The top 5 goals you witnessed and went crazy

Pilchards

As we have a boring International break it’s nice to think of the good things in the past.

(1) Le Tissier vs Arsenal in the last game at the dell. What a strike and a fantastic pitch invasion too.

(2) Pahars vs Everton in the great escape. That was a relief and an amazing atmosphere that day.

(3) Gabby’s equaliser vs Utd at Wembley as the noise was electric afterwards.

(4) Crouch last minute penalty vs the skates. Think I sang Harry and Jim for a fortnight.

(5) The Channon wonder goal where it was ping pong through a good Liverpool side.

The one goal I wished I was there but was too young - Stokes at Wembley, Never gave us a chance but we rolled them over :)

Edited by Pilchards

1. Stokes at Wembley.

2. Moran at Pompey.

3. Camera v Norwich .

4. Gabbi at Wembley.

5. Gabbi at Swansea

Camara' s saw me run up and down the aisle at st Mary's and high five a bloke coming the other way.

Gabbi's at Swansea was amazing. Sitting in the front row I was able to have great eye contact with Hoedt as we celebrated. Brilliant.

1. Gabbi’s equaliser at Wembley, went ape sh*t for a good minute.

2. Lambert’s penalty to beat Millwall in injury time.

3. Lambert at Fratton

4. Phillips vs Villa in 2005, first goal I saw live.

5. Barnard’s winner against MK Dons

Honourable mentions to:

Chaplow in a Cup tie against Man Utd in league 1.

The o.g. Against Inter Milan

1. Stokes at Wembley.

2. Moran at Pompey.

3. Camera v Norwich .

4. Gabbi at Wembley.

5. Gabbi at Swansea

Camara' s saw me run up and down the aisle at st Mary's and high five a bloke coming the other way.

Gabbi's at Swansea was amazing. Sitting in the front row I was able to have great eye contact with Hoedt as we celebrated. Brilliant.

That last line sounds a bit creepy

Immediate thoughts:

1. Moran v Pompey

2. Gilchrist v Palace S/F 1976

3. David Armstrong last minute v Man Utd 1981

4. Ruddock last minute penalty 1980's v Newcastle

5 Stokes v Utd 1976

Strange that Stokes lower than Gilchrist's S/F goal but my recollection (quite young at the time) is that the S/F goal was great excitement that we might be going to the final. On the day itself, when we scored my initial reaction was a few seconds for it to sink in.

Honourable mentions:

Le Tissier v Newcastle 1994 - first and second one

Channon - team goal v Liverpool 1984, and first v WBA FA CUP replay 1976(after about 30 seconds)

De Ridder v Reading away (strangely random selection)

Fisher v Villa (although never imagined where it would lead).

Arm chair category - Lambert v Scotland

An interesting thing here is that as a general rule the celebration factor increases with theimportance and lateness of the goal, enhanced significantly by pre-match beer consumption.

Edited by Badger

Love threads like these, and the stories that go with them. Personally only including the ones I was physically at or watching at the time.

- Shane Long at Liverpool in the Semi final. The general hatred of all things Liverpool and being up against it all game, to break and score to put us in the final, I just went ballistic.

- Lambert away at Millwall to make it 3-2. Was just mayhem in that away end, and we all left knowing we had what it takes to go up. Incredible day.

- Gabbi at Wembley.

- Billy Sharp v Pompey. Can’t deny that what happened about 2 minutes later was about as high a man can go to about as low, but in that moment it was magic nonetheless.

- De Ridder v Reading. Wierd one this, but I just remember going absolutely mad when that went in. So did everyone. Proper explosion in the away end!

Immediate thoughts:

1. Moran v Pompey

2. Gilchrist v Palace S/F 1976

3. David Armstrong last minute v Man Utd 1981

4. Ruddock last minute penalty 1980's v Newcastle

5 Stokes v Utd 1976

Strange that Stokes lower than Gilchrist's S/F goal but my recollection (quite young at the time) is that the S/F goal was great excitement that we might be going to the final. On the day itself, when we scored my initial reaction was a few seconds for it to sink in.

Honourable mentions:

Le Tissier v Newcastle 1994 - first and second one

Channon - team goal v Liverpool 1984, and first v WBA FA CUP replay 1976(after about 30 seconds)

De Ridder v Reading away (strangely random selection)

Fisher v Villa (although never imagined where it would lead).

Arm chair category - Lambert v Scotland

Armchair - 100% Lambert for England, I screamed the bloody house down.

The Armstrong one was class too as he just burst through and slammed home the winner. I was going crazy in the chocolate boxes.

Edited by Pilchards

Not in order but,

Le Tiss at home to Newcastle

Long at Anfield in the cup

Barry Horne and his worldy

Pahars against Everton

Gabbi's second at Wembley in the league cup final.

There's f*cking hundreds more too but those were the first that fell out the memory banks.

Armchair - 100% Lambert for England, I screamed the bloody house down.

The Armstrong one was class too as he just burst through and slammed home the winner. I was going crazy in the chocolate boxes.

Great memories Pilchards aren't they ?

Thank you for bringing this topic up and giving the opportunity to dig these memories out of the archives. Reminds us that it hasn't always been sh!t following the club, especially in the days before Sky/corporate era.

Great memories Pilchards aren't they ?

Thank you for bringing this topic up and giving the opportunity to dig these memories out of the archives. Reminds us that it hasn't always been sh!t following the club, especially in the days before Sky/corporate era.

Live on the memories m8, especially when Le Tiss was banging them in from all angles.

Some from L1 and thé Championship

-Fonte’s header against Brighton.

-3-2 away win at Preston (having been 2 down).

-A midweek injury time equaliser at Wolves after Vignal had been sent off and they had got a 90th min pen.

-Forte’s brace against MK Dons.

I also remember a crazy 4-3 win against Ipswich at the Dell. There must have been 3 goals in the last 5 mins. We took the lead with what seemed like a late winner only for Kiwomya to equalise but incredibly we managed to come again through MLT.

Edited by shurlock

Phil Boyer - smacking in the 5th against Blackburn promotion season 1978, only the second game I had been to. - we were going up!!

Paul Telfer - Yup strange one, v Newcastle last game first season at SMS down to 10 men, solo effort, everyone bouncing around lad next to me crying "I've never seen us win before"!

Henri Camara - Anyone who was there can't ever forget that goal, fading minutes of the game 3-3 whole Stadium on its feet roaring the team on, Daisy cutter hits the back of the net and the whole stadium explodes cheers hugging crying........we had a chance!

Papa Waigo or Dan Harding (who cares) - JPT v Norwich, we were going out, that lump Grant Holt laying on the floor feigning he had been shot ref waved him away we go down the other end 93rd minute score 2-2 phew! 15,500ish in the ground 4 of us 40 & 50 somethings bouncing around like 14 year olds (well like they did when we were 14).......Bialkowski saved 3 penalties in the shoot out that just kept us going.

Finally

David Peach - League Cup Final 1979........ Shilton floundering on the floor as Peach rounded him (everyone almost as a whisper "we're going to score") to slot home the opener, everyone went mad, I stopped because my often serious and always calm Dad, who had driven me up there, was at his first ever live football game just went absolutely nuts bouncing around like he was possessed - that will live with me for ever and ever.

Like others have said so many others to mention, Beattie v Pompey league cup - crackling atmosphere. same season Beattie v Pompey 20th Dec game Baird down the wing like an express train crosses Beattie "merry Christmas Saints fans", Previous season Boxing Day Beattie 1-0 v Spurs and that nasty Mr Hoddle beaten. Jonathan Forte v MK Dons 0-2 down 1st touch absolute pants 2nd touch back of the net, 3rd touch moments later likewise. Every goal scored against Coventry to be promoted the whole stadium was bouncing. Gabbi hatrick in the EFl final, twirling scarves after his "3rd" what a sight (even a Manc mate down the other end said him and many others were just going wow look at that).

Can't leave without a Matty Mention - May 95, glorious evening, re arranged game V Palace sat in the Milton Road End, Matty had already scored a remarkable goal in the opening minute think it went down as an OG though, late in the game edge of the 18 yard box Matty hits one everyone (me included) in line of the shot said to themselves keeper has that.......... "how the hell is that in the back of the net!!!!!". Cheering and hugging all round, till the final whistle those in-front and behind us asking each other just how did he do that!!!

Cheers Pilchards for blowing the cobwebs off.................. I could type for hours you bugger! :D

Edited by John Boy Saint

- Monkou at Norwich

- Le Tiss at Burnden Park

- Pahars (either) v Everton

- Le Tiss home to Toon

- Maskell home v Liverpool, Valentines Day Massacre?

I wasn't lucky enough to be there, but I always consider that to be the 2nd greatest Saints goal. No stream in those days of course, and not even commentary here in the USA. Had to tune into the crackling BBC world service for the final results, knowing that a loss (even a draw) would be curtains. No updates, I had no clue what was going on. Then it came in .. Norwich 4 (slight pause, "****ing hell, that's it, we're down" flashed through my mind) ... Southampton 5 (WTF???)

Great thread BTW.

4:37 01/05/76. Time literally stood still. From where I was stood somewhere above and to the side of the tunnel you could actually see Stepney wasn’t getting there. Surreal experience watching those seconds unravel.

Yes, I was standing there with my mates and Stokesy put in the shot which didn't look all that vicious, Stepney dived, then I thought, he ain't going to get that and the place went wild.

Unfortunately due to not going to as many games as I would have liked to over the years my 5 are going to be pretty random:

1. Gabbi's equaliser at Wembley

2. Lambert v Pompey (in FA Cup)

3. Le Tissier v Villa (1994 - away)

4. Fonte v Coventry

5. Hooiveld v Coventry

I would like to add the following goals which I went proper ape-sh*t over either in the pub or at home

1. Long v Liverpool

2. Gabbi v Swansea

3. Rasiak v Derby

4. Chaplow v United (FA Cup)

5. Ormerod v Watford (FA Cup)

Ruddock last minute penalty 1980's v Newcastle

This is the first one that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. 1988/89 was my first season truly following the club and I had only been to about 3 or 4 home games before this one. We had been on such a poor run (I think it was something like 23 games without a win) so my only experience of live matches up to this point was to see us struggle and lose and for the crowd to be agitated, nervous and ultimately grumpy.

This was in the days before the transfer windows and Ruddock had only just signed for us a few weeks before the end of the season. It was looking like it was going to be yet another frustrating result when the ref gave us the last minute penalty. Razor went and stuck it in the top corner and introduced us all to the trademark 'Ruddock Stomp' goal celebration, and the whole ground erupted like nothing I had ever witnessed before. I was 14 years old, standing in the Milton Road end, and I finally understood why fans of small-ish clubs like ours put themselves through so much regular disappointment and heartache, so we can experience magical moments like that. I think I ended up about 20-25 ft away from where I had been standing when the celebrations died down.

I was hooked! ;)

don't think anything will ever have the feeling of Morans goal at Fratton. It was just the circumstances and 6000 Saints fans

MLT v Arsenal at the Dell

Currans goal v Leeds

MLT at Dellhurst we were in a group of Saints fans away section

Tommy Jenkins goal away at WHU my first away game

Channon v Liverpool

(1) Le Tissier vs Arsenal in the last game at the dell. What a strike and a fantastic pitch invasion too.

(2) Pahars vs Everton in the great escape. That was a relief and an amazing atmosphere that day.

(3) Gabby’s equaliser vs Utd at Wembley as the noise was electric afterwards.

These three for me. Two other Pahars goals stand out - away at Old Trafford after the Stam nutmeg and his goal against Pompey. I'd be tempted to stick Beattie's opener/winner in Hoddle's first game back as Spurs manager too.

In terms of celebrations away from the ground, I remember going a bit mental in a pub when Viafara equalised against Derby in the playoffs. I don't normally watch football in the pub, but had gone there after work with some colleagues and a minute or two earlier had had to endure a few Derby fans celebrating their goal.

don't think anything will ever have the feeling of Morans goal at Fratton. It was just the circumstances and 6000 Saints fans

MLT v Arsenal at the Dell

Currans goal v Leeds

MLT at Dellhurst we were in a group of Saints fans away section

Tommy Jenkins goal away at WHU my first away game

Channon v Liverpool

there were far more than 6,000 Saints fans at Fratton in 84, we had the Milton End, and Seats in North Stand and fans in half the paddock South Stand, and in section of seats above that day at least 10,000 Saints fans there

Excellent thread. For those that I was actually present at:

1) Camara v Norwich in 2005. Loudest I have ever known SMS

2) Billy Sharp second goal v Portsmouth in 2012

3) Billy Sharp v Coventry in 2012

4) Tony Funnell at Orient in 1978

5) Tadic at Man U in 2015

Plus an honourable mention for Curran's goal v Leeds in 1979 and Channon's goal of a 1000 passes in 1982

For games watched at home Stokes goal in 1976 obviously wins it. With Rickie Lambert's goal v Scotland a close second.

Being a football fan is about emotion and all about these moments described. The importance of the goal is not always matched by the euphoria. Pent up stress and then relief can play a big part.

Many of those mentioned above I was suffering on the radio. The effect can be just the same but private. My list is only those I have witnessed.

1) Matty v Arsenal. Just for every reason except the importance of the goal. He was not called Le God for nothing. We worshipped him and this summed up his glorious career.

2) Has to be Stokes for the exact opposite reasons.

3) Ormerod in the cup semi final.

4) Long v Liverpool. Perfect timing following 90 minutes of stress.

5) Armstrong v United. Largely because of the best goal ever disallowed by Keegan. Armstrong was marginally offside. Last minute following a see-saw game. One of my favourite underrated players. It was United.

Honorary mention. Ricky v Scotland. Nobody deserved it more. Such a sad decline afterwards.

At the opposite end of scale, Adrian **** Heath in the Highbury semi final. Worst moment of my footballing life by a long way.

Nice thread. Should have been a summer one.

there were far more than 6,000 Saints fans at Fratton in 84, we had the Milton End, and Seats in North Stand and fans in half the paddock South Stand, and in section of seats above that day at least 10,000 Saints fans there
Im not sure about that. I thought the allocation was 6000

1. Monkou at Norwich - still gives me the shivers to think of it

2. Alec Lindsay - looping headed o.g at the Dell to give Saints a 1:0 win over Liverpool

3. Chris Marsden - mazy dribble at Ipswich

4. Channon - 89th minute winner against champions Everton (1970)

5. Jimmy Gabriel - header against Spurs, my first Saints goal (1969)

1. Moran v Skates 84.

2. Stokes at Wembley

3. Gilchrist at Stamford Bridge in the S/F. Ended up about 30 yards down the Shed terrace.

4. Beattie at Dellhurst Park. Injured shins falling over the seats in the main stand.

5. Peach penalty in the last minute at Luton 78. Almost guaranteed promotion.

Can't include Matt's goal against Arsenal as I just stood there crying.

1. Moran v Skates 84 - far and away the best moment of my football watching life

2. Moran late winner at Liverpool 1981?? after Katalinic had played the best game of his Saints career

3. Le Tiss last game at the Dell

4. Camara v Norwich at St Mary's

5. Gabbi at Swansea last season

At the opposite end of scale, Adrian **** Heath in the Highbury semi final. Worst moment of my footballing life by a long way.

Couldn't agree more. As bad a moment as 1 above was great

1) Gabbiadini's second at Wembley

2) Rickie's goal v Man City, 2012

3) Beattie's header/shoulder v Wimbledon in 99, followed by MLT direct from a corner

4) Either of the MLT stunners v Newcastle - choose your favourite

5) Pahars v the Skates 2003, sublime goal and I was sat right behind it. Honorable mention to Matt Oakley for his stunning long ranger in 2005 which stunned the blue few into silence, even the Chapel went nuts!

Pahars v Everton 2002 - a late-ish penalty. Memorable for me as I had been living overseas for some time and this was my first match in years. I surprised myself at the emotion I showed.

Camara v Norwich. I had to sit down and compose myself after my exertions. I felt quite unwell.

The 'Niemi' goal v Fulham at Loftus Road. The entire away end went absolutely nuts.

Beattie's first goal in the League Cup tie against you-know-who.

Channon for England v Scotland. 1976. My joyous celebration was deliberately short-lived as the match was at Hampden and I'm not that daft. To be fair to the Scottish fans around me, the only 'abuse' I received was a loud chorus of 'spot-the-loony'.

And another special moment ... Loftus Road against QPR in 2007 - the 'Ray Jones memorial match'. We dominated, were 3-0 up and then the Saints fans started singing 'One Ray Jones, There's only one Ray Jones'. The QPR fans stood up and applauded us.

Great thread Pilchards. Had periods of being a season ticket holder at both The Dell and SMS, but also long periods without so I'll have missed a few, but here's my 5:

1. Mick Channon v Liverpool in 1984 - The best team goal ever seen against a team that won the European Cup that season.

2. Marion Pahars v Pompey - Latvian genius, say no more.

3. David McGoldrick v Preston away - Odd choice this one, but just sticks out in my mind. We were so bad under Poortvliet, 2-0 down at half time, and from somewhere we fought back to 2-2, and then McGoldrick weaves his way through their defence in the last minute, Not many there but mental celebrations.

4. Shane Long v Liverpool in the League Cup Semi Final - They battered us during that second half, and we obviously were missing VvD. I remember the lad next to me asking me how long to go when we were only 20 mins into the that second half! The release of tension when that went in was incredible.

5. Gabbi v Man Utd at Wembley (2nd goal) - However well we played, thought we were dead and buried at 2-0 down. Ah well, good while it lasted.

near misses:

Tony Funnell v Orient - the goal that got us promoted in 78.

Beattie v Pompey - FA Cup, just can't beat a goal against the skates.

Great thread Pilchards. Had periods of being a season ticket holder at both The Dell and SMS, but also long periods without so I'll have missed a few, but here's my 5:

1. Mick Channon v Liverpool in 1984 - The best team goal ever seen against a team that won the European Cup that season.

2. Marion Pahars v Pompey - Latvian genius, say no more.

3. David McGoldrick v Preston away - Odd choice this one, but just sticks out in my mind. We were so bad under Poortvliet, 2-0 down at half time, and from somewhere we fought back to 2-2, and then McGoldrick weaves his way through their defence in the last minute, Not many there but mental celebrations.

4. Shane Long v Liverpool in the League Cup Semi Final - They battered us during that second half, and we obviously were missing VvD. I remember the lad next to me asking me how long to go when we were only 20 mins into the that second half! The release of tension when that went in was incredible.

5. Gabbi v Man Utd at Wembley (2nd goal) - However well we played, thought we were dead and buried at 2-0 down. Ah well, good while it lasted.

near misses:

Tony Funnell v Orient - the goal that got us promoted in 78.

Beattie v Pompey - FA Cup, just can't beat a goal against the skates.

Preston away was a good one - can’t believe there aren’t a few more mentions for Fonte’s header against Brighton which ensured that promotion was in our own hands.

this pompey site says 9,000 and forgets to include the seats in North Stand where some of my mates were and had all sorts thrown at them during the game http://www.pompeyvoices.co.uk/story/129b7e1877

Without a shadow of doubt it was officially 9,000. That's not including all the forged tickets for the fratton end that got rumbled :)

That was a special mad moment in 84 but there's just too many from when I started going regularly c: 1970 but more modern day stand-outs would be Le Tiss last league game at the Dell, Rasiak at Derby (Play-offs), De Ridder away at Reading (everyone just went mental - strange but true) among several others.

And what I would do for a Moran 84 moment in my lifetime.
I was one of the privileged to be there that day. It is impossible to describe that feeling.They have beaten us since but it would not be the same as the timing of the goal as well as so many of us there. Ironically we got the same sickening feeling as we lost in the semi final in the last minute or so. That little runt Heath

Without a shadow of doubt it was officially 9,000. That's not including all the forged tickets for the fratton end that got rumbled :)

That was a special mad moment in 84 but there's just too many from when I started going regularly c: 1970 but more modern day stand-outs would be Le Tiss last league game at the Dell, Rasiak at Derby (Play-offs), De Ridder away at Reading (everyone just went mental - strange but true) among several others.

That De Ridder goal was mental. About 5000 of us behind that goal, nearly broke my ankle after getting it trapped behind the seat and the concrete and having about 50 people on top of me. Great day, even if I couldn't walk properly for about a month.

Far and away Number 1 Bobby in 1976;

Steve Moran shades 2 as we went several yards down the terrace when he scored, manic;

MLT v Arsenal at the Dell I cried never ever done that over a goal;

Pahars v Everton from the same seat in the East Stand;

Since then so many candidates, but not so euphoric; Lambert V Jocks up there though!