Saints 2-2 Brighton - Reaction

Lighthouse

We've just taken a new Japanese colleague on at work and he (and a lot of the Japanese sport media, apparently) are of the opinion that somehow Yoshi is being pushed out of the door.

We haven't had the negative PR campaign against him yet: bad influence, billy big boots, greedy etc. But, it sounds like he might be the next one to be added to the 'defectors' list, as the club is running our of players they can get a sizeable transfer fee for.

After over 50 years of supporting the Saints I knew what the script would be last night at half time. My wife was out so I texted her " Saints 1-0 up at half time. Much the better team but can't see Brighton being that bad in the 2nd half! Saints don't do holding a lead"

Obviously hoped I would be wrong and when we weathered Brighton coming 'out of the blocks' early in the 2nd half and scoring our 2nd goal I hoped our 'luck' had changed but when they scored soon afterwards I knew we would not go on to win but gutted by such a late goal from the opposition AGAIN. That's already 5 valuable points lost from winning positions this season which would have doubled our points so far! (3 points lost in injury time)

We've just taken a new Japanese colleague on at work and he (and a lot of the Japanese sport media, apparently) are of the opinion that somehow Yoshi is being pushed out of the door.

Obviously. He’s a good player who we need. SFC management are total idiots. Armstrong out already too with Romeu? It’s an inexorable slide into the lower leagues. But it’s the lack of fight or spirit I can’t stomach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very depressing, yet somewhat unsurprising result given the last 2 years of slow and painful regression.

We've not really played badly this season, in parts we've looked dangerous and look more likely to score goals - as we did last night. The main problem which continues throughout the spine and will continue for as long as certain individuals are present is our lack of bottle and leadership. Whilst the likes of Lemina may be individually talented, he doesn't half shrink when the going gets tough.

We have some good individual quality, but we have a very, very poor makeup of a team. No real leaders, no real bottle. Just a bunch of nice and meek characters who shrink into the ground whenever something bad happens – whether that’s a sending off or conceding a single goal. I wouldn’t trust this lot to hold a 3-0 lead.

That's 2 home games on the trot where we've tossed away two wins, not down to a lack of quality, but down to a lack of character and bottle. That won't change on the training pitch, that will only change with a player cull and a much better recruitment strategy. Given that we can't change any players now then this theme will continue I'm sure.

Saint Benali

JWP...… what a total **** football player he is. No football brain at all. Give one of the youngsters a chance.

Bit difficult when Les Reed has carefully contrived to loan out his younger competition.

If Hughes had put on Targett instead we would most likely have won. Hughes did not change anything 2nd half and hopefully will be gone at Xmas.

No shape, no system, no positional discipline and no leader. That is 100% on Hughes.

People can talk about a game of two halves all they like- We were still very very average in the first half, whilst Brighton were simply dire. We scored a one in a hundred chance shot from 35 yards. Sure, we huffed and puffed, had the greater desire and ran around a lot, but there still wasn’t any real substance to it and as for the second half, that was Football management 101.

It wouldn’t have been possible for Brighton to have been as bad as they were in the first half, so things were always going to change. A little bit of effort from them had us running around like headless chickens. Why Hughes didn’t change things, I have no idea.

With the exception of our centre halves, I think we’ve got a pretty decent squad, but they simply don’t know what they are supposed to be doing, when they are supposing to be doing or how they are supposed to be doing it. This is just 11 men on a pitch and lets see what happens……………. Leave it like that and the only thing that will happen is relegation.

Oh and Soares – What a pathetic performance

Agrree Gemmel - why no Armstrong, Romeu and the treatment of Yoshida baffles me - McCarthy first goal was poor - you have hands take them all out coming for it you will get a foul just stood their like Forster doesnt do anything.

Bringing on Davis and JWP cost us that game - Targett and Yoshida were the correct subs IMO Brighton were always going to lump it in what were they going to do as neither can head it or tackle.

I’ve slept on it, and done half a days work and I’m still totally pee’d off with this result. That Brighton side was about as weak as we will come up against this season and we still surrender a 2 goal lead. I thought after we got the second that even we couldn’t mess this one up. Sure enough, hold my beer.. pathetic.

Why oh why did we bring on JWP / Davis? If you want to try and see a game out then Romeu is surely the obvious choice in that scenario, or Armstrong. Baffling.

It’s got to the point where I just don’t see how we ever see out a game, we are so soft it’s embarrassing.

5 games in and we’ve already conceded two stoppage time goals, given up 3 points from winning positions and the only side to not beat rock bottom Burnley so far. Wonder what treats hold in store in the coming weeks. God help us.

Oh, and 1 win in 14 home games; almost a whole season of home games is just unbelievably shambolic. It just never feels like we’re ever making any progress.

Obviously. He’s a good player who we need. SFC management are total idiots. Armstrong out already too with Romeu? It’s an inexorable slide into the lower leagues. But it’s the lack of fight or spirit I can’t stomach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blimey! it wasn`t long ago that everybody thought he was a liability and now he`s fantastic just so we can bash the club again.

FWIW I have always like him

Hojbjerg is more of a captain and leader than Bertrand will ever be. A serious failing on behalf of the manager to make this timid bottler the club captain.

For Duffy to be marked by Long and then JWP at set pieces shows it was the actual plan by the coaching staff. If someone could ask Hughes why he believed their biggest set piece threat should be marked by Saints' smallest players, that would be great. The blubbering fool has no idea how to manage the 90 minutes of a football game.

He just needs to look at Klopp for an example - one of the best teams in Europe, and when they are under some pressure late on they bring on a 3rd CB quite regularly.

But Hughes? When under pressure, he replaces his front 3 with another striker, a guy trying to play 10 and a wide man.

The right subs were either not selected in the match day squad, or haven't been given a minute of league action. Romeu should have been on for Mo, Yoshida for Ings ... Gabbiadini for Long was OK.

Bang on. I hate it when JWP and Davies are on the pitch at the same time, they are too easily brushed of the ball, and if the oppostion start hittin high balls ......

No shape, no system, no positional discipline and no leader. That is 100% on Hughes.

People can talk about a game of two halves all they like- We were still very very average in the first half, whilst Brighton were simply dire. We scored a one in a hundred chance shot from 35 yards. Sure, we huffed and puffed, had the greater desire and ran around a lot, but there still wasn’t any real substance to it and as for the second half, that was Football management 101.

It wouldn’t have been possible for Brighton to have been as bad as they were in the first half, so things were always going to change. A little bit of effort from them had us running around like headless chickens. Why Hughes didn’t change things, I have no idea.

With the exception of our centre halves, I think we’ve got a pretty decent squad, but they simply don’t know what they are supposed to be doing, when they are supposing to be doing or how they are supposed to be doing it. This is just 11 men on a pitch and lets see what happens……………. Leave it like that and the only thing that will happen is relegation.

Oh and Soares – What a pathetic performance

Agreed - the fact that quite a few deemed the first half an excellent performance shows just how far our standards have fallen. We played with reasonable energy before the break, created one or two half-chances, but if Hoj hadn't finally hit one on target from outside the box after three years of trying, we'd have had nothing to show for it. Again.

As for Brighton, they were poor, but got in once or twice down the flanks during the first half, so you could see the potential for them to regroup and come out better in the second half.

Our first team is mediocre in almost every position, our bench is weak, and our manager rarely seems to pick the right subs to see out or change a game.

Why oh why did we bring on JWP / Davis? If you want to try and see a game out then Romeu is surely the obvious choice in that scenario, or Armstrong. Baffling.

Not really baffling when you consider that neither of those players were even on the bench. Which in itself is worrying, I grant you, unless they are injured.

As I have said from day one, Hughes will never do the job here. He is clueless in so many ways as was again evident last night. He will be gone before end of the season and likely we will end up with Big Sam. For me, it is time to take a chance on a young upcoming manager from lower leagues or Europe. Hughes is the past and never was great. He can't change a game for the better but always changes it for the worse.

People blaming the Keeper, utter mess. The ball was incredible, whip, curl and pace, something JWP does once every 100 games. The keeper would've had zero time to make a decision whether to stick or twist. Always best to stick if unsure. The marking was a joke, no matter what the keeper does.

#mess

People blaming the Keeper, utter mess. The ball was incredible, whip, curl and pace, something JWP does once every 100 games. The keeper would've had zero time to make a decision whether to stick or twist. Always best to stick if unsure. The marking was a joke, no matter what the keeper does.

#mess

I like McCarthy but his mistake for the first goal by not coming for the ball cost us an easy victory last night.

I like McCarthy but his mistake for the first goal by not coming for the ball cost us an easy victory last night.
It didn't look that way to me. It was a very difficult cross to deal with. Inswinging and driven in with pace. If he'd come for it, would have got nowhere near.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It didn't look that way to me. It was a very difficult cross to deal with. Inswinging and driven in with pace. If he'd come for it, would have got nowhere near.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

He was on the6 yard line when the kick was taken and then he retreated back to his line as the ball came across, the header was about 7-8yards out, if he had kept his position he would have easily dealt with it. The idea of our defenders on the 18yard line is to gice all that space for him to collect or collect the ball. He was at fault and however you dress it up he was to blame.

When I heard the team announced, I pretty much went along with it. Then came the subs, no Romeu, no Armstrong. What the hell were Davis and JWP going to do, well we got the answer to that, did Davis touch the ball? and JWP's push in the back decided the game. No Gallagher, no Stephens.

Gunn, Yoshida, Gabbiadini, Austin and Targett were logical but Davis and JWP smacks of currying favour. The substitutes were critical once we conceded the first goal. Rather than put on an attacker that is physically incapable of playing on his own and poses a threat we needed a physical presence with him. For me, Gallagher for Long, Gabbiadini or Austin for Ings. Targett would have been a better replacement for Elanoussi but the combative Romeu would have been a better bet strengthening the midfield even Yoshida into a back three.

I keep trying to make allowances for Hoedt but I'm getting the impression he is an arrogant fool that thinks he is a lot better than he is. The number of reverse passes that either don't go to the target or worse to the opposition is too high for this league as for his Cruyff turn, ridiculous. He needs to cut out the showboating and his diving in and selling himself.

I personally would prefer Yoshida. Leaving the stadium I had the feeling of being mugged by the stupidity of some of our players. Redmond had no need to dive in and give a marginal foul, what was wrong with holding tight and offering the line as the only way forward. The free kick was poorly defended. why on earth we had to keep such a high line allowing the in swinger to put us in trouble. Defending deeper would have deprived Knockaert of the space and allowed our defenders to face the ball. Alternatively hold the high line and Brighton were offside as they all lined up goal side of our line.

The corner was defendable until JWP stuck his arm into Duffy's back. JWP always defends like that it's the way he plays, always diving in and mostly missing, this time it lost us the game.

The management and the stupidity of a few players lost us this game. 2-0 up and twenty five minutes left it should have been all over. Two physically weak substitutions opened the door for Brighton instead of three strong substitutions getting the job done.

Edited by derry

He was on the6 yard line when the kick was taken and then he retreated back to his line as the ball came across, the header was about 7-8yards out, if he had kept his position he would have easily dealt with it. The idea of our defenders on the 18yard line is to gice all that space for him to collect or collect the ball. He was at fault and however you dress it up he was to blame.

Clearly written by someone who has never played in goal. The freekick was excellent, as it was taken it you would've probably not read the swing and assumed it wasn't coming as close, hence why he retreated to his line, and by this point the swing on the ball had carried it to the point of no return and unless he gambled and stayed put, (which has a higher risk of error), he did the correct thing by retreating and not coming to claim the ball.

The FACT two players are unmarked, completely unchallenged is the problem, if they were marked it was a simple header clear.

The cross, if taken by JWP, you'd all be salivating and not blaming the opposing keeper.

Clearly written by someone who has never played in goal. The freekick was excellent, as it was taken it you would've probably not read the swing and assumed it wasn't coming as close, hence why he retreated to his line, and by this point the swing on the ball had carried it to the point of no return and unless he gambled and stayed put, (which has a higher risk of error), he did the correct thing by retreating and not coming to claim the ball.

The FACT two players are unmarked, completely unchallenged is the problem, if they were marked it was a simple header clear.

The cross, if taken by JWP, you'd all be salivating and not blaming the opposing keeper.

Clearly replied by someone who may of played in goal but frigging useless. Watch the professionals talking about it last night on Sky, they absolutely panned McCarthy and showed the world with their assessment what a poor mistake it was. So get back into your box and leave it to people who actually know about movement of the ball and being in the correct position

I've watched highlights of their penalty several times, and in slow motion, and it is one of the softest I've seen in a long time. OK to give it, certainly, but only if there is consistency. I've witnessed countless similar incidents in other matches, but can't recall many such penalties being awarded against the glory teams. I will wait to watch Taylor officiating at the next glory team match and see if he applies consistency there.

Clearly replied by someone who may of played in goal but frigging useless. Watch the professionals talking about it last night on Sky, they absolutely panned McCarthy and showed the world with their assessment what a poor mistake it was. So get back into your box and leave it to people who actually know about movement of the ball and being in the correct position

Your first bit is correct. Funny how they skip over the fact two players are completely unmarked thou, let me guess the pundits were defenders. For me not a goal keeper error. Just a good ball in and poor defending. I'd rather not just base my judgement on ex players chit chat.

As I have said from day one, Hughes will never do the job here. He is clueless in so many ways as was again evident last night. He will be gone before end of the season and likely we will end up with Big Sam. For me, it is time to take a chance on a young upcoming manager from lower leagues or Europe. Hughes is the past and never was great. He can't change a game for the better but always changes it for the worse.

What like Puel or Pellegrino? Yeah, great idea [/s]

Disagree I was in line with the cross and yes it was excellent but that was the keepers as no defender would have been able to get goalside.

Big Sam Klaxon to be heard at St Mary’s

Yes we were just talking about the very same person at work this morning...........******* depressing isnt it to think we are once again linking ourselves or even thinking hes gonna be our saviour.

My mates a Newcastle fan and hes getting jitters thinking his club could also be linked in the same way. The real problem is the lack of grit and spirit on the pitch and game management to see things through.Our back 3-4 are not the

best equiped to deal with pace or very mobile in fact so that needs addessing but weve spent our money and this is what were left with. Whats wrong with Gabbi and Ings starting together? both goalscorers as such ....Long really, oh yes forgot loves to run around a bit....despair at such a crucial time already in the early parts of the season.

I've watched highlights of their penalty several times, and in slow motion, and it is one of the softest I've seen in a long time. OK to give it, certainly, but only if there is consistency. I've witnessed countless similar incidents in other matches, but can't recall many such penalties being awarded against the glory teams. I will wait to watch Taylor officiating at the next glory team match and see if he applies consistency there.

If it was a penalty offence shouldn’t the ref have given Ward-Prowse a yellow card?

Your first bit is correct. Funny how they skip over the fact two players are completely unmarked thou, let me guess the pundits were defenders. For me not a goal keeper error. Just a good ball in and poor defending. I'd rather not just base my judgement on ex players chit chat.
One was a defender the other a forward. I watched it and came to the same judgement as the 2 players. If you had watched Sky's analysis you would Im sure agree that he should have taken it.

The game changed on that moment and for the first time since he as been inthe team I have blamed McCarthy.

Thought we were far the better team in the first half, but only going in at 1-0 of course the other team are going to come out and go for it. The trouble is with us sitting off continually and praying we hold onto that lead. The equaliser became inevitable, but what on earth was JWP thinking?!

My player ratings

McCarthy - 7 - one or two really good stops, possibly could've done slightly better with first goal?

Cedric - 6 - thought looked good going forwards. Bit shaky occasionally at the back.

Hoedt - 7 - dont get the hate. Looked solid and a couple of great tackles to stop Brighton breaks.

Vest - 7 - Looks decent.

Bertrand - 7 - Got forward well, bit unlucky with the freekick near the end

Redmond - 7 - Very lively first half and did a few Brighton players, faded a bit second half

Hojberg - 8 - Again our best player. What a goal!

Lemina - 6.5 - Looked really good in patches, a bit sloppy at other times.

Mo - 6 - Failed to get that into the game, but a couple of good touches and passes. Solid if unspectacular.

Ings - 7 - Looked bright and did well to win and score the penalty.

Long - 5 - Never looks likely to score. Won a couple of headers, but failing at crucial times.

Subs

Gabbiadini - 6 - isnt a target man, so dont know why we hoof it to him when we bring him on for last 10-15 mins. All things considered, think he did ok. Lets just play him upfront with Ings and see what he can actually do yeah?

Ward-Prowse - 5 - Think he's a bit upset to not be the 'golden boy' anymore, but did himself no favours last night. Absolutely ridiculous push in stoppage time. Probably a bit upset Bertrand wouldnt let him take the penalty, but needs to sort it out.

Davis - 5 - Needed a bruiser on, got Davis. Dont know if he did anything. Romeu (if on bench!) or Yoshida next time please!

One was a defender the other a forward. I watched it and came to the same judgement as the 2 players. If you had watched Sky's analysis you would Im sure agree that he should have taken it.

The game changed on that moment and for the first time since he as been inthe team I have blamed McCarthy.

Where were the defenders thou? You cannot blame one player. I've watched several "analysis" and don't agree with them. Even if the keeper comes, it's not acceptable for 4 professional defenders to not mark

Mo - 6 - Failed to get that into the game, but a couple of good touches and passes. Solid if unspectacular.

Long - 5 - Never looks likely to score. Won a couple of headers, but failing at crucial times.

Re Moi: Would prefer to see Armstrong.

Re Long: Such a conundrum with him. He stretches the defence but then makes a gash of any chance that comes his way. Great run at one point only to miss a rather simple lob over the keeper. Got free in the box a couple of times only to fall over his own feet.

We need some who can finish that can take on his running about a lot job. Maybe Ings?