Hughes out...

Unbelievable Jeff

See, you don't even know what you were being accused of - you still ****ed? Go back and read what you wrote, and what I wrote on this thread and the match thread.
That's O.K. Mr Angry. You carry on...."I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today."

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by miserableoldgit

That's O.K. Mr Angry. You carry on...."I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today."

Angry? What an odd way to interpret what I've written - nothing angry in that post whatsoever, language or otherwise?

As others have said, you're obviously struggling a bit at the moment. May I suggest heavy drinking is not going to help/solve that.

Angry? What an odd way to interpret what I've written - nothing angry in that post whatsoever, language or otherwise?

As others have said, you're obviously struggling a bit at the moment. May I suggest heavy drinking is not going to help/solve that.

For heavens sake, hug it out. There's more that unites us than divides us.

Oh I love the way this place works.....I made a comment questioning UJ's postings on this thread. I was asked for some reason if I was OK or was it a cry for help (???). I responded by saying that I was perfectly well and had just enjoyed a very nice pizza and a couple of glasses of Argentian Malbec. Now it appears that I am permanently ****ed and have a drink problem... [emoji1787][emoji1787] Oh you little tinkers....you do make me laugh!!

Edited by miserableoldgit

In all seriousness, Hughes is a massive improvement on the last two years and has a lot of rot to overturn.

IMO, it is madness to call for him out after he kept us up last year and has made progress with the squad and performances this year. Surely?

In all seriousness, Hughes is a massive improvement on the last two years and has a lot of rot to overturn.

IMO, it is madness to call for him out after he kept us up last year and has made progress with the squad and performances this year. Surely?

I will continue to make the same points as I have done.

- Even if the football has improved (which it has), the defence looks worse.

- He has one win this season from 4 winnable games.

- The form at the end of last season was less than the PPG achieved by MP.

- His goals against was far worse.

- He spent the whole of pre-season implementing a formation he abandoned 50 minutes into the first game.

- We beat Palace at the weekend, but it certainly wasn't convincing and we were holding on. Alex McCarthy was MOTM. Palace have 0 points from all 10 games they have played without Zaha.

- Our only other point came against Burnley, who are awful this season - and they battered us for most of the games.

One swallow does not make a Summer. Fingers crossed the wins will breed confidence, but I am not convinced.

This place becomes almost unreadable with all of the points scoring going on between people I really don't know or care about. Nice to see a couple of comments on Hughes again.

I think it's still early to get a big picture, positive or negative, but we certainly haven't seen enough to call for his sacking.

I think probably 10 games in will be a fair time to give a view on whether or not he's going to be okay for us. And i think if we have less than 10 points then it will possibly be a no. But hey, if there are signs of life in the team, and the footie is good, and we've just been unlucky, then maybe not. If we have been terrible but won, then I suspect we might not give much of a toss

I think probably 10 games in will be a fair time to give a view on whether or not he's going to be okay for us. And i think if we have less than 10 points then it will possibly be a no. But hey, if there are signs of life in the team, and the footie is good, and we've just been unlucky, then maybe not. If we have been terrible but won, then I suspect we might not give much of a toss

See, the way I'm looking at this is that it's after 13 games and a whole pre-season. We have 12 points from those 13 games, and we have played less than our proportion of top 6 teams (we've played 3 games, compared to an expected 4).

- Even if the football has improved (which it has), the defence looks worse.

- He has one win this season from 4 winnable games.

- The form at the end of last season was less than the PPG achieved by MP.

- His goals against was far worse.

- He spent the whole of pre-season implementing a formation he abandoned 50 minutes into the first game.

- We beat Palace at the weekend, but it certainly wasn't convincing and we were holding on. Alex McCarthy was MOTM. Palace have 0 points from all 10 games they have played without Zaha.

- Our only other point came against Burnley, who are awful this season - and they battered us for most of the games.

One swallow does not make a Summer. Fingers crossed the wins will breed confidence, but I am not convinced.

His ppg was marginally higher than MP but not by much.

- Even if the football has improved (which it has), the defence looks worse. Is this not a product of having a more attacking mindset? I agree that our defence is shaky, but under Pellegrino the entire focus was about being hard to beat, yet we still conded goals.

- He has one win this season from 4 winnable games. Agreed, not good enough.

- The form at the end of last season was less than the PPG achieved by MP. This might be a true statistic but very misleading. We narrowly (and arguably unluckily) lost to Arsenal, Chelsea & City, then we drew 2 away games and won 2 home games. West Ham was a disaster, but seemed to act like a wake up call. There were lots of positives from those games and we stayed up. You might not like Hughes but I'd be surprised if you genuinely thought Pellegrino would have done better.

- His goals against was far worse. As per first point, is that not because we are actually trying to score as well?

- He spent the whole of pre-season implementing a formation he abandoned 50 minutes into the first game. Agreed, strange. Team selections have also been a little odd (though also sometimes vindicated)

- We beat Palace at the weekend, but it certainly wasn't convincing and we were holding on. Alex McCarthy was MOTM. Palace have 0 points from all 10 games they have played without Zaha. Agree that Zaha missing made it a lot easier, and we shouldn't be seeing that win as a sign that everything is rosy. But we don't have much quality, there won't be many 'convincing' wins this season. Football is won and lost at the margins. Is the penalty miss Hughes' fault? Because that would have made things more comfortable. Also, Hodgson said we were the better team and deserved to win. When the opposition manager says that you know there must be some truth in it.

- Our only other point came against Burnley, who are awful this season - and they battered us for most of the games. Agreed - kind of the same as the "one win from 4 winnable games" point though.

I'm not convinced about Hughes yet, but just my take on those specific points. I realise that "being better than Pellegrino" shouldn't be a yardstick, but on some of the points you make that comparison so I have too.

Last season MH had a job to do and that was to prevent a team on a downward trajectory from being relegated. He managed that by a relatively comfortable margin in the end, and I don't think that any manager would have done much more given the low confidence and negative playing style that we had developed since Koeman left.

IMO this season he has a different challenge - to take us to a secure mid-table finish and to be competitive against as many teams as possible in the league. In the first four matches, we have looked like we might be able to achieve that. The first 60 mins against Burnely were a mess because the team shape was wrong but he's learnt from that and since then we have been competitive, without necessarily winning. It looks to me as though the trajectory of the team is turning from negative to positive so there are reasons to be positive. At some point in the future things will go bad again and it might be time to resurrect this thread, possibly for some of the original reasons given, but not at the moment.

Last season MH had a job to do and that was to prevent a team on a downward trajectory from being relegated. He managed that by a relatively comfortable margin in the end, and I don't think that any manager would have done much more given the low confidence and negative playing style that we had developed since Koeman left.

IMO this season he has a different challenge - to take us to a secure mid-table finish and to be competitive against as many teams as possible in the league. In the first four matches, we have looked like we might be able to achieve that. The first 60 mins against Burnely were a mess because the team shape was wrong but he's learnt from that and since then we have been competitive, without necessarily winning. It looks to me as though the trajectory of the team is turning from negative to positive so there are reasons to be positive. At some point in the future things will go bad again and it might be time to resurrect this thread, possibly for some of the original reasons given, but not at the moment.

Tend to agree - it's all about that damn momentum curve. Sometimes we will be good other times we wont, the ups and downs of modern football, that all teams go through in some way shape or form.

Personally I think it was a brave decision to take us on last year, could so easily have gone wrong for him, so based on that alone I was more than happy for him to be given the chance. Tend to agree with you, take out the first hour against Burnley and we don't look to bad, certainly better than last season.