Alex McCarthy in England squad

Spitz

Chilwell is young and looks promising.

Rose has been pretty poor most of the time I've seen him play. Not great defensively and prone to lapses in concentration. Quite good going forward, though.

Bertrand's suffering from getting close to being too old to play in the next World Cup and I think that's what Southgate's looking to build towards.

Plays for Leicester where the next game is so that's probably the reason , Gray called up too

So it looks as if Butland does indeed get the nod over McCarthy

Southgate's selections in these two games have been influenced by him wanting to show loyalty to the WC group, including the players that didn't play. I would expect the next round of games to have more players staking a claim in the squad and first team.

Still can't see us beating any 'big' teams until we get a world class DM (in the Kante type mould), or AM (in the Eriksen type mould). Our midfield is so pedestrian. You can't fault Henderson for effort, but he hasn't got the ability to control a game in the same way as a Modric, Busquets etc. Having one player of this quality would improve us massively.

Only truly blinkered Saints fans thought that McCarthy's four performances this season would oust the person who was 50/50 for being Eng number one at the last World Cup. Pickford got the gig due to his distribution, but apparently it was very close between the two.

That being the case, Butland was always going to start this friendly.

Having said that, shipping in goals for Stoke in the Champ will certainly help McCarthy becoming number 2 'keeper!

Butland has played before under him so he knows how he is as a goalkeeper. Alex hasn't made his debut yet so thought he would get the nod. Plus Butland is currently playing in the championship.

he is giving games to players who he has largely been with through a pretty successful world cup.

Hell of a shaky start from Butland

Butland should not be in the side on current form, McCarthy not getting on tonight I doubt he'll ever get a game now. Gunn was on bench for both u21 games as well, bit of a waste of time for both of them.

Remember the glory days of Forster, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse and Redmond in the full England squad, seems a long time ago now.

Didn't get on. Pointless him being called up.

Absolutely agree. With the reports of how poor Butland was it's ludicrous that McCarthy didn't play the second half. It suggests that he isn't being seriously considered and that Southgate had already decided his plan in advance and wasn't capable of changing it. A lucky win on penalties at the world cup and talking him up in the media, hasn't made him a good manager.

I don't think it's a waste of time time players being called and not being used. They get to be part of a squad and experience the England set up and the manager at first hand.

We all know the players personality is important as well as their ability so it makes sense for Southgate to actually work with the players to evaluate them on all levels.

Of course we all wanted Alex to get some game time but as a neutral you can't argue with the fact that Butland got the nod for this game as he was generally recognised to be the Number 2 in Russia.

But I agree, Alex is running out of games for him to get a start.

Alex is running out of games for him to get a start.

Not really. He's 28 and has enjoyed a decent year with Saints. If he keeps it up, he could play against USA.

All it takes is an injury to Pickford and McCarthy's in with a chance - just like he was here after Fraser's injury/drop in form.

I wasn't thinking about his age, more the fact that Pickford and Butland are Southgate's top two and Pope got in ahead of Alex in Russia.

Of course, things can change and although I wouldn't wish any bad luck on the other guys regarding injuries, I think that's the only way Alex will get a starting spot in the next few years.

It's great that we have several youngish keepers in the frame at the moment.

he is giving games to players who he has largely been with through a pretty successful world cup.

Surely the point of friendlies is to give chances to those who have NOT had chances previously, rather than stick with the tried and tested? There are now precious few 'pure friendlies' so Waistcoat has missed a chance to have a look at "other options." And a time may come where such players decline call ups to simply train with those who will play.

Surely the point of friendlies is to give chances to those who have NOT had chances previously, rather than stick with the tried and tested? There are now precious few 'pure friendlies' so Waistcoat has missed a chance to have a look at "other options." And a time may come where such players decline call ups to simply train with those who will play.

We did pretty well in the world cup and the team is really quite young. It's not like we've got some squad of dead wood or a flurry of retirements.

McCarthy gets a call up and people think he should just stroll in and get a cap.

Maybe he's been called up to see how he fits in with the group, how he trains, expose him to international duty. Just that.

He's never going to be anything more than a back up keeper FFS, the way this thread reads he's some mega talent that the nation needs to see on the pitch.

Be was lucky to get a call up, and he's had his experience, for now.

Unlikely, you really don't need 3 goalkeepers for training. i always wonder why teams consider it necessary to have 3 keepers in a squad.

It's pretty obvious - if a squad has 2 and one takes a knock in the warm up or whatever you have no bench cover.

We did pretty well in the world cup and the team is really quite young. It's not like we've got some squad of dead wood or a flurry of retirements.

McCarthy gets a call up and people think he should just stroll in and get a cap.

Maybe he's been called up to see how he fits in with the group, how he trains, expose him to international duty. Just that.

He's never going to be anything more than a back up keeper FFS, the way this thread reads he's some mega talent that the nation needs to see on the pitch.

Be was lucky to get a call up, and he's had his experience, for now.

Good points. Butland looked uncharacteristically shaky the other night. A shame as I believe he is a very good keeper.

McCarthy has hadhis recognition and hopefully his form maintains his place in the squad. Im not sure where this leaves Gunn!!!

Good points. Butland looked uncharacteristically shaky the other night. A shame as I believe he is a very good keeper.

McCarthy has hadhis recognition and hopefully his form maintains his place in the squad. Im not sure where this leaves Gunn!!!

City buy Gunn back for £25m...........

It's pretty obvious - if a squad has 2 and one takes a knock in the warm up or whatever you have no bench cover.

Its not obvious at all, you have 20 outfield players (thats 2 per position) and 3 keepers. It was something that got added a few tournaments ago and is totally pointless, especially when only playing 2 internationals in a week - can sort of understand it in a full 6 or 7 game tournament. Its overkill, how many times does the 3rd keeper get to play. There are so many keepers these days that earn a living in football without ever playing a first class game.

Its not obvious at all, you have 20 outfield players (thats 2 per position) and 3 keepers. It was something that got added a few tournaments ago and is totally pointless, especially when only playing 2 internationals in a week - can sort of understand it in a full 6 or 7 game tournament. Its overkill, how many times does the 3rd keeper get to play. There are so many keepers these days that earn a living in football without ever playing a first class game.

We'll agree to differ. You can't compare outfield players to keepers. If push comes to shove a centre back could fill in at full back, a winger up top etc. Nobody could fill in as keeper. I'd want 3 keepers in the squad everytime.

Mentioned in this BBC article as having the second highest save percentage in the league so far - behind Alisson and ahead of Lloris.

Yeesh our xG against is high compared to the glory days of 6th and 7th. We're allowing far too many shots nowadays, really miss Wanyama and Schneiderlin's presence, the number of times I see Lemina and Hojbjerg wrong side chasing back compared to those two...

• 3 weeks later...
Watford

Fulham

Stoke

Leicester

Burnley

& err Southampton .

You’re right, he only picked Wellback over Ings because he plays for a bigger club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were discussing strikers... and we have kane and big teams reserves... hth

We were discussing strikers... and we have kane and big teams reserves... hth

Ahh right I see. He picks players on merit regardless of who they play for, until it comes to picking forwards. Then he picks them on the basis of who they play for.

Is that really your argument?

Ahh right I see. He picks players on merit regardless of who they play for, until it comes to picking forwards. Then he picks them on the basis of who they play for.

Is that really your argument?

it s not an argument sorry to spoil, as i know you like one, if he had more english choice from the big boys he would be picking them

it s not an argument sorry to spoil, as i know you like one, if he had more english choice from the big boys he would be picking them

There’s one of 3 reasons he’s picked Wellbeck over Ings.

1. He thinks he’s better and has never let him down before

2. He thinks Ings is better but doesn’t pick him because he plays for us.

3. He doesn’t know so just picks Wellbeck because he plays for a bigger club.

I know which one I think it is

4. Wellbeck has performed better, has more goals, has better average rating so far this season. Ings is unlucky not to get picked, But Wellbeck has deserved his call up imho even though I don't like him

4. Wellbeck has performed better, has more goals, has better average rating so far this season. Ings is unlucky not to get picked, But Wellbeck has deserved his call up imho even though I don't like him

Yes, and Welbeck has a good record for England (and unlucky to have a goal disallowed in his last outing for them). It would've been very surprised if Southgate had chosen Ings over him.

Are you serious? Only an idiot would think an interational manager would deliberately pick an inferior player from a superior club. That only leaves number 1, but anyway Wellbeck is the better player. He is tried, tested and has succeeded on the international stage.

Well! If Ings played for Utd and Welbeck for us he probably would have

Are you serious? Only an idiot would think an interational manager would deliberately pick an inferior player from a superior club. That only leaves number 1, but anyway Wellbeck is the better player. He is tried, tested and has succeeded on the international stage.

Exactly.

Southgate picks Wellbeck over Ings because he rates him higher.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm hoping that, like Ward-Prowse, he will one day get at least a few minutes on the pitch for England because I love ramming this down Pompey fans' throats, when they start going on about their 'history' and being a 'big club':

England internationals

Southampton

David Armstrong

James Beattie

Ryan Bertrand

Wayne Bridge

Arthur Chadwick

Mick Channon

Nathaniel Clyne

Peter Crouch

Bill Ellerington

Tim Flowers

Fraser Forster

C B Fry

Kelly Houlker

Kevin Keegan

Adam Lallana

Rickie Lambert

Bert Lee

Matt Le Tissier

George Molyneux

Terry Paine

Tom Parker

Alf Ramsey

Bill Rawlings

Nathan Redmond

Jack Robinson

Jay Rodriguez

Luke Shaw

Alan Shearer

Peter Shilton

Fred Titmuss

Arthur Turner

Danny Wallace

James Ward-Prowse

Dave Watson

Steve Williams

Mark Wright

Portsmouth

Jim Allen

Sol Campbell

Peter Crouch

Dan Cunliffe

Jermain Defoe

Jimmy Dickinson

Jack Froggatt

Peter Harris

Mark Hateley

Kelly Houlker

David James

Glen Johnson

Arthur Knight

Len Phillips

Jack Smith

Fred Worrall

• 1 month later...
I'm hoping that, like Ward-Prowse, he will one day get at least a few minutes on the pitch for England because I love ramming this down Pompey fans' throats, when they start going on about their 'history' and being a 'big club':

England internationals

Southampton

David Armstrong

James Beattie

Ryan Bertrand

Wayne Bridge

Arthur Chadwick

Mick Channon

Nathaniel Clyne

Peter Crouch

Bill Ellerington

Tim Flowers

Fraser Forster

C B Fry

Kelly Houlker

Kevin Keegan

Adam Lallana

Rickie Lambert

Bert Lee

Matt Le Tissier

George Molyneux

Terry Paine

Tom Parker

Alf Ramsey

Bill Rawlings

Nathan Redmond

Jack Robinson

Jay Rodriguez

Luke Shaw

Alan Shearer

Peter Shilton

Fred Titmuss

Arthur Turner

Danny Wallace

James Ward-Prowse

Dave Watson

Steve Williams

Mark Wright

Portsmouth

Jim Allen

Sol Campbell

Peter Crouch

Dan Cunliffe

Jermain Defoe

Jimmy Dickinson

Jack Froggatt

Peter Harris

Mark Hateley

Kelly Houlker

David James

Glen Johnson

Arthur Knight

Len Phillips

Jack Smith

Fred Worrall

Some good news. There are reports that McCarthy will come on as a sub for the 2nd half v the USA and so become the 37th Saints player to win a full England cap. Good luck to him.