Saints v Brighton - Build up

Professor

The result in the Caraboa Cup might not be a guide to this game as it was virtually between the reserve sides but it shouldn't be disregarded completely. We have the psychological advantage of having won on their turf. Subject to any injuries, we could see an unchanged starting line-up which would promise well for a good start in this game. Expecting to see the first home win.

Everything crossed that Gabbi comes in as a straight swap instead of Austin or another midfielder. Doubt I’ll get my wish given that he doesn’t even make the squad for some reason.

More fcking Gabbi love. What player have you all been watching the last year? If he played like he started then of course would be playing. But he hasn’t. He has been ineffective and kinda think he must be also in training as not up against stunning opposition. And please don’t come back with his movement is just to smart for our players!

More fcking Gabbi love. What player have you all been watching the last year? If he played like he started then of course would be playing. But he hasn’t. He has been ineffective and kinda think he must be also in training as not up against stunning opposition. And please don’t come back with his movement is just to smart for our players!

Ok, how about. He was always played out of position and the service he received was just not good enough !! He did save us from relegation, don’t forget that !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, how about. He was always played out of position and the service he received was just not good enough !! He did save us from relegation, don’t forget that !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want to be a fan. Just now accepted he isn’t the player we all hoped he would be. Clearly some genius in there but he isn’t looking like the answer as much as Long and Austin’s can frustrate. Sam Gallagher isn’t either. Ings is the hope.

Yeah but he's always making amazing runs and that which our midfield can't pick out or something.

Mock all you like, it’s largely true. We really aren’t intelligent enough as a team to create the kind of chances Gabbi would be scoring. If nothing else, he’s got to be better than Austin.

I’m not saying he’s great but we’ve already resorted to Long starting and telling ourselves we’ve ‘given it a go’. Once every now and then it’ll pay off, against a crap team like Palace (minus Zaha) but that doesn’t mean it’s working.

I want to be a fan. Just now accepted he isn’t the player we all hoped he would be. Clearly some genius in there but he isn’t looking like the answer as much as Long and Austin’s can frustrate. Sam Gallagher isn’t either. Ings is the hope.

50/50 Ings and Austin will both be injured by Xmas.

McCarthy

Cedric Vesterguard Hoedt Bertrand

Hojberg Lemina

Mo Gabbi Redmond

Ings

Would probably be the fastest most mobile attack we've had in years. We'd win with that team.

We'd also definitely concede, but i'd rather see that formation than the safety first we've been doing for a while now.

McCarthy

Cedric Vesterguard Hoedt Bertrand

Hojberg Lemina

Mo Gabbi Redmond

Ings

Would probably be the fastest most mobile attack we've had in years. We'd win with that team.

Agree entirely, though arguments for Armstrong over Moi could be made. With that line up it will probably finish about 5-4 to Saints.

Mock all you like, it’s largely true. We really aren’t intelligent enough as a team to create the kind of chances Gabbi would be scoring. If nothing else, he’s got to be better than Austin.

I’m not saying he’s great but we’ve already resorted to Long starting and telling ourselves we’ve ‘given it a go’. Once every now and then it’ll pay off, against a crap team like Palace (minus Zaha) but that doesn’t mean it’s working.

Thing is though he's never scored many goals throughout his career. Doubtless there's a degree of truth in the he's too intelligent for our insipid midfield theory but he can't have always been playing with less intelligent players, and he's got a career average strike rate of roughly 1 goal in every 5 games which is roughly what he's scored for us (9 goals in 40 appearances).

Thing is though he's never scored many goals throughout his career. Doubtless there's a degree of truth in the he's too intelligent for our insipid midfield theory but he can't have always been playing with less intelligent players, and he's got a career average strike rate of roughly 1 goal in every 5 games which is roughly what he's scored for us (9 goals in 40 appearances).

He’d be replacing Shane Long, who goes to bed at night dreaming of that kind of marksmanship. It’s not like we have anyone better.

Everyone is a Hoedt fan now then?

I feel Hoedt’s best is better than Yoshida’s best- the problem is getting that potential as Hoedt goes from a 9 to 3 whilst Yoshida usually stays at consistent 5/6 every game.

It also appears a given that Hoedt is in Hughes plans more than Yoshida.

He’d be replacing Shane Long, who goes to bed at night dreaming of that kind of marksmanship. It’s not like we have anyone better.

And we've got at least 2 songs for Gabbi.

Oooohhhhhh Gabbiaaaaaadiniiiiiii ..... Oooooohhhhhhhhhh Gabbiaaaadiniiiiiii for those who can't remember more than 1 line of a song, or The Les Reed went to Rome ditty.

Is there a Guiness Book of Records entry for how many times we've sung OWTS in a single game?

I definitely think the Ings / Gabbi combo should be given a go, especially at home. 2 players making decent runs will drag defences all over and create spaces for midfielders to expose.

Long is probably our best option (after Ings) for away games as a long ball outlet when we are under the cosh and for his (yeah I know) running for lost causes putting pressure on defences.

For all of his lack of pace Austin has that certain nous that he uses to draw fouls rather than keep the ball or make a killer pass, and up till Palace I'd have said at least can score a penalty if we get one!!

Seeing him more as a throwing the kitchen sink at it option substitute if chasing a game.

I'm certain we'll win but the only question is whether or not we'll pick up the three points. A draw might be a more likely outcome. All depends on whether or not Yoshida starts.

The Premier League governing body would be harsh not to give us 3 points for a win... :)

With Bolton Wanderers likely to go into administration I think that puts the entire Brighton game into perspective. Hopefully we'll see a reflection of this sad news in the mood at the stadium next week. A happy cheerful atmosphere from the Northam will show a huge amount of disrespect to Bolton and their fans who do not deserve it in the slightest.

A minute's silence might be a step too far but perhaps a mention in the program, or a song on 8 minutes (8 as it looks like a "B") would be very appropriate.

With Bolton Wanderers likely to go into administration I think that puts the entire Brighton game into perspective. Hopefully we'll see a reflection of this sad news in the mood at the stadium next week. A happy cheerful atmosphere from the Northam will show a huge amount of disrespect to Bolton and their fans who do not deserve it in the slightest.

A minute's silence might be a step too far but perhaps a mention in the program, or a song on 8 minutes (8 as it looks like a "B") would be very appropriate.

If at least a third of the crowd aren't wearing Campo style wigs then I'm walking out in disgust.

We should all dress up as Frenchmen, in honour of their stadium being named after the current president.

What’s with the sudden love for Bolton. Don’t get it. They fooked up...what’s it got to do with Saints?

Who can forget the minute silence they gave us when we went into administration, while their fans held up red and white placards in our honour? It brought tears to my eyes at the time. It's only fair we reciprocate.

Who can forget the minute silence they gave us when we went into administration, while their fans held up red and white placards in our honour? It brought tears to my eyes at the time. It's only fair we reciprocate.

This. All the 'I'm alright jack but screw the rest of you' is a sad reflection of modern society. We were there once and not so long ago that some of these idiots should be able to remember it.

Hughes stated he's got a fully fit squad in this morning's pre-match press conference...

He's now qualified this by saying there has been a question mark over their fitness this week but he's hopeing that they will be back in full training on Saturday and therefore in contention for the game on Monday. Sounds most likely that they will be on the bench rather than in the starting 11

Also stated that it looks like Ings has now overcome his blister issue

But MH says both doubtful. Would be happy with Ings plus Gabbiadini/Gallagher.

@AdamBlackmore

#saintsfc manager Mark Hughes hopeful of having Charlie Austin (hamstring) and Shane Long (foot) in full training over the weekend - ahead of Monday night’s game v #BHAFC

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'd rather Long either started if fully fit or was rested if not. I don't think he's particularly useful as a sub in a match where we should have a decent share of the ball and our opponents will be hard to break down.

If Austin's hamstring is doubtful in any way, I wouldn't risk him either. He doesn't need the chance to pull up injured for a month.

Personally, I think if we go two up top they should be Ings and Gabbiadini and we should put Gallagher on the bench.