Internationals week

whelk

Never mind what happened in the World Cup still hate the international break. Don’t even know who England are playing.

So looked up fixtures at BBC and there is a UEFA Nations League, as is BBC genuinely didn’t know if that was women’s or men’s? When you call up football most people are evenly split on whether they want to read about women’s or the men’s game of course. Anyway separate point that.

Sad reflection on me but don’t even look forward to the weekend with same enthusiasm when no proper games on. Everyone talks about the power of the Pl but play these fcking games midweek back to the league at weekend. Never going to happen I know.

Oh well suppose I could always tidy up the garden

Edited by whelk

Think it’s sad that the amount of players called up in the England national and u21’s squad are not even playing first team games.

How the hell can supporters get excited about our national team if we can’t create a homegrown rule of 6 players minimum per starting team.

Reckon Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal would struggle to produce 6 between them.

Its football overkill

The World Cup was good but give international fixtures a rest ffs

Who cares about a nations league?

TBH I think it brilliant. As I have absolutely no interest in it, I can just switch off. And it gives a break from the press and their Liverpool love in which I find so bloody tedious. So it gives a break from football for a couple of weeks which is great. And we have the final test vs India over the weekend.

It's FA Cup qualification weekend. There's loads of football to go and watch. The non-league teams appreciate the support far more than the Premier League clubs.

Absolutely. For those in North Hampshire it's Fleet Town vs East Grinstead Town in FA Cup qualification & Fleet could really do with a few more paying visitors currently.

International football is just Meh. The world cup was ok but more for the chance to watch odd teams you wouldn't normally see. Even with England doing well I couldn't get past mildly interested.

Even more annoying is the break coming just as saints put together back to back away wins no doubt the bit of momentum that was building will now be lost.

My weekend football fix will have to be Totton and Ealing U18s vs Portchester U18s in league cup action.

It's FA Cup qualification weekend. There's loads of football to go and watch. The non-league teams appreciate the support far more than the Premier League clubs.

I was going to say the same thing, don't think about it as an international break but as a break from the premier league circus and a chance to engage with your local non league club, conference or below you'll find some good games especially on FA Cup weekend

TBH I think it brilliant. As I have absolutely no interest in it, I can just switch off. And it gives a break from the press and their Liverpool love in which I find so bloody tedious. So it gives a break from football for a couple of weeks which is great. And we have the final test vs India over the weekend.

fair point

Love international football. Nations league has a lot going for it in principle. Interested to see how it goes.

Me too, I’m flying back tomorrow for the Bosnian match. It’s important too, they’re not friendlies. The rankings from the Nations League determines the seedings for the EURO 2020 qualifiers and it’s the only route to the playoffs for the Euros.

- 24 Teams at EURO 2020

- 20 teams will qualify outright from the 10 EURO qualifying groups (Winners & Runners up)

- 4 teams will qualify via the playoffs

Win your Nations League group, you’re guaranteed a playoff spot. Where a Nations League Group winner has already qualified for the Euros outright, their playoff place will then go to the highest ranked team in their Nations League Division (Not necessarily the same 3 team group) who hasn’t qualified outright.

My weekend football fix will have to be Totton and Ealing U18s vs Portchester U18s in league cup action.

We were due to be playing on the IoW on Sunday but the other side couldn't raise a team so I've nothing footie related to look forward to. The nearest thing would be cutting the grass, so perhaps I can mark out a few white lines on the lawn, or something.. Havant, my nearest side are away to Harrogate, but in any case the fans are all hostile Portsmouth supporters.

Me too, I’m flying back tomorrow for the Bosnian match. It’s important too, they’re not friendlies. The rankings from the Nations League determines the seedings for the EURO 2020 qualifiers and it’s the only route to the playoffs for the Euros.

- 24 Teams at EURO 2020

- 20 teams will qualify outright from the 10 EURO qualifying groups (Winners & Runners up)

Win your Nations League group, you’re guaranteed a playoff spot. Where a Nations League Group winner has already qualified for the Euros outright, their playoff place will then go to the highest ranked team in their Nations League Division (Not necessarily the same 3 team group) who hasn’t qualified outright.

Cheers for that - certainly does add a bit more spice to the mix, especially for battling "minnows" like Norn Iron as it gives them a chance of a joker to play...............so are we unlikely to see a gazillion subs at half time to make the game a dull affair by the final whistle.

- 24 Teams at EURO 2020

It's better than watching meaningless friendlies. BUT surely the qualifiers for the Euro's are supposed to make sure that the best 24 teams qualify for that tournament. The 4 teams qualifying from this competition (one from each League means that one of the following teams will be at the Euro's:

Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Faroes, Georgia, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova or San Marino.

WTF?

Gives some teams a huge advantage when the next Euro finals comes round!

It's better than watching meaningless friendlies. BUT surely the qualifiers for the Euro's are supposed to make sure that the best 24 teams qualify for that tournament. The 4 teams qualifying from this competition (one from each League means that one of the following teams will be at the Euro's:

Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Faroes, Georgia, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova or San Marino.

WTF?

Gives some teams a huge advantage when the next Euro finals comes round!

I agree with you, the best 24 should be qualifying. Here’s UEFA’s take on it...

“For middle-ranking and smaller nations, the UEFA Nations League will offer an extra way to qualify for UEFA EURO final tournaments. Lower-tier countries – the bottom 16 in the rankings – are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying slots for UEFA EURO.

Lower-ranking teams who have struggled against sides ranked considerably higher than them will now get the chance to take part in balanced matches. Teams do not learn and progress by repeatedly losing; now some sides will start winning.”

It gives the minnows a ‘carrot’ which they never would achieve through regular qualifying. Now there is the argument that the finals tournament will be diluted and they’ll be uncompetitive but then they said that when EURO 2016 was increased to a 24 team event and Wales, NI, Iceland & Albania all won games. That said I’d still rather have the 8 best 3rd place teams in the Euro qualifiers proper in the playoffs though.

Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Faroes, Georgia, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova or San Marino

That’s not how I read it. They’ll still have to win a play off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For al lthat they lost I thought England did reasonably well, created chances at least. If Rashford was really an international class striker we would not have lost.

To be fair to Rashford he always seems to do well when given a chance up top. He could do with a lukaku/sanchez double injury to get a run up top for utd.

My understanding is that there is a play off between the winners of each of the groups in all 4 leagues, which includes group D !

So that means one of these teams actually will make it !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45459271Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that there is a play off between the winners of each of the groups in all 4 leagues, which includes group D !

So that means one of these teams actually will make it !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/45459271Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Didn't actually know we were playing tonight and had to look up who the opponents were. Is this going to be a monthly exercise and does it replace the asinine qualification for Euro/WC?

With this Nations league thingy not being free to air I'm even less interested than normal! At least when its on ITV or whatever I might give it a watch.

Didn't actually know we were playing tonight and had to look up who the opponents were. Is this going to be a monthly exercise and does it replace the asinine qualification for Euro/WC?

Qualifying starts in March, those games are all on ITV. The draw for the qualifying is at the start of December.