Should we jail trolls?

whelk

This is some piece of works who gets off on such vile trolling - sound too light a word.

Saw the fcker on the news trying to show some contrition however expect just to avoid jail time.

Is trolling something that gets out of control like any addiction that you need to take to the next level?

'Sick sadist' Paul Hind trolled grieving families http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-45357268

Definitely, vile actions and I hope the judge had the good sense to tell his team not to try the mental health excuse to save everyone time. I would make him, if the families were willing, face them in person to explain why he did what he did. With online and white collar crimes, it’s too easy for criminals to justify their repugnant behaviour without actually seeing the impact. Som3 won’t care but if a few can be reformed it could reduce future misery whilst still forming part of the punishment alongside prison.

In this case? Absolutely. In general? I'm not so sure. I think normally trolling is associated with mockery or winding someone up and that certainly shouldn't be an offence. This sort of thing is a different thing entirely though.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting in general although would be interesting Glasgow, Alpine and Dalek all doing time together.

Don’t think anyone is suggesting in general although would be interesting Glasgow, Alpine and Dalek all doing time together.
Tbf your thread title said "should we jail trolls" which suggested you were talking about more than this one case. Anyway if you're just asking if in this specific case that this bloke should be jailed then the answer is definitely yes.

And I couldn't think of anything worse than sharing a small cell with those three. I'm not sure if you'd get two to a room with alpine in there at any rate.

Tbf your thread title said "should we jail trolls" which suggested you were talking about more than this one case. Anyway if you're just asking if in this specific case that this bloke should be jailed then the answer is definitely yes.

And I couldn't think of anything worse than sharing a small cell with those three. I'm not sure if you'd get two to a room with alpine in there at any rate.

I can. Sharing a cell with you, Batman and CB Fry would beat that hands down.