“Youth players” and the “Southampton way”

Cabbage_Face

This is one of the problems at our club, we have many average players that have come up the youth ranks and are nothing more than average, but in some vein hope the club continue to loan them out just to fulfil this crap “Southampton way” nonsense. Players in question are McQueen, Targett, Reed, Sims, JWP, Gallagher, Stephens etc. Why not offload them and sign some better players?

It’s all well and good having this “philosophy” but abit pointless when none of them actually start a game or continually start.

Im fully aware Stephens has played a few games for us, but Hoedt seems to get picked over him, so says a lot, not actually convinced he is premiership level.

Another one of Les Reeds bs dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the problems at our club, we have many average players that have come up the youth ranks and are nothing more than average, but in some vein hope the club continue to loan them out just to fulfil this crap “Southampton way” nonsense. Players in question are McQueen, Targett, Reed, Sims, JWP, Gallagher, Stephens etc. Why not offload them and sign some better players?

It’s all well and good having this “philosophy” but abit pointless when none of them actually start a game or continually start.

Im fully aware Stephens has played a few games for us, but Hoedt seems to get picked over him, so says a lot, not actually convinced he is premiership level.

1) Can you define exactly what an "average player" is?

2) They are loaned out at least in part to try and get them capable of a level good enough for our first team. Just because they are loaned out for a few seasons doesn't mean they will never be good enough.

3) It hasn't been called the Premiership since 2007 ;)

Think they are all being saved for plan B which is the championships.

This, there is no other plausible explanation. If managers cannot see them playing in our very average, poor team they are clearly not good enough and should be sold, its only fair for their careers.

How about that they are still in their early 20s and the club want to see if they can develop further and be ready for the 1st team in the future?

You do know, he ( 1 in bold ) is one of only 4 players to make a key pass so far this season, he has also made more key passes than every other player on the team combined ( 81 mins game time ), including 270 min Redmond who has yet to create one key pass or get a shot on target in 3 games.

now don't go all " Redmond runs at ppl though and cause he can run at ppl he is a better creator for the team " rubbish that is normally sprouted out, Attacking players are rated for one thing only, the chances they create and score, and Redmond is bad at both, least JWP can put the ball in places for others to score, as can be seen by his 6 key passes already for us with a big hand in one of only 2 goals scored.

Now I know none of them are stars or top players, but with out consistent games and mins, they will never reach their true potential, or get to show it, so loan deals are a must, plus these guys are free and might be worth some money, replacing players costs far more than its worth some times, and potential can be worth a lot if given time to develop.

Would love to see Sims given a 5 - 6 games in a row to show what he can after a run of games instead of Redmond and JWP, so we can sell them both, as I think he will be better than both in a few years, by quite a bit too

You do know, he ( 1 in bold ) is one of only 4 players to make a key pass so far this season, he has also made more key passes than every other player on the team combined ( 81 mins game time ), including 270 min Redmond who has yet to create one key pass or get a shot on target in 3 games.

now don't go all " Redmond runs at ppl though and cause he can run at ppl he is a better creator for the team " rubbish that is normally sprouted out, Attacking players are rated for one thing only, the chances they create and score, and Redmond is bad at both, least JWP can put the ball in places for others to score, as can be seen by his 6 key passes already for us with a big hand in one of only 2 goals scored.

Now I know none of them are stars or top players, but with out consistent games and mins, they will never reach their true potential, or get to show it, so loan deals are a must, plus these guys are free and might be worth some money, replacing players costs far more than its worth some times, and potential can be worth a lot if given time to develop.

Would love to see Sims given a 5 - 6 games in a row to show what he can after a run of games instead of Redmond and JWP, so we can sell them both, as I think he will be better than both in a few years, by quite a bit too

That's a lot of words to point out we happen to have scored one goal from a corner.

1) Can you define exactly what an "average player" is?

2) They are loaned out at least in part to try and get them capable of a level good enough for our first team. Just because they are loaned out for a few seasons doesn't mean they will never be good enough.

3) It hasn't been called the Premiership since 2007 ;)

1) average = not rubbish but not amazing.

2) won’t happen, either they are good enough or not, loaning them out season after season probably won’t make them amazing

3) yes it has

Yet these players we buy look average creating a bloated squad. Why not offload all the junk we have bought first.

The younger players have suffered from the club failing to back up their pr spin about development pathway with real opportunities. Gallagher broke through under a manager (potch) who valued youth development. Give them the opportunities the likes of long etc have been given first I say before deciding their only value is to be flogged.

That still is not an adequate definition unless you outline what it is in comparison to. Amazing or rubbish compared to what exactly?

You have some form of autism. Is that a good enough definition?

It’s not rocket science to work out who is amazing in football and who is rubbish. You research for that excel spreadsheet game, how do you base your ratings? 0 being rubbish, 20 being amazing.

Stop being a ***** and use that brain.

You don’t understand. Teams at Southampton are not picked simply because of talent. They are also picked because of player status and power. The players who are internationals with the threat of play me or else I will get my agent to move me get picked unless they have been really crap for a while. Then there are also manager favourites. No manager at Southampton level is going naff off players that have clout. I suspect Puel tried and the ‘powerful’ players got him removed. An international with an attitude has to play really crap before they are dropped. Internationals that are ‘nice’ get dropped first. All IMHO of course.

When any of those young guns you mention have played in premiership games, how many have let the side down and been at fault for goals against it looked out of place more than the regulars that get blasted on here every week? Seriously many of you on here have no idea if the ‘politics’ in player management and picking a team gat happens at this level.

How about that they are still in their early 20s and the club want to see if they can develop further and be ready for the 1st team in the future?

How about that Reed will be nearly 25 by the time he is given a chance again, he isn't actually in his early 20s, he's in his md 20s, the age when midfielders are coming into their prime (if not already in it). If he is to develop as a full back then he is probably past his prime. This "early 20s and see if they will develop further" argument is simply poppycock as well you know.

My fave bit of Les’ comments at the fans forum about the academy was they are now developing different types of players to the ones the club used to. Funny because the rest of the board will believe what he says and take it as gospel, not so funny because we used to develop good players, now not so much.

Of the players out on loan it’s hard to see how they will really break in to the first team and establish themselves. They just aren’t really good enough for the Premier League or they would have all done so by now.

Can't see that our home grown average players are any more of a problem than the average players we buy in for millions.

Been saying the same thing.

Yes our academy has dried up and the "talent" is average but so is our recruitment.

We've spent nearly £300 million on our squad and it's pretty pants.

You have some form of autism. Is that a good enough definition?

It’s not rocket science to work out who is amazing in football and who is rubbish. You research for that excel spreadsheet game, how do you base your ratings? 0 being rubbish, 20 being amazing.

Stop being a ***** and use that brain.

Boom get in there back of the net...............yes exactly what does he thinks is average compaired to who, hes just being a pedantic(excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous) bell end.

You do realise that Premier league clubs are required to have 8 home gown players (i.e. Academy Trained) over the age of 21 in their playing squads. It's also well known that young British players are the most expensive to sign in Europe so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that any Southampton FC squad is always going to have some of these type players.

You do realise that Premier league clubs are required to have 8 home gown players (i.e. Academy Trained) over the age of 21 in their playing squads. It's also well known that young British players are the most expensive to sign in Europe so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that any Southampton FC squad is always going to have some of these type players.

Home grown just means they were at an English club for 3 years before they were 21. So it doesn't imply any need to have a bunch of inadequate players from the youth team.

It's interesting - would've thought Gallagher would've got a chance by now - maybe tonight is the night?

I've always thought Hesketh looked like a genuinely creative player, but has fallen completely out of the picture last couple of seasons (whilst always looking good in the U23 team).

Valery could be a decent shout for the next couple of years and seems Klarer is doing well. Will be interesting to see if Alfie Jones does well in Scotland and Vokins pushes on much this season (although obviously behind 3 other players for a first team squad place). Enzo Robise for the future too?

JWP is now an established player, and perhaps a bit unlucky to be in and out of the team, whilst Targett, McQueen and Stephens are ok squad players for a bottom half premier league team. Just be good to get another genuine starter - although this is a rarity these days in the Premier League...

Stephens, Reed and McQueen are not good enough period but i think Targett proved he can play at a good level and start in the prem if needed, Sims I think also can and I hope he gets plenty of playing time on loan and comes back and competes, have to remember Targett and Sims are both under 22 I believe.

JWP is a back up at best, wrong era for him sadly 90s and early 00s he would be a star but in this day and age he's a average player he doesn't have the pace to play out wide or physical ability to play in CM, so he has to be used sparingly.

If Les Reed's lips are moving and he's making a noise then you know its total BS.

It's a difficult one with the academy players. My feeling is that there is at least some logic from the club in keeping Targett and Gallagher this season because they did well out on loan in the Championship. If you're going to loan players out, then surely the point is for them to a) play regularly and b) do well in order to give them a chance to move onto the next level.

As for the others who've gone out on loan this time, I do personally feel you have to at least question their desire to make it at Saints. Nothing wrong at all with making a career out of the game as a pro, but how many of them are truly busting a gut in training and banging the manager's door down to get a chance? I accept maybe the club is saying to them that they might get a chance if they're patient, but what if they don't? Sometimes you have to make your own luck - that applies in all sorts of professions.

They get loaned out because they are toilet! not good enough for the first team...... Which is a bit mad considering half of our firs team are no up to par either...... Squad oveerall is average problem is other clubs have progressed we have stood still signing has beens and so called talent that flopped at previous clubs.....