Palace vs Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Poor half by saints. Some decent play by hojberg/lemina but attacking we’ve been awful against a very poor palace side missing their star player. Their midfielder’s almost own goal header was probably the only moment of the half. Really don’t have a clue why Hughes wants to play Shane long when you hav3 gallagher/gabbi who can’t make the squad and we have a poacher like Austin on the bench.

How many times have we seen us having the better possession, the better chances, the more corners etc. etc., only to be robbed at the death? Plus, after Woy has a word in the Ref's ear at half-time, you'll see Benteke and Ayew go down in the box under powderpuff challenges to get a pen - they've been playing for it all half the cheating miserable scrotes.

Great half, everything but the goal we deserve. Elyounoussi is a class act, hojberg passing superb, hoedt and vest look solid. Just unlucky not to score. Hopefully we don’t live to regret it in the second half.

So much better than this time last year.

You know what, I think we look decent so far - only issue being I said that last week and we conspired a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ...

Long is doing well to bring others in to play, Ings shows really good touches and link up play (I have to concede I hadn't thought this was a such a strength for him), Hoj looking decent spraying balls out the Cedric, Redmond looking bright.

Our defensive shape has been fairly decent and there seems to be a clear idea of attack. Just need a goal for our hard work.

I daren't say anything too critical less it should come back to bite me but Benteke must be so frustrating for Palace fans. He bullied backlines for Villa!

Low quality game between pretty poor sides, but we've certainly been the better team - albeit with no cutting edge.

Palace with Zaha look potentially top 10, but without him they're potentially relegation fodder. It's amazing just how dependant they are on one player.

This one feels like a scrappy 1-0 either way. Let's hope it's to the team in, erm, yellow, blue, red and black (kit looks rubbish).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Think we've been pretty dire, actually.

We've created no clear cut chances and we look toothless up front against a Palace side which has offered nothing except for a few Benteke dives.

Long has worked hard and held the ball up well, Ings has been on the periphery of the match. Hoj has had a couple of long shots but apart from that we've not tested their keeper as much as their own defence has.

It seems our plan is to whip in crosses for Long and hope for the best. No interchanges of passing to try to break their defence open, just driven crosses and hope for a flick on. Not convinced by it at all, to be honest. I'm hoping for a bit more movement in the final third in the second half.

Poor half by saints. Some decent play by hojberg/lemina but attacking we’ve been awful against a very poor palace side missing their star player. Their midfielder’s almost own goal header was probably the only moment of the half. Really don’t have a clue why Hughes wants to play Shane long when you hav3 gallagher/gabbi who can’t make the squad and we have a poacher like Austin on the bench.
I'm at the game and this is total b0ll0cks. We have played a high tempo, pressing game. Ball retention is great. Approach play good. All we're missing is a finish. Only danger is getting caught on the break with a sucker punch. Palace have shown virtually nothing, because we haven't let them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Shane Long looking sharper than Ings so far, Lemina and Holberg are controlling the game. Cedric is crossing early which is threatening. Redmond needs to be more decisive, Moi is making good runs and getting forward but still doesn't look sharp. I think he will come good, he just needs to get up to fitness as the Swiss league compared to the Premier League is night and day. He likes to cut across and shoot which i like. So far we're the better team but i'm thinking that we lack a goal threat, perhaps Ings will score a rebound and we'll take a tight 1-0 win.

A team full of 15 million+ players and it's absolutely crap

It's not absolutely crap but it isn't very good. Most worrying is when we're on top we don't create enough. This is similar to last week so far in that we are the better side but not really creating much. Won't be surprised if the result ends up the same.

Funnily enough, in the last 15 minutes (couldn’t get stream until then) I thought we looked capable of creating chances. There were a few times where a better final ball or quicker decision making would have been the difference. Maybe it’s just a “feeling”, but we seem to be a bit more purposeful in the final third even if the quality isn’t there. That’s something, better than expecting the inevitable safe pass.

You know what, I think we look decent so far - only issue being I said that last week and we conspired a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ...

Long is doing well to bring others in to play, Ings shows really good touches and link up play (I have to concede I hadn't thought this was a such a strength for him), Hoj looking decent spraying balls out the Cedric, Redmond looking bright.

Our defensive shape has been fairly decent and there seems to be a clear idea of attack. Just need a goal for our hard work.

I daren't say anything too critical less it should come back to bite me but Benteke must be so frustrating for Palace fans. He bullied backlines for Villa!

This. Impressed by Hoedt. And for all the criticism of Long, you can see Hughes' thinking. He's using him not as striker but as a reliable outlet. Lemina doing a wonderful job turning the ball over. In general, we look more determined, more competent in the 50-50s. That augurs well. We deserve to be ahead. I'm sure we'll Austin before the 70th min...

I'm at the game and this is total b0ll0cks. We have played a high tempo, pressing game. Ball retention is great. Approach play good. All we're missing is a finish. Only danger is getting caught on the break with a sucker punch. Palace have shown virtually nothing, because we haven't let them.

This. Long has had two decent half chances blocked when if he had been just a little sharper / more confident he would have likely scored, or at least forced a save from Henderson

This. Impressed by Hoedt. And for all the criticism of Long, you can see Hughes' thinking. He's using him not as striker but as a reliable outlet. Lemina doing a wonderful job turning the ball over. In general, we look more determined, more competent in the 50-50s. That augurs well. We deserve to be ahead. I'm sure we'll Austin before the 70th min...

Yeah, the lack of place at cb still worries me with a vest/hoedt paring but I think a settled first choice paring can be a massive plus for any side.

Long and Ings seem to be working well in tandem.

Approach play is not good because if it was we'd have had some good opportunities to score.

We've been offered a glorious chance here with palace shorn of their one world class player & we've completely failed to take advantage of it so far.