The top 5 goals you witnessed and went crazy

Pilchards

In no particular order (apart from vaguely chronological:

Frank Worthington 8-2 v Coventry - A bit of a cult hero of mine & IIRC had been on a bit of a goal drought.

Neil Ruddock v Newecastle - Last minute penalty, that no-one wanted to take, up stepped Razor who nearly broke the net, it set us on the way to survival.

Pahars v Skates - went mental & my mobile fell from my pocket & shattered into a thousand pieces.

Lambert v The Jocks - I was on a family holiday to the IoW, and 'somehow' ended up in a bar on Sandown sea front. My sons & I went bonkers when he rose like a salmon & planted the ball in the back of the net.

Gabbi V Man U, his second, I thought we would go on to win

Great memories.

1: Bobby Stokes in 76

2: Le Tiss in the last Dell game V Arsenal

3:, 4:, 5: and many more special goals that I can`t put them in order, but a few are Lambert v skates, Mane`s last kick winner at QPR, Omerod in the Semi at Villa Park, Le Tiss last minute free kick winner V villa at the Dell and so many more, always good to go mental when the goal means something:):)

1. Pahars v Blackburn, late equaliser (3-3) in Great Escape season

2. Le Tiss 94th minute equaliser at the Dell v Newcastle in '97 under Souness, when we had been 2-0 down going into stoppage time - the hardest I've ever seen a ball hit

3. Rasiak at Derby in play-off semi

4. Long at Anfield

5. Armstrong v Man Utd - last minute winner in the Keegan overhead kick game

Le Tiss last minute free kick winner V villa at the Dell

I was going to mention that one - probably the most dramatic thing I have ever seen on a football pitch live.

It's one thing scoring a last minute winner but a free kick from that distance in the last minute of a vital relegation scrap is something else. I remember thinking that it was the football equivalent of hitting a home run off the last ball in baseball or scoring a 6 of the last ball in cricket.

Pahars V's Skates - Just came back from Injury. Love that man!

Lambert Vs Scotland - Legend! Knew he was gonna score as soon as he came on

Camara Vs Norwich - Late winner that gave us hope of staying up

Beattie V's Skates - The first derby at St Marys. Finger to the ear towards the skates supporters

Rasiak V's Derby - Away in the play offs to take it into extra time

Probably depends where you were stood but Lambert vs pompey in the cup will take some beating. The entire itchen North went f*cking mental, people flying over rows of seats, exactly how a derby is meant to be.

I've been in other parts of the ground for games against them lot and some people might as well have been watching a friendly against Bolton the way they "reacted" to a goal.

Probably depends where you were stood but Lambert vs pompey in the cup will take some beating. The entire itchen North went f*cking mental, people flying over rows of seats, exactly how a derby is meant to be.

I've been in other parts of the ground for games against them lot and some people might as well have been watching a friendly against Bolton the way they "reacted" to a goal.

So because people fly over seats on to others that could include older people and children you wish to judge there support... :lol:

All you do on here is moan and complain about sfc yet you think its ok to complain about others support... :rolleyes:

Long at Anfield

Lambert at Fratton

Rasiak at Derby in the play offs (the stand was shaking)

Matty against Arsenal

Camara against Norwich

I'm also a big fan of the De Ridder against Reading goal. Amazing celebration. That one plus Pahars against Everton, Gabbi's second against Man Utd and the winner at Swansea just fail to make my top 5. There's not a lot in it though.

Also want to mention the time I watched Palace beat Pompey 4-2 at Fratton in an end of season Championship relegation scrap. A few of us went in the away end with a Palace mate. When they scored the 4th it was properly mental, people on the pitch, on the floor, falling on top of each other. We got crushed against the wall in the front row, my mate got his hand cut open and wrote SFC on the wall with his blood. Pompey fans were throwing season tickets on the pitch and burning shirts. Annoyingly they won the week after and stayed up but that was a fun day.

Lambert v Pompey FA Cup

sharp V Pompey league 2nd goal

Long at anfield

Gabbiadinis second at Wembley

Pahars equaliser at the Dell 3-3 v Liverpool 2000

Le Tiss last goal at the Dell

How the f*ck did i forget Le Tiss against Arsenal!! What a feeling that was, and what a night out it was after (think i still owe Hammy an apology for my state when i made it to the Dorch)

To be fair i could do a top five of just Le Tiss goals alone.

The three i'm gutted i never made were Moran, Stokes and Monkou in the 5-4

Tommy Jenkins great dribble at Upton Park in the 1-1 draw in 1970.

Bobby Stokes in the final. From the angle I was sitting it looked like the ball was going past the post. Went ape when the net rippled.

Rookie defender Mark Whitlock scoring the late winner against Stoke in 1982 in the classic 4-3 win. 3-0 at half time. Ex Skate Alan Biley led their fightback and ex Saint Dave Watson hit a screamer for them.

Pahars late equaliser against Blackburn in the 3-3 draw at the start of The Great Escape in 1999 and his brace against Everton on the final day to keep us up all prompted mayhem amongst the fans.

Tony Funnell's goal to give us a draw at Orient that virtually guaranteed promotion in 1978. The place went ape, the crowd surged forward and we were crushed against the retaining wall, which then gave way. Thankfully no one was badly hurt and I ended up walking off the pitch with the players at the end of the match!

You might like to watch the youtube link below (from 37 seconds onwards)

That's the Chapel after Billy Sharp's second goal in 2012!

Edited by kwsaint
added text

Excellent thread. For those that I was actually present at:

4) Tony Funnell at Orient in 1978

I forgot that one, yes fantastic

Yes, good one but although I recall the goal and celebration that memory was overtaken the same night by the euphoria at the end, and the wall along the front of the terrace collapsing. Then a few thousand Saints fans charging onto the pitch (Oh, the follies of youth...).

1: Bobby Stokes in 76

2: Le Tiss in the last Dell game V Arsenal

3:, 4:, 5: and many more special goals that I can`t put them in order, but a few are Lambert v skates, Mane`s last kick winner at QPR, Omerod in the Semi at Villa Park, Le Tiss last minute free kick winner V villa at the Dell and so many more, always good to go mental when the goal means something:):)

I was sat alongside my Boss who had taken me on his sons ST in amongst the QPR fans, thankfully just as Mane pulled the trigger he uttered “oh dear here we go” that just checked me from jumping up and cheering........especially as there was a big bloke behind me who had probably eaten his family before heading out to the game, who was calling Elia a Jessie and all sorts for staying down a bit too long in his mind, after he just taken a QPR boot flat out straight into the Wedding Vegetables. I turned round and said to him that I think he could be granted some slack as I doubt many of us Chaps would be getting up too quick from a full volley right in the Genitalmens department.......... Boss whispered blimey that was brave!

Only 5 whew.

1. Terry Paine v Charlton 1966. In my view the most important goal ever scored at the Dell.

2. Bobby Stokes Wembley. The most important goal ever.

3.Paul Gilchrist semi final. It made all our dreams come true.

4.Steve Moran at Pompey. The most satisfying goal ever.

5.MLT last game at Dell. Most emotional goal ever.

Honourable mention to several dozen more from David Burnside to Gabby.

Brilliant topic this, I agree with many of the goals mentioned already but I will be different and pick three from one game.

I have such amazing memories from this game, 1-0 down at home to Newcastle on 86 minutes then Neil Heaney equalised, Gordon Watson put us in front and Neil Shipperley finished Newcastle off for a 3-1 win. I just remember the Archers going absolutely ape**** for all three goals (I was totally knackered), this was the famous game when the stadium announcer told us all in the Archers to sit down so after a few songs with expletives telling him where to go, the atmosphere in that second half was just incredible. That was probably the best game I have been to for so many reasons.

Matty's v Arsenal was just the fairytale for him and all of us, not to mention the quality of it. I was so relieved that Chris Marsden's 25 yarder straight after was tipped over the bar, I'm pretty sure it just would not have been as special for everyone there (sorry Chris).

Marian Pahars last minute equaliser v Liverpool at the Dell from 3-0 down with 20 minutes left where he jumped up on the wall behind the goal at the Archers and everyone was just going mental.

Am I the only person who still misses the Dell to this day! Even with only 15,000, the atmosphere there was so special and dare I say it, intimidating for the opposition.

Brilliant topic this, I agree with many of the goals mentioned already but I will be different and pick three from one game.

I have such amazing memories from this game, 1-0 down at home to Newcastle on 86 minutes then Neil Heaney equalised, Gordon Watson put us in front and Neil Shipperley finished Newcastle off for a 3-1 win. I just remember the Archers going absolutely ape**** for all three goals (I was totally knackered), this was the famous game when the stadium announcer told us all in the Archers to sit down so after a few songs with expletives telling him where to go, the atmosphere in that second half was just incredible. That was probably the best game I have been to for so many reasons.

Matty's v Arsenal was just the fairytale for him and all of us, not to mention the quality of it. I was so relieved that Chris Marsden's 25 yarder straight after was tipped over the bar, I'm pretty sure it just would not have been as special for everyone there (sorry Chris).

Marian Pahars last minute equaliser v Liverpool at the Dell from 3-0 down with 20 minutes left where he jumped up on the wall behind the goal at the Archers and everyone was just going mental.

Am I the only person who still misses the Dell to this day! Even with only 15,000, the atmosphere there was so special and dare I say it, intimidating for the opposition.

cracking game that. It was all bizarre at the end.

Kiston scored for them....i think

Those two goals in a game against Newcastle from Le Tiss....I would have only been about 13...

Le Tiss with that free kick...did bugger all else that game but you dont need to when you score like that

both jump out for me

Edited by Batman

Loved that game, was in block 5 of the Archers for that and remember seeing the faces of the Geordies close up who just couldn't believe what had happened, from then on in the Archers stood all game and we could make one hell of a racket in the bikeshed when we wanted to.

To this day i refuse to acknowledge the goals against Brighton in the "curtain closer" for the Dell. Le God scored the last ever goal there. Anything else isn't important.

Think there might be a photo of that somewhere which i can see myself in, another of those amazing games.

God no! I loved the Dell, and still love the Dell, and if i'm honest i'd go back there in a shot and say f*ck it to the relegation it'd inevitably cause

Moran v Pompey, absolute bedlam, chaos and euphoria all rolled into one. My dad and brother who were standing next to ended up 10 terrace steps apart after the mayhem had died down.

Camera v Norwich

Horne v Bolton. Carnage in the East Terrace next to the Bolton fans, absolutely brilliant times.

Loved that game, was in block 5 of the Archers for that and remember seeing the faces of the Geordies close up who just couldn't believe what had happened, from then on in the Archers stood all game and we could make one hell of a racket in the bikeshed when we wanted to.

I'd forgotten that one. I was in the Archers that night as well, just where Gordon Watson piled in to celebrate the second. I just remember Pavel Srnicek beating the ground in frustration after bobbling the ball for the the third goal, he was not happy. Would have been a long trip back for them that night.

Alas that was looking after our sprouts night while Mrs JBS was at work, I recall looking on Teletext thinking that record from 1972 (or whenever) is going down the pan, page refreshed “oh maybe not”.......refreshed on full time “wow that must have been fun”

Next night on South Today they showed the highlights with the Solent commentary overlaid, almost made up for missing it in person, the Solent tater must have been hosed down at the final whistle just to stop him spontaneously combusting.

I did ask South Today if there was some way of seeing if it was still in their archive when a similar thread came up, sadly no joy.

I've missed some biggies from the list that others have seen so my list is this:

1) Shane Long at Anfield, Lge Cup SF second leg

2) Gabbiadini just after half time against Man U in the EFL Cup Final

3) Gabbiadini against Swansea last away game of last season

4) Fonte at the Withdean

5) Pahars against Portsmouth at St Mary's

Strange that neither of the FA Cup semi goals from 2003 are on there, nor any of our goals in Europe, and I remember celebrating the Higginbotham Palace equalising goal more than Camara's against Norwich. The JPT Final goals were more relief than anything. Lambert at Fratton and Billy Sharp against them at St Mary's were good at the time...

Unrelated but on a par and would be at number 3 above - Newport County's opening goal against Spurs in the FA Cup 4th Round last season.

1 - Moran at Pompey

2 - Bret Ormerod in the Semi final at Villa Park

3 - Tony Funnell at Leyton Orient

4 - All 3 Gabbiadin goals at Wembley

5 - Steve Willaims solo goal against Norwich ( no TV pictures in those days) . I swopped my season ticket that day to stand up the Archers a with a mate. He always stood next to this bloke who spent the whole game saying "Williams,you have the brains of a rocking horse!" . Nil Nil 2nd half and Williams takes a short pass from Keegan, dribbles past 5 Norwich players before curling it into the far corner . I gave that bloke so much sh@t !