The Issue of St Mary’s

LGTL

Having read this thread, I think the problems with the fan base are pretty easy to sort out really. SFC fans must:

Be single - no wives or girlfriends.

Be older than 17 - no kids or chavvy youths.

Be younger than 30 - no overage geriatrics or pensioners.

Be male - no females. Football is no place for ladies.

Be able to sing non stop for 90 minutes - no passive 'clapper' personalities allowed.

Be able to drink 3 pints in 15 minutes - coz it's what proper football geezers do.

Be members of the SWF - gotta be able to collectively slag the players, club, board after the game.

Once we have narrowed our fan base down to that, the atmosphere will return and everybody will be happy.

Does anybody know if anti aging cream actually works?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The romantic ideal of any competition is that you are in it to win it but quite evidently at least 14 clubs including us are just making up the numbers in the PL. In the Championship for example you can win it and there's the goal and incentive that players and fans need. In the PL there is nothing, it is hard for anybody to get excited about finishing 7th, squabbling over that 'honour' with the likes of Leicester, Everton & Burnley!

Is that the Leicester that won it 2 seasons ago, or a different one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having read this thread, I think the problems with the fan base are pretty easy to sort out really. SFC fans must:

Be single - no wives or girlfriends.

Be older than 17 - no kids or chavvy youths.

Be younger than 30 - no overage geriatrics or pensioners.

Be male - no females. Football is no place for ladies.

Be able to sing non stop for 90 minutes - no passive 'clapper' personalities allowed.

Be able to drink 3 pints in 15 minutes - coz it's what proper football geezers do.

Be members of the SWF - gotta be able to collectively slag the players, club, board after the game.

Once we have narrowed our fan base down to that, the atmosphere will return and everybody will be happy.

Does anybody know if anti ageing cream actually works?

Very good summary but highlighted bit is a little wide of the mark as most of the club/player/anything SFC bashers on here go to very few games

Most grounds are poor these days. That's what seating and ticket pricing has done. Watch Liverpool on the TV and you can hear the players shouting to each other at times. i don't think that's ever coming back unless they introduce cheap tickets and safe standing.

Fans have changed. Their expectations are different. When I was a kid you got let in, yelled your head off, had a dodgy pie in the rain and went home. Now they want craft beers and decent wifi. Not better or worse. Just different.

Mostly we are grumbling cos for the last two seasons we have been crap. Under Koeman and Poch I felt we could give anyone a game and potentially win. That died under Puel and MP. And then we finally succumbed to the thing all struggling PL sides do . We went for one of the managers off the merry go round.

Winning games boosts the atmosphere and silences the opposition. We just aren't good enough to do it.

That is a cheap and silly reply, you know exactly what I mean.

Leicester winning the league is, ironically, probably the worst thing that could've happened. Not only has it meant that the top clubs have lifted up the drawbridge, thrown their weight around in cash and started questioning tv deals/rights, but it's also re-affirmed some people's confirmation biases about us.

We shot ourselves in the foot when we spoke about Champions League football, you had a generation of fans who'd grown up with relative success from league one onwards, who'd heard talk of Champions League, and seen us come a whisker away from it. They believed what had been said because they didn't have the basis of history many of us do.

To most people that have been doing this a long time it's plainly obvious that Leicester wasn't the beginning of something different in football, it was the end of a period where the big/rich clubs had become complacent and taken their eyes off the ball. I'd argue the beginning of that end actually came with our own, limited success, we threatened their status quo, so they signed all our players.

Leicester than shattered that status quo, so they all signed even more players.

The reality we have now in the premier league is the new normal. And lets not lie, that normal is that for 14 or so of the teams in the league the end game is ultimately relegation.

We are absolutely no different in that regard.

That's why my thinking on football has substantially shifted. I know that the reality is it's a matter of time before we go down again, so the league has kind of stopped being important to me.

What's important now is that given we're in this world where we know it's a matter of when, not if, we go down, then i want us to use the time we have in the top flight to try and win a cup. Because that's all the success we'll ever experience.

Depressing i know, but it's the reality of football unless a european super league happens, or the money stops.

Good subject and some good posts.

I agree with a lot that say that the game has changed forever and i5 does seem very strange that we enter a competition with zero chance of competing and winning. I still go to spend time with buddies and almost in spite of the footie. We have the conversation about should we stay or should we go many more times these days.

I’m caught as a fan between wanting the fairer competition of the championship where we would have chance of winning ( however small it might be after relegation) and feeling like you have to be in the PL because that’s where it’s supposed to be great.

I do believe that the model is unsustainable and that a super euro league can’t be far away as the bigger teams outside PL also want the big tv money. I wonder how this would change EPL if this does go ahead. It would affect the 14 other clubs and the championship sides I guess.

Leicester winning the league is, ironically, probably the worst thing that could've happened. Not only has it meant that the top clubs have lifted up the drawbridge, thrown their weight around in cash and started questioning tv deals/rights, but it's also re-affirmed some people's confirmation biases about us.

We shot ourselves in the foot when we spoke about Champions League football, you had a generation of fans who'd grown up with relative success from league one onwards, who'd heard talk of Champions League, and seen us come a whisker away from it. They believed what had been said because they didn't have the basis of history many of us do.

To most people that have been doing this a long time it's plainly obvious that Leicester wasn't the beginning of something different in football, it was the end of a period where the big/rich clubs had become complacent and taken their eyes off the ball. I'd argue the beginning of that end actually came with our own, limited success, we threatened their status quo, so they signed all our players.

The reality we have now in the premier league is the new normal. And lets not lie, that normal is that for 14 or so of the teams in the league the end game is ultimately relegation.

That's why my thinking on football has substantially shifted. I know that the reality is it's a matter of time before we go down again, so the league has kind of stopped being important to me.

What's important now is that given we're in this world where we know it's a matter of when, not if, we go down, then i want us to use the time we have in the top flight to try and win a cup. Because that's all the success we'll ever experience.

Depressing i know, but it's the reality of football unless a european super league happens, or the money stops.

This is absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned. I honestly think that if you are a fan of a certain age, it's probably easier to understand and appreciate where we are right now, and easier to take the disappointments as well. We'll have the odd success here and there, we will be relegated again, but unless we are taken over by some sugar daddy, we'll pretty much yo yo around lower prem, upper championship.

This is absolutely spot on as far as I'm concerned. I honestly think that if you are a fan of a certain age, it's probably easier to understand and appreciate where we are right now, and easier to take the disappointments as well. We'll have the odd success here and there, we will be relegated again, but unless we are taken over by some sugar daddy, we'll pretty much yo yo around lower prem, upper championship.

I started watching in 67 and whilst performance, winning things and yo yo ing between leagues may appear the same the enjoyment and feeling of going to games and having hope are very different now. As people have said the PL has sucked the life out of a lot of teams and indeed fans are now customers and as stats showed the other day at a lot of ground they appear to make little difference to the financial success or not.

I still love the saints and always will but it’s a very different saints now compared to the club I fell in love with

...4f60df6ab2591ab37e86243567c3f9ae.jpg