Saints 2-2 Brighton - Reaction

Lighthouse

Apparently a saints fan was arrested for a "Homophobic hand gesture" !? What the **** is a homophobic hand gesture?

Indeed he was. It’s laughable.

Let’s not forget, if I let off a flare I’d get a 3 year ban. They always harp on about people with asthma etc. Yet our own club do far worse in the name of entertainment at the start. Pathetic club at the moment in just about every way.

Indeed he was. It’s laughable.

Let’s not forget, if I let off a flare I’d get a 3 year ban. They always harp on about people with asthma etc. Yet our own club do far worse in the name of entertainment at the start. Pathetic club at the moment in just about every way.

About time the club put their core focus on the product on the pitch, not fannying around with pyro shows, US coaching initiatives and growing our presence in China (which won't happen).

I don't understand why Long is anywhere near the team, he might be a 'good guy' in the dressing room but he is reaching the effectiveness of a mascot on the pitch.

Why keep Gallagher at the club if he is not going to play, his pace and presence up front in the 2nd half could have caused problems as they pushed for the equaliser and he can actually do stuff like control a ball and kick a football.

Did his hamstring in training on Saturday. Nothing major.

Clearly written by someone who has never played in goal. The freekick was excellent, as it was taken it you would've probably not read the swing and assumed it wasn't coming as close, hence why he retreated to his line, and by this point the swing on the ball had carried it to the point of no return and unless he gambled and stayed put, (which has a higher risk of error), he did the correct thing by retreating and not coming to claim the ball.

The FACT two players are unmarked, completely unchallenged is the problem, if they were marked it was a simple header clear.

The cross, if taken by JWP, you'd all be salivating and not blaming the opposing keeper.

Once he started going backwards, he was on his heels and in no position to stop any header. His starting position gave him little option but to go for the centre. Why he didn't, God only knows. What impressed me about him last season was his command of the box.

I qualify this opinion by stating I was a terribly gifted keeper back in the day.

Apparently a saints fan was arrested for a "Homophobic hand gesture" !? What the **** is a homophobic hand gesture?

I think it's when you sort of hang your wrist kind of limply. Normally accompanied by going "yoooohoooo" or something like that in a high-pitch.

I saw it. He tried to get that Lallana "He plays on the left, he plays on the right..." chant going with the actions... hopefully they'll lock him up and throw away the key

Where were the defenders thou? You cannot blame one player. I've watched several "analysis" and don't agree with them. Even if the keeper comes, it's not acceptable for 4 professional defenders to not mark

The defenders were holding the line , if all had kept the line the Brighton players would have been offside, unfortunately Vestergaard moved backwards and then they had the run on th rest of the defenders. That doesn't gloss over that it was a basic catch for a keeper. He had the whole of the box empty at time of the ball being played and only had to come out and collect the ball. He doesn't usually shy away from coming and punching, on this occasion it was a massive mistake

The defenders were holding the line , if all had kept the line the Brighton players would have been offside, unfortunately Vestergaard moved backwards and then they had the run on th rest of the defenders. That doesn't gloss over that it was a basic catch for a keeper. He had the whole of the box empty at time of the ball being played and only had to come out and collect the ball. He doesn't usually shy away from coming and punching, on this occasion it was a massive mistake

So the defenders were to blame not holding the line, no sorry the goalkeeper. I heard the goalkeeper was at fault for Hojbergs goal, Brighton have docked him weeks wages for not claiming the shot.

Thought we were far the better team in the first half, but only going in at 1-0 of course the other team are going to come out and go for it. The trouble is with us sitting off continually and praying we hold onto that lead. The equaliser became inevitable, but what on earth was JWP thinking?!

My player ratings

McCarthy - 7 - one or two really good stops, possibly could've done slightly better with first goal?

Cedric - 6 - thought looked good going forwards. Bit shaky occasionally at the back.

Hoedt - 7 - dont get the hate. Looked solid and a couple of great tackles to stop Brighton breaks.

Vest - 7 - Looks decent.

Bertrand - 7 - Got forward well, bit unlucky with the freekick near the end

Redmond - 7 - Very lively first half and did a few Brighton players, faded a bit second half

Hojberg - 8 - Again our best player. What a goal!

Lemina - 6.5 - Looked really good in patches, a bit sloppy at other times.

Mo - 6 - Failed to get that into the game, but a couple of good touches and passes. Solid if unspectacular.

Ings - 7 - Looked bright and did well to win and score the penalty.

Long - 5 - Never looks likely to score. Won a couple of headers, but failing at crucial times.

Subs

Gabbiadini - 6 - isnt a target man, so dont know why we hoof it to him when we bring him on for last 10-15 mins. All things considered, think he did ok. Lets just play him upfront with Ings and see what he can actually do yeah?

Ward-Prowse - 5 - Think he's a bit upset to not be the 'golden boy' anymore, but did himself no favours last night. Absolutely ridiculous push in stoppage time. Probably a bit upset Bertrand wouldnt let him take the penalty, but needs to sort it out.

Davis - 5 - Needed a bruiser on, got Davis. Dont know if he did anything. Romeu (if on bench!) or Yoshida next time please!

How could JWP have taken the penalty when he was sitting on the subs bench at the time??

So the defenders were to blame not holding the line, no sorry the goalkeeper. I heard the goalkeeper was at fault for Hojbergs goal, Brighton have docked him weeks wages for not claiming the shot.
No the keeper was the major culprit os he didnt do the simple take of the ball. The defender was at fault for not holding the line, but that would not have been the issue if the keeper had done his job. You can always point to more than one factor when letting in a goal, but normally there is one glaring mistake, and on this it was McCarthy

No the keeper was the major culprit os he didnt do the simple take of the ball. The defender was at fault for not holding the line, but that would not have been the issue if the keeper had done his job. You can always point to more than one factor when letting in a goal, but normally there is one glaring mistake, and on this it was McCarthy

Incorrect, Keeper shouldn't come for that sort of ball and defence should deal with it. They didn't mark, they didn't hold line and they didn't communicate. Stop being so quick to blame the GK. 10 Players infront of him.

When he feels safe to do so and is in an area he can deal with it.

Which it was. Wasn't it headed in from about 1 yard in front of Mccarthy's starting position before the kick? There was also fault elsewhere but he definitely should have come for it and punched it out. He's otherwise been excellent though, so an isolated mistake hopefully.

Which it was. Wasn't it headed in from about 1 yard in front of Mccarthy's starting position before the kick? There was also fault elsewhere but he definitely should have come for it and punched it out. He's otherwise been excellent though, so an isolated mistake hopefully.

He wouldn't have made it, and they would've scored. 100 percent FACT

Atmosphere was poor again tonight. Hated that stupid cringey lightshow and flames.

Clappers also f*cking annoying. Saw a few day trippers leave at 60/65 mins - hope we do go down and shed a load of this crap that comes with the prem.

The whole St Mary's 'show' is embarrassing. The so-called atmosphere dire. Sanitised patronising crap served for tourists and gormless students who secretly support Man U.

Hughes will still be here even if we go down, which is increasingly becoming more a probability than a possibility. Nobody upstairs has the bottle to admit three humungous cock-ups of appointments in a row. Top jobs would go immediately because one of their principal tasks is to recruit the right people in key positions. Also, we have no money (apparently) to pay him off. We will be stuck with him in the Championship until his contract expires.

I've already stopped listening to his glib and predictable press previews and disingenuous post match comments. If he knows we are crap then say we are crap... oh, I forgot it's his job to make sure we are not crap.

If it was a penalty offence shouldn’t the ref have given Ward-Prowse a yellow card?

No. You're thinking of DOGSOs, yellow card instead of red if a penalty is conceded (and there is a genuine attempt to play the ball). As there was no "obvious goalscoring opportunity", or indeed much semblance of a foul at all, don't get me started, it wasn't a card of any kind.

I think you underestimate the speed of delivery of set pieces in the Premier League. Even playing parks level a drilled corner gives the keeper practically no time to react, with Prem players capable of higher ball speed with dip and swerve the keeper's not coming (and leaving the goal open) unless he is absolutely certain he'll get the ball.

Keeper should have come. He doesn't have to catch it, or punch it cleanly, just affect the ball. Sky pretty much showed this after the game. It's gone now so no point dwelling, and besides Alex has made some top drawer saves since he's been in.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Hughes will still be here even if we go down, which is increasingly becoming more a probability than a possibility. Nobody upstairs has the bottle to admit three humungous cock-ups of appointments in a row. Top jobs would go immediately because one of their principal tasks is to recruit the right people in key positions. Also, we have no money (apparently) to pay him off. We will be stuck with him in the Championship until his contract expires.

I've already stopped listening to his glib and predictable press previews and disingenuous post match comments. If he knows we are crap then say we are crap... oh, I forgot it's his job to make sure we are not crap.

It is NOT inevitable we will get relegated. However, we are in the mix. This has been on the cards for some time and the years when we finished in the top 10 were the 'golden years'. Trouble is, some people unrealistically began to dream this would be the norm and closed their ears to the more objective posters.

If you take a high line then that suggests that the keeper is ready to come and clean out anything in and around the 6 yard box.

Keeper error. Move on. He's not anywhere close to being dropped.

It was f****** Christmas for Brighton, the number of gifts we offered them. One crumb of comfort was how bad they were. Could easily be a Championship game next season, looked liked a Championship game at times.