Alex McCarthy in England squad

Spitz

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland, Alex McCarthy, Jordan Pickford

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders: Fabian Delph, Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, Jesse Lingard, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Raheem Sterling

Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Danny Welbeck

LOL.. full of players who are mostly subs for their teams or bit part players...

LOL.. full of players who are mostly subs for their teams or bit part players...

Southgate's point with this squad seems to be one of continuity from the World Cup, so giving those who were there the opportunity to retain their places. There's only been three Premier League games in that time, so I don't think that's a completely unreasonable stance to take, and the 5 changes are enforced ones (3 sort-of retired, 2 injured).

The October squad will be one that could be judged slightly differently, I think.

Pleased for Luke Shaw. He has endured public criticism from a looney manager and omitted from the side, yet has applied himself to be the best he can be, and has won over club and national managers. Well done, Luke.

And well done, Alex. Despite Southgate damning him with feint praise (inferring he doesn't have much to choose from) Macca has proven to be one of the best keepers in the EPL.

Not sure Southgate is all he is cracked up to be on the evidence of his squad selection today. Ryan Bertrand is by far the best modern LB in the PL right now and it is a travesty that he hasn't been invited along. Young is just a static lump and Rose is a liability. Luke Shaw has had one good match and that's enough... ?

If it's about the future, my guess is that Ryan will still be wowing fans in the PL when Gareth Who? has long departed the Wembley dug-out.

Alex good luck to you mate you are at least better looking than that bloke up north.

Not sure Southgate is all he is cracked up to be on the evidence of his squad selection today. Ryan Bertrand is by far the best modern LB in the PL right now and it is a travesty that he hasn't been invited along. Young is just a static lump and Rose is a liability. Luke Shaw has had one good match and that's enough... ?

If it's about the future, my guess is that Ryan will still be wowing fans in the PL when Gareth Who? has long departed the Wembley dug-out.

Alex good luck to you mate you are at least better looking than that bloke up north.

Young is not in the squad.

Yes but it's a good game for Man Utd and that's what counts.

Who could forget Calum Chambers having 2 good games at Arsenal, which got him into the squad, or Walcott in 2006 who didn't even have to make an appearance.

Southgate: I have a problem Steve

Holland: Whats that, Boss

Southgate: I need to choose a left back and it's between Ryan Bertrand and Luke Shaw.

Holland: Well Ryan Bertrand puts in a good shift, and has played well lately.

Southgate: But Luke Shaw had that good game recently and plays for Manchester United.

Holland: Yes but Ryan is consistent, has a good head on him. Calm in a situation.

Southgate: Yes, but Luke Shaw plays for Man United.

Holland: And don't forget, Ryan scored a screamer of a goal at the weekend.

Southgate: Yes, there is that. But don't forget, Luke plays for Man United.

Holland: And Ryan is a general on the pitch, a good back up captain, and has plenty of experience playing AGAINST some of the best in the world.

Southgate: Do you know what, Steve? You put forward a good case and helped me make up my mind. My decision?

Both Together, (With Holland in a sarcastic voice): The choice is Luke Shaw........because he plays for Manchester United.

Southgate: I'll just go and phone Sir Alex and make sure that's alright with him.

Holland: He doesn't manage Man United anymore.

Southgate: I KNOW THAT STEVE!!!! I'm not bloody stupid. No, I mean the England team sheet.

Bertrand tends to come back from England duty tired or injured, so him not getting picked benefits us significantly.

Agree that it benefits Bertrand/us physically, but what if he continues to be overlooked despite playing well in the meantime... it could start to affect him psychologically (i.e. "what's the point of busting a gut here at Southampton if it dosen't result in an international re-call?")

(Ifs and buts, I know)

Southgate: I need to choose a left back and it's between Ryan Bertrand and Luke Shaw.

Southgate: But Luke Shaw had that good game recently and plays for Manchester United.

Holland: Yes but Ryan is consistent, has a good head on him. Calm in a situation.

Holland: And Ryan is a general on the pitch, a good back up captain, and has plenty of experience playing AGAINST some of the best in the world.

Southgate: Do you know what, Steve? You put forward a good case and helped me make up my mind. My decision?

Both Together, (With Holland in a sarcastic voice): The choice is Luke Shaw........because he plays for Manchester United.

Southgate: I'll just go and phone Sir Alex and make sure that's alright with him.

Southgate: I KNOW THAT STEVE!!!! I'm not bloody stupid. No, I mean the England team sheet.

Take a bow, son, that is a golden post.

This is the same manager who watched his England side get outplayed for 70 minutes against Croatia after they made a tactical switch and swamped the midfield 5 vs 3, and turned to his trusted allies on the bench and said: "Welp, I'm all out of ideas. Plan A has fallen. We've lost the midfield. It's only a matter of time before we go under... But maybe if we do nothing and wish really hard it'll all just work itself out somehow... Yeah. Come on everyone, join hands. Sing along. You know the tune. It's coming home... That's some damned good managering, Gazza. Nailed it. Hey, how's my waistcoat looking?"

I think England are in for a rude awakening long-term under Southgate's watch. They fluked their way to a world cup semi playing John Beck era set-piece dependant football, utterly inflexible tactically if their opponents were remotely competent.

He's a jolly nice guy, but not much of a manager, IMO.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Not sure why anybody gets worked up about the England manager having a different opinion. Bertrand tends to come back from England duty tired or injured, so him not getting picked benefits us significantly.

I’m not bothered personally and I agree it’s better for Saints.

I just find the big club bias rather irritating for the sport in general. Players like Cleverley and Heskey getting more caps than Le Tiss or Kevin Phillips.

I’m not bothered personally and I agree it’s better for Saints.

I just find the big club bias rather irritating for the sport in general. Players like Cleverley and Heskey getting more caps than Le Tiss or Kevin Phillips.

Try not to agree with Granty too much - next he’ll be inviting you to share a curry with him in a happy hot tub.

You would enjoy it and you could beg him to let you be a mod and then you could go around

belittling people, sorry i mean "helping" people in your special way unchallenged

You would love that ;)

If I was mod, the first thing I would do is wipe out all your infractions pal.

There's a Michelin-starred one in London that I like these days :smug:

Mike, Baj and I aren't going all the way into London for a curry. You'll have to lower your standards for X-mas, Corriander Lounge was fine last time.

Is it still the Corriander Lounge? Or with memberships down due to all good posters who don't bother any more and you can see why has budget dropped to Giddy bridge curry nights levels?

I'll admit you and alps are a bit off a loss, one less round of Cobras probably.

Chilwell is young and looks promising.

Rose has been pretty poor most of the time I've seen him play. Not great defensively and prone to lapses in concentration. Quite good going forward, though.

Bertrand's suffering from getting close to being too old to play in the next World Cup and I think that's what Southgate's looking to build towards.