Gabbiadini - Wrong not to sell?

Dusic

After watching tonight, we probably should have sold Gabbi in the summer whilst he still had a decent sale value in Italy.

Clear Hughes doesn't rate him and physically he really offers nothing.

His strengths are negated as the team doesn't play to them.

He isn't a bad player, far from it, but he won't ever do anything at Saints as we aren't setup to suit him.

Having a player of that potential and quality as a bit part isn't the right thing for anyone, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team based on performances.

So many ineffective performances but so much goodwill towards him by so many fans. Player there but rarely seen in Saints shirt unfortunately.

Really hasn't done much in a long time. Couple that with the fact that 2 managers in a row didn't rate him, and I just have to admit he isn't that good a player. However for some reason he does get a lot of goodwill from the fans.

He isn't a bad player, far from it, but he won't ever do anything at Saints as we aren't setup to suit him.

What was it - 6 goals in 4 games on his debut?

It is a shame we don’t play to his strengths, because he is quality. Doesn’t get the type of service he needs, and doesn’t fit our current direct style.

He's never found the right manager and/or squad.

He's not a player that will create his own chances but put him in the right side and he would score a LOT of goals.

With the right players around him he would be unplayable. He can see the space and make runs across and behind a back 4 that are impossible to defend and he can score in a split second.

Unfortunately it looks like his career will never live up to its potential.

He scored a hat trick in a cup final against Man Utd.

What I find frustrating is that we know what he can do, in a decent team which gives him decent chances. His first goal against West Ham on his debut was exquisite as was the equaliser in the cup final. His movement and anticipation is among the best I’ve seen from a Saints striker but sadly we have a squad full of cloggers who aren’t on the same wavelength. It’s a shame we never got to see him play along side Mané and Pellè, along with an in form Tadic. Then we’d have seen what he’s capable of.

If we do sell him, that’s a pretty dreadful collection of strikers we’re left with. Austin and Ings will be in the treatment room sooner rather than later, leaving Sunday League Shane to chase defenders around like a terrier after his favourite tennis ball.

sadly we have a squad full of cloggers who aren’t on the same wavelength. It’s a shame we never got to see him play along side Mané and Pellè, along with an in form Tadic. Then we’d have seen what he’s capable of.

Sums it up perfectly for me.

To be honest I thought he played OK tonight - held the ball up well, had a few decent long range shots. BUT then again what do I know actually being there & NOT basing it on radio commentary??

I felt sorry for him. We looked so much better when Austin and Gallagher were up top simply because they could support one another. Our midfield left Gabbi without real support and not playing balls into the areas he wants.

It's always the rest of the team's fault when he doesn't get the ball. Odd. I posted stats last year that he had the 2nd least touches per game out of the 60 strikers with the most minutes. 59th out of 60. A touch roughly every 4 minutes. It's the midfields fault :rolleyes:

Will always be remembered for the cup final and the goal at Swansea, but ultimately he hasn’t been good enough. I was hoping a change of manager may lead to a change of fortune for him, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to be. One thing for sure if he could find anywhere near the form he started with, he’s head and shoulders above the rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While every single forward in the squad seem so to find it so difficult to stretch the onion net, I find it hard to single out Gabbi for criticism especially when he’s scored more than Long in recent seasons (IIRC). I do wonder whether it is more a case of coaching in a prescribed fashion that is just not working well at senior level for some reason.

Sounded like he was totally isolated up front but still managed to force the keeper onto a couple of saves.

Disappointed that Armstrong was played wide rather than just behind Gabbi for support. Davis was sitting back deeper to be of any help to Gabbi.

With their combined instinctive runs, Gabbi and Ings would be a good combination , IF anybody in midfield delivers the ball quick enough.

The biggest issue the whole time with Gabbi, and I said this when we purchased him, is that he is not suitable for a one up top formation. He needs to play off a player who can hold the ball up.

Badly misused - but that's been the same with a number of players of the last few years.

Agreed. If we're going to persist with the current style of play then he becomes a luxury. Should have sold in the summer.

Our strikers aren't up to standard.... Not any of them! That's what's so frustrating pretty much every other team has some kind of exciting goal scorer.... Why those at the top can't see we are crying out for a decent mane or pelle replacement is crazy! Instead we **** money away on cheaper alternatives nearly always midfielders that never seem to come good! Teams must see our line up & laugh at our strike force!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Forget the injury problems for a while, and look at our strikers, they are all much of a muchness, everyone is a poacher ready to feed on the second ball.This summer we added Ings to that list, and again he is another poacher.

Everyone of them needs a partner like Pelle, a targetman to work off of. They also want a ball playing midfielder to back them up.

The nearest we have to that is Gallagher, who has yet to work his way into the team.

We are asking all of them to cover that job as well as doing thier own. In midfield, the ball players are S.Davis and JWP, Again thier form keeps them out of the starting X1...

We wont get the best out of any of our attackers until we get a balance up top with a target man. In the meantime give Gallagher a few starts to see if he can get us scoring. The differnce that he and Redmond made last night must have opened a few eyes.

We have a major weakness which is a legacy from Puel and Pellegrino. Almost every time a forward player makes a run the player with the ball invariable plays it sideways or backwards ignoring the run. Need to start passing in front of the runner and busting a gut to get up in support, a fundamental change for most of our players.

He is our most talented striker, it's criminal how he's been misused over the past year or so. He should be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me and build the attack around him, but bafflingly the clown and now seemingly Hughes only want to play him as a lone striker, which doesn't suit his game at all.

He looked really sharp and lively in pre-season, I honestly don't get why Hughes has dropped him to the bench again.

Gabbi has class and that should be obvious to anyone. He is probably the deadliest striker we have in and around the box.

We simply do not play to his strengths. Our best two strikers are ings and gabby. We should be playing 4-3-3 with Ely, Armstrong, and Redmond behind either of them, and JWP sat as one of the two midfielders with the option to roam forward and deliver crosses.

We do not attack teams and get them on the back foot. We always pass in front of them rather than open them up, get behind, or play diagonal through balls. Is it any wonder a player like Gabbi (who thrives on his movement and finishing) is struggling?

Gabbi has class and that should be obvious to anyone. He is probably the deadliest striker we have in and around the box.

Class obvious to anyone? Apart from every manager at every club he's been at including international managers? Deadliest? lol he's not hit double figures once in his entire career at any club. The guy is bang average.

Things can change on such small margins..... Take last night. If Gallagher had pulled back the ball rather than go for goal from a ridiculous angle, then we might be thinking differently. If Redmond had come on when Gabbi was still on the pitch, then who knows?

His movement and anticipation is among the best I’ve seen from a Saints striker but sadly we have a squad full of cloggers who aren’t on the same wavelength. It’s a shame we never got to see him play along side Mané and Pellè, along with an in form Tadic. Then we’d have seen what he’s capable of.

This with bells and whistles on, even Hughes knows it!

“At times we don’t recognise the good runs that he makes, he’s got a lot of energy and at times he’ll demand the ball.

“He’s not very demonstrative as a guy, he won’t scream and shout when maybe he should do just to make people aware that he wants the ball at the right time.

“Maybe at times we’re guilty of not giving him the service he wants but on other occasions he knows what he has to do as well as he can when he gets opportunities and he mustn’t let opportunities pass him by.”

Is that a fact? I'll check out the Wykeham Arms on Friday night and confirm back.

(That's the usual Winchester-based players hostelry, it seems)

My friend manages the Wykeham so I'd hope he'd tell me if any of our players were in there!

(also, presumably Friday night is not the best time to spot a footballer in there if we have a game on Saturday?!)

Edited by mrfahaji

His movement and anticipation is among the best I’ve seen from a Saints striker but sadly we have a squad full of cloggers who aren’t on the same wavelength.

If we do sell him, that’s a pretty dreadful collection of strikers we’re left with.

Exactly this. Very few have a bad word to say about Gabbi but there may be no point in persisting with talents that are alien to Dinosaur mangers

Mitrovic was available all summer. The one that got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pony. He was nailed on for Fulham as he wanted to play for Jokanović again.

These were his exact words when signing.

I told my agent, my brother, my family that this is the only club I want to join,” Mitrovic said. “We didn’t even talk. Especially after the World Cup a few clubs were interested but my heart wanted to come here and to continue where we stopped.

“I didn’t talk to the other clubs. I know that I want to be here. It

was not easy but in the end we did it and I’m here. We’re happy now.”

“When I came here I fitted into the club like I’d been here lots of years,” Now I have a feeling like I’m home”.

The “one that got away”. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even Kane or Aguero could not score if playing in our team.

We don't create the chances like Spurs n Man City do but prolific strikers like Kane and Aguero don't always need 4-5 chances to score.

We are ponderous and seem to lack imagination in the final 3rd, we also lack the required pace in the side to successfully counter attack teams.

Absolutely this!!!

What I find frustrating is that we know what he can do, in a decent team which gives him decent chances. His first goal against West Ham on his debut was exquisite as was the equaliser in the cup final. His movement and anticipation is among the best I’ve seen from a Saints striker but sadly we have a squad full of cloggers who aren’t on the same wavelength. It’s a shame we never got to see him play along side Mané and Pellè, along with an in form Tadic. Then we’d have seen what he’s capable of.

If we do sell him, that’s a pretty dreadful collection of strikers we’re left with. Austin and Ings will be in the treatment room sooner rather than later, leaving Sunday League Shane to chase defenders around like a terrier after his favourite tennis ball.

After watching tonight, we probably should have sold Gabbi in the summer whilst he still had a decent sale value in Italy.

Clear Hughes doesn't rate him and physically he really offers nothing.

Having a player of that potential and quality as a bit part isn't the right thing for anyone, but he doesn't deserve to be in the team based on performances.

So what do you see as his strenghts?...........and could he play alongside ings/gallagher?...maybe but yes we dont seem to play direct enough for him...imo

Sounds a bit weird but I was sat next to him in Pi Winchester last night and he looked a bit low on confidence. Was on target with pizza slices into his mush mind you :)

I did say to my boy "you saw him score a hat trick for us at Wembley" after he left. Fundamentally a good player but clearly not fancied by any of our managers, however since Koeman I don't really trust any of their opinions...

Sounds a bit weird but I was sat next to him in Pi Winchester last night and he looked a bit low on confidence. Was on target with pizza slices into his mush mind you :)

I did say to my boy "you saw him score a hat trick for us at Wembley" after he left. Fundamentally a good player but clearly not fancied by any of our managers, however since Koeman I don't really trust any of their opinions...

On the Luke Shaw diet then, that bodes well.

An Italian eating pizza is not wholly unexpected.

I think he just needs a run of games, Hughes seems to be alluding to that with his comments.

My issue is though that we have now 5 first team strikers in Long, Austin, Ings, Gabbiadini and Gallagher and the manager seems to have no clue who he wants to play. Plus it's very likely they are fighting for 1/2 spots at best and none of them are really suited to playing out wide either.

So none of them are likely to get a run of games to get sharp and confident unless they hit the ground running early.

It also seems to me that in Gallagher we potentially have a player that they are consistently talking about his pace, power and physicality, which none of the others really have, and we should be using that, with one of the others to partner him. You don't get many big guys that are quick, we seemingly have one, he will unsettle defenders and even if his decision making etc. is not quite up to scratch (which he will learn) he could potentially open one of the others to perform even better. (he also seems a decent finisher and good technically)

An Ings/Gallagher partnership could allow the former to make his runs from deep, take people on etc. and play off the bigger man.

A Gabbiadini/Gallagher partnership could be just what Gabbi needs, some to hold up the ball for him, make runs off etc. as Gallagher occupies the defenders.

An Austin/Gallagher partnership could allow Austin to stay more in the box where he is best and less worry about the build up play that he is not so good at.

Even a Long/Gallagher partnership would cause problems against some teams if we went a little more direct.

My issue is though that we have now 5 first team strikers in Long, Austin, Ings, Gabbiadini and Gallagher and the manager seems to have no clue who he wants to play.

Just to play devil's advocate (as I think it's more likely to be what you say), could it be that the manager wants to play different players depending on the opposition?

For example, when the Leicester team was announced, although it's not the team I would have picked, when I saw Long and Ings up front and then saw Morgan and Maguire as the centre backs for Leicester, it seemed reasonable that the choice of striker was based on a mismatch of pace. Whether or not we exploited that in our style of play is another question (and as I didn't see the game, I can't answer), but maybe there was more to the selection than simply Hughes just trying things out.

The problem he had was that after he came back from injury Puel had gone into defensive, boring "we're safe" football mode. We weren't creating chances, and he was taking Gabbiadini off after an hour instead of making changes to get him the ball. That was the start of his decline in confidence which carried on under Pellegrino who did much the same.

The frustration was that if either manager started Long or Austin (When fit) and they also didn't score because they had zero service, they usually got a lot longer on the pitch than Gabbiadini was given.

He's best playing off the last shoulder. Either in a front 3 or a 4-2-3-1.

But he needs pace out wide to stretch a defence and he needs someone from deeper that can deliver a killer pass at the right time and/or someone who can do the same from out wide.We don't really have any of that.

Ironically we had Ramirez when he first arrived that could see those passes but nobody to get on the end of them, now we have the opposite.

Schneiderlin in his prime would have been someone that could feed Gabbiadini too. .

Just to play devil's advocate (as I think it's more likely to be what you say), could it be that the manager wants to play different players depending on the opposition?

For example, when the Leicester team was announced, although it's not the team I would have picked, when I saw Long and Ings up front and then saw Morgan and Maguire as the centre backs for Leicester, it seemed reasonable that the choice of striker was based on a mismatch of pace. Whether or not we exploited that in our style of play is another question (and as I didn't see the game, I can't answer), but maybe there was more to the selection than simply Hughes just trying things out.

Possibly, but has a 'horse for courses' approach to tactics ever really worked?

IMO consistency of selection helps build a team unit and allows players to find form and sharpness.

Possibly, but has a 'horse for courses' approach to tactics ever really worked?

IMO consistency of selection helps build a team unit and allows players to find form and sharpness.

Maybe it doesn't help to shuffle the pack at the start of the season, when getting the team to jell is the priority, but of course having specific tactics for certain matches makes sense. Obviously you don't need to have a different team for every match, but now and again it might make sense, especially if the players are of similar level.

In general I'd say the benefits are bigger to keeping the defence as consistent as possible, but even then you might make changes to combat a particular strength. For example, the defenders you pick to play against Jamie Vardy might differ from those against Benteke.

I don't know why Gabbi gets a free ride. He scored a few at the start but not much since. In fact he rarely touches the ball. OK you could say we don't play to his strengths well a good player would find a way. Even if we don't then there is no point Gabbi making the same runs every time and getting nowhere. Surely he has to be more intelligent than that.

Ings has made more of an impression already and he doesn't know the team.

Austin is a better finisher in and around the box. But he's not as mobile. Ings is our main striker now. He's more than a poacher and I think he'll prove to be a great signing. He's been fit for a year at least so no reason to caveat with "if he stays fit" now.

Gabbi is too passive and allows the game to pass him by - hence Hughes saying he must take opportunities.

I agree our strike force is not the best, and even Ings is a gamble. But Gabbi flatters to deceive. He simply doesn't make any impact and so is easy to play against.