Brighton 0 Saints 1 - Match and Reactions.

Shroppie

Just on way back from what was a dire game until the last 10mins. You wouldn't think many of those lads were playing for a place in the team. A few, JWP, Gabbi, Romeu seem to find football a joyless experience. No creative passing whatsoever and first half it was truely woeful.

Improved second half, mainly with Armstrong getting into the game more and the subs, especially Gallagher who added what Gabbi failed to produce i.e some intensity, pressure on defenders and a bit of power.

Good goal, excellent from Redmond and good header from Austin, who is more suited to shorter bursts of higher intensity.

Positives:

- Davis looked much sharper than during pre season and played well

- Gunn looked solid

- Gallagher showed he could be a good bench option.

Negatives:

- Stephens isnt a good enough backup RB

- Romeu and JWP were woeful. No suprise JWP doesn't get a game in centre mid very often

- Elyounoussi was very poor. Lacks and any pace and certainoy nowhere near what Tadic was. My biggest disappointment.

Overall:

Its not hard to see why we struggle to score. Whoever is selected the team lacks pace, guile, intent and most importantly personality.

Quite a few look like its a chore rather than something they enjoy, certainly on the ball.

We are a poor side in many respects but into the next round nonetheless

Dusic I agree with most of your post but for me Davis was woeful and contributed very little to the game.

In contrast I tbought JWP had a decent game. Lots of neat passes and as always his set pieces give us an extra dimension. He even put in a few tackles!

Funny how we see games differently.

Anyway a win is a win.

Lets enjoy it for a few days

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Have we learnt anything from tonight?
Gunn is going to challenge McCarthy.

Yoshida and Bednarek are a better CB pairing than Vestergaard and Hoedt/Stephens. Yoshida must start Saturday.

Stephens is no worse at RB than Cedric and can (sort of) head the ball. Targett is sound cover for Bertrand.

Davis can still offer something, but not a regular start. Options at DM are thin.

Armstrong is wasted in a wide position. Elyounoussi has promise but isn't on the pace yet. (A bit like Ramirez, Boufal etc but I'm hoping he'll get there like Mane did). Redmond is better this season. JWP is JWP.

Gabbiadini is frustrating. We know he can be good, but it's not happening. Austin is good as a late impact sub. Gallagher was effective and brings something the other strikers don't.

My team for Palace;

McCarthy

Stephens(or Targett) Yoshida Vestergaard Bertrand

Lemina Romeu

JWP Armstrong Redmond

Ings

Bench: Gunn, Cedric, Hojbjerg, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Austin, Long

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Woeful first half, barely anything happened.

Ultimately we won the game as we wanted to win it, and Hughton obviously wasnt that bothered. Glad we made the changes to go for it and they made a big difference. Redmond & Gallagher really changed the game. Went more direct, turned the defence, worked the channels and had some pace and quality. Nice last minute winner away from home and well deserved in the end.

Hate picking players out but Stephens just looked leggy from minute one. Had a horrible first half defending and added nothing in attack. Thought Targett looked really decent and Gabbi looked like he was trying as best he could.

Good effort to take 2,000 of us by the way.

Funny old night really..got diverted away from the A27 there and back, parked up ok in the end, atmosphere awful, Brighton fans awful. Why Jack Stephens is playing right back I’ll never know. Plus points for me were Davis, Gunn and Targett. Armstrong not in the game out wide. We looked so pedestrian until the last 10 minutes when Austin and Redmond came on and changed the game, Gallagher also another good option.

Funny bits...there goalkeeper and the Brighton idiot fan giving the big one to the saints fans all game then being chased out by there stewards, jumping down the exit. Got in at midnight.

Onto Palace.

Yoshida and Bednarek are a better CB pairing than Vestergaard and Hoedt/Stephens. Yoshida must start Saturday.

Stephens is no worse at RB than Cedric and can (sort of) head the ball. Targett is sound cover for Bertrand.

Davis can still offer something, but not a regular start. Options at DM are thin.

Armstrong is wasted in a wide position. Elyounoussi has promise but isn't on the pace yet. (A bit like Ramirez, Boufal etc but I'm hoping he'll get there like Mane did). Redmond is better this season. JWP is JWP.

Gabbiadini is frustrating. We know he can be good, but it's not happening. Austin is good as a late impact sub. Gallagher was effective and brings something the other strikers don't.

My team for Palace;

McCarthy

Lemina Romeu

JWP Armstrong Redmond

Ings

Any reason why you say Yoshida and Bednarek are a better CB pairing than Vestergaard and Hoedt/Stephens yet your CBs for Palace would be Yoshida & Vestergaard?

Any reason why you say Yoshida and Bednarek are a better CB pairing than Vestergaard and Hoedt/Stephens yet your CBs for Palace would be Yoshida & Vestergaard?
I'd say Vestergaard and Hoedt are too slow but good in the air. Yoshida is pretty good in the air and both he and Bednarek are more mobile. I was comparing the two pairings, but think Yoshida/Vestergaard could be the best combination.

Having said that a good cup run is important to us and that he will play a strong team, Hughes then makes 10 changes and puts out the B team. Luckily Brighton's second string is poorer than ours. If I was the manager I would want to work on my best eleven, not give fringe players a run out. Still, we are through to the next round and that is the main thing.

Interesting to see the difference between some of the Daily Mail's player ratings and those of the supporters on The Ugly Inside, notably for whipping boy JWP. DM ratings on left TUI on the right.

Gunn 6 - 7.1

Stephens 6 - 5.4

Yoshida 6 - 6.4

Bednarek 6 - 6.1

Targett 6 - 5.8

Davis 6 - 5.1

Romeu 6 - 5.6

JWP 7.5 - 5.4

Armstrong 6 - 5.1

Elyounoussi 6 - 4.9

Gabbiadini 6 - 6.1

Having said that a good cup run is important to us and that he will play a strong team, Hughes then makes 10 changes and puts out the B team. Luckily Brighton's second string is poorer than ours. If I was the manager I would want to work on my best eleven, not give fringe players a run out. Still, we are through to the next round and that is the main thing.

Interesting to see the difference between some of the Daily Mail's player ratings and those of the supporters on The Ugly Inside, notably for whipping boy JWP. DM ratings on left TUI on the right.

Gunn 6 - 7.1

Stephens 6 - 5.4

Yoshida 6 - 6.4

Bednarek 6 - 6.1

Targett 6 - 5.8

Davis 6 - 5.1

Romeu 6 - 5.6

JWP 7.5 - 5.4

Armstrong 6 - 5.1

Elyounoussi 6 - 4.9

Gabbiadini 6 - 6.1

The DM ratings look like utter b*****ks to me. Are you saying that outside JWP, everyone else played the same - that there were no better or worse performers? Kind of undermines the credibility of the ratings as a whole, including that of JWP.

Try and use your head soggy and maintain some objectivity not chase cheap points to score. You’ll be a better poster for it pal.

Gunn 6 - 7.1

Stephens 6 - 5.4

Yoshida 6 - 6.4

Bednarek 6 - 6.1

Targett 6 - 5.8

Davis 6 - 5.1

Romeu 6 - 5.6

JWP 7.5 - 5.4

Armstrong 6 - 5.1

Elyounoussi 6 - 4.9

Gabbiadini 6 - 6.1

What calibre of reporter do you think was at our match? Do you think the Mail had a reporter at every match? Do you think said reporter, if there was one, gave a toss?

My thoughts on last night;

Would play Gunn as our number 1

Yoshida or Bednerek ahead of Hoedt by a distance

Bertrand and Cedric under no pressure for their place whatsoever

Should have replaced Romeu

JWP steady but oh so boring. Story of his career

Armstrong played out of position

Moi tried hard but some way off

Felt sorry for Gabbi - some of the service to him was pathetic

Gallagher made a difference but needs to work on his decision making

Austin is 100% better off the bench. Should not be a starter

Redmond our best player by a distance

The DM ratings look like utter b*****ks to me. Are you saying that outside JWP, everyone else played the same - that there were no better or worse performers? Kind of undermines the credibility of the ratings as a whole, including that of JWP.

Try and use your head soggy and maintain some objectivity not chase cheap points to score. You’ll be a better poster for it pal.

Point is the DM ratings are going to be objective and free from bias whereas most fans make ratings on their favourites and are not objective.

Hardly like this is the only example, I've seen players on here get slated whilst media outlets give them MOM, consistently some fans on here and elsewhere basically confirm they are complete kn*bheads IMO and will just slate a player however he players because they don't like him.

Stephens..... https://youtu.be/jEjH7UGIZaM?t=108 - this sums it up for me. The whole play he is dreadful.

I am always keen to defend all our players, especially when they come up through the ranks. With Stephens, I am not sure at present that he is the grade required for a CB. I would push him forward a bit as a DM, as he can carry the ball forward.

Point is the DM ratings are going to be objective and free from bias whereas most fans make ratings on their favourites and are not objective.

Hardly like this is the only example, I've seen players on here get slated whilst media outlets give them MOM, consistently some fans on here and elsewhere basically confirm they are complete kn*bheads IMO and will just slate a player however he players because they don't like him.

We have no idea either way pal. For all we know the correspondent was going through the motions in what was a dull-as-dishwater game - in the process applying preconceived ideas to fill in the gaps (JWP = young English international = good).

Anyway you’re missing my point which is that its a bit odd to give virtually player the same grade. Do you think there were no differences in performance?

Exactly.

Benjii - in answer to your questions, I really dont know. Perhaps you should contact the Daily Mail? The reporter is paid to do a job. Does he care? Does it matter so long as he does his job and applies some kind of professional judgement? The issue is that he wont approach a game with the same bias against players than some supporters do.

Shurlock - if you look at the ratings again you will see that not everyone is rated the same. Mo and Armstrong were given higher ratings and Gunn a lower rating. I mentioned JWP because that was the biggest disparity, but it is also true to say that some players get marked down because they are disliked, not because they play particularly badly. If you checked ratings like those in TUI with ratings in the media regularly you would know this to be the case - but then it wouldnt allow you to take your usual cheap shot would it, pal? Your view that the ratings in the DM are ******** is purely subjective by the way.

Exactly.

Benjii - in answer to your questions, I really dont know. Perhaps you should contact the Daily Mail? The reporter is paid to do a job. Does he care? Does it matter so long as he does his job and applies some kind of professional judgement? The issue is that he wont approach a game with the same bias against players than some supporters do.

Shurlock - if you look at the ratings again you will see that not everyone is rated the same. Mo and Armstrong were given higher ratings and Gunn a lower rating. I mentioned JWP because that was the biggest disparity, but it is also true to say that some players get marked down because they are disliked, not because they play particularly badly. If you checked ratings like those in TUI with ratings in the media regularly you would know this to be the case - but then it wouldnt allow you to take your usual cheap shot would it, pal? Your view that the ratings in the DM are ******** is purely subjective by the way.

Maybe I’m missing something but every player apart from JWP is given a 6 (from your original post).

Exactly.

He probably spent half the game texting some bird.

Can anyone explain why they'd have Gunn as number 1 over McCarthy with only one performance and in this calibre of game? I'm genuinely interested to know what traits he's shown could give should give them the dilemma over our new number 1.
you should know the form by now on here. You have a very reliable keeper who made the difference to us staying up or going down last season, and then a new face comes in for a game against a second string, has nothing to do, so all of a sudden the man who saved us is then to be jettisoned by the football brains on here.

Can anyone explain why they'd have Gunn as number 1 over McCarthy with only one performance and in this calibre of game? I'm genuinely interested to know what traits he's shown could give should give them the dilemma over our new number 1.

I was thinking this, a few people have said that Gunn should be number 1 but by all accounts he didn't have much to do last game. McCarthy's biggest asset is the way he controls his box compared to FF, we need to see that from Gunn too before we start calling for him as no. 1.

My team for Palace;

McCarthy

Lemina Romeu

JWP Armstrong Redmond

Ings

All eminently sensible and that side looks competitive. My worry is that amazingly we seem to have landed ourselves with yet another manager who doesn't know his best team. If he picks Hoedt again over Yoshi on Saturday we will know that something very fishy is afoot.

All eminently sensible and that side looks competitive. My worry is that amazingly we seem to have landed ourselves with yet another manager who doesn't know his best team. If he picks Hoedt again over Yoshi on Saturday we will know that something very fishy is afoot.

Yoshi wasn't exactly faultless last night and very nearly cost us a goal with a calamity clearance in the first half (not knocking the bloke).

P. S. Anyone know what happened to the Brighton fan that ran away from stewards last night. Hopefully his fall down the tunnel hurt.

Southampton top scorers. Charlie Austin (1 goal @ 9 mins per goal), Ryan Betrand (1 goal @ 270 mins per goal), Danny Ings (1 goal @ 193 mins per goal).

Looks like Charlie is taking off where he left last season.

But he doesn't run enough apparently :lol:

Link

Southampton top scorers. Charlie Austin (1 goal @ 9 mins per goal), Ryan Betrand (1 goal @ 270 mins per goal), Danny Ings (1 goal @ 193 mins per goal).

Link

I don't get the criticism of the only bloke who's scored any goals for us in the last two seasons despite being injured for most of them (fair enough to criticise his fitness record, but can't question his ability imo) - but I'm pretty sure he's played more than 9 minutes this season...

Link

They seem to have forgotten about the other 130 minutes he played before last night. In fairness, they were pretty easy to forget but he did play.

Does it actually matter if we won

Any away win is a good result is it not

Well, he played 130 minutes without scoring in more important games, which we didn’t win, so yes it does matter.

No complaints about last night in isolation but criticism of Austin is well founded in many areas.

Well, he played 130 minutes without scoring in more important games, which we didn’t win, so yes it does matter.

No complaints about last night in isolation but criticism of Austin is well founded in many areas.[/quote

I think you have little understanding of football and should stop posting and find something else to do as it is not always possible to score from every chance

I have been supporting SFC for nearly 60 years have seen the best and worst of players and Austin who I believe has played for England is just an average Saints players of which there are many

He is our top scorer over he last few seasons and should be supported constant whingeing which you seem to excel in does not help the team in anyway and is pretty boring.

My thoughts on last night;

Would play Gunn as our number 1

Yoshida or Bednerek ahead of Hoedt by a distance

Bertrand and Cedric under no pressure for their place whatsoever

Should have replaced Romeu

JWP steady but oh so boring. Story of his career

Armstrong played out of position

Moi tried hard but some way off

Felt sorry for Gabbi - some of the service to him was pathetic

Gallagher made a difference but needs to work on his decision making

Austin is 100% better off the bench. Should not be a starter

Redmond our best player by a distance

Largely agree with this. But, I would say Yoshida and Bednarek instead of Vestergaard and Hoedt because I think last night we saw our best central defensive pairing.

I think you have little understanding of football and should stop posting and find something else to do as it is not always possible to score from every chance

I have been supporting SFC for nearly 60 years have seen the best and worst of players and Austin who I believe has played for England is just an average Saints players of which there are many

He is our top scorer over he last few seasons and should be supported constant whingeing which you seem to excel in does not help the team in anyway and is pretty boring.

He may be our top scorer but 14 goals in 2.5 years is a pretty meagre return for a striker. I’m sure some helpful soul will be along with some stats comparing his goals per minute ratio to Aguero or something but his lack of game time is a glaring weakness, not en excuse. The fact is he isn’t fit enough to play more than he does and hasn’t been for many years.

Thankfully, none of the ‘whinging’ on here has any bearing on the teams performance.

Not our game but what a cracking finish to the forest v Newcastle tie
Just watched the highlights (on Quest channel...WTF?). Amazing finish to the game but how on Earth did Newcastle not get a penalty in added time with the score still at 2-1 when the Forest keeper completely clattered the Newcastle striker?

Say what you want about Cedric, but him and Bertrand need to be the full backs against the pace of Zaha and Townsend. Stephens isn't a RB, he's built like a CB and certainly doesn't have the agility of Cedric (nor should we expect him too). Leaving him 1v1 with either of those two wingers is a decision we'd massively regret.