• Lemina
    • Redmond
    • Elyounoussi
    • Ings
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Romeu
    • Targett

My God. If you have to try and strengthen your weak argument by questioning my English on a minute technicality you really do need to find more evidence to back up your opinions on the subject.

A poor attempt discredit my point which is, by the way based on 20 games not just one pass in one game.

Crawl back in your study and stick to what you claim to know best - construction of sentences! Idiot!

He wasn't questioning your English, he was helpfully pointing out a mistake so that you will know in future :)

We are a very poor side and I'm amazed Palace didn't equalise in the last 20 minutes. Hoedt was dreadful again, consistently bullied by Benteke but a fortunate clean sheet means he'll keep his place now. McCarthy made some great saves but also flapped at crosses that should have resulted in goals.

Long was fantastic up front holding the ball up and giving us an outlet, and Lemina and Hojbjerg were very good in midfield. The rest were pretty crap

Don't be daft, Hoedt helped keep a clean sheet and Benteke was neutralised and didn't score. Best you don't let your prejudices blind you when watching.

According to The Echo, Charlie Austin "won a penalty just minutes after being introduced." The truth is that Palace defender, Wan-Bissaka, gave away a penalty because he cheated, using his hands to prevent the ball going into the goal from Charlie's rather fumbled attempt. The only time a player 'wins' a free kick or a penalty is when they deceive the referee by cheating such as pretending they've been fouled, something that should not be part of football at all. The media should stop this practice of giving credit to a player when an opponent contravenes the rules of the game. Charlie would have scored a goal if Wan-Bissaka hadn't handled the ball. The fact that Saints failed to score from the penalty kick and the failure of the referee to have sent Wan-Bissaka off for deliberate hand ball to prevent a certain goal will only, will only have encouraged players to think that cheating is worthwhile.

Thought Cedric and PEH were both outstanding given the issues they have had in recent games. Both really stepped up. Cedric doesn't get many assists, so I hope he enjoyed the buzz and wants some more.

The nasty boo boys have been on Cedric's back for ages and you'll never change their blinkered way of judging him. This season he was very late back from holiday after the WC and it is no surprise that he wasn't fully up to speed immediately but of course the nasty boys were sticking the knife in straight away. On Saturday Hughes was impressed with him and more or less said that those late back from WC duties were now catching up and we saw an outstanding performance from him with that notable defence splitting pass setting up the sitter for Ings being one of the highlights of the match. Cedric may not be perfect but who is in this imperfect team. We are very lucky to have him and when Elyounoussi settles we will have a very strong attacking right flank.

According to The Echo, Charlie Austin "won a penalty just minutes after being introduced." The truth is that Palace defender, Wan-Bissaka, gave away a penalty because he cheated, using his hands to prevent the ball going into the goal from Charlie's rather fumbled attempt. The only time a player 'wins' a free kick or a penalty is when they deceive the referee by cheating such as pretending they've been fouled, something that should not be part of football at all. The media should stop this practice of giving credit to a player when an opponent contravenes the rules of the game. Charlie would have scored a goal if Wan-Bissaka hadn't handled the ball. The fact that Saints failed to score from the penalty kick and the failure of the referee to have sent Wan-Bissaka off for deliberate hand ball to prevent a certain goal will only, will only have encouraged players to think that cheating is worthwhile.

Didn't seem like a certain goal to me. That fumbled shot wasn't very likely to beat Hennessy who was right behind Wan Bissaka.

My God. If you have to try and strengthen your weak argument by questioning my English on a minute technicality you really do need to find more evidence to back up your opinions on the subject.

A poor attempt discredit my point which is, by the way based on 20 games not just one pass in one game.

Crawl back in your study and stick to what you claim to know best - construction of sentences! Idiot!

It was not an attempt to strengthen my argument, I was simply pointing out that using the word “of” in that context makes literally no sense at all. I don’t need to “crawl back into my study” because I don’t have one, I’m just a normal bloke with a pretty basic grasp of the English language.

As for Hoedt, it was not based on one pass in one game, it was based on many passes in many games. The wonderful thing about sport is the diverse opinions. I happen to completely disagree with yours, and most people’s assessments of Hoedt on this forum because they lack balance and perspective. Many have developed an intense dislike of the player, so I thought I would stick my two cents in.

You carry on being offended by my correcting of your poor English though, it’s adorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nasty boo boys have been on Cedric's back for ages and you'll never change their blinkered way of judging him. This season he was very late back from holiday after the WC and it is no surprise that he wasn't fully up to speed immediately but of course the nasty boys were sticking the knife in straight away. On Saturday Hughes was impressed with him and more or less said that those late back from WC duties were now catching up and we saw an outstanding performance from him with that notable defence splitting pass setting up the sitter for Ings being one of the highlights of the match. Cedric may not be perfect but who is in this imperfect team. We are very lucky to have him and when Elyounoussi settles we will have a very strong attacking right flank.

Steady on, it was a pass meant for Long that he was prevented from receiving by a foul, which then deceived the next defender with the bounce allowing Ings to slip in. I'm glad Cedric had a good game, it's about time.

I didn't think it was particularly deliberate. Admittedly I have only seen it once, but having heard on the commentary it was "the most obvious handball you will ever see" I was expecting him to have caught it and held it.

hardly deliberate handball

I didn't think it was particularly deliberate. Admittedly I have only seen it once, but having heard on the commentary it was "the most obvious handball you will ever see" I was expecting him to have caught it and held it.

No, I don't think it was either. It was very clumsy and easily avoidable, which is probably why the ref gave it, but it certainly wasn't a cynical attempt to prevent a certain goal that warranted a red card.

No, I don't think it was either. It was very clumsy and easily avoidable, which is probably why the ref gave it, but it certainly wasn't a cynical attempt to prevent a certain goal that warranted a red card.

exactly that. To be fair to the lad, he looks like he will have a very decent career in football

I agree it wasn't a red card but with the new rules its not a red anyway as they say it would be double punishment , as a sending off and a penalty.

I wasn't there, but the highlights showed that Palace had a lot of decent chances. It's not lucky to have a good keeper, but I don't think we'd want to see him tested as much as he was on a regular basis. This is a Palace side without their best player as well.

I appreciate showing a lot more attacking intent in the lineup will contribute towards that, but there will be some games we play like we did on Saturday and comfortably lose - we'll have to take the ups and downs with that.

I wasn't there, but the highlights showed that Palace had a lot of decent chances. It's not lucky to have a good keeper, but I don't think we'd want to see him tested as much as he was on a regular basis. This is a Palace side without their best player as well.

I appreciate showing a lot more attacking intent in the lineup will contribute towards that, but there will be some games we play like we did on Saturday and comfortably lose - we'll have to take the ups and downs with that.

I was there, and your impression gained from highlights is extremely erroneous. Apart from a spell after Long went off we pretty well dominated throughout. If we'd lost that comfortably, it would gave been daylight robbery.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was there, and your impression gained from highlights is extremely erroneous. Apart from a spell after Long went off we pretty well dominated throughout. If we'd lost that comfortably, it would gave been daylight robbery.

Fair enough - I'm just going on the highlights where it looked like Palace had a load of chances to score and McCarthy made decent saves. Many of them seemed to be post-penalty miss.

Fair enough - I'm just going on the highlights where it looked like Palace had a load of chances to score and McCarthy made decent saves. Many of them seemed to be post-penalty miss.
The point blank save from the Benteke header should have been a goal. I think McCarthy would have been disappointed of he'd let any others in.

I agree it wasn't a red card but with the new rules its not a red anyway as they say it would be double punishment , as a sending off and a penalty.

I'm usually quite understanding of handball, so struggling to see that some people thought it wasn't deliberate. Perhaps 'instinctive' rather than planned cheating, but Wan-Bissaka clearly brought his arm down as an attempt to stop the ball. Even his hand was in a position where it looks like he is trying to block/catch the ball.

As for the double jeopardy, I thought the rule was if it is an accidental foul (but a foul nonetheless), then the player is spared a red. Not just because it is a penalty. So if you deliberately hack someone down in the box, you still get a red card. Since handball has to be a deliberate action (I think?), the only way it could be a yellow and not a red is if it wasn't preventing a clear goalscoring opportunity. The fact that the ball was going in when Bissaka saved it suggests to me that it could have been a red. The only argument you could make is that the ball was travelling slowly enough that Hennessey would have saved it. I don't know how the rules interpret that situation.

To be fair MOTD made it look a much closer contest then it was.

Hodgson conceding they were second best for 60-70 mins probably sums it up,very gracious and honest from him.

Chilling in Mallorca so just had chance to see highlights and goals.

Great result and much needed 3 points. Let's hope this is a springboard rather than another false dawn.

COYY

Alpine must still be down at the pool putting his towels on the chairs while Dalek is out telling everyone they will definitely get skin cancer.

I do think there are situations where a goal should be awarded, like with the penalty try in rugby, if a foul prevents a certain goal. Can't remember the exact position of the 'keeper but as I remember it that was 100% a goal without the handball.

If not in this situation, then some others like the Suarez vs. Ghana incident, a goal should be awarded.

I do think there are situations where a goal should be awarded, like with the penalty try in rugby, if a foul prevents a certain goal. Can't remember the exact position of the 'keeper but as I remember it that was 100% a goal without the handball.

If not in this situation, then some others like the Suarez vs. Ghana incident, a goal should be awarded.

Agree but this situation certainly wasn't one of them. Powderpuff effort that would've easily been saved by the keeper had the defender not intervened.

It was not an attempt to strengthen my argument, I was simply pointing out that using the word “of” in that context makes literally no sense at all. I don’t need to “crawl back into my study” because I don’t have one, I’m just a normal bloke with a pretty basic grasp of the English language.

As for Hoedt, it was not based on one pass in one game, it was based on many passes in many games. The wonderful thing about sport is the diverse opinions. I happen to completely disagree with yours, and most people’s assessments of Hoedt on this forum because they lack balance and perspective. Many have developed an intense dislike of the player, so I thought I would stick my two cents in.

You carry on being offended by my correcting of your poor English though, it’s adorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How on Earth you can accuse ‘most people’ of lacking balance and perspective on this forum I don’t know....

You are rather too concerned with your own ‘perspective’ mate on many counts.

You need to watch a game a lot more closely before you start accusing people of lacking perspective and take a look your sanctimonious attitude to others opinions.

Agree but this situation certainly wasn't one of them. Powderpuff effort that would've easily been saved by the keeper had the defender not intervened.

Having re-watched the highlights, you’re right; the keeper was in a much more favourable position than I remember.