't helped by the decision to go to China, but I still find it frustrating when the team hasn't had as rigorous a pre season as other teams appear to have done.

I did credit Hughes when we stayed up, but I also think we only stayed up due to the **** below us.

What cobblers.......every half hour!

The last 2 incumbents did eff all by comparison aside from just shuffle the deck chairs and everybody moaned, we have been beaten twice at home now by a team managed by a bloke who was one of the deck chair shufflers and major squad rotators. New Season Ticket sales looked to be falling off a cliff, the club phoned a few long term non renewers, they said I won’t renew while Puel is here 8 weeks after the end of the season Claude gets shown the door, next Charlie into the hot seat has an absolute car crash of a game v Wolves 2nd string in the league cup and continues to re enact the slow motion car crash until one trip through the windscreen too many at Newcastle. Ultimately both of them made tweaks but they were almost indistinguishable from what was not working before........now we have a bloke who is trying to find a formula that works by making noticeable changes and a few numpties don’t like that so 3 games into the season Mark Hughes is crap let’s just chuck him in the bin; oh and have a 3rd ex manger drawing a monthly wage from Saints as we pay off their contracts!

Lets not forget penultimate game of last season playing a game that was pretty much winner takes all to remain sitting at the top table, defender gets a knock the other 2 would have replaced him like for like. Hughes tossed a coin and replaced him with Gabbiadini, not only were Saints fans going blimey, seasoned commentators on the game were also going blimey! And it worked.

When the team was announced at 2pm yesterday I had a quick peek on the Saints Web match thread, quite frankly many comments were pathetic there were people opening up veins with rusty razor blades all over the place. On the whole there was nothing wrong with the team selected through my (obviously stupid eyes) it looked positive. But as I have already said once we scored something in the team changed, we still had the same players on the pitch who were playing probably the best football we have seen for quite a while.

So a question to all the clever clogs on this thread who wish to to lubricate the revolving door spindle, on Wednesday morning after we have stumbled out of the league cup and for once Kruger and Reed actually to something quickly and pull the trigger on Sparky. Who do you suggest Saints employ to steer the club onwards and upwards?

You have rubbed the lantern (and probably something else) and the Football Genie has popped out: Who would you realistically like to be stood in the technical area at Selhurst Park next Saturday afternoon in charge of the team?

You can rip as much of the whatsit out of me and this post as you wish, I don’t care.............even more so if you don’t answer the question.

Brendan? Chuck a decent amount of money at him and he'll come.

The half hour comment was tongue in cheek. The issue is Hughes has no tactical nous, spent pre-season trying a formation that lasted 60 minutes until it was abandoned as we were taken apart by Burnley, and has done nothing to either halt our defensive malaise or improve our striking issues.

but the problem is that Saints are not currently the attractive proposition they were when Puel and Pellegrino took over..

disagree with this, we are fine for a manager looking to get a job in the premier league, unless they of the caliber of klopp pep or sarri the manager isnt gonna walk into a big club so will be left with the rest and the only vacancies that open will be the teams that dont start great. if leeds can attract bielsa why are we so unnatractive?

disagree with this, we are fine for a manager looking to get a job in the premier league, unless they of the caliber of klopp pep or sarri the manager isnt gonna walk into a big club so will be left with the rest and the only vacancies that open will be the teams that dont start great. if leeds can attract bielsa why are we so unnatractive?

We only ever go for managers out of work.

Big sam it is

Watching the Man City documentary you get insight into Pep and how much effort goes into tactics to make sure create opportunities. Obviously having world class players helps but Hughes seems more old school and the game moves on.

Having said that fcking stupid calling for the sack so soon

Hughes has NO INTEREST in developing young players (or the ability to). He has no track record for this. Our long term strategy is developing players and selling them at a high price. Hughes doesn’t fit this model. Fans know it’s an uncomfortable fit which is why he’ll get less patience from them than other managers.

We need to go back to having a clear style/formation and desire to give young players a chance. I’d rather this be an up and coming manager from the lower leagues. I don’t care if people think it’s a cheap option.

Quite a few managers that have come up from the championship have stayed up and competed well: Wagner, Howe, Dyce, Hughton (arguable). Potential Wolves and Fulham this year. Yet people think it’s a cheap option. Who cares! We are happy to gamble on foreign managers why not a lower league manager?

At Fulham Matt Targett gave Ryan Sessegnon freedom to shine. Why not put Bertrand in left midfield with Targett behind and see what happens. Can't be worse than we have surely.

Sam Gallagher is perfect to be a target man and I can see him as replacement for Austin. He is quicker and with games I am sure would flourish.

Why can't Yoshi and Bednarek get a chance to play. Both could help Jannik out.

Yesterday we saw Lemina put in a shift which just may show he is back in form.

As for sacking Hughes. What is the sense in that? If we have to get rid of him we will surely know more by November or December. By then he will have shown whether he can do a good enough job for us. Get shot but have a younger hungrier man. As has been said previously there are good young managers around in the lower leagues and some have played well in our division.

Finding the right man is not always easy and we have maybe missed a chance when letting some of our ex Saints players leave the coaching staff. There are managers that began life coaching youngsters. They have a better idea of the youngsters' capabilities.

Mr Southampton started as a player and stayed for decades before handing the reins over to Big Mac. I am not saying we have a Ted Bates in our academy but we might have had. We are supposedly a club that pushes our youngsters forward and who better than the men that have got them to the fringes of the first team.

Not from me. I've been calling out Reed since day 1. Guy is a loser and always will be.

Stickin a hockey coach besides him doesn't help much either.

Hughes was never my no.1 choice but with Les Reed picking his replacement it's too much of a gamble.

Btw its smacks of the same start of the season as last . We are nowhere near getting a finish above where we finished last year, already it looks like another struggle and we havent played anyone big yet.

Same as last few seasons. We need to stop selling the assets to other clubs surley Reed and Kruger must see it ?....Liverpool have given us nearly £180 odd million and what have we got to show for it?

Dose Hughes have an idea of whats the best starting 11?...and if so whens he going to implement it?....btw just 1 home win since febuary wow just simply not good enough. Exasperating that we find ourselves in the same situation yet again and so early on.

To blame Hughes is too simplistic, this club has been in decline for a while now with poor management appointments, poor player recruiting, cashing in far too quickly and too often, Kat selling out to a seemingly unambitious owner and him allowing the same old clowns to still run the show.

Just one big fekin mess with no sign of improvement and just a downward spiral.

To blame Hughes is too simplistic, this club has been in decline for a while now with poor management appointments, poor player recruiting, cashing in far too quickly and too often, Kat selling out to a seemingly unambitious owner and him allowing the same old clowns to still run the show.

Just one big fekin mess with no sign of improvement and just a downward spiral.

That's the point. The general trend, in pretty much all respects, is down and that's the worry. Even Captain Edward J. Smith could probably see what's coming.

Hughes wasn't to blame as such, biggest mistake he did was take off Ings, should of taken off Long or even Hojberg, lucky last week Lemina didnt get sent off and this week it was Hojberg doing 3-4 bad tackles in the first half alone.

For me you can only justify sacking a manager after signing them to a long term deal if he loses 4 games in a row and we play **** in all 4 with a fully fit or close to fit squad.

The mistake wasn't taking Ings off. Ings was poor yesterday.

The mistake was putting Austin on. Should have put Armstrong or JWP on and reinforced midfield.

The problem is the team and has been for 2 seasons, No spine no leaders on the pitch the over reliance on players who quite frankly are bang average or are not up to this level how can the board not get this?

You need goals to win games so let's see who we have up top...

Charlie Austin after 20 minutes he is like a cart horse,

Shane Long runs around but offers no threat in fact the man couldn't finish dinner let alone a football. Should of been upgraded and sold ages ago....

Gabba technically our best player on a different level to what we have currently. The constant clever runs etc, it's a shame we do not have anyone capable of playing with him or are willing to give him some games.....

Ings jury is still out give me 10 games at least....

But what do you need to create goals? Creative players....

Oh we have just sold our best player in this area to Ajax.... Who else can assist at a level that will keep us in the league let alone mid table......

What about threats?

Redmond the next Henry what has he done for two seasons?

Sims a player not afraid to run and take people on let's loan him out..... What

A stupid baffling decision that is.....

Hoijberg average....

Ward Prowse overrated no final end product....

I'm not going to even start with the defence that is a shambles... Jack stephens....

So yeah give Hughes some credit look at the toilet he has to work with!

Fans want mid table get in the real world this team is lower league at best...

I hope the original poster got his bed sheets dry this morning in this awful weather!

See, I find this whole bed-wetting stuff strange - it makes me think you just don't care enough about the club.

If you have recognised that someone is not capable of managing your club, I would suggest that outlining this, as I have consistently over the last 6 months, is worth doing. It may create a consensus - and there seems to be a lot of support considering "it's only been 3 games - blah blah".

This first 7 games we needed a lot of good results - if we have Hughes for these 7 games we will be in deep ****.

You can apologise to me later.

I think Hughes has enough to ensure we stay up, which ultimately is the main objective for the Board and owner.

If we stay up with the lowest outlay possible then profits remain good.

I know you're trotting out one of your three repeat posts, but finishing 17th, as opposed to 8th represents a near on 20% reduction in central funds. That degree of drop in turnover is a commercial disaster. It's nonsens to say we target mere survival.

Hughes has NO INTEREST in developing young players (or the ability to). He has no track record for this. Our long term strategy is developing players and selling them at a high price. Hughes doesn’t fit this model. Fans know it’s an uncomfortable fit which is why he’ll get less patience from them than other managers.

We need to go back to having a clear style/formation and desire to give young players a chance. I’d rather this be an up and coming manager from the lower leagues. I don’t care if people think it’s a cheap option.

Quite a few managers that have come up from the championship have stayed up and competed well: Wagner, Howe, Dyce, Hughton (arguable). Potential Wolves and Fulham this year. Yet people think it’s a cheap option. Who cares! We are happy to gamble on foreign managers why not a lower league manager?

but we haven't produced any young players to sell for years. If we had a Wallcott in the reserves he would be in the side, but we haven't, they go out on loan and aren't good enough to get into Championship teams. The poicy relys on having good scouts and coaches and it seems o me we haven't any. No doubt they are just yes men to Les and that keeps their jobs

I assume you didn't blame Pellegrino either then?

Why do you assume that?

I blamed Pellegrino for the way he played. Hughes has at least entertained. There is some aggression and hunger in the team, but we miss our still-to-be-replaced 70m cb.

Way too early for this nonsense. It's clear MH does not know the best starting eleven at the moment. He hasn't had that many competitive games to figure it out in fairness, although the selections of Austin and Long in particular would show a worrying stubbornness if it continues. It's not all doom & gloom, we have played well in two halves of football out of six, against established PL teams. Not great but we've not been battered as yet and we can build on that. To suggest that last seasons shambles can be turned around at the drop of a hat is fantasy, regardless of how much money is spent. On the positive side, Ings looks decent for the most part, Lemina and Redmond putting in shifts which they weren't last season, Hoj Ok until his act of madness, Armstrong looked good pre-season and needs to play, Vest will improve with experience. If Maguire had shanked his shot wide and we got the draw the mood would be different. We will beat Palace next weekend and all will be well.

We have some serious weaknesses in the team though which need to be addressed, notably in defense. Cedric, Hoedt and Stephens either aren't good enough or not being coached properly and we need to invest in that department. If we don't we are in for another long hard season regardless of who sits in the dugout.

Way too early for this nonsense. It's clear MH does not know the best starting eleven at the moment.

Why do people always come out with this pony. It’s on a par with this “lost the dressing room” nonsense fans come out with.

He knows his keeper, his full backs stay the same, he picks Wes every game and the new fella missed Everton because of illness otherwise he’d play. Redmond plays every game, Ings has started apart from the first game when he’d only been at the club 24 hours, Lemina has played every game. That’s 8 players that are cast iron certainties to play. So let’s look at the other 3 spots. I’ve no doubt Romeu is the one he wanted in there, started first two games but was so woeful at Everton he deserved to be dropped against Leicester . How on earth is deservedly dropping a poor player “ not knowing your best side”. Then there’s Armstrong/ Elyounoussi both of which have suffered injuries, which maybe opened the door for JWP, had Elyounoussi been fit at Everton he’d probably have played. That leaves the CF position, again he’s started with Austin twice, but the guy didn’t deserve to be in the third game.

What exactly do you want Hughes to do, pick his starting 11 first week and despite only picking up one point, stick to it. Anyone would think he’d been chopping and changing for the sake of it. Injuries aside he’s dropped Romeu & Austin, and Stephens has come out as we’ve changed formation. FFS I’d say our selections have been pretty consistent and he knows his best 11 as much as any other manager in the league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I certainly want to see Hughes and his coaches get the team more organized and disciplined with a game plan from start to the final whistle.

Individual player ability is the main ingredient, but i think a manager who can get the best of his players sees winning games.

Why do you think it is a joke?

Because if I replaced my missing window pane with chipboard, one (yes, you) could legitimately argue that I had replaced my window.

I would argue that there is a distinction between replacement and substitution.