Internationals week

whelk

Its football overkill

The World Cup was good but give international fixtures a rest ffs

Who cares about a nations league?

...and it's only on Sky which means even fewer of us will get to see games played by the national team which means in turn that that the national team will have even less relevance to most fans than it does now.

That's one fat goose plucked!

I was haviong a quick skim through the online sports sections and came across this - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6275259/It-31-years-England-player-scored-Spain.html

Only realised that we were playing tonight (vs Spain) because of this article. Maybe those with Sky knew about it, but it really must be the most poorly introduced, conceived and contrived international competition that has ever been introduced.

What a pleasing sight it is watching a team full of young, fearless lads who seem to genuinely love playing for their team/country.

I’d much rather watch England and international football than I would saints / the premier league millions and players stealing a living not giving 2 sh!ts about the club the play for.

Well done Southgate.

Also, what a great idea the nations league is btw.

What a pleasing sight it is watching a team full of young, fearless lads who seem to genuinely love playing for their team/country.

I’d much rather watch England and international football than I would saints / the premier league millions and players stealing a living not giving 2 sh!ts about the club the play for.

Well done Southgate.

How times change.

Well done Southgate.

Agree on the well done Southgate thing! I've gone from despising England and the morons who played for the team (definitely "club before country") to admiring this new England team and style and enjoying it more than Saints. Having said that, I didn't even realise England were playing Croatia the other night ... one might assume that due to no crowd, the media played it down.

Doing our best to throw it away. Not sure what all the hype is about Pickford. Is he really that good?
Not at all. He's decent with his feet, but he's not much of a keeper. Poor handling and gets beaten by so many shots that are nowhere near the corners of the net because he's short with no great spring.

Sadly, his current rivals for the number one spot are all quite poor on the ball and Southgate doesn't appear to be prepared to compromise on the need for his keeper to be an auxiliary outfielder.

But, hey, it was still a good win for England. Joe Gomez is a real star in the making.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Well done Southgate.

Fickle fans huh. But you have suggested frequently supporting Saints doesn’t do much for you. The only person I know who must welcome the break then.

“Young fearless lads’ let’s not get carried away. You watch the Croatia game?

International football is still sh1t but credit to Southgate doing a grand job.

Not at all. He's decent with his feet, but he's not much of a keeper. Poor handling and gets beaten by so many shots that are nowhere near the corners of the net because he's short with no great spring.

Sadly, his current rivals for the number one spot are all quite poor on the ball and Southgate doesn't appear to be prepared to compromise on the need for his keeper to be an auxiliary outfielder.

But, hey, it was still a good win for England. Joe Gomez is a real star in the making.

Liverpool fans calling him cocktail sausage arms made me smile.

He is an excellent shot stopper ask Danny Ings

Pickford is obviously the best he has to choose from.

Good shot stopper, alright technically and excellent on the ball 99% of the time

Edited by Batman

Fickle fans huh. But you have suggested frequently supporting Saints doesn’t do much for you. The only person I know who must welcome the break then.

I did watch the Croatia game and, whilst it was dull for the majority of the game (empty stadium didn’t help) I think England played pretty well. If rashford had put away his 2 chances then we win 2-0 and probably go on to win the group.

I just don’t enjoy watching saints anymore. Boring, negative football with a squad of about 90% that don’t want to be here.

People moaning that we "sat back" on radio, but for me, last night, that is the exact way that English football should be played, defend well and counter attack with quick and effective pace.

If we can keep playing like this with the young pacey players we have, we have every chance of winning something.

Fair play Southgate.

Agree with your sentiments about international football. But if we played all the time like we did in the first half, then I imagine that I and many others might think differently. One swallow doesn't make a summer, so until we play like the first half all the time, rather than the boring dross like Coratia, I'll just consider this a one off.

As for you saying to SKD that he doesn't get much from supporting Saints, what do you currently get from it?

Agree with your sentiments about international football. But if we played all the time like we did in the first half, then I imagine that I and many others might think differently. One swallow doesn't make a summer, so until we play like the first half all the time, rather than the boring dross like Coratia, I'll just consider this a one off.

As for you saying to SKD that he doesn't get much from supporting Saints, what do you currently get from it?

We aren’t great at the moment but I can handle it. Meet mates at pub before hand whilst full of optimism and look forward to the beers. If I’m honest may consider not having a ST if just turned up straight to game.

Thought we were unlucky against Leicester and Brighton. Had excellent day at Palace and showed we aren’t always shabby.

In my blood and known worse times and seems worse cos of the recent good times. Not naive enough to pin it convenient scapegoats like many who think if only we did xyz we’d be brilliant. Everyone else is trying that too with varying degrees of. success.

Elyounoussi scored for Norway

Don't think we've seen the best of this guy yet, hopefully he's overcome his injury because we need him on top form.

The good news is we can reuse the Ramirez and Boufal cliches and talk about Tadics missed penalties and the good old days when "everyone" wrote off Mane.

Be boring if we just signed someone premier league ready and suitable

Elyounoussi scored for Norway

Don't think we've seen the best of this guy yet, hopefully he's overcome his injury because we need him on top form.

And at long last, PEH was reintroduced in the DK team and he played a good match. Pressure was on him as everyone knew this was his exam. Vestergaard also played full time and did a good job.