Palace v Saints Build Up

trousers

Shouldn’t matter as he shouldn’t be any where near the starting 11

I wasn’t at the Leicester game but from most accounts he was quite decent up until the dive. It was a silly thing to do but I’d much rather a decent performance ruined by a moment of stupidity, rather than just being crap from the get go.

Having said all that, I think he is suspended.

Do well to take a point, and I'd be happy with that. Palace are a very direct team anyway, but we need to work hard to stop the crosses. Gonna have nightmares thinking about some of their giants taking on Cedric at the back stick.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I wasn’t at the Leicester game but from most accounts he was quite decent up until the dive. It was a silly thing to do but I’d much rather a decent performance ruined by a moment of stupidity, rather than just being crap from the get go.

Having said all that, I think he is suspended.

Wouldn't a dismissal for a 2nd yellow card mean a 1 match suspension, that he served tonight?

Wouldn't a dismissal for a 2nd yellow card mean a 1 match suspension, that he served tonight?

Yellow cards no longer apply to separate competitions, whereas straight reds do. But no-one seems to know if a sending off for 2 yellows crosses competitions or not. On the Total Saints podcast Adam Leitch thought he would've served it tonight, but he didn't sound totally convinced.

Not seen anything of Moi yet to suggest he’s good enough to be starting. I’d have Gabbi in to switch around the front 3 with Redmond and Ings.

Apart from tha, looks good to me.

Well, if you don't play him, he will never adapt to the English game. Too many players written off before they can adjust imho.

Yellow cards no longer apply to separate competitions, whereas straight reds do. But no-one seems to know if a sending off for 2 yellows crosses competitions or not. On the Total Saints podcast Adam Leitch thought he would've served it tonight, but he didn't sound totally convinced.

http://sport.bt.com/football/pierre-emile-hojbjerg-banned-for-southampton-S11364291643484

Suggests his 1 match ban was served in the Carabao Cup, and he'll be available this weekend if the manager wants to pick him.

Can’t see anything but a 2-0 defeat with this one. Woy has his team working well for him and a home defeat looks unlikely to a side who struggle to score. Hope I’m very wrong.

Unfortunately I'm thinking the same. And there's also the added burden of coping with their famous Ultras

dxi9n8.jpg

Gunn

Cedric

Vestergarrd

Yoshida

Bertrand

Lemina

Romeu

Armstrong

Gabbiadini

Redmond

Ings

Would love to see Gabbi coming off the the central striker. Probably more chance of me being picked though.

I'm quite disillusioned with Soares. Apart from his obvious lack of height, resulting in him being unable to win the ball in the air and being picked off by opponents, he seems to be in a world of his own when it comes to decision making. His crossing lacks perception and accuracy as he just puts his foot through it. Stephens, from the reports from last night was poor at right back. He may eventually have to settle for being a holding midfielder provided he steps up his tempo and cuts out the ball watching. Having said that, last season Bednerek was solid against Fulham at right back, maybe he could step up and hold down a defensive right back position as long as we are playing 4-4-2 without wing backs.

If we go 4-4-2 on Saturday, Bednerek, Yoshida, Vestergaard and Bertrand make a solid back four. Hojbjerg played with good intensity on Saturday and served his one match ban last night, so I would pair him with Lemina because Lemina and Romeu just don't play well as a pair.

We lack pace and consequently movement with Austin and Gabbiadini so to start I'd like to see Gallagher up front with Ings playing off him. Continuing in that vein Redmond left with Long on the right of midfield where he could match Zaha's pace and close him down.

Having said that I can see close to last Saturday's starting line up with maybe Yoshida (hopefully) paired with Vestergaard. Elyanoussi shows good touches but needs to step up his tempo so maybe a place for Austin or Armstrong (not wide) but not necessarily 4-4-2.

Edited by derry

I'm quite disillusioned with Soares. Apart from his obvious lack of height, resulting in him being unable to win the ball in the air and being picked off by opponents, he seems to be in a world of his own when it comes to decision making. His crossing lacks perception and accuracy as he just puts his foot through it. Stephens, from the reports from last night was poor at right back. He may eventually have to settle for being a holding midfielder provided he steps up his tempo and cuts out the ball watching. Having said that, last season Bednerek was solid against Fulham at right back, maybe he could step up and hold down a defensive right back position as long as we are playing 4-4-2 without wing backs.

If we go 4-4-2 on Saturday, Bednerek, Yoshida, Vestergaard and Bertrand make a solid back four. Hojbjerg played with good intensity on Saturday and served his one match ban last night, so I would pair him with Lemina because Lemina and Romeu just don't play well as a pair.

We lack pace and consequently movement with Austin and Gabbiadini so to start I'd like to see Gallagher up front with Ings playing off him. Continuing in that vein Redmond left with Long on the right of midfield.

Having said that I can see close to last Saturday's starting line up with maybe Yoshida (hopefully) paired with Vestergaard. Elyanoussi shows good touches but needs to step up his tempo so maybe a place for Austin or Armstrong (not wide) but not necessarily 4-4-2.

Bednarek as RB? Against Palace’s pace?

Well, if you don't play him, he will never adapt to the English game. Too many players written off before they can adjust imho.

Play him; yes but I would be starting him. There is an obvious advantage of coming on second half when you’re up against defenders who have been running around for an hour longer than you have. If he can have an impact against some tiring legs, then he should be considered for a starting spot.

I don’t think anyone is written off before they can adjust. The likes of Gaston, Boufal and Mané all had plenty of opportunities to prove themselves.

That's a big statement on a brilliant 17/18 year old that hasn't put a foot wrong yet against a player that failed abysmally at MU, gave up on an England international career and is resurrecting his career as star man at mediocre Palace. Still I'll bow to your expertise.

That's a big statement on a brilliant 17/18 year old that hasn't put a foot wrong yet against a player that failed abysmally at MU, gave up on an England international career and is resurrecting his career as star man at mediocre Palace. Still I'll bow to your expertise.

Sessegnon is still very young - for all his potential, he’s struggled so far to adapt to the PL (hence why he was dropped on Sunday). Right now Zaha is a proven PL performer and I’d take him everyday of the week over Sessegnon. Ask me in a few years time and I’ll probably give you a different answer.

Without Zaha in their side, Palace didn't win a single game last year. He changes games. He completes an incredible number of dribbles. He causes defenders to panic.

Sessegnon has great natural movement and composure and, from what I've seen, strikes a football very well. He's good at recovering possession but doesn't seem to have Zaha's blistering pace or the same ability to take players on.

Other than sometimes playing in the same position, they don't really have much in common. At the moment, Zaha is the more dangerous player, though Sessegnon has time to reach or surpass him in time.

Agree Cedric is a concern but his pace means he’ll be starting. Can already picture how it will go though- long balls to Benteke up against Cedric at the back post.[/QUOTE]

All teams do this and we did it with Beattie, Lambert and Pelle to name a few and most full backs are beaten by the big centre forward its nothing new

Stop Zaha stop Palace.

Still amazed Zaha is still at Palace. Thought legally you had to sell players once the top 6 make an enquiry

Depends ho much they love the club.

Zaha seems to thrive on being the main man and has already tried out UTD and things didn't work out for him there.

Maybe he's just more loyal than the mercenaries that wanted to use Saints as a stepping stone?

Depends ho much they love the club.

Zaha seems to thrive on being the main man and has already tried out UTD and things didn't work out for him there.

Maybe he's just more loyal than the mercenaries that wanted to use Saints as a stepping stone?

We advertised ourselves as a "stepping stone" club for a while and then seemed to renegade on a number of gentlemens agreements. Probably explains why we are now struggling to get deals done.

Imagine agents do talk and once you **** off a few you get a bad name.

It's probably costing us more in agent fees too

Anyways....back to palace. I predict 2-1

We advertised ourselves as a "stepping stone" club for a while and then seemed to renegade on a number of gentlemens agreements. Probably explains why we are now struggling to get deals done.

Imagine agents do talk and once you **** off a few you get a bad name.

It's probably costing us more in agent fees too

Anyways....back to palace. I predict 2-1

OMG we've gone renegade!!!!

We need to bully and kick them like Watford did. Easy.

Not sure that is within our style, even with Mark Hughes as manager.

Romeu can be a bit overzealous in his tackling, and possibly Lemina, but apart from those two it's not an area we prosper in. JWP ?? If we do, then at what stage do we go down to 10 men?