New Route In To Europe?

marc_saint

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45483586

Uefa plans to introduce a third European club competition alongside the Champions League and Europa League from 2021.

Uefa head of competitions Andrea Agnelli said "the green light has been given", pending approval.

He did not give any more details on how the tournament would be organised or when it would be staged.

So top seven (normally) get into Europe so what would a third tournament look like? Could more spaces be made available for the new competition.

Whilst it would probably hinder our premier league performances the European away trips were great fun. (I did Arnhem, Milan and Prague)

I'd be happy for this competition if we lost the League cup

From reading around the edges of this it seems to be targeting UEFA making as much money as possible from the big clubs (the original statement refers to the big clubs) so i'd imagine that means it'll be aimed at removing the rich clubs from the Champions League into their own tournament.

If i was a cynic i'd say this is the beginning of a move towards a European Super League, and i doubt it'll help us really as it'll be about keeping the money in the pockets of the rich clubs.

Also something that seems to have slipped through the net with all the talks about the game abroad for the Spanish league is that apparently UEFA are a long way down a route to playing the Champions League final in New York.

They should introduce a competition especially for the national cup winners in each country, instead of having them in the Europa. They could call it the European Cup Winners Cup or something.

Then they should have another for past winners of that and call it the European Cup Winners Cup Winners Cup.

In other words, who cares?

They should introduce a competition especially for the national cup winners in each country, instead of having them in the Europa. They could call it the European Cup Winners Cup or something.

Then they should have another for past winners of that and call it the European Cup Winners Cup Winners Cup.

Surely a better plan would be to have all the domestic league winners play each other in a knockout competition.

I'm thinking of going to take a patent out on that idea,

I think the super league will initially look great. We will suddenly be in the "new" top 6.

However we will sit back, sell players and drift out of the new top 6 pretty sharp.

We will then need a 2nd super league to take the newly established top 6.

Repeat until the the super league has 4-5 leagues and we are beating Wycombe and Exeter each week and everyone is happy

There will be 3 compettions of 32 teams each bringing the total number of european teams to 96 instead of 80 today which equates to 16 additional teams in europe, england will have probably 1 or 2 additional team which greatly increases our chances of european football.

There will be 3 compettions of 32 teams each bringing the total number of european teams to 96 instead of 80 today which equates to 16 additional teams in europe, england will have probably 1 or 2 additional team which greatly increases our chances of european football.

Don't confuse qualifying for Europe (eg Burnley) and actually playing in a competition (eg not Burnley ). It would be nice if with the new system English clubs didn't need to go through qualifying rounds.

If you actually read what is being said, it actually suggests that there will be an extra 16 teams in the "league" or group stages of the competitions, i.e. an extra 16 teams will be guaranteed a number (probably 6) of home and away fixtures. It looks like this is a way of guaranteeing that the G14 (?) clubs will be guaranteed to be in the top competition regardless of whether they qualify (the whole thing is being pushed by the group of big clubs, not UEFA). It could be that very few additional clubs, perhaps none at all, would qualify for the qualifying rounds. I would be surprised if the end result of all this is any significant expansion of the number of teams that have a route into Europe (via the qualification stages) but simply that 16 teams will be guaranteed a longer run in the competitions. I don't think we should hold our breath that there will be any additional route into Europe.

If you actually read what is being said, it actually suggests that there will be an extra 16 teams in the "league" or group stages of the competitions, i.e. an extra 16 teams will be guaranteed a number (probably 6) of home and away fixtures. It looks like this is a way of guaranteeing that the G14 (?) clubs will be guaranteed to be in the top competition regardless of whether they qualify (the whole thing is being pushed by the group of big clubs, not UEFA). It could be that very few additional clubs, perhaps none at all, would qualify for the qualifying rounds. I would be surprised if the end result of all this is any significant expansion of the number of teams that have a route into Europe (via the qualification stages) but simply that 16 teams will be guaranteed a longer run in the competitions. I don't think we should hold our breath that there will be any additional route into Europe.

Yup that's exactly my point (albeit put in a more cynical form) this is about entrenching power and money amongst those that feel threatened, and less about opening it up to more teams.

I honestly believe this is the first shot across the bow for a European Super League, or at least proof they can get away with something based on revenue and team size, as opposed to the usual "meritocracy" that's understood to be what football's about.

I also think that Wenger's comments before he retired about the European Super League being inevitable was based in more in him knowing something than just pure chance, and equally i'm absolutely sure the big clubs have already been sounded out on the potential of the idea.

Why do people keep saying this? It happened years ago. The CL is just a parade for the big clubs through the group stages. they're all basically guaranteed at least 8 games. They know full well ditching domestic leagues would destroy them. Fans can't travel all the time, they'd be replaced by other teams domestically who'd get bigger, and they wouldn't all be able to be successful in a single league.

Indeed.

The general public really don't give a flying flid for a European Super League. Sky have realised this when the sky didn't fall in when they lost the CL rights.

Fans in the UK want to watch the Premier League.

On free to air about 3-4 million watch MOTD, while far less than a million ever watch the ITV Champions League coverage.

It will never really engage people - and that counts for all the big nations.

Leeds vs Newcastle in the Premier League would always be more of an attractive TV proposition in the UK than Ajax vs Milan.