Other games Sept 1/2/3.

OttawaSaint

It's a real shame, scoring goals at home is over-rated.
oh yep, it has become so easy since he left. It was a mistake to get rid of him, and I am certain we would be in a far better position now how we kept him. He would have his squad, and playing a more progressive game. He was unlucky to have been sacked, and Im pleased the Leicester fans are giving him more time than a lot of our goons did.

oh yep, it has become so easy since he left. It was a mistake to get rid of him, and I am certain we would be in a far better position now how we kept him. He would have his squad, and playing a more progressive game. He was unlucky to have been sacked, and Im pleased the Leicester fans are giving him more time than a lot of our goons did.

Ok.

Might want to have a read of this one

https://www.foxestalk.co.uk/topic/115272-puel/?page=141

They seem quite anti to me?

Im still sad that Puel has left us. All the talk he has lost the dressing room there is patent nonsense

I do often wonder where we'd be if he was still here. We certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near the relegation zone.

History will show that he is one of our greatest ever managers, relative to the strength of the team at his disposal.

All of those desperate for Pellegrini looking a bit silly right now...

I did say a team who had spent loads of money would flop, and it couldn't happen to a better club or a better set of fans. Let's hope they go down.

Still early days of course, but a -8 GD after only 4 games doesn't bode well for them at all.

I do often wonder where we'd be if he was still here. We certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near the relegation zone.

History will show that he is one of our greatest ever managers, relative to the strength of the team at his disposal.

If history does show such a thing (and who am I to predict the future!), then wait until they compare Puel’s win percentage of 37.74% with Paul Sturock’s 38.46%! ;)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southampton_F%2EC%2E_managers?wprov=sfti1

Leicester looked good though today, far more positive and higher tempo than Puel played with us, Liverpool more than a tad lucky with the first goal as Maguire's clearance goes straight to Mane and falls kindly to him. 2nd goal though I have no idea why you would have your no10 marking their main striker, aside from that Maddison looked very good and shame we missed out on him.

Also a bit envious that they have like 4 very promising young English players in Maguire, Maddison, Gray and Chillwell.

Key to getting something against Liverpool looks very clearly similar to what it was last year, keep it tight the first 20-30 minutes and second half you'll start to get some joy as they run out of steam, especially if you put them under pressure. Interestingly it seems like the same might be true of Everton who have faded 2nd half in every game by the sounds of it. VVD showed he still has that lazy nature he had when he played under us like the game is too easy for him and he just switches off, couple of poor moments and bailed out by Gomez.

West Ham look very much like a team that haven't found any balance or got any real cohesion, I presume they should get better but you wonder in this trigger happy PL world whether the manager is going to be given that time.

Looking at the results it looks like an anyone can beat anyone type season again.

People have mentioned Cardiff and Huddersfield a lot but I think Burnley might be in for a long season as well. Look dreadful.
They'll be okay now they're out of Europe. They just didn't have the squad to cope with the extra workload.

It happens to most of the smaller teams who qualify for Europe for the first time.

They'll grind out a couple of hideously ugly results and be away.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Watford going down for sure.

(Is what I thought 5 weeks ago).

Damn....decent start for them.

They are certainly the team that continue to defy my expectations. I have heard their director (might be Scott Duxbury) speak about how they do have well laid plans, even if it doesn't appear so from the outside, but despite that I'm always sceptical. And yet, they always do ok.

This year I looked at their squad, and the manager who didn't do brilliantly last season and who felt a bit of a sudden, left-field appointment when Silva left, and yet here they are, four wins from four matches!

They'll be okay now they're out of Europe. They just didn't have the squad to cope with the extra workload.

It happens to most of the smaller teams who qualify for Europe for the first time.

They'll grind out a couple of hideously ugly results and be away.

Do you think there might also be a case of the players mentality changing, and with it losing the key thing that makes them so good? Last two seasons they were "Burnley - favourites for the drop, with no good players", yet they were the embodiment of a team because they had to be. Now, they are "Burnley - who qualified for Europe last year", and maybe the players no longer see themselves as pure grafters.

I could be wrong, but I think it happens to a lot of teams, us included (not just recently, but even under Strachan when we got up to 4th only to collapse), and the levels of quality in the PL are so marginal that a slight change in mentality can be the difference.

Watford going down for sure.

(Is what I thought 5 weeks ago).

Damn....decent start for them.

They always do this, start the season superbly and by the end of the season look like relegation candidates.

If they can sort out their consistency issues and not balls up the second half of the season then they're a decent bet for a European place.

Do you think there might also be a case of the players mentality changing, and with it losing the key thing that makes them so good? Last two seasons they were "Burnley - favourites for the drop, with no good players", yet they were the embodiment of a team because they had to be. Now, they are "Burnley - who qualified for Europe last year", and maybe the players no longer see themselves as pure grafters.

I could be wrong, but I think it happens to a lot of teams, us included (not just recently, but even under Strachan when we got up to 4th only to collapse), and the levels of quality in the PL are so marginal that a slight change in mentality can be the difference.

I'm sure there's an element of that. Burnley - and in particular Dyche's - whole schtick has been the chippy underdogs, fighting against an imagined footballing world that is against them because they're not rich/fashionable/pretty/foreign enough. They're succeeding against huge odds stacked against them, hugely motivated by the desire to prove every imagined detractor wrong.

When you finish seventh and qualify for Europe, and people start complimenting you, it's a bit hard to keep up that mentality and image.