Demoralised fanbase again

OldNick

Our fanbase is back to the demoralised way it was before our decline down the leagues. When we had our rise, the club had a winning mentality, we as fans had positive expectations when we were at a game.

Compare us to the Cherries, their fans know if they are losing they will get back , we are winning and expect to draw or lose.

I believe t all stems from the clubs policy of selling our best players and that must have an effect on the squad as well as the fans.

So is this about our fans (who are no different to the majority of other clubs fans), or about selling players (who other clubs of our stature would've had to sell as well)?

3 games in. I hope the players have more resolution than some of our fans.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Edited by Micky

People are demoralised because they expected us to be a regular top 10 club. However, the recent years were a bonus, or golden time. In the 1990's we were a club that fought to stay in the top league. Before being relegated we had been on an unbroken 26 year run in the top division. This was an amazing accomplishment and it was worth preserving. Therefore it was just as exciting and satisfying finishing just above the relegation zone.

We should aim to recapture that spirit and enjoy the drama of 'staying up'. At the moment we are 17th, but with a win we could rise to lower mid table, 14th even ! Remember, there are a lot of clubs in the leagues below that would aspire to our Premier league status and relish the idea of a season fighting 'to stay up'

So is this about our fans (who are no different to the majority of other clubs fans), or about selling players (who other clubs of our stature would've had to sell as well)?

No club in our position has had to or have since sold the amount of their best players in the time frame we have

None.

At the same time, we have what.... the 6th most expensive ticket prices or something. WTF!

Edited by Batman

No club in our position has had to or have since sold the amount of their best players in the time frame we have

None.

At the same time, we have what.... the 6th most expensive ticket prices or something. WTF!

Can’t think of many clubs with our poor home form either.

it is just the feeling I have that as a fanbase weve been kicked and kicked and it is bound to have a negative effect. it is not about 3 games it is about 3 seasons. Since the club let Koeman go and showed no ambition we have had to endure our heroes sold and the winning mentality of the club recede.

I am not against Hughes, he has got a poor squad and has to do what he can, but when we are winning we know we are going to concede, wheras Bournemouth go behind and they know that they probably will get something. Therefore they are more positive whatever wheras we are likely to be more negative

it is just the feeling I have that as a fanbase weve been kicked and kicked and it is bound to have a negative effect. it is not about 3 games it is about 3 seasons. Since the club let Koeman go and showed no ambition we have had to endure our heroes sold and the winning mentality of the club recede.

I am not against Hughes, he has got a poor squad and has to do what he can, but when we are winning we know we are going to concede, wheras Bournemouth go behind and they know that they probably will get something. Therefore they are more positive whatever wheras we are likely to be more negative

Les and Ralph’s strategy that Gao has apparently “fallen in love with” has dragged us down below Bournemouth and Brighton.

It was on the cards 18 months ago, now it has happened.

When les scoffed at signing £25m level players it signaled that our relegation (under his tenure) is not that far away.

I understand that players will want to go and it is impossible to keep them but we have made it easy.

It is great selling a player for 75m but the whole policy is useless if you then waste more by poor purchases like Osvaldo, Ramirez, Boufal etc that have set us back to zero.

Wilson is obviously a poor judge of a player and so he wastes more than he gains

Successive seasons of the club not only selling our best players, but selling them to the very same clubs they were telling us we were trying to get above, will do that to a fan base.

Fans are sick of being taken for a ride by a club that are more interested in being net spend winners than actually winning games of football.

And even if by some miracle the club managed to actually sign some decent players again and we flirted with the top 6. Those clubs would do exactly the same and take our best players to make sure we stay away from their mini league.

Without major investment we will just be a club that exists, with zero ambitions of ever bettering ourselves.

With Adkins/Mopo, Cortese and Mitchell we built amazing amazing momentum and feel good in/out of the club. The club was genuinely going somewhere and us fans were loving it. Beating the top 6, England internationals, good football, people were talking about Saints and neutrals loved us.

It all went wrong once Cortese left.... Sure momentum carried us for a couple seasons but our destiny was obvious.

Les Reed should never have got the job and together with Kat completely killed the squad the hope and most probably the next generation of fans.

If this was Leslie's 5 year plan :mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

With Adkins/Mopo, Cortese and Mitchell we built amazing amazing momentum and feel good in/out of the club. The club was genuinely going somewhere and us fans were loving it. Beating the top 6, England internationals, good football, people were talking about Saints and neutrals loved us.

It all went wrong once Cortese left.... Sure momentum carried us for a couple seasons but our destiny was obvious.

Les Reed should never have got the job and together with Kat completely killed the squad the hope and most probably the next generation of fans.

Totally spot on.

I think our home and away support is pretty good considering the amount of goals we score.

I was thinking only this morning how many times we have scored more than one goal a game and I could only think of Bournemouth and Arsenal.

Then I tried to remember the last time we tonked someone ha ha.

Successive seasons of the club not only selling our best players, but selling them to the very same clubs they were telling us we were trying to get above, will do that to a fan base.

Fans are sick of being taken for a ride by a club that are more interested in being net spend winners than actually winning games of football.

And even if by some miracle the club managed to actually sign some decent players again and we flirted with the top 6. Those clubs would do exactly the same and take our best players to make sure we stay away from their mini league.

Without major investment we will just be a club that exists, with zero ambitions of ever bettering ourselves.

Hang on, we are premier league club. Whilst we retain that status do we not have something to be proud of?

Our fanbase is back to the demoralised way it was before our decline down the leagues. When we had our rise, the club had a winning mentality, we as fans had positive expectations when we were at a game.

Compare us to the Cherries, their fans know if they are losing they will get back , we are winning and expect to draw or lose.

I believe t all stems from the clubs policy of selling our best players and that must have an effect on the squad as well as the fans.

Actually when I am at the matches the people around me are generally upbeat but then when I come on here I get a totally different vibe !

The usual suspects, most of whom never attend games, still see fit to start endless threads of 'Hughes out', 'Reed out' etc.. etc.. and everything seems to be neatly tailored to demean the club !

Now that is demoralising !!

Actually when I am at the matches the people around me are generally upbeat but then when I come on here I get a totally different vibe !

The usual suspects, most of whom never attend games, still see fit to start endless threads of 'Hughes out', 'Reed out' etc.. etc.. and everything seems to be neatly tailored to demean the club !

Now that is demoralising !!

Another poster posting about other posters....yawn

If you're upbeat and think we should all be upbeat tell us why? Help us

I'm personally desperate to be positive about Saints....give me all the upbeat you have.

It's the squad which needs major surgery....

Charlie Austin, Shane Long, Redmond..... Will these players get you goals?

What about assists?

We sold our most creative player to Ajax....

Just properly look at our squad problem is fans have unrealistic expectations .... Our team is pretty poor to many big standard average players like Stephens, Ward Prowse, Long, Davis...

It's very hard for the fans to jump on side when you witness the same crap as you've sat through for 2 previous seasons. For any season ticket holder over the last 2 seasons, in my opinion, we deserve some sort of loyalty discount. A season payment back would just about cover it. It's been kind of like throwing money up in the air and not getting anything for it. A right old waste of a saturday, but we still go.

Although the regulars around me are no longer going, lots of single game folk there now. (maybe it was something i said).

No mention of Koeman then ? When we actually did better without those names you mention.

Its actually when Koeman left the problems started and ive not seen a regular organized team since then.

He and his coaches got the best out of the players.

Players that wanted to earn more money then left and were not replaced 'like for like' and thats gone on for a number of seasons, which brings us to the situation we are now seeing.

Two seasons of dull football from being on a high for three seasons has rightly drained the fans.

You have got the club you deserve

Most of you lot of never stop whinging and moaning. If it’s not the team it’s the board, not the board it’s the manager, not the manager it’s the half time refreshments, PA system, queues for beers.

Griffi is right, we have the most pathetic, softest, passionless fans in the country. Most people that go to games sit there in silence politely applauding. Others spend the entire game whinging and slagging players off. Only a handful actually get behind the team and give them any support. Look at the treatment of Pelle, quality striker for £8m capable of 15 goals a season, no mean feat i the premier league. Yet he was slagged off,

Ironically cheered, said he was lazy and flounced around, hibernated between October and March, as soon as he went he becuae exactly the sort of player we needed ???

In truth last season was the first time anyone has had anything to complain about. People moan about Puel but the fact of the matter was it was on paper it one of our best seasons ever, 8th places finish, cup final, trip to Wembley, the San Siro, Prague and Israel all done playing half the season without our best defender and striker. Yet still people *****ed and moaned and wanted Puel out after only a few games because they didnt like his interviews. ???

You many have a right to moan now but reading this forum and going to matches it seems like a lot of you wanted this anyway so you could be proven right about Kruger and Reed. All we’ve heard for the last 4 years, even in Some of the best times this club has ever had, is how useless they are and it’s all going to come crashing down, well now it is, so you should all be pleased. You warned about it and you deserve it. Most of you don’t deserve a successful club. You ain’t saints fans you’re football consumers.

Most of you lot of never stop whinging and moaning. If it’s not the team it’s the board, not the board it’s the manager, not the manager it’s the half time refreshments, PA system, queues for beers.

Griffi is right, we have the most pathetic, softest, passionless fans in the country. Most people that go to games sit there in silence politely applauding. Others spend the entire game whinging and slagging players off. Only a handful actually get behind the team and give them any support. Look at the treatment of Pelle, quality striker for £8m capable of 15 goals a season, no mean feat i the premier league. Yet he was slagged off,

Ironically cheered, said he was lazy and flounced around, hibernated between October and March, as soon as he went he becuae exactly the sort of player we needed ������

In truth last season was the first time anyone has had anything to complain about. People moan about Puel but the fact of the matter was it was on paper it one of our best seasons ever, 8th places finish, cup final, trip to Wembley, the San Siro, Prague and Israel all done playing half the season without our best defender and striker. Yet still people *****ed and moaned and wanted Puel out after only a few games because they didnt like his interviews. ������

You many have a right to moan now but reading this forum and going to matches it seems like a lot of you wanted this anyway so you could be proven right about Kruger and Reed. All we’ve heard for the last 4 years, even in Some of the best times this club has ever had, is how useless they are and it’s all going to come crashing down, well now it is, so you should all be pleased. You warned about it and you deserve it. Most of you don’t deserve a successful club. You ain’t saints fans you’re football consumers.

Didn’t you also want Puel out halfway through the season -at a time when we were still challenging for the league cup etc?

Didn’t you also want Puel out halfway through the season -at a time when we were still challenging for the league cup etc?

No, I thought Puel should have got another season. As I know in the past you’ve spent hours searching through my posts across this and other forums to try and prove a point I’ll caveat that by saying it is possible that I may have had a rant about him after one or two games so there may be a post or two that says that. But there are plenty of others where I say we should stick with him for another year and that was and still is my view.

As for heisingberg, I’m not saying it’s the fans fault I’m saying they’ve got what they deserve. As you’re the one who used to “hilariously” nickname Pochetino “Pinocchio” and often use his win percentage as a stick to beat him with (under the Glasgow saints login) then forgive me for not giving a f*ck what you say.

Ironically cheered, said he was lazy and flounced around, hibernated between October and March, as soon as he went he becuae exactly the sort of player we needed

In truth last season was the first time anyone has had anything to complain about. People moan about Puel but the fact of the matter was it was on paper it one of our best seasons ever, 8th places finish, cup final, trip to Wembley, the San Siro, Prague and Israel all done playing half the season without our best defender and striker. Yet still people *****ed and moaned and wanted Puel out after only a few games because they didnt like his interviews.

As you don't bother going to games, how would you know this exactly? Have you visited St Mary's yet this season? Considering the results, the support has been remarkably positive so far this season. These messageboards are where people who go to games and support the team can express their critcism of things they see going wrong.

I've noticed that most of the fans on here who don't care whether we win or lose, just as long as they can praise the board of directors and slag off our fans on meessageboards, rarely bother going to games themselves and generally live as far away from Southampton as possible. The ones who are unhappy with the way our club is being run at the moment are the ones who have paid hard-earned money, seen it wasted by the club in the transfer market and had to endure a string of awful results.

As you don't bother going to games, how would you know this exactly? Have you visited St Mary's yet this season? Considering the results, the support has been remarkably positive so far this season. These messageboards are where people who go to games and support the team can express their critcism of things they see going wrong.

I've noticed that most of the fans on here who don't care whether we win or lose, just as long as they can praise the board of directors and slag off our fans on meessageboards, rarely bother going to games themselves and generally live as far away from Southampton as possible. The ones who are unhappy with the way our club is being run at the moment are the ones who have paid hard-earned money, seen it wasted by the club in the transfer market and had to endure a string of awful results.

How’s the new Bobby Moore getting on at Fulham? Heard he had a shocker last week.

Still going to every game Home and away, every concert there is going on whilst living in 25 other countries?

Still idolising blokes in their mid to late twenties who don’t care if you are alive and if they were to ever meet you would

Ignore you anyway?

I guess Tadic will be the next one who you slagged off every week but now he’s gone has become a player we were absolutely stupid to sell.

People are demoralised because they expected us to be a regular top 10 club. However, the recent years were a bonus, or golden time. In the 1990's we were a club that fought to stay in the top league. Before being relegated we had been on an unbroken 26 year run in the top division. This was an amazing accomplishment and it was worth preserving. Therefore it was just as exciting and satisfying finishing just above the relegation zone.

We should aim to recapture that spirit and enjoy the drama of 'staying up'. At the moment we are 17th, but with a win we could rise to lower mid table, 14th even ! Remember, there are a lot of clubs in the leagues below that would aspire to our Premier league status and relish the idea of a season fighting 'to stay up'

Actually, that is a very good post sir. Perhaps the successes of recent years have made us all a little too greedy. Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Ipswich....and many more. I bet they would all love to have been where we have been the last 6 years.

I wouldn’t mind about how poor we are (and paying to see it) if we have a plan. We don’t. We are directionless and have no clear aims or philosophy.

Are we trying to develop young players or not?

We don’t have a plan. We’ve completely gone off the rails. I’m jealous of Bournemouth. Yes, Bournemouth. How has this happened?

Actually, that is a very good post sir. Perhaps the successes of recent years have made us all a little too greedy. Leeds, Wednesday, Forest, Ipswich....and many more. I bet they would all love to have been where we have been the last 6 years.

That's exactly my point. Canary fans around me would love their club to be in the PL like Saints. They see a club last season that dug in and showed guts to stay up and a club that is trying to defy the odds this year to stay up. Lets face it, Saints are a club that will most often be playing to either stay up in the top league or trying to get promoted into it.

He also wanted Cortese out because he was a nasty midget who was ruthless in getting results.

But of course Turkish has never been known to whinge or complain. He is a pwoper fan.

I wouldn’t mind about how poor we are (and paying to see it) if we have a plan. We don’t. We are directionless and have no clear aims or philosophy.

Are we trying to develop young players or not?

We don’t have a plan. We’ve completely gone off the rails. I’m jealous of Bournemouth. Yes, Bournemouth. How has this happened?

Bournemouth are in the lucky position of having an owner (with cash), chairman and manager all buying into the same plan. A bit like us under Marcus. Saints at the moment appear to be a mess from the top down.

Totally agree with everything you say there Nick, in fact its the same feeling I get when I go to games. But the fact remains, very few clubs of our stature, if any, would've been able to hold onto the players that we sold, given the clubs involved or the money offered. (Not only to the club, but also the player concerned). We were the victims of our own success quite simply and the bubble was always going to burst at some point. Currently we are suffering a crisis of confidence, if we can get over that we'll be fine, but if the fans are going to dump the players and manager after only 3 games, well it's going to be a tough session.

Only the following clubs have been in this league longer than us:

Arsenal

Everton

Liverpool

Man utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea

Man city

We are doing well and the reality is that's really hard to stay in this league for a long period of time.

People are jealous of Bournemouth but when Howe leaves they will begin the downward spiral. Swansea were the same when Rodgers left

Arsenal

Everton

Liverpool

Man utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea

Man city

We are doing well and the reality is that's really hard to stay in this league for a long period of time.

People are jealous of Bournemouth but when Howe leaves they will begin the downward spiral. Swansea were the same when Rodgers left

Well, no wonder Liverpool keep buying our players if they're running two teams.

Arsenal

Everton

Liverpool

Man utd

Liverpool

Spurs

Chelsea

Man city

Agreed, I was making that kind of point earlier on. Our 26 year run, which came to an end in 2005 was quite an achievement. As I said, we are 17th in the all time league, so not bad at all.

There is everything to play for this season and simply staying up is something we should be rightly proud of and not be afraid of celebrating to the rafters!