Hughes The Dinosaur

washsaint

It is clear that Hughes has not the slightest intention of developing our own talent and TBH, the glut of players outgoing on loan, Matty Targett being denied a move, etc all leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

When you have serial underperformers like Long being preferred over our younger players you know the "SOuthampton Way" is long dead. Employing a dinosaur like Hughes is just the cherry on top.

Very disillusioned with Saints and football in general.

It is clear that Hughes has not the slightest intention of developing our own talent and TBH, the glut of players outgoing on loan, Matty Targett being denied a move, etc all leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

When you have serial underperformers like Long being preferred over our younger players you know the "SOuthampton Way" is long dead. Employing a dinosaur like Hughes is just the cherry on top.

Our fans really are getting worse aren’t they

I agree. We should be developing our young players by letting them leave and also by not letting them leave.

What a weird post. Not sure you even know what your point is!

I thought it quite obvious what it was about and I happen to agree. We find ourselves in a league where it is a risk to develop and bring through your own players, so instead everyone goes out and buy players in. We all know that. Some find it OK, some don't. Me I'm in the latter camp. But to accuse Hughes of being a dinosaur is a wee bit strange.

I thought it quite obvious what it was about and I happen to agree. We find ourselves in a league where it is a risk to develop and bring through your own players, so instead everyone goes out and buy players in. We all know that. Some find it OK, some don't. Me I'm in the latter camp. But to accuse Hughes of being a dinosaur is a wee bit strange.

I'm all for giving young players a chance, but I think that sometimes we as fans are far to eager to throw them into the big league. We forget that managers have a responsibility to make sure that their exposure in the big time is at the right time, i.e they also need to protect the players from bombing out and losing confidence altogether. Getting young players game time in the lower leagues, especially under the stewardship of a coach like Clough, (although I wouldn't necessarily cherish working with Pulis, although he was a defender, so Sam will be ok) is probably good development as far as I'm concerned. It's about getting the right balance.

The Targett decision i get. If Bertrand moves on that'll be the point where we see if they have any courage in regards him being first choice left back.

However the wider approach to youth is rather disheartening. There doesn't much chance for progression. We are lumbered with a bloated senior squad so even in the league cup there were none of the U23 squad getting a chance to impress.

I agree with the sentiment querying why Long is getting chance after chance despite 2 years of failure. Gallagher,now a 22 year old, 5 years after his initial bright start under potch and 2 reasonably successful championship loans has so far had to make do with a 20 minute cameo in the league cup. If Hughes really rates him like he says he does he should bite the bullet and give him starts.

Reminds me of the time when Chris Baird was ignored during the relegation season & following first half of the season by saggy chops for not having experience.

The Targett decision i get. If Bertrand moves on that'll be the point where we see if they have any courage in regards him being first choice left back.

However the wider approach to youth is rather disheartening. There doesn't much chance for progression. We are lumbered with a bloated senior squad so even in the league cup there were none of the U23 squad getting a chance to impress.

I agree with the sentiment querying why Long is getting chance after chance despite 2 years of failure. Gallagher,now a 22 year old, 5 years after his initial bright start under potch and 2 reasonably successful championship loans has so far had to make do with a 20 minute cameo in the league cup. If Hughes really rates him like he says he does he should bite the bullet and give him starts.

Reminds me of the time when Chris Baird was ignored during the relegation season & following first half of the season by saggy chops for not having experience.

Not sure it's a change in the club's approach so much as calibre of player coming through. I doubt if we had another Bale, Shaw, or Walcott on the books we would have any hesitation in fielding them.

If players aren’t getting any game time it makes perfect sense to loan them out elsewhere. It also puts these players in the shop window if it is decided they will not make the grade with us. What annoys me is when our loanees end up bench warming elsewhere and not playing. Defeats the object of the excerise. If the young players are good enough they get used. Those going out on loan clearly haven’t done enough to stake a claim in the 1st team squad.

If we hadn't spent much in the summer and declared we were giving the youngsters who have gone on loan a chance people would have had a meltdown. The issue people have is that we are spending too much money on players that are not working out which then creates the problem because we compare them to the kids and think they could contribute (which is a fair thing to do).

Had we signed players who turned out to be very good no-one would care about the kids going on loan because we'd be saying we're at a level too good for them now. But you don't know when you sign a player whether or not he is going to work out and you aren't going to sign a player for £15m and then sit him on the bench while you give the kids a go.

Gallagher and Targett look like they could contribute this season and they are still at the club. We know McQueen could contribute but he's third in line so a loan move makes sense. Reed is interesting - I think he'd do well in a team that is doing very well but he plays in such an important position I don't think he should start for us right now at all. Sims is the only one I'm iffy on - but he's only away until January.

The situation hasn't changed since Koeman. None of the youth players are tearing up the reserve competitions, so the manager does the easy thing of sticking with the expensive senior/international players, knowing that the decision can't really be questioned by the executives above him who paid large amounts of money for those senior players.

The situation hasn't changed since Koeman. None of the youth players are tearing up the reserve competitions, so the manager does the easy thing of sticking with the expensive senior/international players, knowing that the decision can't really be questioned by the executives above him who paid large amounts of money for those senior players.

Pretty much the case with most of the Premiership clubs. Obviously it's easier for a youngster to come into a team in League 1 or the Championship but they have to be exceptional to walk into Premier League team.

Listening to Solent before the cup game the other night. They where talking to Eddie Howe about the fact there was an ex Bournemouth academy player in the opposition team who had been let go last summer. Howe had nice things to say about the lad and then admitted that the rise of the club to the PL had out stripped the academy players he basically said if they where still in league 1 this academy kid would have become a big part of the team but getting to the PL changed the levels required. It's basically the same with us (and every other PL team I suspect) Its not like the academy lads aren't decent players a lot of them will probably play league football in their careers but to walk into a PL side you need to be a bit more than decent.

I think the issue for saints fans is that we have been watching the senior players turn in turd performances week in week out for some time now and desperately want something to change. So we are all kind of dreaming some academy lads would suddenly step up and change the fortunes of the team with the sort of excitement Walcott or Ox brought when they first played even though we know the reality is that isn't going to happen.

Problem with Saints fans is that we've had such a successful academy that everyone expects every single teenage player to go into the first team and if they aren't good enough, the manager is accused of not blooding youth players. This is four separate and very different Saints managers that don't seem to rate the current crop of youth players.

Problem with Saints fans is that we've had such a successful academy that everyone expects every single teenage player to go into the first team and if they aren't good enough, the manager is accused of not blooding youth players. This is four separate and very different Saints managers that don't seem to rate the current crop of youth players.

which is also part of the issue If you are a PL manager you are probably only in the job two seasons max. Developing youth for the future is a waste of your time you need instant success to keep your stock as a manager high.

Does it matter if we ‘develop youth’ that much?
No one seems to give two sh its about it in August when everyone is having a meltdown because Fulham and Bournemouth have spunked twenty eight million quid on a player no one has ever heard of.

Which four because puel developed mcqueen into a left back, threw sims in against Everton, hesketh impressed in Cup and then was started in Europe, played Stephens over the loan signing, played reed in cups

Which four because puel developed mcqueen into a left back, threw sims in against Everton, hesketh impressed in Cup and then was started in Europe, played Stephens over the loan signing, played reed in cups

Other than McQueen, those mentioned had all made their debuts under previous managers.

No one seems to give two sh its about it in August when everyone is having a meltdown because Fulham and Bournemouth have spunked twenty eight million quid on a player no one has ever heard of.

If we develop the next great thing, we won’t be able to sell him quick enough to a top 6 side, so what difference does it make?

That money would be used to buy the next Boufal or Carrillo.

Problem is how many games did we ever get from our star players from the youth system. Not the bog standard ones but our ones that gave us the reputation. Forget not that Lallana , AOX came from elsewhere. Bale and Walcott were gone within a season. So personally what does having the youth players really do for my enjoyment as a fan??

I want to have a nice Saturday night with the contentment of a Saints win, I don't care if it is a 40yer who scored off his belly or a 17year old kid

If we develop the next great thing, we won’t be able to sell him quick enough to a top 6 side, so what difference does it make?

That money would be used to buy the next Boufal or Carrillo.

And if they are not good enough for that, but good enough to be a squad player in the PL, everyone seems to hate them anyway. Hello JWP.

Problem is how many games did we ever get from our star players from the youth system. Not the bog standard ones but our ones that gave us the reputation. Forget not that Lallana , AOX came from elsewhere. Bale and Walcott were gone within a season. So personally what does having the youth players really do for my enjoyment as a fan??

I want to have a nice Saturday night with the contentment of a Saints win, I don't care if it is a 40yer who scored off his belly or a 17year old kid

Didn't we sell Walcott & Bale to stave off bankruptcy? Force majeur rather than through choice, same with Andrew Surman who always gets over-looked in discussions on this topic.