Liverpool vs Saints - Build Up

Yorkshire Saint

850+ days since our last win over the top 6 in the league. Mental really when you consider our success in the previous 850 days (6 wins over top 6 in Koemans last season alone)

We are certainly due one and stopping Liverpools blistering start would definitely wipe out alot of football misery from the past 2 years.

Hoping for a miracle, expecting a 3-0 defeat.

based on current form, for both clubs, we are looking at a really heavy defeat here. It does depend on how much the scousers want to score a hatfull, but really just thinking about Mane/Salah up against our center defence pairing, and the way the full backs provide the crosses for them, and the way our own FBs have been playing, and I havent even started on the midfield yet!! This could be embarrassing, anyone else remember the Leeds away game early seventies? This could be worse than that.

This could be embarrassing, anyone else remember the Leeds away game early seventies? This could be worse than that.

8-0 to the northerners. i remember it well. And the way the usually hum-drum BBC announced it. "Leeds...EIGHT. Southampton... Nil.

This is good. Set expectations really low, and we might end up excited by a triumphant 4-1 only loss, with all the goals coming from ex-saints, including a VvD own goal. I'm looking forward.

we will get well and truly hammered, anything from 4-0 upwards depending on how bothered they are

hoedt and vestergaard play like they've spent the afternoon in an amsterdam cafe

Shares in vestergaards seem to have tumbled alarmingly in a very short space of time. A few short weeks ago they were seen as a decent investment and just what our portfolio was crying out for. Fast fd a couple of weeks and they appear to be ponderous and ill-suited to our needs, and we probably need to go to market, again.

Spoiler alert: I've not actually seen him play but it looks to me like he's probably as good as we are going to get for our current level and budget, FWIW I think he'd make a decent pairing with Yoshi, in a big man/quick man combo.

Leeds have never beaten Saints 8 - 0. I was there when we lost 7 - 0, and that was the early seventies, and it really was embarrassing. I don't think anything like it will happen this weekend, in fact I fancy Saints to get a result. Crazy, I know.

I remember the days when I used to look forward to playing the rich teams, thinking we had a real chance of beating them while playing well. Far cry from the team we used to be, now it’s just dread.

I still look forward to games against the big sides like Man U, City and Arsenal, it's just Liverpool and the way they have destroyed our team, plus their tosser supporters, make it one to dread.

Shares in vestergaards seem to have tumbled alarmingly in a very short space of time. A few short weeks ago they were seen as a decent investment and just what our portfolio was crying out for. Fast fd a couple of weeks and they appear to be ponderous and ill-suited to our needs, and we probably need to go to market, again.

Spoiler alert: I've not actually seen him play but it looks to me like he's probably as good as we are going to get for our current level and budget, FWIW I think he'd make a decent pairing with Yoshi, in a big man/quick man combo.

Whispering Dave on Solent made similar comments eg. "Vestergaard was brought in to dominate and clear our lines; he just isn't doing it". Like you, I want Yoshi back in immediately.

Whispering Dave on Solent made similar comments eg. "Vestergaard was brought in to dominate and clear our lines; he just isn't doing it". Like you, I want Yoshi back in immediately.

I think Vestergaard is even more of a liability than Hoedt. His one asset is his great size but he seems to be easily brushed aside. As for his ground play, he just doesn't have the quickness of feet you need to survive in the Premier League. Premier League managers are now aware of his chronic lack of pace and they are all going to exploit it.

With Hoedt, there is still some hope that he could be coached into being an adequate footballer if our first team coaches weren't goalkeepers.

Yoshida is the best central defender we've got and most importantly, he's the fastest.

We really do have a spoilt fanbase dont we. Ok, we had Toby, Lovren and VVD in a short space of time, who each on their day are probably amongst the top 25 centre backs in world football (certainly Van Dijk must be top 10), so is it really a surprise they moved on to bigger clubs and possibly as yet we dont have quite as good players there?

I think Hoedt has looked good this season and the back end of last year, and Vestergaard has certainly had a few matches where he's been pretty dominant, but not overly consistent as yet. Both are considerably better than Stephens, and I would think would get into at least half of the teams in the division first XI. A few mates who I've watched our matches with have said they thought both of them were pretty good without any prompts... I think everyone agreed that Long was shocking though!

We really do have a spoilt fanbase dont we. Ok, we had Toby, Lovren and VVD in a short space of time, who each on their day are probably amongst the top 25 centre backs in world football (certainly Van Dijk must be top 10), so is it really a surprise they moved on to bigger clubs and possibly as yet we dont have quite as good players there?

I think Hoedt has looked good this season and the back end of last year, and Vestergaard has certainly had a few matches where he's been pretty dominant, but not overly consistent as yet. Both are considerably better than Stephens, and I would think would get into at least half of the teams in the division first XI. A few mates who I've watched our matches with have said they thought both of them were pretty good without any prompts... I think everyone agreed that Long was shocking though!

Hoedt is one of our big problems, not just his footballing ability, but his lack of character. He's one of the guys (along with Lemina) who i can physically see wilt when the going gets tough. He starts doing stupid things, making hashes of clearances or falling over. For the good things he can do in a game (like that great tackle on Bissouma) he ruins it all by being dumb in the box in the dying embers of games, creating nerves for everyone else.

I just have a gut feeling, not sure why, that we might manage to lose only by three clear goals. I'm not usually as positive but I feel we might have turned the corner after riding the second half storm by a very potent and dangerous Brighton. Come on lads, you can do it, earn that defeat.

When was the last time a top team tonked us?

Only one I remember is Spurs at Wembley.

I think teams relax against us as they want to save energy for the next game.

That's the reason why a tonking is long overdue and right now we are playing far more poorly than under Puel or Pellegrini, both of whom knew how to defend.

If Hughes doesn't start Romeu this weekend to plug up the glaringly obvious gap in our midfield in front of the central defenders then a tonking will come surely. In fact it might be a very good thing for us to get hammered 8-0 to finally stop all the bull**** from Hughes about how good we are and how unlucky we've been in recent matches.

As for the Yoshi situation, I'm thinking of starting a petition to the House of Commons for an urgent debate.

That's the reason why a tonking is long overdue and right now we are playing far more poorly than under Puel or Pellegrini, both of whom knew how to defend.

If Hughes doesn't start Romeu this weekend to plug up the glaringly obvious gap in our midfield in front of the central defenders then a tonking will come surely. In fact it might be a very good thing for us to get hammered 8-0 to finally stop all the bull**** from Hughes about how good we are and how unlucky we've been in recent matches.

As for the Yoshi situation, I'm thinking of starting a petition to the House of Commons for an urgent debate.

Agree re Yoshi. He needs to playing instead of Hoedt

Disagree on Romeu - lemina and PEH have much more to their game

It’s Hughes tactics of dropping deep, the clumsiness/panic that Hoedt brings and our set piece defending that is costing us. Possibly lack of leadership too

Here we go again, let's blame the fanbase. Hoedt is a complete moron. I've lost count of the number of times he goes full throttle to try and win a header and he's never once won one. For a CB, he's beaten in the air every single time. It's embarrassing.

Here we go again, let's blame the fanbase. Hoedt is a complete moron. I've lost count of the number of times he goes full throttle to try and win a header and he's never once won one. For a CB, he's beaten in the air every single time. It's embarrassing.

And he’s never goal side of the player he’s supposed to be marking, ever.

He looks absolutely fine to me, even the best CBs can't get to every cross, and I don't think he's looked in trouble on the deck with or without the ball.

I can't in all conscience proclaim any defensive partnership featuring Yoshida to be anything other than a lower midtable stopgap, no matter how he's improved, but I think he's less likely to cost us points than Hoedt. Shame Bednarek isn't left sided (though he does have a weakness or two he's had less chance to show himself up and is therefore better by default).

Yep. A bumbling Hoedt chasing back towards his own goal is my overriding image of the season so far.

Beats my image of last season which is whichever two of Lemina/Hojbjerg/Romeu who were playing being 10 yards the wrong side of every opposing midfielder they played against whenever we didn't have the ball, providing no cover for the defence at all.

I reckon we'll go three at the back, Yoshida to come in for one of the strikers, Ings presumably. Long up front with Redmond to lead our counter attacking charge, if we are able to get hold of the ball. Lemina and Hojbjerg should be decent in midfield, I'd be tempted to drop Elyounoussi and have Romeu in there too.

I reckon we'll go three at the back, Yoshida to come in for one of the strikers, Ings presumably. Long up front with Redmond to lead our counter attacking charge, if we are able to get hold of the ball. Lemina and Hojbjerg should be decent in midfield, I'd be tempted to drop Elyounoussi and have Romeu in there too.

Otherwise known as ‘Park the bus.’

I think the last time we did this we got hammered by Spurs?

-------------------McCarthy-----------------

----Vestergaard-Yoshi-Bertrand----

Cedric - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Targett

-------------------Romeu------------------------

-------------PEH-----------Lemina----------

-----------------Redmond--------------------

--------------------Long-----------------------

Subs: Gunn, Stephens, Hoedt, Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Gallagher, Gabbiadini

-------------------McCarthy-----------------

----Stephens - Yoshi - Vestergaard----

Cedric - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Targett

-------------------Romeu------------------------

-------------PEH-----------Lemina----------

-----------------Armstrong--------------------

--------------------Gallagher-----------------------

I think this is a free hit for us, keeping the score down would be good - Liverpool look a force this season. A combination of bus parking and counter attacking for Saints.

McCarthy

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Hoedt

Cedric

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Lemina

Bertrand

Redmond

Long

Subs: Gunn, Targett, Stephens, Davis, Moi, Austin, Gabbiadini.

With Lemina licensed to push forward on the counter. After watching the Brighton game, I've started to think we're missing a brick Wanyama-like defensive midfielder.

I think this is a free hit for us, keeping the score down would be good - Liverpool look a force this season. A combination of bus parking and counter attacking for Saints.

McCarthy

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Hoedt

Cedric

Hojbjerg

Romeu

Lemina

Bertrand

Redmond

Long

Subs: Gunn, Targett, Stephens, Davis, Moi, Austin, Gabbiadini.

With Lemina licensed to push forward on the counter. After watching the Brighton game, I've started to think we're missing a brick Wanyama-like defensive midfielder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVb3NfTf7P8

Most enjoyable Long/Puel moment at SFC.